3 | I make you tired

By your side

"So, how does it go? You can run but you cannot hide those dimples," Minhyuk teased, making Jaehyun's smile even wider.

"Oooh, look at that smile," Naeun squealed.

"It's been... good. You can call us 'cafe buddies', I guess? We always meet at her favorite cafe, which I wouldn't complain at all. I mean, she kinda kept the distance at first. But I think we're getting better?" He made a lot of eyebrows rising, hand gestures and shoulder shrugging movements as he told his stories. And he could keep going on and on about every single detail whenever he met you. He remembered perfectly the second time he summoned his courage to talk to you.

'Oh, Jungkook's friend. You're here again?'
He smiled. 'I heard you're a regular here?'
'I actually am. Big fan of their tea and brunch menu, not gonna lie.'

'The barista told me there is someone who always uses this seat, and she always comes on weekends. He said it was rarely that this seat was empty almost all day long. And that it is odd that I chose this seat.'
'Yeah, I had to go somewhere..'
'Isn't it a good thing I saved this seat?'
'Not really. People are not fond of this seat. So no one would probably sit here, except me.' You sipped your matcha latte. 'Unless you're going to be a regular customer and take this seat from me.'
'I hope you don't mind seeing me here often. Because I agree with you that the food here is great.'
'Just, don't steal my favorite spot, okay?'
'I thought it would be better to share some space with a friend,' he spoke with his big grin that his dimples were showing off proudly. 'I hope you're not forgetting my offer to be friends with you.'
'Yeah, that.. Jungkook said you're okay,' you said, your hands gesturing a 'so-so' motion and your eyes squinting a bit. 'So, why not?'
'What is 'okay' supposed to be mean?'
You giggled as you shrugged. 'If I come here again tomorrow, will I see you here?'
'It depends. But mostly yeah. Why are you asking?'
'Um, can I see you again?'
'If I'm here, then, yes. But if not, then..' You continued with your shoulders shrugged.

"Now that's what you called a great development," cheered Minhyuk proudly. He knew Jaehyun was good at communicating once he felt comfortable and not nervous. Naeun was supportive as well to urge Jaehyun to continue.

"It's great because I feel really emotionally close, and she's not just physically present, you know what I mean? What makes it better is that we never have our phones in our hands. Like, we just talk about anything. Or just sit there with our journals or any books we bring. Is this what they call to find happiness even in silence?"

Both Minhyuk and Naeun clearly had hearts in their eyes while listening to Jaehyun who was like a teenager falling in love for the very first time. "I'm happy for you, Jaehyun," said Naeun in awe.

"But..." Suddenly his voice went down along with his expression. "Do you think I should worry about Johnny?"

"What about Johnny?" Minhyuk asked back.

"They still hang out together, although not that kind of together?"

Minhyuk and Naeun exchanged eye contact. They understood perfectly Jaehyun's concern, because they felt the same. The fact you and Johnny being in the same circle was something that can't be  ignored just like that. Although there was nothing they can do about it.

"Maybe, just maybe, when the time is right, you can ask her about Johnny?" suggested Naeun.

"Yeah, eventually you need to know that for sure. Although Doyoung said it's okay fot you to make a move on her, you still have to know the truth directly from her."

—※

I thought you would be forever within my arms
But gotta let go I made you tired, yet I can't let you go
I'm still living in that season
This is it, I know it's over
I know everything now

Johnny frowned with his eyes shut as the song 'Goodbye Winter' almost ended. Thank goodness he only had to fake his intonation during the radio program he was hosting alone. His facial expression cannot lie. He clearly looked frustrated although it was 'goodbye winter', not 'goodbye summer'. He never felt so attached to a song before. Particularly because contrary to your name, you were actually more of a winter person. Johnny was aware of that. Unlike your name, even you were infamous for being cold if judging from your appearance and how you were not into talking to people. Johnny remembered his effort in attempt to melt the winter and bring out the summer in you. He somehow succeeded though. He enjoyed having you in the warm and cold version. It was like getting the best of both worlds.

"Okay, so, today's J-Talk is pretty hot. I still don't get why some people do not understand the art of pineapples on top of a pizza, but, yeah, gotta respect everyone's preference. J-talk will come back to you with other interesting topics, so don't miss it. This has been Johnny's Station, I'll see you guys next week." As soon as the mic was turned off, Johnny let out a heavy sigh. He reached for his phone, only to find Taeyong's texts bombarding him. Just in time, Taeyong called.

"I'm on my way going back to the office," he said, slightly grunting to his phone without saying hello, then hung it up immediately.

It was already past 8 PM, and he wondered why people still stayed at the office. Johnny walked through some desks, passing yours actually before he came into a meeting room to see Taeyong and the other guys. He almost stopped by at your desk if Taeyong did not drag him away.

"I'll just ask her if she wants to go," he said, ignoring his buddy as he tried releasing himself from Taeyong’s surprisingly strong grip on his arm.

"Johnny, stop." Taeyong had to be a little bit hard on him but he didn't know how. In a flash Johnny already escaped from him, that he had to go after him approaching you. "Johnny!" he half-shouted, forgetting that Johnny was already with you.

Not only Johnny himself, but you turned your head to Taeyong. You flashed him a friendly smile.

"Summer, hey," Taeyong cheerfully greeted you, trying to hide his concerned expression because of what Johnny did—talking to you.

"How is it going, Taeyong?"

"I'm good. We're all good." He exaggerated with his hands gestures, trying to side-hug Johnny, which was failed due to the height differences. Johnny stayed silent, feeling a bit irritated actually that Taeyong had to interfere like this. Because now your attention was divided, and seemingly you were more attentive towards Taeyong.

"That's great to know," you lightly chuckled.

"I told her about Ten's upcoming birthday party," Johnny cut in.

"Yeah, Doyoung too have told me yesterday," you responded, without looking at Johnny at all, and facing Taeyong instead.

"Oh, yeah, that..."

"If you'd like, you can go with m—"

"Yeoreum, you know you don't have to come." Taeyong interrupted Johnny's words as he threw a sharp glimpse at the big guy. "I know Ten basically invite everyone. But you don't have to. Because you know, crowds, loud music, people, and everything."

You chuckled. "I know. If it's my birthday party there would be only less than 10 people," you joked. You understood Taeyong'a concern. But you were quite close to the birthday boy. He actually personally contacted you to come. "I'll just stop by to give him my present."

"I'll go with you." Johnny tried to be in the loop again.

"What Johnny means is we all will go with you. There will be me, Johnny, Taeil, Yuta, Winwin, Doyoung, and Mark." Taeyong let out an awkward loud laugh. "Ten wouldn't dare to keep you for long if we're all there with you."

Johnny gritted his teeth, yet still maintaining his beam.

"I'll see you guys next week then." You waved good bye at the boys, then you walked further without turning back at all.

Johnny let out a frustrated sigh. "What the hell, Taeyong?!"

"Johnny, you know she's not into a party. She had to come to all parties you attended when she'd rather stay at home. But she still went because of you," he spat. "Just... don't, Johnny. Stop. Let her live."

"Why not you let me live?"

"Johnny, you're exhausting her!" Taeyong finally yelled, rising his voice. "I don't want to say this, but she's tired. I know you've been trying to keep her by your side. But you already let her go. Now don't complicate things."

I make you tired? How tired are you? Why didn’t I realize it?

Could it be... you never changed this whole time? Is it me who didn't know you very well?