Photograph

From: JWI
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Yongsun woke from her restless sleep, she cursed under her breath when the purplish-blue sky made her realize that it was still too early to wake up. For as long as she can remember, this is the first time in a long time that she had a hard time sleeping. Well, all she could blame for this is her new neighbor whom she grew fond of. 

 

It’s been going on for almost two weeks that Wheein would invite Yongsun to her unit to have lunch or dinner. Sometimes, they’d just hang out in Wheein’s lounge. Actually, Wheein’s the one who’s always in the lounge. Yongsun, usually, is at the balcony having her daily dose of vitamins: smoke. They would listen to Wheein’s favorite albums and all of them are vinyl records which caused Yongsun to gasp in disbelief. She couldn’t believe that she’d see something so old that still functions well. There are times that Wheein would play something with her bass guitar which Yongsun isn’t fond of but her stubborn neighbor would blast the amplifier and pluck random strings. There are times where Wheein would talk about random things and share a good amount of laughter with her but there are instances where she’d talk about the environment and politics which can get Wheein pretty riled up.

 

Today, she’ll spend her breakfast with Wheein. The latter invited her for breakfast last night after they had their dinner together. This is the second time she’ll be having her breakfast with Wheein. The first one was when she  had to sleepover in Wheein’s place due to her jammed lock.

 

Last night on her bed, she had trouble sleeping. It was strange because she couldn’t remember when was the last time she had difficulty sleeping. Yongsun’s a little anxious about waking up late and missing their breakfast together. She slept so late yet she woke up too early. 

 

Yongsun stretched her body as she yawned before she left her bedroom. She went to the kitchen to heat up water for her early morning tea and proceeded to the bathroom to take a shower as she waited. After her quick and warm bath, she heads straight back to her bedroom to clothe herself. As she walked across the room, she caught a glimpse of her body when she walked past a metal-framed standing mirror. She stopped and examined her body. She smiled at what her body became. She isn’t as pale and as skinny as before. All thanks to the most ‘obnoxious’ neighbor who wouldn’t stop feeding her delicious home-made foods. She also noticed how vibrant she became. Still in denial of what she’s actually starting to feel for her neighbor, Yongsun felt hot and sweaty when she thought of the possible reason why she looks so vibrant and… happy?

 

Yongsun trailed back her memories, trying to remember when was the last time she felt happy, the last time she laughed her off, and the last time she felt like she finally belonged somewhere. She couldn’t see her grumpy self whenever she’s with Wheein. Yongsun found it funny that the person she used to hide from and ignore is the same person she looks forward to seeing every day. Though it was quite odd that she’s falling into that pit quite quickly. 

 

After she got dressed, she took a cup of tea with her and walked towards the balcony to smoke. She halted in her steps when she saw a figure on Wheein’s balcony. The bright blue hair is enough to figure out who it was.

 

Wheein was standing there with headphones. Her arms leaning on the concrete with her eyes closed. Yongsun was in a trance as she traced Wheein’s profile with her eyes.

 

So that’s what she looks like when she’s not talking, Yongsun chuckled.

 

Her smile started to fade when she saw something glistening on Wheein’s cheek.

 

Is she crying? Why? 

 

Yongsun felt her heart sink at the sight. This is not the Wheein that she knows. The Wheein that she looks forward to is the one whose smile is brighter than the sun. Even then, the Wheein that she’s looking at right now, is someone she wanted to get to know too. Yongsun watched her until both ends of Wheein’s lips slid down and sobs got louder. She wanted to do something but she didn't know how. She wanted the crying to stop.

 

The movement in Wheein’s hands caught her eye. There was something in it because there’s a white object peeking between Wheein’s fingers and palm. Wheein opened her eyes and looked at the object that she’s holding. It was a photograph but Yongsun can’t make out of the image. It was too small and she’s too far. 

 

It must be a photo of her mom and dad. She must’ve missed them so badly, Yongsun thought. 

 

Before Wheein could see her, she quietly walked back inside her unit. She sat on the couch and opened the television. It was on the news channel and a video of masked protesters are being aired. She changed the channel and looked for something that she like but failed to so she looked around trying to figure out what to do while waiting for the clock to hit eight. On the coffee table, the sketchbook-slash-recipe book that Wheein gave her was there and Yongsun took it to look at the artworks instead of studying the recipes that Wheein plastered in each page. Most of the contents are wash-watercolor paintings of random scenery and some are rough sketches of a certain woman’s back. Yongsun then started to feel her head sting so she decided to lay her head back on the sofa and close her eyes for a minute.

 

Unfortunately, the one minute that she promised herself became an hour and a half. Yongsun woke up to a series of buzz coming from her telecom. She jerked up realizing what time it is and  ran as fast as she could to the telecom. It showed Wheein with a plasticware on her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter