OBVIOUS ⁂ ❉ ✾

DAYLIGHTS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

⁂ ❉ ✾
Obvious
Pairing: BaekhyunxOC



 

The weather was nice.

The late spring ambience wrapped the surroundings like an envelope. My steps were in a hurry as I walked to the spot where I would be meeting him. In fact, I was already late due to some stuff at work. I texted him that I was on my way but he had not replied yet. The thought of this being the last time I’d be seeing him made my heart ache. We have known each other for over five years now, since our university days. I won’t say we’re the best of friends but we had the same circle of friends. Coincidentally, our jobs were located on the same building too, allowing us to see each other from time to time. 

Slightly panting, I stopped on my feet to admire the view of the wide river ahead. There were several people in the area as it was a famous hang out around here. Some people were just passing by, the others stayed enjoying the cool spring breeze with their loved ones. My eyes automatically roamed around to look for him but couldn’t find him. 

Did he go? Did I make him wait for too long? Was it time for him to leave?

These questions flooded my mind as I slightly panicked at the thought that he already left without me saying goodbye. I shoved my hand inside my jeans’ pocket for my phone. Checking it, there wasn’t any message or missed calls from him.  

Did he really leave? My heart broke at the thought.

“How could you leave without seeing me?” I whined, mumbling in frustration.

I bit my lip, gripping the phone in my hand. I sighed, taking in the view of the peaceful water in the river for comfort. If he left just like that, then maybe my hidden feelings for him were never meant to be brought out to light. Not that I planned to tell him about it today, I just want to see him at least.

I was silent for a few seconds, sadness slowly eating me up.

“You really think I’d do that?”

I paused, throwing away any form of unrelated thoughts in my head. It was his voice, I was sure. Biting my lip, I knew in my heart that I was thankful to hear his voice at this moment. Too thankful, I couldn’t even move a muscle to turn around. The next thing I knew, I saw him through my peripheral vision walking towards me.

It was like slow motion, the way he occupied the spot in front of me. He was here, wearing a black, fitted shirt, jeans and sneakers. He also had a duffel bag with him, indicating that he was indeed ready to go. Checking his face, I noticed that he already had his hair cut and I instantly wondered how he looked in a buzz cut. I must have stared at him for too long, my thoughts written all over my face that the corners of his lips turned up.

He lifted a hand to press his cap, turned a little shy before taking off his cap. His new freshly cut feature was revealed before my eyes and my heart fluttered at how he looked.

I never imagined how he’d look in this hairstyle but he appeared absolutely handsome. In a way, he seemed younger but also more manly. I couldn’t put it to words exactly. I just liked this version of him. With the absence of the usual length of his rich, thick hair, his eyebrows looked more prominent than ever. It made me focus more on his eyes that were the beautiful shape of crescents now as he laughed at my reaction.

When he placed a hand on his head down to his face to cover it, I noticed how his ears slightly turned red. He was embarrassed, I could sense and I found it cute. Too cute, I couldn’t stop my lips from forming into an upward curve. And while I smiled, I had to fight the urge to hold his head with my hands.

“The buzz cut looks great on you. You look handsome.” I blurted out, not meaning to.

He met my eyes right away and that made me feel conscious. Scolding myself for thinking out loud and verbally announcing that I think he’s handsome, I momentarily looked away. When I didn’t hear anything from him, I turned to check his reaction. However, he was just gazing back at me. He did it for so long, I grew more conscious until I felt my own cheeks warming up.

“You scared me.” I blurted out again, my sloppy attempt to change the topic. “I really thought you went already.”

“Well, I could have just left.” He replied in a matter of fact tone. “I had been waiting for a while and I even thought you weren’t coming anymore.”

When he smiled subtly, my brain automatically organized words that my rational part wasn’t able to review anymore.

“Good thing you're still here because I don’t even know how to get to the training camp even if I try to go after you.”

I was being too obvious now. I had seemed to have lost control of it all. 

“Why?” His eyes twinkled as he looked into my eyes. “Are you telling me you’re going to miss me?” He went on, asking.

I cleared my throat as I tilted my head down. I was sure I was going to melt if he didn’t stop looking at me like the way he was doing now.

“Because you seem like you will.”

I heard him, his tone teasing.

“A lot of people are going to miss you Baekhyun.” I reasoned out, trying to sound as casual as I could, even letting out of a small laugh to pretend that I wasn’t that nervous. “Not just me.”

“Are you telling me you won’t miss me the most?” 

For some reason, he sounded like he meant what he just asked. The expression on his face told me that there wasn’t any tinge of playfulness.

“Do you want me to?” I unconsciously replied. 

“What If I say yes?” 

Seriously, I thought my heart was about to explode any time with the way the pounding was wilding behind my chest. I knew he was waiting for my response but all I could ever do was try to calm myself as I was getting so close to just give in and tell him that I would definitely miss him the most. Maybe, he must have sensed how his question built up the tension between us and spoke once more.  

“When…” He trailed off. “I asked you to meet me today, you didn’t ask me why.”

He was right and that was because I also wanted to see him before he left but I couldn't tell him plainly about it, right?

“Why did you ask to meet me?” 

“I know we already a send off party for this whole military service that I was already too late to comply with with the rest of our friends, but I’d like to see you again...especially you. Just you. Of course.”

His straightforwardness amazed me, I unconsciously crumpled the fabric of my loosed fitted pants.

“Why?”

“I guess I want you to be the last person I meet before I go.”

I gulped, realizing that he wasn’t holding back anymore. 

“If you don’t stop this Baekhyun, I’ll really think that you’re about to confess to me right now.” I replied, letting out of a small laugh as I tried to lighten the mood. 

“TWell, maybe that's because it's exactly what I'm about to do.”

I just had to blink a couple of times hearing his reply. There was something so endearing with the way he said it but I could sense his conviction as well. He wore his cap once more, fixed it and my eyes followed his every move. My brain, unable to form coherent thoughts after he said what he just said.

“For the past few nights,” he muttered as he slightly parted his mouth to wet his lips quickly. “I debated in my head whether to ask you to meet with me today or just go to training right away.” His mouth made way for a crooked smile. “Though the winning side had always been obvious to me since.”

“What do you mean Baek?”

I asked sounding like a complete moron but that was because I didn’t want to assume. Misinterpretation always felt like a crime when it comes to feelings. Not also when, I had been harbouring this little crush on him for a long time now.

“What I wasn’t sure of is…if I didn’t make it too obvious to you that…” He paused only to gaze at me, his eyes boring into my soul like it was the perfect thing to do right now. “I like you.”

I swallowed. He, what-?

“Because I do, I really like you Dana.” He added. “To a point that going without telling you is unforgiveable.” Smirking, he paused for a bit. “And I keep imagining other guys falling in love with you while I’m stuck somewhere trying my best to be a good citizen of this country.”

The way his face lit up as he shook his head while letting out of a soft laugh was so mesmerizing.

“Whenever…” I muttered, my emotions getting the best of me, never looking away. “I catch you staring…”

I watched him did just as I said.

“And you just smile at me like you don’t mind being caught at all. The way you’d slowly walk in the hallways like you’re secretly waiting for me come. Or the number of times, you stayed behind just because I said I didn’t wanna go home just yet even though the rest of our friends left already...”

There were so many memories in my head that left an impression to me that maybe he cared about me a little too much than being just friends. Funny how I had collected and placed them all in a vault in my brain because they meant to me as well. Every gesture he made watered my growing feelings and now that spring came, it had fully blossomed to a whole new level.

“Thank god, I was obvious.” He smiled his beautiful smile, sounding relieved. “I stare at you when you’re not looking because I want to, it was a natural thing for me to do when you're around. And I don’t look away because meeting your eyes like that makes my heart flutter in a way I didn’t know possible. Every morning, I make sure to come a few minutes earlier than you, wait in the hallway until I hear you walking just to make sure we’d be on the same elevator. I know it’s cringe-y and kinda lame but, aren’t we supposed to be like that when we’re in love?”

He's in love with me. He sounded so natural talking about it, I envy him. I on the other hand was on the verge of leaving my spot to just fall straight into his arms. Hearing these from him made me go crazy inside. He proceeded to dart his attentio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter