7 | Home date

By your side

Jung Jaehyun was not always seen as a confident guy. He can only be cocky when he was with his circle of friends, which you were clearly not excluded. Yet. This was the perfect time for Jungkook and Sia to prove their loyalty to their dear friend in need. To boost the best friend's confidence, Jungkook and Sia were actively brainstorming to find the most effective way in the most natural state possible to be integrated in Jaehyun's effort to get closer to you. This had been mainly his strategy as well—after intensely consulting with Minhyuk and Naeun and basically following their advice; start from being friends. More like, very close friends. Jaehyun knew he couldn't do it alone. That was why he kind of begged Jungkook to help him, which he and Sia gladly agreed to do so. And actually this couple had more ideas way than Jaehyun did.

Today was an example, which Jungkook successfully dragged you out to accompany him having brunch with a lame excuse saying Sia had some errands to run and would join later. Sia never came. Instead, there were Jaehyun and some dudes called Yugyeom and Mingyu joining them.

"Dude, you don't need me anymore. You have your dudes here," you snapped at Jungkook, not really care about your image anymore.

"My dudes are your dudes too, you know?" He innocently grinned, looking at you and your squinting eyes.

Jaehyun smiled at you and Jungkook bickering non-stop, practically ignoring the other 3 guys. He liked this side of you. It felt more natural, genuine, and strangely it exuded a warm personality. There was definitely summer inside covered by a windy, cold winter.

"Jaehyun, I'm craving fried chicken in your neighborhood. Let's go to your house and have it delivered there. Haechan is not home yet, right?" Mingyu suggested.

You became more alert when the guys started planning something else. This should be your chance to escape and go back to your house, having your sleeping beauty moment.

"Ah, right. I left my jacket too," Jungkook added. "Yeoreum, come with us."

Your eyebrows curled as you couldn't comprehend your bestfriend's mind. "I think it should be 'Yeoreum, do you want to come with us?'"

"You will say no." He knew you better, indeed. "But I'll still take you with me though."

You blinked in confusion.

"Please, do come with us," the house owner spoke up, making you turn to face him. The dimples were on full display. His eyes were actually quivering when you made eye contact. So he kind of looked everywhere. Att you, at his friends. "We're just gonna chill a bit. I promise we'll be quiet. The chicken tastes great, you know? You won't regret it."

Did he just lure me with a freaking fried chicken?

"Yeoreum, come on. We don't take no as an answer." Jungkook stood up as his hand gripped your upper arm, dragging you again for the second time on that day.

Now there you were, sitting on the passenger seat in Jungkook's car with the other 3 giant guys, feeling lost and confused. The trip to Jaehyun's house was mostly filled with this Mingyu guy talking non-stop, while the others responded to him with relatively short answers. At least he was not loud. But still, how can one talks so much? Sometimes you were reminded of Johnny, who you finally could tolerate after weeks of him trying to get close to you. You smiled a little reminiscing those old days.

"What's funny?" asked Jungkook suddenly. He must have caught you smiling like an idiot. "Don't tell me you find Mingyu hilarious."

"What? No. Nothing." You cleared your throat.

Jungkook had to drag you again to enter Jaehyun's house. He sat you on the sofa, turned the TV on for you, and even provided you a pillow to hold. Meanwhile, the guys were all over the fridge checking out what was available. When you thought they will join you in the living room, the plot twist that Jungkook never planned just happened. This was when Yugyeom decided to pass because he got an important call, and Mingyu who was the one suggesting to go to Jaehyun's house had to leave early just when they arrived at the house, leaving the three of you. Jaehyun and Jungkook silently exchanged looks.

'You got this!' Jungkook mouthed to his dude when you were not looking.

You were sitting awkwardly alone on the sofa like a guest. You didn't even say a proper good bye to Yugyeom and Mingyu. It was the second time you visited his house. The first time was when Jungkook and Sia, as usual, kidnapped you for a late night movie with Jaehyun too and the other dudes, and ended up in Jaehyun's house, playing games all night long.

"Yeoreum, I'm sorry I have to go. Sia just called."

You abruptly got up. "I'll go with you. You can drop me off at the bus shelter."

"Why don't you stay longer and accompany Jaehyun? He will take you home."

"What? No, I..."

"That would be nice." Jaehyun quickly responded as he locked his eyes on you. "To have a company. I mean until my roommate comes back home," he continued as his sheepish smile appeared.

Jungkook firmly nodded at his same age friend. He pat you on the shoulder before really leaving. You couldn't believe your friend who left you in a man's house all by yourself.

"Just think of this house like the cafe you usually go to on weekends. Unfortunately I don't have tea or cake in this house, except coffee." Jaehyun began to break the silence. At this rate, he was so going to talk about whatever comes to mind. "Chilling at home is still the best, right? I mean, for a homebody like you. Well, it's not your house though. But still, a house instead of cafe, or restaurant, or even shopping center."

"You know, if you never mentioned that you're friends with Jungkook in our first meeting, I wouldn't trust you this much."

He chuckled. You've got a point though.

"I thought you can't stand staying at home and would prefer going out, shopping and everything."

Jaehyun chuckled again as he invited you to sit on the high chairs in the pantry instead of the sofa in the living room. "Yes, you're right actually. But since you're here, I'm good, I guess." He wished his reddening ears were not too obvious. "Let's see what we've got here beside coffee and cola," he sang as he opened the fridge and started scanning the whole compartment. "Lucky you, I've got milk and ice cream."

You were frustrated looking at Jaehyun being lost in the kitchen, trying to find anything else that goes well with milk and ice cream. He was running out of snack yet didn't want to bother going out to the convenience store. Eventually you just had to push him away. After asking for permission, then it was your turn to scan the fridge. Luckily, you found some strawberries and decided to make the hot trend of strawberry milk.

"I saw that in Youtube," he commented with his eyes fixed on the pouring milk onto the glass filled with your homemade strawberry jam.

Before you could respond, a loud, high-pitched voice was heard from the front door, making Jaehyun flinched from his seat. "Jaehyun hyung, I'm home," the younger guy sang, calling 'hyung' non-stop until he found Jaehyun and you in the kitchen. His doe eyes instantly filled with sparks and curiosity, along with his mischievous smile.

"Oh, Haechan, welcome home," Jaehyun greeted him.

"Who is this pretty Noona?" he asked with his cheerful tone, stomping approaching you.

Blushing, you laughed at the way he said pretty noona.

"Haechan, Yeoreum." Jaehyun's hands gestured pointing at you and the pudu-like boy back and forth. "Yeoreum, this cutie is my roommate, Haechan."

"Hi, nice to meet you." You were already being affectionate knowing that he was younger and ready to be babied.

"Wow, our names match very well, Noona. Full sun and summer. How's that?"

You chuckled at how vocal he was. Your eyes can't stop following whatever he did, particularly when he stood in front of the opened fridge, like he was pausing himself to find something he could eat right away. You just had to offer the freshly made strawberry milk, which he joyfully accepted.

"Hyung, can I have a friend come over?"

"Sure." He turned at you. "That's okay with you?"

You shrugged. "Yeah, sure."

"Is he the one from the dance academy?"

"Yes. Oh he's already here."

Soon, Haechan's voice was met by a contrast of a deeper yet firm and fruity voice. You could hear Haechan's friend nagging him over a group chat matter. Both you and Jaehyun smiled listening to their conversation simply because you found them adorable. Their voices got closer to the pantry, so you started preparing another glass of strawberry milk you made for Haechan's friend. Beside you, Jaehyun was being helpful as he cleaned up everything yet still kept you company and talked to you.

"If you're uncomfortable, I can take you home now." He looked concerned. It was supposed to be a chill, quiet, and perhaps a bit romantic home date just the two of you. Earlier that day, he should have ensured that Haechan didn't go home this early.

"It's okay. I think he's nice. His friend should be nice too." You smiled, reassuring him.

"Meet my roommate." You heard Haechan coming. But the one who he was with was definitely a surprise.

"Summer noona, why... what are you doing here?" His face was as shocked as you were.

"Oh, you two know each other?" Haechan asked.

"Sort of.." Mark answered in hesitation, his eyes were still on you.

"Interesting. What kind of mutual relationship do we have here?" Haechan sang innocently. Meanwhile Mark kept glancing at you and Jaehyun, and the little interaction you kept having with him. Jaehyun had been more quiet as it just came to his mind that Mark was one of Johnny's close friends. Of course you would know Mark.

"Jaehyun hyung, remember me? I'm a friend of Johnny, your partner for that night radio program 2 years ago," Mark initiated speaking.

The dimply man showed off his dimples again. He had to control his perfect smile to disguise his sudden insecurity. "Of course."

"How do you know guys know each other?" Mark asked, cautiously looking at you. He tried to read your expression but he failed. He can't tell anything from your pokerface you were wearing, along with that practiced smiley expression.

"I'm a friend of her bestfriend," Jaehyun answered for you. He noticed you being silent suddenly as Johnny's name was mentioned.

"So now you guys are... friends?" Haechan spoke very brightly. "Or, is it more than friends?" he teased Jaehyun.

"It can't be decided yet," Jaehyun managed to throw a joke to melt the intense microexpression of yours. He also glimpsed at Mark who was staring at you, waiting for your response. "Despite the things we share in common, we still disagree about many things. For example, she's against gopchang which I like the most. How can I be friends with someone who doesn't understand the delicacy of this country?"

"It is disgusting to eat blood," you defended yourself. Jaehyun was finally relieved to have the usual you back.

While you and Jaehyun argued over little teeny tiny things, it was an unfamiliar sight to see for Mark. It was his first time to see you very lively and being vocal to speak your mind even if it was only simple stuff like milk-based drink was better than coffee. Beside him, Haechan kept throwing questions that kept rising a heated yet fun discussion between you and Jaehyun. This time about 16 personalities which you got ISTP and Jaehyun got ESTP. Mark had been silently observing how you and Jaehyun agreed and disagreed about one stuff and another. This Jaehyun guy seemed... compatible for you, he thought. It was interesting for him to see this side of you. To see a new side that probably would never emerge to the surface if you were still with Johnny. Basically you would let Johnny decide everything, making him dominant yet in the sweetest way possible in your relationship. When you were the girlfriend of Johnny Seo, Mark saw you as a calm and graceful, quite reserved, but you still knew how to have fun.

"It's great to see you today, Noona," Mark said before departing. He glimpsed at Jaehyun who was busy washing the dish in the kitchen. "Anyway, I know it's none of my business. But... does Johnny know?"

"About?"

"You and Jaehyun hyung."

You let out a chuckle. "What's with me and Jaehyun?"

"You guys definitely have something."

"Really? Well, I believe this is something that I'm not obliged to tell him. Or maybe Mark could tell him for me?"

He quickly shook his head. "I'll let you guys figure things out."