Chapter 6 – First Stage

GERVAIS

“Oh please it was obvious we got a rat in our system.”

 

“What makes you think that way? Why can’t you see that maybe there’s something wrong with our defense?”

 

“Listen here s, no one from my training ground had ever had a problem with protecting our land. You know it damn well I trained those guys! And I never cause mistakes with my men!”

 

“So what? Nobody is perfect, boy! There’s a first for everything, perhaps this is the time when you finally make a mistake.”

 

Oh, screw this! I can’t stand these rotten supervisors anymore. One more questioning about how I build our soldier to shape; bodies will start falling, with or without blood pouring out of their mouth. I’m going to make sure my long waited wish for killing them will get fulfilled. If Kris wants to take extra cautious and add a bunch more back up to trail me then so be it. I am not listening to this crap anymore.

 

Supervisors have somehow pushed the blame to me yet again. They presume our defense who by the way were trained by me, is what makes our assassination get weaken, thus explaining why we’re attacked in the first place and how they even succeeded in bombing various buildings. These dogs are crippled I tell you, they stubbornly believe their rank is above me. Just because Kris asked them for an in and out safe route, their rotten brains grasp an idea that they’re all mighty.

 

They stupidly fall for Kris charm, sewing a deep loyalty for our leader only. They don’t think for one second Kris could replace any of them without breaking a sweat. We have been all over the world for centuries, our so-called supervisors always change with every place we’ve come to. And the moment we need to leave again? We can’t afford anyone noticing our position right? So, we use an easy way out; killing everyone whom we hired on that perimeter. They just don’t realize it yet that they’re living their last days here.

 

Standing up as I fist the oval wooden table, I noticed they all snicker in my direction. I’m ready to launch a full attack on them but a small movement at the corner of my eyes stopped me. Kris was there, holding up a remote to control the silver bracelet which he insisted on keeping it for a while. I gritted my teeth trying to make myself calm. Then a slim hand circles their way to my wrist, turning me to face Lay. He gives me a small smile. He knows I was agitated thus he starts leading me out of this meeting room and brought me to the roof garden one floor above.

 

“I was about to kill them,” I said, not looking anywhere particular. My voice was monotone.

 

Lay just chuckles, he shook his head whilst making way to sit on the bench up front. He looks behind his shoulder and pats the spot next to him, signaling he wants me to sit. I exhale deeply, pinching the bridge of my nose the moment I granted his wish.

 

“I know. One more minute in there and I would’ve let you do that.” He grinned at me like a cheesier cat.

 

We sat there in the darkness not minding our thoughts heading towards someplace far away from here. I could faintly imagine what chaos occurring right now back at the meeting room. Kris must’ve postponed it and dismiss everybody. After all, that meeting happened only because they demand my incompetence must be judged. But if I’m not even present, what reason needed to continue staying there?

 

Resting my head back I face the black sky with eyes closed. My eyes rewinding Kris's last episode with me in his room; him looking serious when he offers something I won’t ever refuse. Leaving this place was all I ever wanted. It’s not because I don’t find the thrill in killing anymore, no. I always felt alive when I know I have so much control when I confront our enemy. I feel giddy as I picture their fear-filled eyes looking at us, begging us to let them go and have mercy. I know I couldn’t throw this lifestyle away.

 

But I’m not ready to let him go, I need to see him just one more time. And I can’t do that if I’m still trapped under Kris's authority. Many years I spent dreaming I can be free from this pack, thinking that if I manage to get out of here what I can do to find the truth. Scheming a few steps, forcing Kris to let me have what I want. But right now when he actually pushed it to my face, I’m having a second thought. This plan, me going to an enemy’s lair and playing spy on them? Who knows how long this might take? I might never finish it in the first place, what happens if they found out? Kris will never bring me in; never want to take the blame.

 

I felt a soft touch on my forehead and slowly open my eyes. I peered over to Lay asking what the hell is he doing.

 

“Stop thinking too hard. You look constipated.” He said playfully before slapping my forehead once.

 

I batted his hand away when he starts laughing; he points out his hand place a print on my skin leaving a big red area. I scowl at him, furiously rubbed it until the color is back to normal. I try to see what my forehead looks like but that’s impossible without a mirror, therefore I only manage to scrunch my eyebrow with my sight glued to the middle of it. I sigh when I decided to give it up and instead just pay Lay the same treatment. I leered over to him with a smirk stretched on my face but when I see him I’m surprised, he has his head sideways on his hand as he smiles genuinely watching me.

 

“You accepted his offers didn’t you?” I was taken aback with his questions. My mood of being playful washed off completely. I sigh loudly, breaking eye contact with him.

 

“How can I say no?”

 

“Do you really want to leave that badly?” The end of his voice was trailing off. Maybe afraid of what will I say next.

 

Again, I was momentarily shocked. But I know what I want. That’s why I can answer his question loud and clear, “Yes.” He nodded his head at the ground, forcing a route to understand whatever reasons I have, this is what I wanted. “I have to find someone Lay. And you know he won’t let me go no matter what, he’s too afraid I won’t come back. So now when I have the chance, I must take it.”

 

Maybe this is the only way, or perhaps there will be more opportunities in the future. But I can’t risk it. 

 

Years spent here was nothing but a passing wind. I pretend to see what I don’t like and think that’s being strong. I told myself to it up and let it go then be forgotten because it was too hard bearing a fact that I sacrificed my loved one. Because it was too hard to keep on remembering him hurting in my place. But forgetting him is so surreal to me, it doesn’t make any sense and just simply impossible.

 

It’s too late I know, seven hundred years too late. I can’t even touch, see or feel him no more. Maybe if I’m granted the wildest dream and appear in front of him, he may curse the life out off of me. With his cold and hard gaze setting fire on my body, he may even kill me right on sight with no remorse whatsoever. He’ll hate me for sure. I laugh lowly, all the things I put up with just to see someone who wants me dead more than everyone. But at least I can repay my mistake.

 

Loud clap sound brought me back to Lay. He has some kind of determination on his face. I look at him confused as hell, he’s been acting weird today. Am I finally successful at driving him insane with my act all this time? He stands abruptly and holds his hand out for me while grinning. I raised an eyebrow; he has completely lost it I’m sure.

 

“Welcome aboard partner.” He said still stretching a half-smile. “I’m coming with you. He asked me to.” This time his smile was completely gone with his eyes drive down fixing on the ground.

 

Hell no! This is my mission, mine alone. I won’t drag Lay into this, I won’t ever drag anyone into this.

 

“Before you get mad at Kris, you need to know that he asked me. He gave me a choice, and I said yes.” He sounded delirious right now, who on their right mind would want to be put in this kind of dangerous situation? I looked at him speechless. “What can I say? I can’t bear knowing you going alone into a lion’s den.” He chuckles lowly at himself.

 

Screw this. Sure I know he sometimes worries about me, but only because me and him go way back. We’re the first one who’d recruited by Kris. We connect more to each other than the rest of the team. He’s the only one who can keep my emotions under control, at first practicing grabbing or throwing objects could get a little tricky and I often get influenced by my mood, but whenever he’s around I could handle pretty much everything. He’s the only one who can control me without me misbehaving. But this, even following me right into obvious trouble? This is not what I needed.

 

“You can’t do anything Luhan, I get to say who’s going.” Out of nowhere, Kris appears from the darkness behind me. His eyes are hard, clearly, he’s not impressed by me walking out earlier. “You will go with them.”

 

That perked my ears, ‘them’? What the hell is he babbling about? I could barely handle Lay alone but now he’s sending someone else with me? Why haven’t I heard any of this agreement before? I asked Lay who else is going to come but his lips remain shut, I noted he maybe not aware of this either. Instead, Kris answers it in his place with a firm tone; Jongdae.

 

This time I really am shocked by his choice, I couldn’t help myself as I giggle like a mad man. Me and Jongdae stuck close to each other for god knows how long it means disaster. I easily got into a fight with him; he was so easy to tease. We were always on each other throat, in fact, the only time we’re actually cool is when we’re on the battleground. I’m actually quite surprised now after ten days back I never actually see him anywhere. Maybe this was the reason? He was preparing to leave as well?

 

Kris was looking at me like I had gone insane but from the end of my sightline, I could see the corner of Lay’s lip tugging a bit. He fully knows what I’m thinking right now, he also knows this is nowhere near good. By what Kris has filled me, I know I’ll be leaving the day after tomorrow. At first, I have no intention of knowing the full plan but now when two of his finest fighter going, I desperately want to. Had he no worries about protection on his own land?  He can only rely on Minseok now on defending with power. And how can he get me on that Gervais’ property?

 

“How can you get us in any way? Surely we can’t just come around knocking on their door.” I said when I force down my giggling.

 

“I’m glad you asked.” He smirks so wide revealing his pearly white teeth and somehow I can feel my skin crawl. I’m not going to like this. “Keep this in mind; I still control your bracelet and your tracker is fully operational, so no funny business. See you in a while.”

 

“What the hell are yo-“ That’s when I felt it, the pain was familiar from this method but like never before. He fully amplified its power and this time I can’t gain more time to speak nor see. My eyes are shut tight my body completely paralyzed. Next thing I know I was out like a light.

 

 

My mind’s hazy and a layer of black blocks my eyes, however, I can still sense the room around me. A veil of serenity covers my body, shielding me from the chilly air. But it’s too quiet, too blank to be real. With a fixed destination on my mind slowly I gain back control over my body. Bit by bit I can comprehend my surrounding. It feels like someone opened a window, letting light surge into the room; my mind’s clearing. The darkness thins, leaving nothing as various colors take its place and warmth spread over my body. But I still can’t move.

 

I’m on a bed I realize. With a few machine hooked up on me. The smell of bleach reach me, it was suffocating, yet I don’t have control over my limbs to get rid of it. Next, I hear soft murmurs coming through the wall. One sounds frantic and the other calm and collected. I can make out they are on an argument, a problem where one believes it’s a trap. I strain my ears to listen more to understand what they meant but words mix up together and I give up. Whatever Kris did to me back then causes me hard to focus. And above all, there’s a ringing sound in my head and it makes me slightly dizzy.

 

The voices stop and footsteps follow, leading away until they become silent. The doorknob turns with a click and creak was heard then the door closed again with a hard slam. Another heavy footstep leads closer and closer towards the bed. I can feel someone’s gaze on me as they sit down on a chair next to me making its leather squeak slightly. We stay like this in silence with only our breath indicating our presence. I try to ignore them, I need to figure out my teammates, where are they actually? If my guts are right; this is Kris way in. Perhaps I am already in another country. I know Lay and Jongdae did not get the bracelet treatment but I can’t be sure of it. The last thing I remember was falling to the ground with Kris taunting eyes on me. I have to find them.

 

My body stays still no matter how hard I try to move. I kept on chanting to get up in my head. I have to escape from here, that’s the only thing running through my mind. My body lay utterly still refusing to cooperate. I try to clench the muscle in my hand, and slowly I curl my fingers by my side. And when I about to open my eyes I remember I still have company, I can’t take any risks with my current states, they could be the Gervais here and I can’t defend myself properly if a battle occurs. I stop all my struggles and pretend I was still unconscious.

 

“I know you’re awake.” A male voice with a clue of accusation said. He must be the one sitting next to me right now.

 

Putting up an act is fruitless but I know I wouldn’t have a chance to stand against him for now. All worry aside I decided to put my faith in luck and then lift my eyelids, spreading them apart. First, everything’s blurry but vision starts to clear and the outline of the ceiling becomes visible. I sit up ever so slowly and pull the blankets off my chest, just noticing I’m wearing hospital clothes. When moving my eyes to the side I see a man sitting comfortably with hands folded in front of his chest, studying me. He was wearing a silk black suit and the aura surrounding him screams authority and great power.

 

I watch him carefully whilst he stood up and glare at me, “Now, could you state your purpose coming to my land?”

 

Of course, I remain silent. I’m not dumb enough to spill everything without Lay backing me up. I keep my gaze on him as he flicks his finger to a camera at the corner and asks whoever was listening to bring them in here. Oh , I’m so screwed right now. I tested every now and then to test whether I can move something with my mind or not but all attempts were futile. I can’t even move my legs how the hell I can use my power.

 

Next thing I know the door burst open revealing two people with the same suit. One with black hair and the other’s light brown. I can’t help but notice the one who has dark hair was wearing a scowl on his face, and he looks ready to whine any moment now. He was tapping his foot against the floor repeatedly. Clearly he was pissed to be summoned here.

 

“What do you want? I’m sleepy!” The dark hair said. His voice was like an elementary kid wailing. God, that was annoying.

 

“Keep an eye on him, he stays with you.” The one who earlier sat beside me said with no more room for argument.

 

“Ugh, why? Throw him to our troops instead.” He keeps whining all the way and I found myself scrunching my eyebrows looking at him in disgust.

 

“What if he’s dangerous? They can’t handle that.” That whining kid was ready to retort back when the first guy holds up his hand silencing him. “No, I can’t kick him out unless I’m sure he’s clean and not mean any harm to us. Now I don’t want to hear anything else, just do what I told you for once.”

 

After that the kid kept his mouth shut while rolling his eyes. All of them leave the room except for him. He was scrunching me up and down, seeming to hate me already. He scoffs out loud while he too makes way to the door. He looks back to me behind his shoulder, “I’m not going to babysit you. So whenever you’re ready to stop being helpless and weak, find me.”

 

Why that little son of a !