Chapter 3 – New Trouble

GERVAIS

The journey there was nerve-racking. Being able to finally comprehend this is the first enemy that could fight back and won, forcefully open my eyes to another possibility we’re not indeed invincible. Kris might seem cocky and arrogant because he can control everything around him for all to see, yet his thin layer of emotion glassing his eyes very much announcing he’s anxious. Nervous that dreading day might come eventually. He distastes an idea where he will lose his power and authority in the future, however, no matter how hard he tried to prevent such an action, he cannot overrun the possibility. 

 

We’re currently waiting for Yixing's signal on the outer skirt of the forest. It took us five hours to get here. While the other soldiers were busy rechecking their gear in the car, we were busy doing nothing. Some of us even had the idea that it would be okay to take a nap on the way. I guess I’m the only one who’d been overreacting over the past few hours.

 

Rolling my eyes, I shoved my hands into my pants whilst waiting. Yixing believes we mustn’t hasty to slay our foes. Therefore resulting in him, Zittao and Jongdae to investigate a little bit and leaving me with Minseok to watch our reinforcement. I scoff out loud at his order. They’re missing the bigger picture here. Our location is high up on a mountain. If we’re wasting more time than necessary we might finish in night time. For that is equivalent to more trouble for us. Fogs will start to appear, neither of us can control weather nor wind, our vision would be disturbed.

 

“What is it with you and waiting? Can’t you be still for a minute?” Minseok's voice sounding irritated as he scrunches his eyebrows looking at me. He was supervising me the whole time after Yixing commands us to stay.

 

I crossed my arms, ignoring his existence and keep patiently wait. Our back up probably agrees with me on this matter, from their movements it is clear they’re itching to finally doing our purpose coming here. After all no matter how nervous they are basically the same as us, fighters. And fighters couldn’t help but feel thrilled.

 

After waiting for another two minutes my worry is starting to appear. Slow-motion of white mist making its ways towards us, I'm sure a few moments later it will fully surround us. I cuss under my breath for my team snail speed. If we don’t move now the mist will get thick and making it impossible to continue our mission, now I’m sure neither of us wants to confront Kris about failing a mission. It would not end any way near good. I look at the sky and sure enough, the previous bright light illuminating us was gone, replaced by a veil of darkness instead. Changing my previous posture; leaning on a tree, I push myself away and stood straight, sharpening my sight looking for anyone from my team.

 

“We can’t stay here,” I said aloud for everyone to hear.

 

“What do you mean?” Everybody was closing in on us, absorbing my and Minseok's conversation.

 

“We need to get going now, that is if you want to finish the job.” Peering over our environment, I see a small amount of mist is growing rapidly and with the moon was blocked above us it is fair to say we’re in trouble. And I will not fight with my hampered vision, it is too risky. We might misjudge our enemy and ended up hurting my teammates instead.

 

“We can’t see clearly, and in a while, we won’t see anything at all,” I said narrowing my eyes at him. By the way, he bit his inside cheek, I know he’d think the same way. He’s weary for ignoring Yixing command yet he knows abandoning a mission is not an option whatever the situation is. He is stuck I realize, not many of us can disregard an order. In fact aside from Zittao and myself, there isn’t a soul that can deny it.

 

Without waiting for his cooperation, I asked a soldier to track down Yixing. Each of us has a tracking device placed deep in our skin; Kris said it’s for our protection. But we all know that’s just a random excuse for his actual intention is to make sure no one plays a game on him. Soon enough when we successfully detect Yixing and the others we make our way through the deep dark forest, avoiding roots and leaves on the ground. We don’t need our presence to be known. Even if they’re just humans, we can’t make any mistakes on this one.

 

Suddenly we can picture a silhouette crouching down behind a tree not far from us, studying a view upfront, too engross on their spying until they can’t pinpoint my position.

 

“Yixing! What the hell took you so long?” Minseok whispers yell at the figure.

 

Not bothering to reply he lifted his finger silencing us, and then he points at something which I guess was a threat. I motion for the rest of the crew to follow me cutting our distance with him. The first thing we saw and heard was the weeping of humans and a soft radiance of bright orange, killing the dark sky just a few miles away hidden by a  cluster of well-trimmed trees. Everything was sickeningly beautiful.

 

We focused our sense to catch the situation on land we were supposed to claim. The view of a village being brought down forcefully paralyzing us completely. There couldn’t be any organization other than us preying the mortal existence in the middle of the bloody jungle on this ing hours. We’re the only creature with explicit reason to torture those weaklings. But now somebody else’s doing our job?  Adding the preview of humans kneeling in front of the burning house heads down proving the unmistakable assumption I had, clearly, they’re here to terminate the citizen.

 

First gunshots towards the prisoners making us snap to reality, therefore, pushing our minds to try and penetrate the mystery box that seems to border their area. We need to accomplish our mission one way or another, the option of walking away is beyond impossible and at the same time ridiculous. However, this could jeopardize our entire strategy. We are in the middle of someone else’s battle that happens to acquire the same target as us.

 

The only solution is we must delay the attack and spent another day on this absurd foggy land or we have to kill the intruder as well, now that’s the plan I would love to follow.  I’d rather murder myself than waste another time in this child’s play revenge attack. I spin my head so I can face Yixing beside me the same time he looks at me concerned about what we have to do. Nodding my head at him, I gave him the advice to keep carry on. Not minding another attacker, and just do what we must.

 

“Now what?” Minseok asked eyes glued to the burning houses.

 

“If…-“Yixing trailed off, hesitance was crystal clear in his voice. “If we happen to stick to the plan. Can we do it?”

 

“Obviou-“ my word was cut off by the movements to our right.

 

Bushes brush to one another creating a searing chill through the atmosphere. Footsteps not far from us, signaling there’s a spy somewhere watching our move make me able to feel the thrill of that person’s fear. I raise two fingers at our men behind me and point out the direction, and immediately two of them ran towards it.

 

“There’re about sixty of them,” Zittao said appearing out of nowhere, startling us a bit. “But earlier half of them left hurriedly. Our position must have been found out.”

 

Nodding at his information, I side glance at Lay, this time convinced that he won’t miss this opportunity.

 

“Put a silencer on your guns. We can’t take any risk, there’s not a single clue on our intruder and their vigor.” Echo of ‘yes’ then our soldier rummage through their bags to find silencer and follow Yixing as he put one on his Beretta, loading a bunch of bullets into the magazine until it was full. “Some of you stay here and guard on your rifle. Shot anyone on our range.”

 

With Lay in the lead, we swept the forest clear of any enemies and surround the area on every edge. True to Zittao’s word there aren’t many left, and from this distance we can point the guys stealing our job. Their clothes were the same as our babysitters, with various weapons stick to their belt. But it’s not what catches my eyes, not how prominent is their new sleek guns and series of combat shotgun and an M92 vertec handgun which I’m sure was illegal in this country for regular people, not only it cost a fortune to actually bought them for these many guys but it also guns that very hard to come by.

 

In the midst of chaos, there’s something that requires my immediate attention. There, standing in a far corner of a blood bath was two hooded figures, looking at each other like they’re on a conversation. Not caring fact that their boots touching the soil covered blood. I strain my ears hoping to catch a glimpse of what they’re saying but who am I kidding, I’m at least a good one hundred feet from them, there’s no chance I’d know. In the corner of my view, one of their back-ups told something to them, causing a sudden light to emit from a hooded guy on the right through the thick mist, clearing our sight for a few seconds.

 

Flabbergasted by his action had me stumble back and fall. I can’t believe what I saw. My eyes widen knowing something that I don’t know exists. There’s another one like us. There’s actually someone who possesses power like us. My brain was too absorbed on swallowing the new information to the point I can’t seem to notice my surroundings until Minseok yanks me up to my feet and start yelling at me. I’m convinced he’s shouting at me yet I can’t hear anything. I realize the light earlier was exposing our position causing frenzy from our side, this much I picture.

 

But I can’t tear my gaze from the hooded figure in front and somehow I make my way trotting to their place, abandoning my post. Shoving my way out of our intruder I grab my gun and was shooting off rounds on everyone in my way and when one of the hooded figures saw me, he to grab the other one to run the opposite way. Focusing my eyes on the one with light power, I will my own ability to block him from escaping and trap him still while I keep making my way near him.

 

I plastered a grin when I’m sure he can’t go anywhere, never in any battle, I’m running to my prey like I’m doing right now. I was so close to having him when suddenly the other guy appears right beside the one I have in my grasp. I stop dead in my track, there’s no way he was running here for I know I’ll notice, but this guy emerges out of nowhere. Then from what I see is that he put his hand on the light guy and a second later they vanish into thin air, leaving me gaping not knowing what to do. Squinting my eyes, I make sure I can’t feel his existence anymore. I blink my eyes repeatedly and just keep dragging myself to their earlier position.

 

I check everywhere around me yet I can’t see them. I run my fingers in my hair out of frustration messing it in process, I notice I was near the edge of this village and in just a few meters the first tree to the forest greeted me. They must’ve gotten away. ! I glare at a house beside me whilst kicking the ground, thinking hard of a reason; any reason at all for how the hell they can be gone. Could it be there’s something wrong with my power? No one can break free from my ability, and not even one time in any practice I’m losing someone in my clutch. What the is happening?!

 

“Hey, you!” A gruff voice said behind me. “Show me a way out of here!”

 

Turning my body I came to face one of our enemy’s soldiers. I train my eyes up and down on him, learning everything I can for all I know there could be a clue on him which can inflict our team. But aside from the obvious fact that they’re well taken care of, I don’t see anything at all.  He must think I live in this village.

 

“Come on! Move!” Shouting at me, his eyes peered into every direction making sure no one can bring him any harm whilst he keeps his gun pointed to me. Oh how silly of him, running from danger only to face the angel of death. “Move your piece of ! Don’t you want to live?!” He shouts yet again nodding his weapon to my head. I scoff out loud and roll my eyes; the nerve on this kid is remarkable.

 

“Live? No. I’d be glad for you to take my life away. But sadly nothing can kill me.” I smirk at him not minding a footstep heading our way.

 

“Hey, .” Jongdae’s voice was calm and collected near me, wanting to face this guy in front of me. And as if right on cue the second his voice carried through the night, this guy posture turns rigid and stiff for I can literally smell fear rolling in wave out of him. I nodded to my teammate’s position, silently ordering him to see his death. And the moment he did turn around, Jongdae shot a bullet right to his left eye socket. Spurting up blood everywhere, it got to my face.

 

When the corpse falls down, I take my hand through my eyes and right cheek also my mouth to rid from the blood. “Damn.”