What to do between dinner and bedtime

Shelter in Place

Doyeon and Yoojung sat on the Doyeon's bed talking, enjoying the fact that both of their roommates were out of the room, so they had a rare moment of privacy.

"I feel bad for Elly," Yoojung said.

"For Elly?" Doyeon looked at her skeptically.

Yoojung nodded. "We're together. Lua and Rina are together. Sei and Lucy are together. Elly's all by herself."

"And what are you suggesting?"

Yoojung grabbed Doyeon's arm and wrapped it around herself. "I wish we could fix Elly up with someone. She was so happy when she was with Rina, but now that's not a possibility. If only there was someone."

Doyeon rolled her eyes. "We're locked in our apartment - did you forget about that? Even if we could think of someone to try to fix Elly up with, we couldn't get the two of them together."

"If only there was someone else in the dorm we could hook Elly up with," Yoojung said, as she leaned back against Doyeon.

Doyeon sat up straight, dislodging Yoojung. "You're talking about Suyeon. That's never going to work and you know that and we're not even going to try."

'Why wouldn't it work?" Yoojung asked, putting on her most innocent face.

"Because," Doyeon said. When that didn't satisfy Yoojung, she elaborated: "Because Suyeon has made it abundantly clear that her first loyalty is to Weki Meki. She thinks dating is a bad idea, and she thinks dating within the band is a particularly bad idea."

Yoojung scoffed. "That's just what she says," she said, "but her actions tell a different story. Haven't you see the wistful way she looks at the couples around the dorm? She wants someone, she just doesn't know how to go about it, especially in light of what she's said in the past."

Doyeon laughed. "I think you're delusional. I think that just because things went right when you tried playing Cupid for Sei and Lucy, the power has gone straight to your head and now you think you can do anything where romance is concerned."

Yoojung joined in Doyeon's laughter, then stopped suddenly her face growing serious. "Maybe I can do anything where romance is concerned. You ever think of that, Miss Doubter?"

Doyeon pulled Yoojung in for a hug. "As adorable as I think you are, I think you're wrong here. This isn't some second-rate fanfic where we all end up paired off. This is real life, where Suyeon has already said she's not interested, and even if she was, I don't think Elly would be a good match for her."

"Why not?" Yoojung asked. "I think they'd be perfect. They're the two oldest members of the band. They're both superior-serious about Weki Meki. Haven't you noticed how Elly steps in as leader whenever Suyeon can't? It's practically like they're one person, sometimes."

"That doesn't necessarily make it better," Doyeon said. "I mean, what if Suyeon's not her own type?"

"Of course she is!" Yoojung protested. "She needs someone who's a lot like her and who's willing to let their relationship take a back seat to the band. I mean, can you imagine the mess it would create if, for example, Sei and Suyeon had gotten together?"

Doyeon looked blankly at her, so Yoojung went on "Because Sei needs someone who adores her. Someone who spends all their time on her. Suyeon could never supply the kind of attention that Sei needs."

Doyeon shook her head. "I think you're misreading things - I don't think Sei is high maintenance."

Now it was Yoojung's turn to roll her eyes. "I never said Sei was high maintenance. Rina's high maintenance. Sei just needs a lot of attention. There's a difference. Sheesh. If you're this clueless about relationships, it's a good thing I asked you out, because apparently I'd still be waiting if I had to wait for you to figure it out."

Doyeon's eyes grew wide. "Now wait a second! The way I remember, I was the one who asked you out."

Yoojung rolled her eyes again. "Of course, you think it was your idea - I chased you until you caught me."

"I- you- what?" Doyeon confusion was evident on her face. "Regardless, I don't think you're going to be able to get Suyeon and Elly together. I just don't see it working."

"Just you wait and see," Yoojung said with a grin.

 


 

Sei finished washing the dishes and made her way down the hall to Lucy and Rina's room. Rina, she already knew, was out in the common room with Lua, which meant Sei had a chance for some all-too-rare alone time with Lucy. When she got to Lucy's room, she found Lucy sitting on her bed drawing. "Hey there," she called out, 'You up for some company?"

Lucy looked at her, a wide smile on her face. "With you? Anytime!"

She put her sketchbook down on her bedside table, then held her arms out to Sei, who promptly ran across the room and jumped into her arms, bowling her over. Lucy laughed. "You're so excited, it's like you haven't seen me in forever!"

Sei laughed, enjoying the feel of Lucy in her arms. "Well, it feels like forever since we've had a chance to have any time alone. I don't know how Doyeon and Yoojung manage, because they've got two roommates to deal with."

Lucy joined in Sei's laughter. "We could become like Rina and Lua, if you prefer."

"What, and kiss anytime, anywhere, regardless of who's around?" Sei made a distasteful face. "If that works for them, whatever, but that's not my style."

Lucy reached out and Sei's hair. "Mine either. I just wanted to see what you said about it."

"But speaking of our PDA champtions," Sei said, "Lua told me that they're going to be bingle-watching the last four episodes of Radio Romance tonight."

Lucy apparently failed to see the connection, as evidenced by the confusion on her face. "And you want us to go join them?"

Sei shook her head. "I was thinking that with them all tied up in the show, we could have almost four hours alone."

"Yeah," Lucy said with a nod, not entirely sure where Sei was going with this."

"Well," Sei said quietly, "I was thinking that this could be the night that I give you your first kiss, if you wanted it to be."

Lucy reached up and brushes Sei's bangs to the side. She nervously chewed on the bottom lip. "I think I want that," she said quietly, "but you've got to promise not to laugh at me."

Sei looked at her, confused. "Why would I laugh at you?"

"Because," Lucy said, "it's my first time kissing a girl. What if I'm not good at it? What if I'm a bad kisser? What if I kiss funny? What if-"

Sei stopped her. "I would never laught at you. And besides, it's my first time kissing you. Do you think I'm not nervous?"

Lucy waved dismissively. "But you've kissed girls before."

"But none of them were you," Sei said. "None of them I've felt about them the way I feel about you."

Lucy blushed. "But what if you get angry at me?"

Sei looked confused. "Why would I get angry at you?"

Lucy took a deep breath, then let it out slowly. "What if we start to kiss, and I decide I'm not ready, and I say I want to stop? Wouldn't you get angry about that?"

Sei clasped Lucy's hand in hers. "You're always free to change your yes to a no - that's how consent works. And I promise that if you do, I'll stop, and I won't be angry at you."

Lucy thought about this for a long moment. "I think I want to. Can you close the door first? I don't want to take a chance on anyone walking in on us."

"Sure." Sei got up and closed the door. When she turned around, she saw that Lucy had sat up and was sitting on the edges of the bed. Sei sat down next to her and put her arm around Lucy's shoulders. They stared into each others' eyes for a long moment, then Sei finally decided it was time. Swallowing nervously, she leaned forward and touched her lips to Lucy. Her lips were so soft - softer than Sei had ever dreams lips could be. After that brief kiss, she leaned back. "Do you want more?"

Staring intently into Sei's eyes, Lucy nodded. Sei leaned in again, and again their lips touched. This time Lucy was prepared, and returned Sei's kisses. This time it was Lucy who disengaged. "I know there's more to kissing than just this," she said, "and I want to learn, but for now I'm enjoying kissing you just like this. Can we keep doing this?"

Sei nodded. "Of course. I want you to enjoy your first kiss."

Lucy nodded. "I am. It's just like I imagined it." She leaned in and kissed Sei. After several minutes of exchanging gently kisses, Lucy pulled back and said "Close your eyes. I want to try something." Sei closed her eyes, and Lucy leaned in and kissed her again. After kissing her several times, Lucy captured Sei's bottom lip between her teeth and nibbled on it gently. Sei moaned quietly, causing Lucy to instantly release her lip and pull back. "I'm sorry. Did I hurt you? It was just something I'd read about that I wanted to try."

Sei smiled at Lucy. "You didn't hurt me. I was because it felt good."

"Oh." Lucy blushed. "I guess I've got a lot to learn."

Sei reached up and the side of Lucy's face. "I think we both do. I'm looking forward to leaning with you."

Lucy closed her eyes and leaned in for another kiss.

 

 


 

Suyeon lay on her bed, playing a number game on her phone. From the common room she could hear the sound of the TV, and when it got quiet, she could hear the sounds of Lua and Rina making out. She imagined Sei and Lucy down in Lucy's room, doing the same thing. And Doyeon and Yoojung in their room. It seemed like everyone was getting kissed but her. She looked across the room at Elly, who was doing something on her phone. 

"Don't be ridiculous, Suyeon," she told herself. "You and Elly? Really? Just because you're the only two people in the apartment not coupled up? Besides, you had your chance with Sei and you blew it."

Suddenly Elly spoke up. "Hey Suyeon, you want to do something bad?"

Startled, Suyeon dropped her phone. She could feel herself blushing as she turned toward Elly. "What did you have in mind?" she asked, trying to keep her voice calmer than she actually felt.

"Well," Elly said, leaning forward conpiratorially, "in the kitchen we've got a can of orange juice concentrate and a can of sweetened condensed milk. We could mix those with some frozen yogurt and make a Dreamsicle milkshake."

Suyeon laughed quietly. "And that would be bad?"

Elly nodded. "Think about how many calories are in that mixture! And if we don't tell the others what we're doing, it can be all ours."

Suyeon considered it for a moment. It would certainly take her mind off all the kissing she wasn't getting. "Let's do it!" she said.

Moving quietly, she and Elly made her way to the kitchen. "Of course," Suyeon thought, "we could have walked through with a marching band and Rina and Lua wouldn't have noticed." Taking down two large glasses from the cabinet, they put some frozen yogurt in each one, then half of the can of sweetened condensed milk in each one, then half the can of orange juice concentration in each one. Grabbing spoons, they stirred until all the ingredients were mixed, then each took a large sip of their shake.

"That's delicious!" Suyeon said. "Where did you learn to make that?"

Elly laughed. "I used to have a real sweet tooth, so my mom made up this recipe and I could have one every week if I met my target weight. It was enough to keep me away from sweets the rest of the week and to keep me on my exercise routine."

Suyeon took another sip. "Well, it's really good. Almost better than ."

Elly winked at her. "I know, right? Almost."