Chance

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yeri-ah the breakfast is ready, come here and eat.” Taeyeon told her youngest daughter.

“Eomma, I think I saw Joohyun unnie last night she’s taking a walk with someone while holding each other’s hands.” yeri informed her mother which earned a disgusted look from taeyeon.

“I really don’t like that girl I don’t know what your brother saw in her and now she’s dating again after making her daughter wait for her, how selfish she could be? Taeyeon angrily stated.

-------------------------------


At the Café, Seulgi and Joy was talking about something.


“Joy-ah, I’m planning on confessing to joohyun that I like her and I want her to be my girlfriend, what do you think?”


“Seulgi-ah if your heart has already made a decision then go, I will always be here to support you.”


“I want to do it this coming Saturday night so that I will have two days to prepare.”

“Then count me in my friend I’ll help you to prepare.”

“Thanks Joy-ah.”


Joohyun was thinking something deeply that she didn’t notice her friend from Department of Internal Medicine Dr. Son Seungwan who entered her office.

“Yah! Joohyun unnie!” Dr. Son slammed her palm onto Joohyun’s desk making the latter startled.

“Seungwan-ah! You scared me! Don’t do it again.”

“I’ll do it again if you keep day dreaming unnie, what are you thinking about that makes your two brows almost meet?”

“Wannie, I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“Unnie remember you can always tell me your problems and I’m always here for you.”

“It’s because of someone. I kept thinking about her, her smile, her laugh, her gentleness, everything about her makes my heart go wild and I’m always looking forward to meet her almost every day.”

“Unnie all that you said describes a feeling of being in love, so you’re in love with her? Is it by chance the one you are always talking about to me, the one named Kang Seulgi?”

“Y-yes Wannie, it’s her.”

“Then you should tell it to her or  else someone may steal her away from you.”

“I’ll confess my feelings to her since we will be meeting this Saturday night.”

“Okay, do your best unnie and remember I'm always here for you no matter what happens… let’s go and grab a lunch.” Joohyun and Seungwan  go to take their lunch and go back to their respective offices after.

--------------------------

It was  already Saturday and joohyun can’t wait to meet with seulgi but a knock interrupted her from her trance, It was Joohyun’s ex mother in law who visits her office today.


“Yah! Bae Joohyun! How can you do this to my son and granddaughter?!”


“what are you talking about Mrs. Kim?”


“Do you really don’t know or you’re just pretending that you don’t know?! You! You have time for dating but you don’t have time to fetch your daughter on time! How selfish you are!

*Pak!* Taeyeon slaps Joohyun.

“Prioritize your daughter first!” then Taeyeon walks away while the stunned Joohyun is trying to process what just happened.


The evening comes and Seulgi was now waiting in the restaurant that she had rented for her and Joohyun to meet. It has a cozy atmosphere but at the same time romantic, Joohyun then enters the place and her eyes got wider as she saw Seulgi walking to where she is while holding a bouquet of white roses which symbolizes purity. Before Seulgi can utter a word Joohyun beats her to it

“Seulgi-ah, I-I’m sorry I think I’m not yet ready to hear what you want to say...” Joohyun said not looking at Seulgi’s eyes.

“J-Joohyun, just listen first please…” Seulgi said with pleading voice.

“I like you Hyunnie….. No I think I already love you now Hyunnie….please give me a chance to prove it to you.” Seulgi said with so much gentleness while giving Joohyun the flowers, the latter then pushed the flowers back to its owner and said with a teary eyes.

“I can’t Seul, I can’t accept your feelings now.”

Seulgi slump her shoulders and lower her head, her eyes suddenly pours water and she started to cry silently to which Joohyun cannot afford to see so she run faster without knowing where to go and then she saw a lone playground without further thinking she suddenly fall on her knees and started to mumble

“I-Im so so sorry Seulgi-ah…..I’m sorry…..I…. I know how pure your love and intentions are but no matter how hard we try to the eyes of other people and to my ex mother in law it’s different, if only we had met at a right time and at a right place then I will give you a chance….but it’s not the case right now, I don’t want other people to judge you by loving me, an incompetent mother to her child who still have time to date… I’m so sorry Seulgi-ah.” Joohyun cry her heart out at the ground.

After an hour of crying she went home and saw her daughter watching tv then Minju looks at her and stood up from her position.

“Eomma… did you cry? You had a puffy eyes...” Minju asked her mom worriedly.

Joohyun then went closer to kneel and hugged her.

“No baby I didn’t cry….Eomma was just tired and worried.”

“Eomma if you’re tired then you should rest now, don’t worry about me anymore. I know it’s tiring to raise a kid on your own, eomma so don’t worry anymore, I understand you. I don't want to see you crying because it pains me to see you hurting. And it hurts even more, knowing that I can't do anything about it, Eomma. But if crying will help you lessen the pain, then cry-- but just know that I will always be here for you, that I will be here to help you carry the pain. I promise I will not give you a hard time anymore... I love you eomma.” Minju then hugged her mother tightly and kissed her forehead.

----------------------------


Seulgi goes home and entered her mansion.

“Seulgi-ah… Omo! What happened to you..You looked wasted.” Joy scolded her friend.

“I guess it was a no from her, come here.” Joy give her friend a hug and help her to clean up and go to bed. Before Joy exited seulgi’s room she give the latter a one last hug and said

“I know It’s not okay Seulgi-ah and I know that it hurts but still you should continue your life. I know Chaeyeon doesn’t want to see her mom turning away again from the world. Maybe Joohyun unnie has her reasons and my friend I’m sure she didn’t tell you that she doesn’t love you right?” Seulgi just nod.

“Then cheer up my friend it isn’t the end of the world there’s still a chance maybe you should just give her time and space to think over things.” Joy then bid her farewell.


Months had passed and the two still hasn’t met again after that night. Joy on the other hand was meeting with an old friend from her and Seulgi’s neighborhood back when they are still kids.

“Hey Sooyoungie…!”

“Yah! Wannie I told you that it’s Joy already.” Joy complained.

“Oh come on friend I still want to call you              Sooyoungie,  ah by the way where is Seulbear?”

“Seulbear was still waiting for someone so she decided to go on a trip to distract herself and not to get lonely.”

“How unfortunate, I thought I could meet her again after so many years.”

“Why? Do you missed her that much? or perhaps do you like her?” Joy asked with a smirk.

“N-no definitely no! I didn’t even know her name so how can I like her.”

“But you are anticipating to meet her so I just assumed that you have something for her, you know…” Joy shrugged.

“I just like her as my friend but can I still call her a friend even if I don’t know her full name.” Seungwan said while wondering.

“You know how playful Seulbear is when we were little, if you know how long it takes for me to convince her to let me know her full name.”

“So what’s her full name?” Seungwan asked joy.

“Well, it’s Kang Seulgi.”

“Kang Seulgi? It sounds so familiar to me, have I met her somewhere?”

“Maybe you have known someone who has the same name or you’ve heard of her cause she’s quite famous especially on charity events.” Joy stated.

Seungwan saw a text message and it came from her friend Joohyun and then her eyes got wider.

"Joohyun! Yes it's Joohyun's..."

"Oh now you know who Joohyun unnie is." Joy said sarcastically and then she came to realization and her eyes got bigger but Seungwan beat her to it.

“Is that Kang Seulgi you know, know someone named Bae Joohyun who is a doctor?” Joy is still showing a shocked face.

“H-How did you know J-Joohyun unnie?”

“I am her colleague, I'm also working at the same hospital she is working."

“Omo, Omo…. How can this be? It’s such a small world. Do you also know what their status are?” asked joy who's still shocked.

“Of course, Joohyun was my friend so I know a lot about her.”

“So did she tell you what happened that Saturday night months ago?”

“Yeah and I know her reason and I understand it well.”

“Tell me what it is.” Joy said with curiosity.

“Yah! Are you out of your mind? Joohyun is my friend so why would I disclose her secrets.”

“Yah Wannie, I’m also Joohyun unnie’s friend, the reason I want to know it is because of Seulgi. You know Seulbear was still waiting for her after that night, I notice how seulgi became lonelier and it hurts me to see her waiting for someone without you know…” Joy heave a sigh.

“So Seulgi was lonely all this time?” Seungwan asked and Joy just nodded.

“I also notice how Joohyunnie change after meeting seulbear and after rejecting her it’s was a big change, actually Joohyunnie became colder and she’s not smiling anymore, she only shows her poker face in the work.”

Then out of concern for her friends Seungwan decided to tell joy everything that happened that day especially about Joohyun’s ex mother in law.  

“So that's what happened." Joy said while nodding.

"I have an idea Seungwannie… let’s help them to realize that it’s not too late for a second chance and it’s not wrong to love each other even if other people judge them as long as they love and understand each other love will prevail.” 

Seungwan thought for a while and said.

“Deal my friend for the sake of those fools let’s do our best.”


It was a quiet night at Bae’s residence and Joohyun is now lying beside her daughter when minju suddenly scoots closer and place her head to her chest.

“What’s wrong my little princess?”

Minju shakes her head and said

“Nothing eomma.”

“Baby girl…. Look at me and tell me what’s wrong.” Joohyun is at minju’s eye level now.

“I missed her…” minju mumbled.

“Who? My love.” joohyun asked with a soft tone.

“I miss aunt Seulgi. I miss how she makes me smile when I’m having a bad day, how she carries me when I’m tired, how she makes my home works easier and how she gives me warm hugs when I’m sad. I miss her so much.. ”

Joohyun felt her shirt’s dampness which only means her baby is crying silently.

“shhh….shhh…. I’m here baby just cry all you want.” Joohyun was caressing her daughter’s back and thought

“She already became a big part on Minju’s life, my baby also loves her now.”

Joohyun is forcing herself not to cry so she just kissed the crown of her baby’s hair, she then saw Minju sleeping with tears on her cheeks, she rubbed it and said

“Mianhae….Minju-ah…Eomma was sorry for hurting the both of you. I promise I will make it right this time.” Joohyun then drifted to sleep as well.

Joy dialed Seulgi’s number and then

“Hey, you finally pick it up. I missed you, how was your travel?” Joy asked.

“It was worthwhile, I have seen many beautiful places and met many wonderful people so I was thankful that I have decided to travel but still there’s som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter