Magic Spell

Marry Me, Marry Me Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiseul was an exotic beauty even for her own countries standards. At first glance she didn't seem like much, actually her eyes were sort of small and gave her a sleepy look but when she smiled the whole world was left in awe. Kai knew this. He'd seen her use her wily feminine charm. It seemed to him that every passing guy seemed to believe that Kang Jiseul smiled for him.

Kai made a face. It was first session. He was the only one without a sign up. That was dreadful. Not that he cared too much. He'd been at this job for more than 5 years. No one was going to fire him. The CEO liked him too much for that. He was a partial special case.

Lately, Kai was starting to dislike his street fundraising job. There was no excitement here. Everyday was relatively the same. He sold his looks for a living. They all did. He had to ooze as much charm as the next fundraiser.

The street they were working on today was an oddball. It was one of those hit or miss places that Kai hated. He would usually do really well here or do terrible. There was no in between. It had been sort of busy this morning.

He was working with Suho and Jiseul today. The two of them had already secured a sign up each.

There where 3 working sessions in total. The daily target was 3. The idea was to get at least 1 sign up per session. He had none.

Kai scoffed.

He hated the big yellow Dog's Trust jacket that made him look like a clown in front of passers by. It looked warm but it was e. All the rain and wind came through. He was equipped with a thick fleece and his own bodyheat.

The weather today was e too. Probably the reason why his mood was flat as a pancake. He was craving a ciggy too. He marched up to Jiseul and asked her for the time.

The team leader, Suho, noticed. He was always critically watching Kai as if Kai was going to stalk off for a smoke or something. Kai considered to do this now that Suho was frowning behind his fundraiser smile.

"12.20, we have 10 minutes till break. You still have time to squeeze a sign up. It's sort of busy today."

Before Kai could open his mouth to respond, Suho came to make the mood sour.

"Break it up guys, you're not being paid to chat to each other."

Kai surveyed Suho. "I want to go for a toilet break. Need to use the jacks."

Kai was already and Suho shouted, "Don't take too long."

Jiseul shook her head. Kai was the most lax person working for Dog's Trust. He simply did everything he wanted and always got away with it. She expected people would hate him because of his attitude but drat him, he was a likeable enough fellow. No one really hated him. He'd joined Dog's Trust at a young age. The CEO, their boss and their bosses boss all had a soft spot for him.

No one really stayed fundraising for as long as Kai had. People quit all the time, a day, half a day, a couple hours, a few months. This was just the nature of the job. Not everyone was born to fundraise.

Jiseul worked part time. She was here to help pay for her college fees. She was an art student. She had no clue how long she would spend at Dog's Trust. Maybe she would stay until they fired her?

Jiseul grinned. She was too good at her job for Rowoon to fire her. She liked fundraising too much to quit. Perhaps college was stopping her from her true calling? Maybe she was born to fundraise?

Jiseul shook her head. This part time job wasn't somewhere she wanted to be for the rest of her life. It was just a passing breeze.

Kai returned just in time for lunch break. Suho was surprised to see he hadn't stalked off to the office for lunch. Kai removed his jacket, flipped it inside out and finally lit that cigarette he'd been craving. His teammates both made faces.

"I get why he's mad, but why are you?" Kai asked Jiseul.

He plucked an extra cigarette and waved it in front of her face. "Want me to light it?"

Jiseul shook her head. "I'm trying to cut back on the smokes."

Kai grinned.

"You sure you don't wanna share?" He wiggled his own cigarette out of his mouth and offered it.

Jiseul burst into laughter. "I'm sure."

Suho, who had been keeping silent this entire time, wished Dog's Trust would fire all the smokers. He was sick of being in their presence and inhaling all that they exhaled. Unfortunately, Kai wasn't going anywhere. Jiseul was tolerable at least, she was funny, friendly and pretty too. Suho didn't mind looking at her.

He made a mental note to tell Rowoon not to put him on the same team as Kai next time. There was only so much of Kai that Suho could stand.

Lunch time. Lunch time was where all the fundraisers gathered in the kitchen to gobble as much as they could in 30 minutes. Rowoon had his break with them. Kai didn't hang around there because he had no good news to report. Rowoon would give him that look, I-know-you-can-do-your-job-when-you-want-to-so-why-haven't-you-scored-yet? Besides, Kai didn't mind stalking outside of the Dog's Trust building with a smoke hanging in his mouth.

Jiseul was also there. She seemed agitated about something. Her face was covered in frown.

"What's up?" Kai initiated conversation.

She glanced at him from the corner of her eye. Pulled her cigarette from her lips and exhaled a pluming sigh.

"I just remembered an assignment I was meant to hand in. I haven't even started it yet. So stressful. I forgot I was cutting back on smokes." She gave a wry smile.

"Oh," he replied, thinking it would be something important.

Jiseul laughed musically. "That's the most sympathetic response I've heard all day. Must be nice to be you."

Kai chuckled too. It really wasn't nice to be him but everyone else seemed to think so, so he always played along.

"What kind of assignment is that?"

"It's a lino print. I have to do that as soon as I get home, wake up earlier to get the submission in and then get to work. Ugh!"

Kai still didn't get what the big deal was. Jiseul seemed to know how to sort out her assignment mess, so why was she annoyed? Now if she didn't have that plan set up, Kai would have understood.

"Are you fishing for sympathy?"

Jiseul ga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter