Strange Day

From: JWI
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Around three in the afternoon, Yongsun arrived at her apartment building with groceries she bought. She’s planning on making Wheein a dinner with the help of Wheein’s recipe book as a peace offering from what happened yesterday. Somehow, she’d get a little distraught from time to time whenever she recalls what she did. Wheein was just poking her sides for fun and suddenly she went amok on that poor neighbor. But what was strange was how Wheein's okay with it.

 

Yongsun was waiting for the elevator door to open in the lobby and when it finally did, she walked her way inside. Before she could get past the door, someone came rushing inside causing her to halt. Standing in the way of the elevator door, Yongsun looked at where that person came from and saw that there were two mechanized guards running towards them. The person whom Yongsun later realized was a woman, frantically pressed the elevator buttons and begged her to step inside. Yongsun doesn’t know if she should step back or what. Seconds after, one of the mechanized guards pushed Yongsun back in the hall before they went in. One guard held the woman still and the other placed black buds on the woman’s ears. The edges of the round buds lit up, showing a blue circle which later turned red. Yongsun noticed that the woman stopped resisting and her face went blank quickly. The woman was brought outside the building by one of the guards while the other one stayed with Yongsun, excusing them before it left.

 

Everything that happened left Yongsun in shock. She has seen this in the news but it still felt different when she witnessed it in person. Instead of heading straight to her apartment, she was now standing in front of Wheein’s unit.

 

“What’s up?” Wheein said after the door swung open.

 

As if just woken from sleep, Yongsun blinked a couple of times with arched brows and forced a smile at Wheein.

 

“You know, it’s not that hard to say ‘Hi, Wheein! I missed you so much that’s why I’m here. I don’t think I can live without you by my-,”

 

“You’re so full of yourself,” Yongsun said with a blank expression, disgusted at Wheein’s words.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Wheein waved at Yongsun to follow her inside. “What brings you here?” She asked as she continued to walk inside. “I don’t remember inviting you for dinner.”

 

“I wanted to make something for you. I was planning to cook something for dinner,” Yongsun said.

 

“Wow, are you really that into me now? You’re going to cook something for me? You want me to teach you?” Wheein turned around to face Yongsun.

 

“Wheein-ah, stop killing the mood!” Yongsun begged then she turned quiet for a while. “Also, I’m sorry about what happened yesterday. I don’t mean it,” Yongsun said.

 

“Don’t beat yourself up about it. There are just some things that we can’t control... but we can always try to,” Wheein said, patting Yongsun’s arm. “Now, let me see what you bought.”

 

While waiting for their rice to be cooked, both were standing at the balcony under the airships that were floating in the orange sky. They quietly watched ads on the holographic billboards while the neon lights from small establishments started to light the streets, up to the darkest alley.

 

“Have you ever lost someone close to you?” Wheein asked, breaking the silence that swarmed them.

 

“No,” there was a pause before she continued. “How about you?”

 

“Yeah,” Wheein nodded before she looked at Yongsun.

 

“What was it like?” Yongsun asked. She’s not really into this kind of conversation but seeing the look in Wheein’s eyes, she knew that Wheein wanted to talk about it.

 

“It’s like, you’re just watching a very captivating show in your apartment on a Friday night and suddenly the power went off,” Wheein, then, turned her gaze back at the dimming sky. “That’s what it’s like for me but coping with it was worse. You see, the power went off so everything’s dark and you can’t see , right? But you know your way around because it’s your apartment. You know where the kitchen is or the bedroom is, but you are just sitting there not knowing what to do or where to go and you’re starting to get scared. You’re lost in your own home and it’s starting to feel cold.”

 

“Wheein-ah,” Yongsun called softly.

 

“I hope I made sense,” Wheein said as she closed her eyes and chuckled softly.

 

Yongsun just looked at her, watched her. She knows what she feels towards her neighbor and no matter how much she denies it to herself, she’s aware that it’ll never go away. Right now, all she wanted to do was wrap Wheein in her arms and tell her that everything’s going to be okay. But all she can do is give her neighbor a small pat on the back.

 

“I’m sorry, I wish I could do something about it. I really hate seeing you like this,” Yongsun said.

 

“It’s okay. Listening is okay,” Wheein said before she sighed heavily and turned back to Yongsun. “I'm leaving tomorrow. I’m not even sure when I’ll be back. But I will,”

 

“Why?” Yongsun asked, a little distraught.

 

“There’s something I need to do,”

 

“Why wouldn’t you know when you’ll be back?”

 

“It’s pretty complicated but I promise I will be back. And when I do, I’ll make you a proper dinner,” Wheein smiled at Yong, trying to convince her.

 

While Yongsun was just drying her hands after she washed the dishes, Wheein was busy packing her bag in her room. Yongsun decided to help her but as she walked towards Wheein’s bedroom, the doorbell rang. She stopped for a second and continued to walk to Wheein’s but when she opened the door and found Wheein wearing her headphones, Yongsun decided not to disturb her. She walked towards the intercom and checked who it might be. Yongsun looked closer, studying the violet-haired woman. Yongsun figured that it might be Wheein’s friend and she got a little anxious. Talking to a stranger is a little too exhausting for her but this is Wheein’s friend. She felt the need to make a good impression which is a very unusual thing for her to do.

 

Walking slowly to the door, the doorbell buzzed again, causing her to flinch but Yongsun continued to walk. When she opened the door, she mastered a genuine smile and greeted her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter