KNOCK KNOCK 06

IZ*ONE AT YOUR DOORSTEP [HIATUS]

I'm currently working on a short film project for my major subject. My 2 year-old laptop has given up on me, and I am now stuck trying to set up this damn desktop computer. I tried calling for service assistance but, the hard-pouring rain in the middle of the night just prevented me from doing so. Apparently it's a typhoon hailing from southwest. I once again delved into the confusing instruction booklet, its complex terms making me irritated. I'm not that fluent in Nihonggo to be understanding such jargons included in the sentences. I tried to read the words written purely in a mix of Hiragana and Kanji, trailing off the paper. As I am getting immersed in reading, I got startled by the loud thunder that came, almost cussing at the thunderous sound. Not too long as I was recovering from its suddenness, the doorbell rang almost giving me a heart attack.

"!" I finally let out a yell, jumping out of surprise. Who the hell could it be at this hour!? Another one came, making me breathe in again even though I've been holding it in for a while. I wander my eyes throughout my surroundings, thinking who could possibly be outside. Reaching out to an empty conclusion, I furrow my brows and stomp my way to the doorstep. I turned the knob harshly and swung it open.

"Thank you for scaring the out of me-!" I huffed out in annoyance, only to be welcomed by someone I never, never expected.

"Uh... k-konbanwa..." the young-looking lady in front of me trailed off, flashing a sheepish smile at me. My jaws drop at the bob-haired woman in front of me, and trailed my eyes to another woman peeking over her shoulder. They are both drenched from the seemingly endless downpour. The other woman slightly shorter than the bob-haired girl moved beside her and clasped her hands together.

"I- can... we... enter?" she tilts her head sideward as she finishes asking in her broken Japanese. I just stared at her, not registering anything on my mind right now... and I felt my cheeks flushed up in warmth as I lose my balance and finally fainted.

~*~

"Nae-chan..." I felt hands slowly shaking me. I willed my eyelids open and woke up at the sight of the two oldest members of IZ*ONE. My eyes widened immediately as I realized that I'm lying on the floor, my door wide open, because of me blocking it's way. I sat up immediately then jolting up on my own two feet. I combed my hair backwards trying to look calm, and flashed them a smile.

"I-I'm sorry." I scratched my nape from embarrassment.

"Are you okay?" Eunbi was about to approach me but I stepped backward, holding my hands out in front of me.

"Yeah totally fine, hehe. Oh, right, come on in," I offered as I let them enter my home. I didn't mind their wet clothes dripping rain water on my floor as I lead them to the dining area. I hurried over to my bathroom to give them towels and came back to distribute them to the pair.

"Sorry to disturb you at this ungodly hour," Sakura says apologetically as she takes one of the towels.

"Well, who was the one that insisted on going for a movie date night earlier?" Eunbi joins in the conversation. Sakura just bows her head down in regret.

"W-well of course I loved it but look it rained. Hard," Eunbi adds on, flustered.

"Unnies, why not take a bath first?" I finally took the courage to give them an offer. "And maybe stay the night also."

"Eh?" the two members looked at me in wonder.

"Well, it's still raining hard I think it won't stop anytime soon. Besides, I'm alone and I could use some company tonight." I said a little bit shy.

~*~

"Nae-chan, we're done," I looked up at them wearing my clothes that's almost a perfect fit for them. I stood up and dust my shorts up.

"Hm, great," I smiled at them as they looked at me with gratefulness. Where should I take this conversation?

"Nae?" Sakura waved her hand at me. "O-oh yes unnie?"

"You've been staring at us for quite a while now." I'm busted.

"How can I not be?" I sighed. I pointed my finger at Sakura. "You're my number 1!" and then pointed it next to Eunbi. "My number two!" I finally let out a whipped fangirl squeal in front of them that I've been holding on since.

"Eh!? I'm your ult?" Sakura questioned, placing a hand on her chest. "Yabainde!" she exclaimed with eyes wide in amazement.

"So I'm just the second?" Eunbi cuts in, raising one of her brow. I gulped nervously.

"No! Uh, of course I like you but-" I looked at her still looking unconvinced. "AGH! SAKURA-UNNIE HELP ME! She- she's threatening your number 1 spot in my heart!" I shout out my dilemma.

"Well, it's understandable. She is very talented and her jinjja nice body..." Sakura trails off.

"Oh Kkura you're still not over it yet?" Eunbi asks.

"Well, it's true unnie. You look gorgeous," Sakura responds.

"You've been making all of WIZ*ONES' hearts swoon over you!" I exclaimed. "You've constantly bias-wrecked me unnie," I added.

"Well, I'm sure it's because of my charm," Eunbi flips her long, straight hair out, almost hair-slapping Sakura if she didn't dodge it in time.

"Oh my gosh her baseless confidence," I gushed over at her act. Both Sakura and I just stared at Eunbi for awhile.

"Oh come on, stop it you two," Eunbi snaps us out of our senses.

"Nae-chan, what's that behind you?" Sakura asks as she looks over behind my back. I looked behind my back as I get reminded of the boxes of equipments for my desktop computer. An idea finally hits me. Perfect!

"Oh, I just bought this earlier and I need to set this up, but this," I picked up the annoying instruction booklet. "This darn-"

"Hey, your language, kid," Eunbi warns me.

"Ah- oh, sorry Unnie, hehe," I then brought my attention back to where I left off. "This annoying instruction booklet is irritating the hell-" I stopped as I felt Eunbi's glare at me. "This booklet is irritating me because I can't understand any of it as most of them are too complex," I complained with a pout.

"But you can speak Nihonggo well," Sakura reasons out.

"Well, I do but the booklet has technological terms I don't know how to interpret," Sakura walks over to me and took the booklet from my hand.

"Let me see then," she walked over to the boxes, and I immediately helped her take the CPU out, with Eunbi just standing watching over us.

"Uhm, Nae-chan, Kkura-yah, do you want something to eat? It's not yet too late, and I think it'll take a long while for the two of you to finish that so, I'll cook something for us," Eunbi suggested. I looked up at her.

"Oh sure, Unnie. The kitchen's all yours," I answered, flashing a small smile. I followed her with ny gaze as she walked to the kitchen, rummaging around for ingredients. I turned back to look at Sakura who's busy sorting out and checking everything we needed.

"You bought everything you need?" she asked while looking through everything.

"Uh, while looking for a great computer, I just told the clerk that I need it for video editing, and gaming," she looked up to me, her eyes meeting mine. She looked like a cat whose ears perked up at the mention of her favorite thing. "I just let him lead me to those products that offer amazing specs at a reasonable price, and told him to give me everything I essentially needed," I continued.

"Hm. Well, you seemed to be lucky, you've been given everything you need."

"Well, I kinda made my way of acting a little bit 'cute' even though I was deeply embarrassed inside," I blushed a little as I remember my earlier conquest.

"Then I guess it worked on him," she chuckles.

"I think I used an AKB-inspired aegyo," she paused on her tracks. She looked up at me with wide eyes. "I imitated some members and sang like you guys," I smiled innocently.

"Ehhh!?" she flashed a late reaction. I just laughed at her for her funny antics. "I wanna see it."

"Eh?" I looked at her and she just looked at me. I looked down willing my all into it. I looked up and looked at her and gave her a sweet smile.

"Sakura ni minna de tabeta no~" I danced a bit and right after I immediately curled my fingers from the cringiness. "Ehhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh it's too cringy!" Sakura just laughed at me as I roll over the floor covering my face with my hands as I feel extremely embarrassed.

I was tasked to assemble the monitor and arrange the peripherals on my desktop. Meanwhile Sakura has immersed herself in figuring out the instructions and I just stood behind her watching how she perfectly follows it. It took us 2 hours to finally finish, and just right on time, Eunbi showed up.

"Hey guys, eat now while it's still hot," Eunbi peeked on us. Both of us followed Eunbi to the living room where there are various snacks laid out on the table.

"Woah, so many~" I muttered, my eyes sparkling from the generous amount she cooked. We sat on the floor with me between them. I the television so that we could have something to occupy us while eating.

"Itadakimasu!" we exclaimed simultaneously.

"So, you're currently in college?" Eunbi asked me.

"Un. I'm taking Film."

"Wow, how cool!" Sakura commented.

"Ohhh, so you're making movies and stuff?" Eunbi asked in curiousity.

"Well, yes. Also history, and generally everything about film and movies," I answered.

"Why here though?"

"Hm, ever since I was 13 years old I dreamt of flying here. I don't know, I just felt a strong connection with Japan."

"Then you must have known AKB quite early," Sakura concluding mindlessly.

"Well, not really," Sakura looked at me with her big eyes. "I learned about it just when you all joined in the reality show. I just got interested in you and Jurina, and they made my way to search about all of you. Starting from the first generation members, I really took my time to watch all of your shows whenever I find that they're still available." the Unnies just looked at me with wonder. "Oh yeah! Let's watch Majisuka Gakuen!" I changed the source of my television to my hard drive, and I instantly scrolled down to the folders filled with Majisuka Gakuen episodes. I played its 4th season and immediately watched the episode of Sakura fighting Team Hinabe.

"Oh! It's Juri!" Eunbi exclaimed as she spotted former AKB member Takahashi Juri who's now a Rocket Punch member acting alongside Sakura. We watched its highlight which was the fight scene. Eunbi seemed to be stunned by how great Sakura has acted.

After 2 hours of binge-watching we decided to get ready for sleep. Since the bed is quite huge (and considering my Nako-like physique) we decided to just share the bed. We huddled up under the blanket, tucking it to ourselves tightly because of the cold due to the ongoing hard downpour. We're leaning against the headboard as we are trying to make ourselves sleepy.

"How nice, being able to fulfill your dreams," Eunbi randomly said with a hint of sadness.

"Well, I'd say the same for the both of you. I mean, look at you guys now, you're very famous. Not to mention, a lot of people really loved your dedication in anything that you do," I responded. But then I looked at the both of them looking down in deep thought.

"Hm, you know, for every choice we make, there's always a take away," I started. They looked at me again as I start dwelling into some deep thinking. "No matter what we choose, either way we have to give something away or leave something behind. In short, we always have to sacrifice. We all have different dreams, some even contradicting with each other. But then, if we genuinely want to achieve it, surely we'd do everything that we can to achieve both of it, and still feel happy in the end," thinking about it, I suddenly let out a chuckle. "How bold of me to say that, when I can't even apply it in my own life," I laughed bitterly. "I know it's very tough living the idol life, and I know I have only seen not even the half of it, but from what I saw, with all the years I've stuck around in the world of K-POP, I can definitely say that all of you have been very brave and courageous to take this path and rise up to where you are now. It's no joke being able to make it this far."

"You're right. It's very tough surviving in this industry, and I hope more people would realize," Eunbi answered.

"Speaking of which, both of you are the oldest and most probably have the most experience," I said in realization. I shifted my body to face Eunbi.

"Wah Eunbi-unnie," I started, and stared at her amusingly. This is totally out of the blue, but, no more time to say this than now. "You are the best, the greatest leader, IZ*ONE could ever have. You did well holding on and not giving up. You said this is your last chance, but then I believe this is just the start," I mustered up the courage and gave her a pat on the head. "You did well, and you'll always do," I smiled. I immediately turned to Sakura.

"Sakura-unnie," I stared at her lovingly. "You're born to be a star. You said you came here to find a new you, to improve, and I am 100% sure, you have succeeded in doing so. I am very glad you were able to discover more of what you are capable of doing. Don't stop. Step up and be confident. You're doing fine," I held on to her shoulder firmly. "Achieve everything step by step, no one's chasing you," I chuckled.

"I know both of you have your own burdens to carry, and it's your responsibility to do so, BUT, it's also your duties to stop and take a break. If you don't rest once in a while, the moment you finish climbing the top you might break down," I indicated literally and figuratively. After that, silence filled the room. It was a little bit tense, yet comfortable as we all drown in our own thoughts.

"You're saying that but you need to do the same too," Eunbi broke the silence.

"Huh?" I widened my eyes for a bit, and looked at her, stunned. She closed her eyes and nodded a bit. She then opened her eyes and looked at me.

"As much as your sermon touched us, you have to admit that it's also something you needed to hear from others."

"Well..." I scratched my nape from shyness. What Eunbi said next totally hit me like an arrow struck at my heart.

"You gave up didn't you? Even before you tried," I looked at her in astonishment.

"Well I-"

"You're being supportive of others but you don't even support yourself fully. You're not using us to satisfy your regrets or something, are you?" Sakura asked. I gasped and looked at her.

"No! No! Of course I don't," I denied in a hurry. I looked down and my hands started to fidget. "I'm very much aware of what I can do now, I knew it, but I can't bring myself to push myself to pursue everything I want. I told myself, maybe just by studying here I can somehow get over the dream of..."

"Being a musician?" Eunbi completed my sentence.

"Yeah... my mom always opposed it, saying it's more of a hobby or a talent rather than making it an occupation. It's basically a sideline."

"But you're taking something that suits your interest," Sakura reasoned out.

"Oh, I was just lucky to get a scholarship. Mom doesn't want me to attend in a prestigious university because we can't afford it. I know they're struggling to have me finish, but I can't let go of this because for once, I found something I genuinely would like to do that I know I can surely achieve, even though they're still against it," I shrugged as I remembered how much they are still against it.

"That's tough..." Sakura muttered.

"That's one way to put it, yes," I chuckled.

~*~

I woke up alone on my bed. Oh, maybe they're gone... I thought so until I heard distant noises outside. I went down and saw them cooking together.

"Wha- I thought you guys were gone..." I said as I enter the kitchen.

"Oh, you're awake!" Eunbi smiled brightly as she starts setting up the table, with her newly cooked Kimchi Fried Rice.

"I'm done!" Sakura turned off the stove and placed her dish on the center of the table beside the fried rice.

"It's Kura-don," I said as I take a seat. We paid respects and started digging in.

"Umai!" I exclaimed in delight.

"As it should," Eunbi flipped her hair proudly.

"Glad you like it," Sakura chuckled at my expression.

"I never had this good food ever since I came here," I replied.

"But Hyewon and Chaeyeon took you on a food trip."

"As much as I enjoyed, I think Hyewon-unnie had the most fun throughout. And for me home-cooked meals just hits differently," I added.

"We heard on the news that your classes are suspended, and we don't really have anything to do for work, so we just decided to stay another day here!" Eunbi clasped her hands together happily.

"How could you decide on that so easily?" I asked, looking incredulous.

"This is a bonus for you so cherish it!" Sakura answered smugly.

"Uhhh, thank you?" I followed, sarcastically.

"Hm! You have a guitar?" Eunbi beamed as she saw the guitar beside the television.

"Yeah, my friend gave it to me as a gift... but I dunno how to play, so it's just on display." Eunbi took the guitar and sat on the couch, getting into playing position. Sakura, with a cup of green tea on hand, sat beside her from a little distance. I just stood at my spot, and she started strumming.

I jumped in and sang along with them.

"I spent 10,000 hours and 10, 000 more
Oh if that's what it takes to take that sweet heart of yours
And I might never get there but I'm gonna try
If it's 10, 000 hours or the rest of my life~"


The rest of the morning was full of music jamming.

That night, Sakura took me on a Fortnite tutorial.

"Ah!" I exclaimed as I get killed once again.

"Eh!? Nae-chan, that's like the tenth time you got killed!" Sakura shouted reprimanding me.

"Gomenasai Miyawaki-sensei. I'll try better," I said apologetically.

"Yeah you better do," she said. "Okay, one more time!" she exclaimed excitedly.

"Hai!" I responded enthusiastically, enjoying it all too much.

"Take this gun, it's much more useful than this one."

"Yah ideora, it's 10PM already we should all sleep! The kid's got classes tomorrow!"

~*~

The next day, classes resume and Eunbi offered to drive me to school. With Sakura on the front passenger seat, I was seated at the back.

"Did you have everything ready?" Eunbi asks as she shifts gears.

"Uh-huh," I answered shortly. Why do I feel something familiar. I stared at their backs for a moment and I suddenly felt sentimental.

"You're not really eating breakfast Nae-chan?" Sakura shifted around her seat to face me and ask me directly. The small ruckus awhile ago came back to me again.

"Hey! Eat your breakfast! Nae-yah!" Eunbi yells from the kitchen.

"I don't eat breakfast! And I need to prepare my things!" I answered back shouting as I run around the house preparing my things.

"Argh!" I heard Eunbi grunting, irritated. I chuckled by myself as I thought it sounded cute, but then I should apologize for it later.


"Yup, I'm definitely fine, Unnie." I smiled at her.

"You should always eat at least a little. College is tough and you always need energy," Eunbi lectures as she remains focused on the road ahead of us. I catched her glance at me through the rear view mirror looking serious.

"That's right. Listen to Mom," Sakura tilted her body and looked through the rear view mirror also grinning at me.

"As it should be, otou-san," Eunbi retorted jokingly.

"I'll take note of that, Mom and Dad," I joined in as I play along, a smirk forming through my lips.

"That's our daughter," they said simultaneously. It was perfect timing as we come to a halt because of the red light. We fell quiet and just looked at each other through the rear view mirror. After a second of silence, laughter filled the car as we find the witty coincidence funny. The entire ride made me feel warm and pleasant, as their presence filled my lonely Japan life a little bit brighter.

We finally arrived at my university and I immediately went off the car. Sakura rolled down the window and Eunbi lowered her head to see me.

"It was great hanging out with you," Sakura said gratefully.

"Yeah, it was a relaxing 1 day 2 night stay," Eunbi followed.

"Same here. It was a great pleasure having you at my house. Thanks for the ride~" I smiled curtly. I bowed a bit and was about to go when Eunbi stopped me.

"Wait!"

"Hm?" I looked at them cluelessly. Sakura lifted a lunchbag with her hands.

"Eat that as soon as you get the time to," Eunbi reminded me with a tone of authority.

"Yes Mom~" I joked around again. "Oh right, sorry you sounded kind of upset earlier, grunting when I declined the food-"

"Hahahaha that's totally fine. I was just playing around at that time too," Eunbi grinned playfully.

"Now, take this Nae-chan," Sakura handed me the bag. "Eat well, okay? Fighting!" she followed as I took it from her grasp.

"Yeah and study well! Don't forget the student council fee!" Eunbi joked once again. I laughed at her funny remark.

"Yes Mom-and-Dad Unnies. I'll keep it in mind."

"Okay good. You better do well. Fighting!" Eunbi cheered balling one of her hands into fist. Sakura did the same gesture too.

"Fighting!" and I joined them too.

"Enjoy~" Eunbi waves her hand and so does Sakura. Eunbi flashed a motherly smile with Sakura emitting the same vibe too. I bowed at them and waved my hands as I smiled so bright while walking backwards. They gave me flying kisses and I gave back two, followed by a big heart stretching my arms over my head. I watched them speed off with Sakura still waving to me until we can't see each other anymore.







Oh, Kkura's famous toast and probably Eunbi cooked this pork cutlet... and a variety of fruits. I smiled at the feast in front of me. They prepared so much. There's kimbap, scrambled eggs to pair up with tonkatsu, the stir-fried vegetables and fruits... this would definitely last up till the way home. Looking at the stir-fried vegetables and fresh fruits showed how much Eunbi really cares about health haha. As I eat it delighfully, a feeling I've been feeling since the car ride started rushing back to me. Parents cooking and preparing meals for their children, and taking them to school... I miss my family. Eunbi-unnie and Sakura-unnie helped me overcome homesickness for a bit and loneliness in general...

 

-----

Yey! A double update! I've been wanting to spill it but I resisted myself to because I don't want to jinx it HAHAHAHA. I said it two weeks ago but I only got to post one geez. I learnt my lesson of not saying anything before I update and confirming things ahead of time kekekeke. Anyways I hope this chapter is fine...? I wanted to make it more relatable and a lil bit intimate, since we don't know what's happening behind the cameras and given that they don't have all the time to rest. I hope people would be much more appreciative, considerate and respectful of idols. No matter if they are our fave or not.

It's nearing its end, so I might go a bit slower again. I just hope it won't last for 2 months again (fingers crossed). I wanna balance the fics I'm writing and my other hobbies so...

As always thank you and till the next read!