Day thirty-two in the chamber

Kinder Club

oop- okAY so like I said in the last chapter these first few chapters are just gonna be me introducing the characters and stuff, then we'll get on to the juicy stuff meaning chapters are gonna be longer. mEANING it's gonna take longer to write. MEANING you won't be getting chapters back to back like this. I'm an honors HS student and I get backed up with work a lot, but since I love procrastinating I'll likely find time to write. So expect this story to be continued. Also sorry if there are any typos but maybe not cos I'm an English nerd (but maybe yeah I'm the definition of unmotivated).

. . .

It's been a few days since Jinsoul started working as a substitute. Although the job was hard and stressful at times, the days seemed to go by quicker than usual. Jinsoul wouldn't admit it but the job was a lot more entertaining than watching sitcoms all day. Though Brooklyn Nine-Nine will forever be legendary, she can't say she preferred it over watching over her new students during the day. But she can't lie and say it wouldn't take any getting used to.

The second day was hell since there was no Haseul helping her out. Pro-tip, don't send six-year-olds to the corner unless you want havoc to ensue. Like, seriously, the entire kindergarten class will revolt. She tried following one of the lesson plans but she only needed to read a paragraph to decide they'd just have playtime the entire day. Haseul and Jiwoo yelled at Jinsoul for that one when she recounted her war stories in the teacher's lounge. Jinsoul personally thought it was a great idea, but apparently it's necessary to learn in kindergarten too. Eventually, the raven-haired woman would learn that reading one of those compact books in the 'library' (the smallest library Jinsoul's ever seen) could quite frankly calm a hurricane. She could pick up one of those babies, and they're all at her feet waiting so patiently, even Yeojin, Jinsoul almost forgot she terrorizes aquatic animals for fun.

But even though they've made her life a living hell, she honestly thought she was beginning to warm up to them. Especially Chaewon and her band of misfits. Haseul sometimes let Jinsoul look after the blonde child in the mornings when she's busy printing sheet music or other music-teacher-like things. She's learned quite a lot about the small -- she still doesn't understand why she's blonde -- child. Her best friends include the notorious Yeojin and the indescribably frightening Hyejoo. Hyejoo is kind of a sweetheart when she isn't planning a murder, and Yeojin's chaos is endearing when you're not the adult in charge of her. Jinsoul also learned about Chaewon's mildly concerning fantasy about ruling the world. Haseul tells her she'll grow out of it.

"Would somebody like to tell me, with a raised hand, what is three plus four?" Jiwoo made her notecards on what to do in specific situations, like when the class is practicing addition, how Jinsoul should keep the kids engaged and listening. She told her to just ask a bunch of questions and then tell them you'll give candy to whoever gets the most correct. Jinsoul wasn't actually keeping count though, so this would backfire on her. She just needed to pick a favorite later. "Chaeyoung, go!"

"Seven!" The short-haired child called gleefully, showing the substitute her signature dimpled smile.

"Correct! But who can tell me what three times four is for extra points?" Jinsoul gave them a bit of that teacher-like inflection so she could sell the offer, wiggling her eyebrows playfully. The actress in her was enjoying this too much.

"Oh! Is it seven??" A loud familiar voice interrupted the lesson. It could only belong to none other than Kim Jiwoo.

"Probably but you didn't raise your hand, Ms. Kim." Jinsoul giggled in relief. Usually, when Jiwoo came to visit she gets ahead of herself and teaches the entire class an impromptu lesson on whatever subject it is they're doing. Since she teaches the older kids, like Haseul, she tends to have time between classes when they go to a life skill class.

"Sorry to interrupt but I couldn't part long from my babies," She started. Jinsoul sat down at her desk getting ready to listen to whatever tangent Jiwoo was going to go on. Jiwoo looked her way and gave her a pitiful look, probably sensing she was incredibly tired. Jinsoul, of course, was still getting used to the new job. "I can't stay too long today I've got a meeting with my supervisor during my prep, but I did want to introduce you to a new friend." Jiwoo beamed excitedly.

"A new addition to my harem!?!" Chaewon yelled, standing up from her desk abruptly. Jinsoul heard Yeojin and Hyejoo's stifled laughter and couldn't help but smile a bit.

"I'll have to ask Ms. Jo how you know what that means...Anyway, you can come out now!" She called from beyond the doorway. Shortly after a woman and her child appeared in the classroom. A wave of familiarity washed over Jinsoul so suddenly it caused her to choke on the very air she was breathing. A few of the children gave her judging looks as she struggled to regain her composure. A few mocking giggles could be heard coming from Yeojin but Jinsoul made sure to quiet them with a warning glare.

"Hi!!" The young girl greeted Jinsoul, making her way to her desk. "My name's Yerim, are you okay?" Yerim smiled endearingly.

"Yes...more or less. Nice to meet you Yerim, what brings you here?" Jinsoul attempted to focus her attention on the small girl, trying to stop her gaze from wandering off toward the woman she knew was still standing idly near the doorway.

"My mom says you're my new teacher, so does Aunt Jiwoo and Aunt Jiwoo is very smart. I mean so is my mom, you see, she's a brain doctor...so she's gotta have a big brain I guess," Yerim began."Anyway, my dad says I should go to a private school, like my big sister Hyunjin, but then my mom said she wants me to live a normal life and be around normal kids, I don't know what that means but they got into a big fight and-"

"Okay, that's enough of that Yerimie!" Jiwoo cut into Yerim's rambling, making the little girl pout adorably. "Why don't you go sit down with Chaewon! You remember her from New Year's last year, right?" Yerim nodded and sauntered off to sit at the empty desk next to the blonde-haired girl. The classroom got a bit too quiet and Jinsoul looked at Jiwoo expectantly, hoping she'd say something about how her favorite time's table was the tens time's table because it was the easiest after one or something similar.

"Jiwoo told me she wouldn't trust anybody else with Yerim more than you," Jinsoul jumped a little in surprise at the assumed doctor's voice, not expecting her to be the one to break the awkward silence. "I suppose if she trusts you that much I expect to get my daughter back in one piece, yeah?" The raven-haired substitute was still trying not to look in the woman's direction but her lips upturned into a grin at the familiar playful banter. 

"Tell that to the rest of the class..." Jinsoul grumbled under her breath before looking the doctor's way. "Yeah, of course, Lip." Jinsoul sent her a wink, her smile growing smug as a faint blush began painting the doctor's cheeks. Her face contorting into something that could only be described as confusion and then bashfulness and then somehow annoyance in seconds. She scoffed at the nickname but soon returned Jinsoul's smile.

"Good to see you, Jinsoul." The younger woman said before bidding her daughter and the rest of the class farewell, giving Jiwoo a quick hug then making her way to the exit. Jiwoo looked at Jinsoul questioningly as if to tell her they'd 'talk about this later', the older woman simply gave her a thumbs up and Jiwoo was on her way. Jinsoul was pretty sure she was late for that meeting.

"Okay, where were we? Oh yeah, Yerim is three times four, seven?"

"No..."

"Incorrect, oof rough start."

. . .

The rest of the day was pretty peaceful, Haseul had come in during playtime and taught the kids a song. Yerim integrated easily with Chaewon's friend group, it was kind of shocking since Yerim was so sweet and calm, and not terrifying, and wasn't a threat to aquatic ecosystems, and hopefully wasn't aspiring to be the Caesar of the modern world. But besides that, Jinsoul supposed it was nice to see Yerim making friends quickly. They practiced verbs and conjunctions and Jinsoul played some Schoolhouse Rock videos. When Jiwoo said Schoolhouse Rock she thought they'd be watching a Jack Black movie, the substitute was very disappointed, to say the least. 

Though Jinsoul was glad the day went without a hitch she couldn't shake her thoughts of Jungeun. Jungeun, someone she thought she'd never see again. She met her in the 8th grade when Jinsoul would peer-tutor underclassmen, where they bonded over bad grades and musical theatre, she would later become her closest confidant through highschool. They joined the drama club together and always got lead role, after lead role. Sometimes they'd be so good the club leader was forced to double cast them. The unstoppable duo promised each other they'd both move to the states together one day and start their careers as broadway superstars. Of course, that never happened, Jinsoul was accepted into college hours away from home and the two lost touch. Jungeun was a rather big part of Jinsoul's life, it was heartbreaking but eventually, she learned to cope. Now to have the wound ripped open again...it was a lot to process.

"Ms. Jung!" The strangely hoarse voice of Im Yeojin pulled Jinsoul out of her thoughts.

"Yes, Yeojin? Didn't I tell you if you had questions about the classwork, ask Yerim, she taught the whole class math a while ago including me-"

"Why would I ask you questions about the classwork? You can barely count backward'."

"Excuse me there were a lot of people looking at me, the pressure was too much." Jinsoul reasoned, a bit offended that a six-year-old had just called her an idiot.

"I just wanted to ask what was on your mind? Yeojin spoke with full sincerity, looking a little frustrated but equally as concerned. Jinsoul was taken aback. She parted her lips to say something but was left speechless. Yeojin only smiled a bit, the mischievous glint in her eyes slowly returning. "I was gonna ask Hyejoo to come over here and ask but we haven't taught her empathy yet."

"Um...that's nice of you actually," the teacher smiled catching on to whatever game Yeojin was playing. "What do you want Yeojin?"

"Answers, Ms. Jung, answers." Yeojin leaned forward placing her hands on the desk. "The kids by the dollhouse have been talking and-" her voice got quieter, Jinsoul moved in closer to hear her better. "They're saying you got beef..."

"I got beef-"

"Yeah, with Mrs. Kim." Yeojin finished smirking at her teacher.

"That's not true, sure I get mad that Sooyoung cancels our plans to hang out with Jiwoo but it's not like-"

"No!! Mrs. Kim." It clicked, she's been found out. Jinsoul looked over to the corner of the room where the dollhouse was located, there, Chaewon, Hyejoo, and now, Yerim wethere staring directly at her. Her eyes began to shake and Yeojin's smirk only got wider. "So it's true?"

"What do you know?" She asked in a low growl. These kids were smart, too smart.

"Yerim's mom totally left you in the dust to become a fancy surgeon and marry a rich C.E.O." Yeojin cackled and retreated toward her friends, clutching her stomach for air almost doubling over. Jinsoul scoffed, rolling her eyes feigning annoyance, though the broad smile on her face did nothing to sell the act

"That is not what happened!!"

"Sure sounds like it, Ms. Jung!"

. . .

Another day had ended and everyone had been picked up except Yerim. Jinsoul and the young girl waited in silence for about fifteen minutes until the teacher decided on letting her play something on her phone while she cleaned the classroom up a bit. Yerim didn't seem the slightest bit fazed that nobody had come to pick her up yet, so Jinsoul had assumed it was because her parents had worked long hours.

"Who's supposed to be picking you up, sweetie?" The teacher asked softly. Yerim looked up from Jinsoul's phone and gave her a weird look before smiling widely.

"Oh! My dad I think, my mom works late on Thursdays." Jinsoul hummed in response continuing to put the discarded toys and books in their respective places. As if right on cue the sound of running could be heard in the hallways and then, strangely, later a loud thud.

"Must be your dad!" Jinsoul laughed a bit concluding whoever had been in the hallways had slipped and fell, Yerim giggled cutely along with her.

"Jesus, Hyunjin when I said go get your sister before she thinks you forgot her I didn't say run and fall on your !" A new voice rang through the halls. Jinsoul looked over to Yerim perplexed, only to find the young girl smiling widely. Soon, an older girl with raven hair and features not unlike that of Yerim's had made her way chaotically into the classroom.

"HYUNJIN!"

"YERIM!" The six-year-old quickly rushed out of her desk to envelop her assumed sister in a giant bear hug. Jinsoul cooed at the interaction, setting down the last of the scattered books and toys into their correct spots and facing the two children.

"Heejin!" Another girl joined in as she entered the classroom, freezing a bit when she looked at the substitute leaning lazily (or to her cooly) on the wall. "Woah...h-hi!' She awkwardly spoke, her face beginning to color at an almost comical rate. Jinsoul waved back politely with a tight-lipped smile, feeling a smidge weirded out when the girl's stare didn't leave her. Yerim untangled herself from her sister's arms and ran into the self-proclaimed Heejin and hugged her as well.

"Are you kids here with Yerim's father, I can't let her go without an adult." Jinsoul scratched her nape sheepishly, feeling bad for ruining the moment. Hyunjin's face fell at the mention of her father.

"He's not here," Her words trembled at the end of the sentence, she cleared awkwardly before she straightened out her back and gave the teacher a determined look. "My mom's on her way, we kind of ran out of the car as soon as she pulled up..." Hyunjin chuckled softly, her strong persona diminishing drastically when she smiled.

"Hyunjin was at a soccer retreat thingie with Heejinie, I haven't seen them all week!" Yerim exclaimed, clinging on to Heejin's skirt. Both Heejin and Hyunjin wore the same uniforms. Hyunjin's looking a little more roughed up, with her tie loosened and blazer tied messily around her waist.

"Hyunjin, I know you miss your sister but you could've waited till I parked the car instead of jumping out while I was driving! You scared me half to death." Jungeun groaned as she entered the class."Oh hey, Soul!" Jinsoul blinked confused but shot her a grin anyway as she stood up properly."Sorry about the kids they're a little-"

"Rambunctious?" The older woman finished, waving away her apology. Jungeun smiled, the usual blush beginning to grace her features again.

"Yeah..." She breathed out. Hyunjin looked between Jinsoul and Jungeun several times, a glare settling on her features as she stared down the raven-haired teacher. 

"You know pretty teacher?" Heejin broke the silence, her voice cracking ever so slightly. 

"Yes Heejin, I know pretty teacher," Jungeun laughed shaking her head at Heejin's antics. "thanks for looking after Yerim, I'm sure she blurted out her father was supposed to pick her up, this whole affair was pretty impromptu."

"No problem!! Yerim is a sweetheart!" Jinsoul reassured her. "Yerim what's three times four?"

"Not seven!"

"Hmm, we'll have to work on her math though."

. . .

Les be Teachers + Sooyoung

YvesSaintLaurent: Who's up for drinks?

Fish: some of us have jobs, Sooyoung

YvesSaintLaurent: You were jobless like 4 days ago??

Fish: yes, Sooyoung. 4 days ago.

ChuuChuu: how about tomorrow night to celebrate Jinsoul's first week

ChuuChuu: and a reunion with her long lost best friend

AdultYeojin: what?

Fish: what?

YvesSaintLaurent: just because I don't work with yall I'm suddenly 'long lost'??

Fish: yes.

ChuuChuu: no, I'm talking about Jungeun

AdultYeojin: i was talking about my name-

Fish: it seems oddly fitting right?

AdultYeojin: NO

ChuuChuu: i'm inviting Jungeun anyway

YvesSaintLaurent: Who's Jungeun?

ChuuChuu: no one you should be jealous of

YvesSaintLaurent: Who says I'm jealous I just wanna know who she is??

ChuuChuu: i'm breaking up with you

YvesSaintLaurent: What??

AdultYeojin: this happens often or..?

Fish: every week, last time they broke up because Sooyoung keeps auto-capitalization on

AdultYeojin: seems fair

. . .

Incoming call: unknown number

"I swear, Seonghwa I lost your science notes years ago, I'm not going to waltz back into college to look for them. STOP CALLING ME!!" Jinsoul hung up the phone as quickly as she picked up, throwing it on her bed with a huff. To be fair she'd been the one who had written those notes for him when he went to the bathroom, so technically they were hers.

Incoming call: unknown number

"Seonghwa-"

"It's Jungeun..." The familiar melodic voice rung through the line. Jinsoul bit her lip trying to stop the large grin threatening to break out on her face at the sound. A feeling of nostalgia washing over the woman as she reminisced on the times the two would talk for hours on end. "Uh, soul? You there?"

"Y-yeah, just a little surprised that's all."

"Well, yeah, me too. Jiwoo gave me your number and told me to call you, saying you had something to ask me." Jinsoul scoffed rolling her eyes.

"Did she now?" Jinsoul muttered under her breath. "Tomorrow Jiwoo and I were going out for drinks with some friends, we were wondering if you'd like to join."

"Oh sounds good, who's coming?"

"Jiwoo's girlfriend-"

"Jiwoo has a girlfriend?"

"She probably hasn't told you because they break up every week, the timing probably wasn't right..." Jinsoul joked, Jungeun giggled quietly in response waiting for the older woman to continue. "Yeah, just her and another teacher from school."

"I'll have to see if I can leave Hyunjin and Yerim at Vivi's place then." She spoke in a whisper almost like she didn't want anybody to hear her. It was quiet again but neither of the two said goodbye or hung up the call.

"You're married?" Jinsoul blurted out hoping to fill the silence."To a guy?"

"Uhm yeah, why'd you say it like that?" Jungeun laughed nervously.

"Sorry, it's just that you're the only straight friend I have now." That was a lie, Jinsoul had no idea whether Haseul was straight but she looked at Minju's mom Eunbi way too closely for her to believe that. Either way, she was just trying to keep the conversation going. Jungeun's nervous laughter continued, sounding very forced and incredibly frightening.

"Jesus, are you okay? Is there a serial killer in the room? Jiwoo has a black belt I can call her-"

"What? No, no. I'm fine." Jungeun assured, a long silence settling in before she explained herself. "I think I'm just a little awkward?"

"Awkward?"

"Yes, awkward."

"Everyone called you Kim Lip in Highschool cause you had so much sass and attitude and now you're awkward." Jinsoul teased hoping to clear the tension.

"Jinsoul, it's been 14 years, sometimes things change." Jungeun snapped. Once again surprised by the younger woman's behavior, Jinsoul stayed quiet. A long sigh escaped Jungeun. "Sorry, I'm really stressed right now..."

"It's okay..." Jinsoul mumbled just loud enough for the other to hear.

"Yerim -- uh, she says that she met the president today. She said it was a girl named Chaewon?" Jungeun spoke again, attempting to lift the awkward atmosphere.

"Oh yeah! Chaewon is -- she's a really strange kid...you only meet a miniature Joseph Stalin once right?"

"What?"

"It's a long story."

"Oh?... Well, thank you by the way." The abrupt sign of gratitude surprised the older woman though, she hummed in acknowledgment anyway. It was getting quite late and Jinsoul was starting to feel guilty for keeping the busy woman up.

"Listen, I gotta go, I've got work tomorrow and so do you," Jinsoul began. "It was nice talking to you, we'll catch up later, alright?"

"Yeah! I-I should go, it was nice talking to you too, Jinsoul!"

. . .

Fish: Ms. Kim we've got beef now.

ChuuChuu: Jinsoul this is no time to invite me over for dinner it's 10 and you've got work tomorrow

YvesSaintLaurent: YOU TRYNA STEAL MY GIRL JUNG???

FIsh: what even-

AdultYeojin: can we talk about more pressing matters like my name or why Jinsoul is teaching her kids 3 x 4 is 7

ChuuChuu: it's not?

Fish: yes it is don't listen to her

AdultYeojin: eye-

AdultYeojin: OKAY BUT MY NAME???

(Fish and 3 others have left chat)

. . .

yeaah boii so since everyone has been introduced from now on each chapter will focus on a specific person's storyline and will be in said persons povI'll probably make the next chapter a Jungeun pov. But yeah you'll get to see a lot more of Vivi next chapter for sure I feel like I did her wrong this chapter lmao. I did a little gc format today cos I'm uninspired but wanted to make this chapter a bit longer than the first. Like always hope you enjoyed reading and have a safe coronacation.