Epilogue

Shelter in Place

After seeming like it would never arrive, the last day of quarantine finally arrived. Things still weren't back to normal - they had to wear a mask when they went out, there was almost no one in the streets, and no Ki-Lings came out to see them when they went to events. Events were really weird - they were all filmed without an audience, and fansigns were done over the computer. It was a big deal to get to leave the apartment to go do a radio interview!

"What did you do during the quarantine?" the DJ asked.

"Probably about the same as everyone else," Doyeon responded, "did some reading, did some drawing, played a lot of mahjong and go-stop, watched too much TV. . ."

"I'm just really glad we had each other," Elly chimed in. "I feel bad for our Ki-Lings who had to quarantine by themselves! Stay strong, Ki-Lings! Fighting!"

"Was there anyone you missed getting to see during your quarantine?" the DJ asked.

"Of course, we missed getting to see our Ki-Lings," Yoojung answered, "plus we missed seeing our families."

The DJ leaned toward the mike and her voice took on a conspiratorial tone. "So there aren't any special guys you missed during quarantine?"

"Well, we're still under a dating ban," Doyeon said, "so we're not supposed to be thinking about that. We just try to work hard so we can put on a good show for our Ki-Lings."

The producer signalled to the DJ that it was time to wrap up the interview and go to commercial. 

"Well, there you have it, folks," the DJ said, "Weki Meki! They really are as sweet in person as they look on TV. Thank you for coming to talk with us, and after these messages, we'll be back with another 30 minutes of continuous music!" 

The producer hit the button that killed all of their microphones. The members of Weki Meki stood up to go. They all bowed to the DJ. 

"Thank you for having us on your show," Suyeon said. "You took very good care of us."

"I'm always happy to have you on," the DJ said. "I look forward to seeing you all at your next comeback!"

As they were filing out of the studio, the DJ got Suyeon's attention. "Suyeon-sshi," she said, "let me see your phone for a minute."

Unsure where this was going, Suyeon handed over her phone. The DJ entered her phone number, then texted her own phone so that she'd have Suyeon's number. "I'd like to hear from you before your next comeback. Keep in touch, okay?" She smiled and winked.

Elly, who had seen this whole exchange, couldn't resist teasing Suyeon about it as they walked out to the van. "Suyeon's got an admirer!" she said in a sing-song voice.

"What?" Suyeon seemed surprised by this idea. "You think so?"

Elly rolled her eyes at their leader's obliviousness. "She made sure you had her number. She made sure she had your number. She told you to keep in touch. She smiled and winked at you! If she wasn't hitting on you, then I've never seen anyone getting hit on!"

"Oh." Suyeon walked on in silence for a minute, then a smile gradually spread over her face. "That's nice," she said. "That's really nice."

Elly elbowed Suyeon to get her attention. "So? Are you going to text her?"

Suyeon kept smiling as she stared off into the distance. "Yeah," she finally said, turning to look at Elly. "Yeah, I think I am."

Elly smiled at her. "What happened to 'Suyeon can't date anyone because she's got to be all about Weki Meki'?"

Suyeon shrugged. "I figured, if it works for everyone else, why not me?"

Elly's smile got bigger. "Good for you, Suyeon! I hope you're happy."

"I think I will be," Suyeon said, a dreamy look on her face. "No matter what happens, I think I will be."