Just starting out

Shelter in Place

Sei peeked into Lucy and Rina's room. Seeing that Lucy was alone, sitting on her bed putting away her drawing supplies, she knocked on the doorframe. "Hey! Got a second before we go play mahjong?"

Lucy turned around and smiled at Sei. "Sure! Come on in."

Sei came in and sat down on the edge of Lucy's bed.

"I've got something I want to ask you-" They started laughing as they both said it at once!

"You first,' Sei said.

Lucy shook her head. "Oh no, unnies go first." She clasped her hands in her lap and made a show of waiting for Sei to ask her question.

"Oh. . ." Sei hadn't expected this. "Okay. . ." She took a deep breath, paused for a moment to decide exactly how she wanted to ask it, and finally decided that the direct way was best: "I like you, like really like you, and I wanted to know if you'd be my girlfriend."

Lucy got a mischievous glint in her eyes. She smiled at Sei and she quietly said. "That wasn't a question. You said you wanted to ask me a question."

Sei blinked as she processed what Lucy had just said. Finally, she smiled, reached out and took Lucy's hands in her, and said "Lucy, will you be my girlfriend?"

Lucy threw her arms around Sei's neck and hugged her tightly. "Yes, of course I will, you silly girl! I've been waiting for you to ask! It got so bad last night that I couldn't sleep!" She sat back and held Sei's hand. "I was about to ask you, because Suyeon said if you wouldn't ask me then the only way to find out for sure was to ask you-"

"You talked to Suyeon about me?" Sei asked incredulously.

Lucy nodded. "Apparently I woke her up when I was making tea, and she wouldn't let me go until I told her what was wrong. So I told her, and she said the only way I could know for sure was to ask you. Then she said she wouldn't advise it, and that she'd be there for me if I got my heart broken."

Sei's jaw dropped. So after everything she had said the other day about not being upset if Sei was dating someone else, here she was going around behind Sei's back and trying to sabotage her! "Why did she say she advised against you dating me?"

Lucy shrugged. "She said in-band relationships almost never work out, and I pointed out Doyeon and Yoojung, and she said that most in-band relationships aren't like them."

Sei was happy that Lucy had agreed to be her girlfriend, but at the same time she was furious at Suyeon. How could Suyeon do that to her?

"Hey! Are you okay?" Lucy looked concerned. She reached out and took Sei's hand. "Did I say something wrong?"

Sei shook her head. "No, no, not at all. I just can't believe Suyeon would say that about me." She looked down at Lucy's hand, clasped in hers, then into Lucy's eyes. "Does she think so little of me, to think I'd hurt you like that?"

Lucy leaned in toward Sei. "Oh, no, it's not like that at all - I didn't tell her who I was interested in, just that it was someone in the band."

Sei nodded, taking this in. She tried to calm down, but it was hard to get rid ofthat anger now that she'd she discovered she didn't need it. "Oh. Oh! That's different! I thought Suyeon and I were about to have problems."

Lucy looked down at Sei. She pulled her in for a hug. "Nope, no problems. Just happiness that you finally asked me. I thought for sure you'd ask me when I told you about how I imagined my first kiss - I mean, I did everything but call you by name in that story!"

Sei laughed. "Lua fussed at me the whole time she was t my bangs! I hadn't figured it out before then, but once she explained me I saw it."

"So why didn't you ask me right away?" Lucy asked. 'Why'd you wait a couple of days?"

Sei shrugged. "I don't know. I almost asked you while you were cooking last night, but you were so wrapped up in your cooking, I didn't want to distract you. Plus, I had some things I needed to get right inside my head."

Lucy looked concerned. "It was about Suyeon, wasn't it? I know you used to have a crush on her, and I didn't know if you still did, so that's part of why I was hesitant to ask you. I didn't want you to be disappointed, if you were interested in one of our seniors and then you ended up dating me. . ."

Sei jerked her head up. She looked into Lucy's eyes. "Oh, no! Never! No one could be disappointed to be dating you!"

Lucy lowered her eyes. She smiled and blushed. "That's sweet of you to say-"

"It's true!" Sei said fiercely.

Just then Yoojung stuck her head around the edge of the doorframe. "Hey! You two ready for mah- nevermind. I'll come back later."

Lucy looked up at Yoojung. "Just give us a couple of minutes," she said. Yoojung nodded and left the room.

Lucy leaned forward to kiss Sei, who leaned back in order to stay just out of reach. "Oh no," Sei said. "You didn't say your first kiss was all in a rush because you were in a hurry to go play mahjong. You said we kissed for a long time after that first kiss."

Lucy raised her eyebrows. "You remembered all that?"

Sei nodded. "Every word of it."

Lucy grabbed Sei and hugged her. "You're so sweet!" She let go of Sei and looked at her. "We'd better be going. Yoojung and Elly will be getting impatient waiting for us. No point in having them pissed off at us."

Sei nodded. "Good point. So. . . how do you want to tell them about us? Do you want to make a big announcement or just wait and let them figure it out or what?"

Lucy thought for a moment. "New relationship parties aren't really a thing, and I'm not sure that all of our bandmates will be happy for us, so we might at well just wait and let them figure it out."

Sei nodded. "Good idea. I don't think it will be hard to figure out, though, when we're all heart-eyes for each other."

Lucy laughed. "Good point!" She took Sei's hand and led her toward the door. "Now let's go play some mahjong!"

 


 

Suyeon was lying in her bed, playing a game on her phone when Elly came in and flopped down on her bed.

"So. . . " Elly said, "Lucy and Sei are apparently dating now. Just thought you'd want to know."

Startled, Suyeon rolled over toward her. "Why would I want to know?"

Elly shrugged. "You always want to know everything that's going on in Weki Meki, so I just figured you'd want to know this."

Suyeon rolled back over and restarted her game. Apparently Elly's remarks were perfectly innocent.

"Plus there's the fact that Sei was interested in you for quite a while," Elly went on, causing Suyeon's breath to catch in , "but just so you know, that ship has sailed."

Suyeon nodded, not quite trusting her voice yet. After a couple of minutes, she said "Well, I hope they're happy. And if they're not, I hope they don't cause any drama."

"Lucy? Drama?" Elly scoffed. One of Lucy's nicknames was "drama magnet" - if there was drama going on anywhere in the group, Lucy would in the middle of it.

Suyeon laughed. "Yeah, I guess that's too much to hope for." She checked the time on her phone before turning it off and sticking it in her pocket before sitting up. "I'm going to see if Doyeon needs any help with dinner tonight."

Elly watched Suyeon walk out of the room, an impish grin on her face. "Suyeon think's she's fooling everyone," she thought, "but I know her too well. She liked knowing that Sei was interested in her, even if she never was going to do anything about it. It was like an ego trip or something." She started checking her Insta feed, waiting for the drama that she was sure was going to happen.

 

 


 

Suyeon walked into the kitchen, where Doyeon was leaning against the counter, making out with Yoojung. They were usually able to keep their public displays of affection to a minimum, but then, they weren't usually trapped in the apartment like this. Sharing a room with Sei and Lua can't be easy for them. Suyeon quietly backed out of the kitchen. Seeing Lua and Rina sitting on the couch watching the news, she went and sat by them.

"Oh, Hi Suyeon," Rina said. "Yeah, I guess we should've warned you - dinner's gonna be a little late today."

Suyeon chuckled. 'You walked in on that too, huh?"

Rina nodded.

"They've only been at it for about 15 minutes," Lua said, "I was planning to give them another 15 minutes before I went in and loudly poured myself a glass of juice."

Suyeon nodded and leaned back, glad that someone else would be dealing with this particular situation. "Anything interesting on the news?" she asked.

Lua snorted. "If by 'interesting' you mean 'something other than caronavirus', then no. If you mean interesting like 'did you hear the latest incredibly stupid thing the American president said?' then there's the part where he now says he was being sarcastic yesterday when he told people to inject themselves with disinfectant."

"He what? Inject themselves?" Suyeon was stunned.

Lua nodded. "Didn't you hear about that? It was all over the news last night. People should inject disinfectant to cure the coronavirus!"

"And they should shine sunlight inside their bodies, somehow," Rina piped up.

"I didn't see that in the paper," Suyeon said, "and I think I was better off for it. People weren't really listening to him, were they?"

"You'd like to think not," Rina said, "but the sudden rush of people to American emergency rooms with poisoning after he made the announcement would seem to say otherwise."

Suyeon shook her head. "That stupid man!" She was glad that the Korean response to COVID-19 had been so well managed, even if it did mean they were all confined to their dorm until who knows when.  

Just then Lucy and Sei came in. Suyeon couldn't help but notice they were holding hands. "Don't go there, Suyeon," she thought. "You had your chance with Sei and you blew it." Looking around the room, she noticed the approving smile that Lua was giving Sei and Lucy. So apparently Lua knew this was going to be happening, whether because she played matchmaker or just because she approved of the match. Either way- "Don't be mean, Suyeon," she told herself, "Lua had no way of knowing she was breaking up you and Sei, if that even was what she did." She shook her head to clear it.

Lua noticed Suyeon shaking her head suddenly. "Unnie, are you okay?" she asked.

Suyeon nodded. "Yeah, I just. . . feeling a little lightheaded. Gonna need dinner soon. Didn't you want to go get some juice?"

"Sure thing," Lua said, "and I'll get one for you too. If you pass out because you haven't been eating well, Manager-nim's gonna make you go to the hospital. I'll be right back."

Lua jumped up and ran into the kitchen. Suyeon could hear her noisily getting the glasses out of the cabinet, then pouring the juice. "Oh. My. Look. At. The. Time," Lua said, in the flattest, most expressionless voice that Suyeon could possibly imagine. When she came back in the common room with the two glasses of juice, though, she had the biggest grin on her face. She handed one of the glasses of juice to Suyeon, then sat back down next to Rina and took a sip of her juice.

"That was so epic!" she said as she started laughing. "If looks could kill, I would be so dead right now!" She gestured to Suyeon. "Drink your juice. Don't make me have died for nothing!"