Extra: Happy Birthday, Eunbi-unnie!

Kwon Eunbi Answers Letters

Eunbi realizes that the ecstatic feelings of having a birthday have diminished over time. She thinks that it's because she's getting closer to thirty and soon, it's going to be fifty.

 

It's still more than twenty years, but Eunbi is feeling dramatic, so please let her be.

 

Eunbi wakes up groggily, feeling cold at the lack of warmth from the body that usually accompanies her to sleep. She pats on the empty space beside her, frowning as she cracks open her eyes, with no Kang Hyewon in sight. The former 'captain bunny' pouts, climbing off from her bed, softly calling her lover. She paces outside, following the subtle scent of eggs, Hyewon's name still on her lips.

 

Hyewon turns at her the moment Eunbi peers over from the doorway, beaming the older woman with a huge smile. "Happy birthday, love," she says, opening her arms and welcomes the still sleepy woman to her warm embrace. Eunbi melts to her, muttering a shy "thank you", inhaling the mouth-watering scent of eggs clinging to Hyewon's worn blue t-shirt. "Take a seat. I just cooked eggs, but I hope you'll like it."

 

"Your eggs are always good, Hyewon-ah," Eunbi assures her, smiling as she takes a seat. She leans against the table, her hands under her chin. "Are those gifts for me, by the way?"

 

Hyewon nods, knowing she is referring to the mountain of gifts piling up on their coffee table. "Yeah, mostly are from your closest friends. From fans and other... uh, colleagues and acquaintances are still held on the company." She turns. "Oh, and the girls sent letters."

 

Eunbi takes a sharp intake of breath. It's quite loud, causing Hyewon to snort and glance back at her, smiling. "In this modern age, hand-written letters?"

 

"Why not?" Hyewon chuckles, fully turning around now, brandishing a plate of eggs on her left hand and other stuff on the right. "I prefer hand-written letters over a spam of messages in my inbox any day, to be honest." She smiles. "At least, from those hand-written letters, you know that they aren't copy-pasting it."

 

"Well. You're right."

 

Hyewon puffs her chest out proudly. "I know I am. Let's eat, you have stuff to do and letters to reply."

 


 

Dear Sakura,

Thank you for the kind wishes. You're still banned.

 


 

Dear Yena,

Yena-ya, thank you! No, your writings are fine, I can decipher them well! But actually, your guess was spot on. Yes, I asked Hyewon for help, but I can still read your words for the most part! 

I really enjoy the newest book of that author you liked, though I'm kind of horrified why do you like MCDs so much??? Are you okay??? I thought you're someone who liked those... ty books. Like the one you sent me. Anyway. Thank you for the letters and the gifts, I really appreciate it.

 


 

Dear Chaeyeon,

I'm glad you're not drunk right now. Thank you for the wishes, Chaeyeonnie, I really appreciate it. It's fine that you can't send any gift--I know you think that the ads are nothing because we usually had it every birthday, but for me, it's still a great gift. I did take a picture of it yesterday when I passed by. I'll go there later and send you the pics.

Don't forget about our drinking agenda!

 


 

Dear Chaewon,

Excuse me? This is my birthday. But yes. Just hope for the best and I'll snatch you here and we can live happily ever after.

Thank you for the gifts, Chaewon-ah! Though, I'm not sure what I'd do with these...

 


 

Chaewon,

The hell do you mean by that.

 


 

Chaewon,

That's it. I'm taking you to therapy tomorrow and that's final. I'm your sister before Hybe is your agency so shut up.

 


 

Dear Minjoo,

Upon unboxing your gift, I expected the worst. The content of your letter was heavily foreboding, do not blame me for that! Even Hyewon was scared when she opened it!

But thank you, both for the kind wishes and the gift. I'm sure Hyewon will be the one who'll like it more, though.

 


 

Dear Nako,

Don't worry, the contents aren't awkward at all! I've seen and read worse. Way, way worse than anything. You don't want to know.

Thank you for the wishes and gifts! I love you too, Nako-chan^^

PS: this is not a green light for you to send me more letters. I repeat, this is not a green light. Kkt is more convenient!

 


 

Dear Hitomi,

I think I cried reading your letter, Hii-chan. Thank you so much for the wishes. You're just as precious to me and just as you think I am to you. I love the snacks and the cute socks, don't worry! I'll be looking forward to your arrival next week so we'll have a proper celebration, but please don't bother yourself with that large doll you showed me yesterday. Please.

PS: I've sent you something. Chaewon mistakenly attached this along the letter and her gift to me. Please burnt it upon arrival or save it on your Chaewon-shrine or whatever.

 


 

Dear Yuri,

Please ignore the tear stains on this letter. I've written three drafts but they were all ruined because you made me cry every time I listened to it and read your letter. Jo Yuri, you are someone to be proud of. Really. Thank you for everything. I don't think I deserve this, but I'll accept this because it's you. Please don't undermine your own work like that, I've listened to it and I really appreciate it! I think Hyewon was a little jealous, though.

Thank you. But don't think I'll give you that album just because of this. Nako won fair and square.

 


 

Dear Yujin,

Why are you writing in pure English, you rascal? And still, managed to make me cry like a baby? The power you hold, honestly. 

Thank you! I also hope that I can snatch you here along with Wonyoung and Chaewon and Sakura, but we don't talk about her so please pray hard for me. I'll inform you about it once I'm sure, don't worry.

The thing you sent me looks familiar. Did you gift this to Hyewon earlier this year?

 


 

Yujin,

We really can buy our own couple stuff.

Still, I appreciate the thought. Thank you^^

 


 

Dear Wonyoung,

It's okay, Wonyoungie. You can always call me mom whenever you like, even in public places! Yes, it's not weird. No, I'm not disowning you because of our disbandment. You are all (except Hyewon and Sakura, for different reasons) my kids forever. Yes, I know you guys planned this. No, I didn't think you'd actually do that. No, I love you. I would never hate you! Yes, the clothes are a bit of a tight fit but... it seems that Hyewon will like seeing me in them, so it's not a problem. Thank you for this~

No. Don't follow their steps. Wonyoung, if you do that I'll retract my previous statement about you guys are my kids forever.

 


 

"I didn't see your letter."

 

Hyewon blinks at her. "Were you actually expecting one? You see me every day, 24/7." She points at the unwrapped gift sitting on their bed. "Isn't that thing and the birthday wishes enough?"

 

"No." Eunbi shakes her head, still pouting. "I want to read your letter."

 

The younger woman raises an eyebrow. "I thought you don't like letters? That's why I didn't write any."

 

"I want it when it came from you."

 

"Okay, okay," Hyewon relents with a laugh, smiling as she gets up, takes a paper and a pen with her, and heads out. She turns before she fully exits the room, pointing her hand at Eunbi who is now smiling from ear to ear. "Don't peek, alright?"

 

Eunbi laughs, nods, and waits patiently by the bed.

 

Once Hyewon has fully left the room, Eunbi's gaze quickly strays away to the scandalous gift her kids sent her.

 

Hmm. Hyewon will definitely like this.