Chapter 4 Part 2

GERVAIS

Silent was all we gave after Jongdae’s words rang through the calm room. Gervais mark is familiar to us for it already embeds on our upper arm’s skin, the only thing which could tell what we are, apart from our ability obviously. And every one of us has a symbol engrave below; it showed what part of a group we’re in. While I’m in Kris leadership thus I had a dragon mark the same as the rest of the team. We never try to share our mark with anyone, and certainly not with a low class of a mere mercenary.

 

I thought we’re the only creatures with these marks, after all living a few centuries we never come across another one besides us. We’re too accustomed to Kris’ symbol to the point another symbol was beyond our mental capability, a water one of that. As long as I know, none of us can control water, maybe Minseok could but if only he plans on freezing it and only then he could control it as he pleases.

 

I start coming to a conclusion that this all just a big mistake, maybe somehow the mundane know our mark then they draw it out of entertainment, for those hooded guys perhaps they’re a magician and were pulling off some tricks. I was ready to voice my mind when I captured my leader in stiff posture. He had stopped pacing and acting desperate, instead of on his face placed widened eyes. I may have thought he’s in shock like the other but when I see his clench fist, I see something which makes me realize my worst assumption of imagining there’s another Gervais out there was true, and he knew.

 

His face was enough to announce it as if everything clicked into one big picture after missing several pieces of puzzles. Everything we said this afternoon was enough for him to be sure of some information we clearly left out. We did everything for him yet he dares to hide this from us? We have been anything but faithful to him and this is what we got? To be left in the dark at something this crucial?

 

My power was overflowing right now as I was too consumed with rage when I flipped the glass table, throw it into the air, and smash into a million pieces whilst it collides with the door behind me.  In seconds I was up and stand right in front of him. I gave him a deadly smirk the moment my teammate rush to me, grabbing my elbow. I was so stupid to able to forget what kinda man Kris is, how I forget my hatred for him.

 

“What the hell are you doing Luhan?!” Zittao was gripping my shoulder hard; he’s forcing me to walk away. I rip his hand off of me to proceed with my glaring to my leader.

 

“This bastard knows! He knows about this all along!”

 

All of his invincible worry the past few months, coercing us to practice every time, something he never concerned about in the first place is revealing the truth. Shielding us from the past battle by holding us out of it wasn’t because he’s sure he would win without us, wasn’t because he’s too arrogant to think he doesn’t need us. In fact, it was another thing entirely. He knows there is someone who bears this specialty, however, he doesn’t know what power they possess and that’s why he was acting like a coward, he was too scared he’d lose us in upcoming battle thus resulting in him to go without our aid.

 

The other seems to confuse as they searched Kris’s face for an explanation. He let out a frustrated groan when he walked away from us. I spotted his desk just a few feet from him and sharply move it to his way, an effective plan to make him stop and turn with deadly eyes on me.

 

“Control your act, Luhan.” He was shaking with fury eating me whole. If there’s one thing he can’t tolerate its disrespect. He won’t accept being look down and my previous action was enough sending him to his edge. Unfortunately, I don’t care.

 

“Speak.” I growled.

 

He pinched the bridge of his nose, accepting he can’t avoid us on this matter. Walking to his desk, he opens a drawer and pulls out a bunch of paper clipped together with a big bold word of CLASSIFIED on the cover. He handed over to Lay who stepped forward to receive it. He flipped the first paper revealing a map with a circle mark on it, focusing on region name writing. What shock me was the fact that it was on another side of the world, separated by thousands of miles away from our position.

 

Each paper having information on the place we never have seen before. A compound ground much like us surrounded by 5 houses all around it. As if they’re guarding the gigantic main house in the middle. Then another picture with a clear image of our fear, someone stood in some clearing his back facing us, his broad shoulder making a flawless view of his own Gervais watermark on his suit. I stopped reading the papers and take a step back flabbergasted.

 

“I first know it about nine months ago while we’re battling in Canada. When I confront one of the human leaders, he was mouthing rubbish, refusing to believe that his village got attacked by people with special abilities again. But we’ve never come to that place before, so it was safe to say there’re others like us.”

 

“How did you get all of this?” Lay asked, still fondling with the papers while the majority of us stopped like me and take a seat, dreading feelings drown them knowing news too surreal for them to handle.

 

“I hire someone to track whatever is out there. First few months we got nothing. Well, it’s not a shock seeing as we search blindly without any clue on what to find. But the following month news about a pack of an army was seen around here….” He pointed out on a map we saw earlier. “….my tracker seems to focus on them and noticed the same thing as what Jongdae sees.”

 

“Then what’s your plan? Surely you can’t just sit here doing nothing while we got a real challenge out there.” Zittao’s panicked voice makes the air seemed to be vacuumed from the surrounding area as tension took its place.

 

“I’m planning on putting at least one of my men there. We need to know what they’re capable of before we attack.” Kris’s voice was distant and uncertain, he doubts what moves he should take next, and that’s the time I know we’re in deep . “I have yet make a decision on whose going.”

 

I took a long breath as I lean on my hand. I don’t need these right now, maybe after a few days for me to rest then I can face whatever is concerning. I can feel a headache coming when I lightly massage my temple, desperately hoping to get this pain at ease. I’m tired, hungry, and in need of a hot bath to relax my tense muscles, but a new problem was shoved in its places.

 

Sounds of papers being flipped were the only thing we could hear, even our breath seems to be out, leaving our mind solely focus on trying to solve this. One way or another someone from the main team would be forced to carry out this new problem. Just thinking about how much trouble they would’ve handled, brings more pain to my head. Nobody’s looking forward to this, and by studying their faces I know they dreaded the time when one of us would be chosen. As long it isn’t me, I gave this plan full support.

 

Suddenly sirens could be heard blazing so hard causing us to sprung to our feet, looks lost and confused we face each other. Is there another mission for us? But we just got back, above it all, I don’t recall Kris said about any job addition. I wait a while for the sirens to be off, maybe someone turn it on accident. But seconds passes and the siren's still heard, even louder than ever before.

 

I glance to Zittao as he asked Kris if he establishes some work for us again but he just shook his head, declaring he knows we need to rest before another battle again. He scrunches his eyebrows, seeming lost just as much as we are. Then out of nowhere, a booming sound was heard near us followed by the ground shaking wildly. We hang tight on whatever we could use to stable our footing. Panic rose within me wanting to know what’s going on.

 

I quickly run towards the window when I see a soft glow of orange, this couldn’t be happening. When I placed my hand on its railing, what I saw shocked me, rooted me to floor disbelieving the scene down below. Several houses and small building around us was being burned down, the field where we would practice every time was loaded with our people running in bewilderment, if not fear. We teach everyone on this compound to kill their fear, to never feel any of it if they want to live here. Yet right now, that emotion was the only thing plastered on their face.

 

We’re being invaded. We’re being attacked. I freeze for a moment. Who on their right mind would do such a ridiculous thing?

 

By now everyone had joined me to take a view. I almost laugh if I didn’t stifle it right away. This is amazing! I have lived long enough to see this actually happening! We’re considered to be the best - well honestly we are the best – on the battlefield, no one has attacked us before and it sure as hell not in our place. Whoever plans this must think they would win, they must think they could beat us in our own house.

 

“Who is sane enough to do this?” Someone yelled in astonishment.

 

Another boom was heard so ing near we need to cover our ears from its deafening sound. Then all adoring feeling I had for the person who did this drained out off of me as the building we’re currently in was shaking. The ceiling above us was flunking as bit by bit the walls fall out leaving a big gaping hole to the open night. This building is going to collapse any second. !

 

Someone calls my name to grab my attention, Kris is gripping his desk for dear life, asking me or rather yelling at me to try and hold this building while they find a way out. Oh, me. Killing humans were rather easy for all I do was snap their bones here and there, but holding a whole building from falling was a whole different thing. I could maybe do as told but for sure it won’t be for long, yet there isn’t any other option. Ugh.

 

Allowing my eyes to become pitch black I let out a breath as I slowly surround this edifice with my power, crouching down I placed my hand on the floor. I can feel this place was leaning on its right way too much. The floors below us got shattered as I assume that’s where the bomb hit earlier. Gritting my teeth I try to stop it from moving, taking the weight of a whole edifice on my ability. I groan out loud when it finally stopped. My whole body felt like an elephant placed on my shoulders. ! !

 

My teammates sense its halted destruction, act fast as Jongdae struck a wall hardly right next to us creating a huge hole leading outside. Short pants exiting my mouth whilst I ignore an urge to scream when his escape way was attacking my mind for I already cover every bit of this place. As if someone had plunged a knife into my brain. Tightly keeping my eyes closed, I try my hardest to keep going.

 

“Come! I’ll carry you all down!” Kris shouted. His affinity for flying really did come in handy at a time like this.

 

One by one they all got out with Kris’ help.  But the second Kris tries to drag me out I stop him. He yelled at me to stop wasting time but he doesn’t get it. We’re in a ing building on the fourth floor; surely we can’t be the only one in here.

 

“Help the others first!” I gritted out angrily. “Check the other floors!”

 

Realization comes to him as he blinked repeatedly and flew back out. My breathing was hard by now, every second that passes seems to add the weight I hold. I was starting to struggle to steady it. I wait eagerly for Kris to come back releasing me from all of this but no matter how much I called him I can’t see him. It took too ing long to evacuate everybody. Doesn’t he remember who is keeping this building stands?!

 

Little rants I think to make me slipping, I almost lost my hold for a second and this place was collapsing to right way again fast. Sharp intake breath I make didn’t help anymore for it only multiplied my burden, difficulty in staying strong. I was desperately spurting my power to it last, it was so ing hurt. My feet feel like jelly even I find it hard to stay on both feet. I felt being slammed into a wall repeatedly with every weight on this world brought to me. It was starting to hurt opening my eyes, obviously focusing way too hard.

 

Then at last Kris appeared in front of me. He extends his hand for me to take, a look of worry cross his feature. Slowly I make way to him by the hole Jongdae made, desperately not losing any grasp I have in process or else I would be crushed. And when he finally had a firm grip on me he flew out with me. A moment after I was out from that hole I let go, my eyes back to normal. The building of six stories falls down hard, leaving dry cement to rise.

 

After Kris put me down to stand on my own, my knees give away. I slumped down, still panting for breath. My head is hurting badly, throbbing like never before. The whole team was rushing to my aid in an instant. I felt rage; I wanted to kill the one who did this. I don’t care who are they messing with, but if they thought draining me would save them, they got another one coming.

 

Facing the sky I let my power surge again and feel our attacker. I can tell they’re battling our last line in defense only a few hundred meters from where we’re. I manage to conceal all of them. I was quite surprised they last this long with small men with them. What the hell is wrong with our defenses?! Refusing to let any of this go any further, I dislocated their ribs causing it to prick their hearts. Killing them painfully slow.

 

“Luhan what are you doing?” Lay shout whilst shaking my arms. “Stop! You’re bleeding!”

 

I stopped using my ability and slumped forward to Lay, completely exhausted. I swat his hand away when he tries to examine me, I told him I’m fine that’s just a nosebleed, all I need is rest and I’ll live. When I looked up to ask everyone to step away from that they’re cutting my oxygen level, Kris’ face had me froze. He looks at me in adore, thankful, a little worry but what I saw next having me grinned inside; fear.

 

“I’m sending you there.” He said looking right at me. Shocked swallowing me whole, even he didn’t detail what he meant I fully know where it is; the other Gervais.