6 | I like him

By your side

Johnny had tried to contact you, asking if he could come over. Five times he asked you, five times he got rejected. There would be always excuses; sleepover with the girls, parents asking you to come home, working overtime with Doyoung, and stuff. That was why he decided to surprise you again by showing up at your door, not empty handed this time. He brought dried flowers; he noticed your room decoration on the last time he visited.

With racing heart, he pressed your door bell.

When the door was swung open, he had prepared his best smile, which unfortunately quickly disappeared because of the person greeting him.

"Oh, hello," he awkwardly said.

"Jung Jaehyun? You... why are you here?"

"Uh.."

"No, wait. This is Yeoreum's house, isn't it?" Johnny curled his eyebrows. His heart was pounding even harder.

"Yes.." Both of these guys were fidgeting. Jaehyun was going to leave it up to you. "I'll get Yeoreum." Jaehyun disappeared to call you, leaving Johnny stoned with the greatest confusion he never imagined. He was aware you and Jaehyun were somewhat acquaintances—in his own opinion after seeing you both in a cafe. But to have an acquaintance visiting your home? That was odd. At least to Johnny who knew that you were not that social butterfly.

In seconds, you showed up, at first with a friendly smile which was directed to Jaehyun and in a flash the smile faded away once your eyes found Johnny.

"Johnny? I don't think I received any prior notice that you're gonna come," you said, without any particular meaning. It was just you were really surprised—for the second time because you were certain you had told him to tell you first before visiting.

"I... uh..." He couldn't continue his words as his eyes were quivering. His sight landed back and forth on you and on Jaehyun who was standing behind you. "I was just passing by," he muttered with shaky voice. "There is a new florist around here, so I thought..." he stuttered as he handed over the flower to you.

"Uhm, thanks?" you replied with confusion as well.

"I.. Sorry I didn't call..." Johnny kept talking nervously with his hands moving here and there. "Jaehyun.. I didn't know you're close with Jaehyun." His voice cracked everytime he mentioned the pretty guy's name.

"We're preparing a birthday party for a friend. Jungkook, if you remember."

"Of course, I remember him."

A moment of awkward silent came over. The three of you were speechless. And there were no signs that Johnny could stay longer because you didn't even let him come in to your house. Instead you carried on conversating—particularly short conversation by the door. What bothered Johnny even more was the fact that Jaehyun didn't leave you. He just stayed there, standing still behind you with his arms folded, sometimes stealing a gaze at Johnny. These boys would often have their eyes meet each other as well. Jaehyun would be the first to break the eye contact as it was beyond awkward.

"I think I should leave.." Johnny began to speak again, although he tried hard to disguise his shaking voice by faking a chuckle between his words. To him, you clearly didn't want him there to join the little party. Because he remembered couple years ago, you would excitedly invite him, saying that it would be nice if your friends knew what a great boyfriend you had. He did come to one occasion, then the rest of your following invitations were turned down. He probably couldn't remember the last time you ever asked him to come over to your friends' occasions. "Tell Jungkook I say hi, and happy belated birthday."

"Okay. Will do." You were ready to close the door as you sent Johnny off to go. But he quickly paused his step and went back to you before the door was completely shut.

"Ah, wait, Yeoreum," he called quite loudly to prevent you closing the door.

"Yes?" You swung open the door again.

Johnny made an eye contact with Jaehyun who he thought had left your side. He had to shake it off that disturbing feeling. "What do you think.. if I, uh.. can I pick you up after you finish with Jungkook?" he asked quickly.

"I'm not sure, Johnny.." You looked apologetic. Your eyes were looking at anywhere but his eyes, contrary to his habit of looking straight into people's eyes. And soul. "I don't know what time I will go home."

"I will wait for you." He was insisting but he spoke with such a delicate and sincere tone.

Jaehyun tapped your arm. "You promised to go with me to this music and book store," he muttered.

"Oh, right, I almost forgot," you spoke to yourself before going back to Johnny. "Johnny, I'm sorry I can't today. Maybe next time?" you offered, without even thinking what 'next time' could mean. And nobody could guarantee that next time.

A bitter, sad smile was disguised perfectly on Johnny's face. "Oh, sure. It's fine."

 

Earlier that day, Jungkook's girlfriend, Sia called you in the morning, reminding you about Jungkook's birthday party. She asked you to manage the birthday cake, along with Jaehyun since he already had the cake store address which happened to be nearby your neighborhood. To your surprise, Jaehyun came even before you took a bath. So you just had to welcome him still in your pajamas and puffy face. Jaehyun giggled at your appearance.

"I heard Sia booked the cafe only for 2 hours?" you asked while brushing your teeth in hurry.

"Yeah," Jaehyun answered, yelling so you could hear him from the living room. He waited for you in a bright mood. His feet were tapping the floor lightly as he quietly hummed random cheerful melody. He had to thank Jungkook and Sia for this party they set up for himself to get closer to you. Sia did the booking for only a short time in purpose, so Jaehyun could take you out and enjoy the moments for only both of you.

Once you got the cake, and again you were surprised that the cake was plain white. As plain as your face in the morning. You almost dropped your jaw when the clerk wrapped some deco-pen, sprinkles and other edible garnish, meaning that you had to do the decoration by yourself. "Are you telling me we have to get it done by ourselves?" you ranted to Jaehyun. "Come on. We paid for this?"

Jaehyun let out his crisp laugh. "Sia said it would be more meaningful with this, sort of, DIY cake. And this store sells the yummiest cake. You have to trust me."

"Say good bye to your birthday cake even before you see it, Jungkook," you did a dramatic monologue as you began to arrange some mini macaroons as topping. Jaehyun didn't help much and basically just stood by you, non-stop saying—more like nagging actually with 'be careful with this or that',  'don’t use too much pink' and concluding with 'I don't want to ruin the cake even more' when you confronted him to do it by himself.

"Can you make yourself more useful?" you snapped to the dimply man after you succeeded writing 'happy' in 10 minutes because your hands were trembling. That was when your bell rang and then came Johnny.

Right after Johnny left, you and Jaehyun finished decorating Jungkook's birthday cake without much talking. The cheerful mood you had had turned into awkward silence. The smiley dimply Jaehyun also changed into only dimply Jaehyun because he often pursed his lips into straight line. "You were talkative earlier," you teased.

Jaehyun faked chuckles.

"Why? Is it because of Johnny?"

He let out an awkward laugh, and he immediately admitted it. "Are you guys dating?" Rather than a question, it was more like a confirmation to him.

"We used to be," you answered without looking at him as you closed and wrapped a ribbon for Jungkook's cake. "I notice that you two know each other too?"

"I used to be a DJ hosting a radio program with him."

You nodded, saying 'oh, I didn't know that' with your face.

"Do you.. still have that feeling for him?"

You smiled yet your expression was hard to read. "I'm not sure. Overall, yes, I like him since we're friends now. I mean, you wouldn't be friends with someone you don't like."

Jaehyun nodded slowly. His mind was frantically trying to interpret the 'I like him' part. "Are you... somewhat thinking of getting back together?"

You chuckled. "Ask Jungkook that. He asked me the same and I have told him."

Another awkward laugh slipped off his mouth. For the rest of the day, Jaehyun tried hard to focus on that it was him right here right now who was being with you. He forced himself not to think about Johnny and the possibility of you getting back together with him.