Do you cook?

From: JWI
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun was peacefully working in her living room when she heard a familiar noise outside. She has been living in her apartment for almost ten years and she didn’t have to go out to know what’s going on outside. She has heard this familiar noise several times before.

 

Someone’s moving in, I see.

 

Yongsun knew she wouldn't be able to write anything on her computer with all these unwanted noises so she grabbed her pack of cigarettes and headed to the balcony. She looked at the sky after she lit herself one stick and thought how good the weather is today. She leaned on the railings as she watched a few cars passing by below her. From a distance, there are holographic ads and billboards on the tall buildings around her. She watched them as she remembered something she read from a website about how the world once was. 

 

“Hey! Good morning! I’m your new neighbor! The weather is great isn’t it?” 

 

Yongsun looked at her right side where the voice was coming from and saw a petite woman. She frowned as she studied every detail of her new neighbor. She started with the sandals that she’s wearing. It was a thick hiking sandal with metal accents to it. Yongsun then thought that this woman must be into hiking or any outdoor activity. If not, then her new neighbor just has a weird taste in fashion. It was partnered by a paint-stained denim jumper. Its hem was folded up to her ankle and one shoulder strap unhooked. Underneath was a white cropped ribbed tank top. Yongsun can tell that there was nothing underneath that tank top which is not that surprising for her. Her neighbor was holding a tray of potted succulent plants. Yongsun then wondered if they were real because if it is, then these must have come from the countryside. Real plants can only be found there. She noticed her blue hair. It was tied in a low bun and there were bits of her hair falling down. Yongsun then took a look at her face. She better not be another annoying neighbor.

 

Being her usual self, she just nodded with a straight face to her new neighbor and went back to do her business, hoping that their conversation has already ended.

 

“My name is Wheein, by the way! Actually, most of my friends call me Gabby but, uhm, it’s up to you. You can call me Wheein or Gabby or anything you like. Well, Wheein is my birth name and Gabriella, Gabby for short, is my baptismal name. Well, people call me a lot of names. There’s Whee, Wheeinie, Gabriel, Gabby, Gab, G, then there’s my best friend who calls me Jindo Dog. I hate it but what can I do, right? How about you, Miss? May I know your name?” 

 

God hates me so much. Yongsun can already feel her blood boil. She hates these kinds of people. Most especially, the kind that talks a lot.

 

Yongsun turned to face her new neighbor who was smiling at her. She sighed and said, “Yongsun,” then she put out her cigarette and went back inside her apartment.

 

She can hear her new neighbor shout, “Have a good day, Yongsun-ssi!” as she closed the balcony door.

 

She looked at her laptop and the papers scattered around it. Then she looked at her apartment door and listened to the small, muted noise outside. She knew she wouldn't be able to work and write anything. Yongsun grunted in frustration thinking how her day got ruined.

 

***

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter