// should never

the land beneath, the sky above

 

 

the closet is dark.

(and thank god for that.)

“you really don’t know?” chaewon whispers, disbelieving, exhaled breath only inches away from hitomi’s face. hitomi makes to nod, then she remembers the darkness.

“…yes?” she haltingly replies. “yuri dragged me into the game.”

chaewon grumbles something under her breath, the fast sentence suspiciously sounding like this is tragic, and then a measured inhale follows. “okay so,” chaewon pauses then continues, “you should never agree to play games you don’t fully understand the rules of.”

“it’s yuri,” hitomi answers, and what she means is it’s yuri so she trusts that she won’t get hitomi into risky situations, but she’s a little tipsy and long sentences are hard to come by.

chaewon sighs, “even so.” the grip around hitomi’s arm loosens. “you’re also a little drunk. do you not know how dangerous it can be if this happened somewhere in a bar and it wasn’t me with you in here?”

hitomi blinks slowly, squinting. “um, no?” at chaewon’s deepest sigh yet, she adds, “i told you i don’t understand the rules, unnie.”

“right, right. well. seven minutes in heaven is just—two people spending seven minutes in a dark enclosed space.”

a quick look-around to her dark surrounding. “figured as much.”

“they can do whatever they choose, unless the party decided on a standard beforehand.”

hitomi sways a little on her feet. “party?” she tilts her head, “did… we decide on one?”

chaewon clears . the warmth around hitomi seems to draw away a tad, and the next whisper is almost too faint for her to catch,

“itwaskissingbutwereallydonthavetodothat.”

hitomi blinks. she inches closer in her fuzzy attempt to hear chaewon more clearly, “’m sorry? i didn’t—”

and then there are palms rested against her upper chest, refraining her from leaning even more forward. “i said,” chaewon whispers, sounding oddly breathless, “we don’t have to do it.”

hitomi frowns. “why?” chaewon’s warmth feels so comforting, and she tries to press forward, but chaewon clutches at her shoulders and shakes her head.

“hitomi, no.” has no always sounded more annoying when you’re tipsy? hitomi wonders. chaewon adds, “you’ll—thank me when you’re sober. probably. just trust me on this, okay?”

hitomi makes a defeated sound, and glances up to where chaewon’s face is supposed to be. “fine,” she says, sounding petulant even to her own ears, “but can we hug?”

a considering beat. “sure,” chaewon softly says, and hitomi giggles at that, swaying forward and letting her head fall on the slant of chaewon’s neck. there's a pair of arms move to coil around her back and she wonders if she’s just imagining the slight shiver of the older girl when hitomi shifts her head slightly, but chaewon sighs and moves to rest her own head against hitomi’s, silent but warm.

the thought fizzles out, replaced with contentment.

 

*

 

[hitomi > chaewon]

hitomi: good afternoon chaewon-unnie!

chaewon: Ah good afternoon

hitomi: so yuri told me that the decided action was kissing

chaewon: How’s your
chaewon:
chaewon: I think eunbi-unnie is calling me goodbye

hitomi: i vaguely recalled you whispering “this is tragic”, unnie
hitomi: did you mean what i think you meant
hitomi: or should i not look too much into it?

chaewon: How are you so coherent you’re supposed to have a hangover

hitomi: for the record
hitomi: you said i’ll thank you when i’m sober and
hitomi: you’re right! i’m thankful that you’re looking out for me but
hitomi: i also wish you would’ve kissed me anyway

chaewon:
chaewon: What

hitomi: i said
hitomi: you should've kissed me anyway

chaewon: Oh.
chaewon: Oh I
chaewon: Are you. Sober now

hitomi: i’m in the laundry room :)

chaewon: That's not an answer but okay
chaewon: Okay I'm coming