Chapter 4 – Pick Your Poison

GERVAIS

Part 1

 

Today was abnormally hot. The weather was freaking grilling us, thus explain a gallon of sweats rolling all over my skin, my position right now didn’t throw me any help either. Being in the middle of the training field with a decoration of wind dragging dust along the way irked me to no extent.

                                    

The sun was blazing right above our heads probably boiling our brains yet these dimwits insist on having our annual meeting for practice undisturbed. And sadly this time I can’t slip through, not when the supervisor is still on my . Above all, my actions in our recent mission were stamped as a failure. It is because of my sudden movement invading our opponent to cost us more casualties. Kris coerced me to be at my best behavior the time we got back until he summons me with the rest of the team. Not to mention my new babysitters were gaining in numbers. I scowled at them who have been assigned for guarding me, or for translation to keep me quiet the same time not causing any more trouble.

 

Tch, some faith they had in me.

 

I trudge my way to Minseok on my left, thinking maybe he can cool me off a bit. He was seated on a rock near a tree before the rest of the team. Most of their heads hung low; clearly they too know we’d get a fit of Kris’s fury later. Somehow this time even if it’s clear I messed up, they didn’t try to blame me nor gang up on me. They override my error, though I’m pleased, this turbulence can’t be overlooked. They’re aware I’m hiding something.

 

“Yo, Minseok! Cool me off will you?” Apparently just heading to him was a big challenge. I push him to give me a little room before I sat next to him. I can’t seem to bring myself to understand how mortals can survive to live in the south with this extreme summer. I was starting to miss the foggy mountain back there. Ugh.

 

His left eyebrow slightly raised catching me in my state; drowning in my sweats. He stepped away so our skin isn’t touching, shrugging me off. “You do realize we have a rule saying we can’t use our powers for our own pleasure?” His smirk and a glint in his eyes were prominent I have him entertained. He was amused seeing my hard and ragged breath. Oh, such an amazing friendship we have.

 

“Like that would stop him.” Jongdae whip my thought away, the edge of his lip tugging up a little. He walks over to us patting Minseok's hand, signaling for him to move over, then Minseok was seated in the middle of me on his right and Jongdae on his left. “I’m with him this time. This heat is killing me!” He placed his head on Minseok's shoulder, begging him to let it happen already.

 

I heard Minseok's fine’ under his breath before he extends his hand out, palm up. His abilities of frosting things really come in handy this time around; tiny bits of snow slowly crawl out from his hand and into the air, slowly descending temperatures ‘till we all release a longing sigh, welcoming the new freshness. I close my eyes facing the sky yet don’t have to feel the entire heat. A wish for having an affinity to control the weather was becoming more and more tantalizing.

 

I sigh loudly, if only the one that could control it wasn’t a cunning little who wants nothing but out your power dry before she tears your throat out, maybe I could befriend her and use her ability to my advantage. It’s a pity really; her beauty was no match to any living creature out there. Everything about her looks defines perfection, blue-sky eyes accompanied by a soft lulling voice that would make any guy fall at her feet. Her long wavy black hair reaches her waist making her look like some kind of royalty. She’s a pretty doll type. Then again, her corrupted black heart hides within her façade. Shaking my head, I rid of these disgusting images of her and focused on relaxing.

 

A snap of someone’s finger makes me pop an eye open. Its Zittao, he was ordering us back to the main building, saying Kris called us and wanted our presence immediately.  Letting out a breath I stand up dusting off my pants while heading to Kris with the team groaning behind me. We’re not looking forward to being yelled at today, we just got back like three hours ago and in desperate need to sleep. Killing our opponents was not the one that had our energy drained, no, it was the road there and back. Our legs were killing us when we stepped out from our vehicle for being bent too long.

 

However now that I think about it, aside from we lost too many soldiers, we finish it really quickly. After Jongdae so kindly ‘safe’ me – though I don’t really need him, we all know gunshot can never kill us. Still, he insists he had saved me during that battle, it only took us 5 minutes top to clear our mission. Minseok and Jongdae went all out killing those mortals, saying they were starting to itch to use their practice to reality then I deal with the rest of them.

 

It’s quite humoring honestly, the aftereffect of our arrival was prominent. Even they won a chapter for their fantastic selection of weapons yet their skills were way lower than us. Their timing was disastrous as well as their mettle. They turn to statues when having face to face with us. And the villagers? The time we reach there, a good amount of them was already dead so it’s not a problem. Regardless our tedious task, I can’t forget the figures I met.

 

The time Zittao open a door to Kris’ office I snap out of my trance and see a square glass table among two sofas front on. Then there he is a little to back, sitting behind his desk wearing his glasses while organizing a pile of papers and reports. We all take a seat; I wait for all to step in first before I squeeze next to Lay taking a space further from Kris. He put down his glasses and strode to us, stopping in front of his desk leaning to it a bit as he studies us.

 

“Now will one of you explain what happened back there?” He narrowed his eyes on everyone in here, lingering a little longer on me but I refuse to acknowledge it. My mind was preoccupied with a clock in front of me, I’m certain my expression was a bored one.

 

“We did what you wanted us to do. We finished your order and avenge our loss.” Lay's voice was calm, already used dealing with a mad man. A fist slamming to the table in front of us stealing our distracted mind as we all whipped our head to see fuming Kris.

 

“Do you think I’m stupid?!” His yells reverberated of the cement walls. I couldn’t hear any movements except for the sound of a clock ticking. We fall dead silent whilst Kris continues his rants. “Half of your back up was dead. How is that possible? I thought you said you don’t need any mercenary to come. What will happen if I granted your wish back then?!”

 

I know he’s only worried but he can’t actually think we would be doomed without help right? Then what was the point of sending us to the battlefield in the first place if he’s certain we won’t make it out alive without a bunch of guys clearing a path for us? What the hell happened with his self-confidence and trust towards us. A few months ago he won’t be scared to ship us into one of his battles; he knows he won’t lose with the team under him.

 

Us, Gervais, is known to be the best when it comes to eliminating anyone. No matter what defense the other has, they’re no match for us. But these days, it’s like he’s scared we can’t win anything. Always forcing us to practice more than ever, assuming the worst of us.

 

“We won’t have any casualties.” I deadpanned.

 

“What did you say?” Kris gritted his words, challenging me if I dare step up to him again. I rolled my eyes at him; he must be deaf or something. “Ah, I remember now. In one of the reports, it says you suddenly bolted off leaving your teams to face off your enemies. And that’s the main reason your position was discovered.” His tone was accusing me I know it. He blames me for the death of his men.

 

“If you’re trying to put the blame on me, please find a better excuse. Our position was clear for all to see the moment that hooded guy put a light on all of us.” I rammed off, clenching my fist for his poor attempt to try and riled me off. Lay, Minseok and Jongdae turn their head sharply and face me. They didn’t know any of this.

 

“What do you mean? What light?”

 

I scowled at him, what is wrong with his informant? If he can tell off my action surely he won’t miss the absurd light appearing. Scanning my team faces, I wonder if they have seen it too. I can’t be the only one who notices it right? After all the light was so bright and it lit up the area for a good few seconds, it’s impossible they miss looking. Their faces were scrunched up in thinking manners.

 

“There’s this light illuminating our post when we’re in a hideout. I mean we’re deep enough in the forest there’s no chance we would shine off by anything. Even the moonlight was blocked by the thick fog surrounding us. We’re perfectly hidden but a sudden light, so bright, exposed us to our enemy.” Zittao’s voice strained as if he too can’t believe the past event.

 

Kris blinks his eyes as he takes the new information Zittao tipped him. We never occur anything like this before and honestly, it startled us. My questions too must be swimming in their heads all of this time. For the rest of them maybe they thought something logical like a flashlight that shone every direction, but for me who saw what produced it, I’m sure it was because of someone who possesses an ability.

 

“We all know about the light, but a hooded guy? Luhan, what are you talking about?” Minseok said he’s bewildered like I was when I notice that guy.

 

“As he said, we’re perfectly unnoticed in the forest but I can picture two-“my words were cut short by Lay.

 

“Two?! There were two of them?!” He shouted off, frustration clear on his voice. I know he must feel like a failure to miss this. I grab his hand when he begins pulling his hair out. Groaning out loud he stands up and grabs a bottle of water in the corner. I take this time to continue.

 

“There’s two hooded figure far from the battle. I begin to watch them and when their men report something, one of them produced this so-called light. That’s why I left my post, I was running to them.” I said glaring at Kris, but when I remember the after scene a frown crawl to my face.

 

“You’re hiding something. Tell us the rest of it.” Kris demanded from across the table.

 

I’m having an internal battle with myself. Wondering if I should tell them the truth or not. For all I know maybe this news can gain me a few advantages in the future, perhaps I can use it against Kris to force him to tell me his position. Perhaps I can make Kris bring back him to me. But before I can make any decision Kris slammed his fist again gaining my attention. I sigh, maybe not.

 

“You all know I can control my power perfectly….” I heard a scoff but choose to ignore it. “….but back then, when I had one of them in my grasp, I lost him.”

 

“How is that possible?! No one can break free from your ability!” Kris was losing his mind; he throws his hands in the air whilst mouthing nonsense. He starts pacing as he throws his hand to his hair constantly.

 

“I had a guy with light affinity with my power, and then the other guy suddenly appears out of nowhere, he emerges from thin air, grab the light guy after a second later they both disappear.”

 

“Actually I found something odd too.” Jongdae trailed off looking down as if he was recalling past memories. “When I was told to go after Luhan, I see something on a dead soldier wrist that causes me to stop for a while; above some kind of water symbol was a Gervais mark.”