Crossfire

Shelter in Place

Suyeon and Elly were lying on the couch, their arms around each other, watching a historical drama movie. 

"I really don't see why you get into these," Suyeon said.

"How could you not get into them?" Elly asked. "The costumes, the intrigues, the romances. . ."

"I suppose," Suyeon said. "I just prefer contemporary dramas. They're more realistic."

"If I wanted realism," Elly said, "I'd read the newspaper. I watch movies because I want to escape."

Just then the movie ended. Elly grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. In the sudden silence, they heard the sounds of yelling coming from the big bedroom.

"We'd better go see what's up," Suyeon said. She got up off the couch and headed down the hall. As they got closer to the door, they could hear the voices better. They still couldn't make out what they were saying, but they could tell it was Doyeon and Yoojung.

Elly put her hand on Suyeon's shoulder. "Doyeon and Yoojung?" she asked.

Suyeon nodded. She took another step forward and opened the door. Doyeon and Yoojung instantly stopped yelling. They were standing on opposite sides of the room, apparently throwing pillows at each other, based on all the pillows scattered around the room.

"What's going on?" Suyeon asked.

"Oh, you know," Yoojung tried playing it cool, "we were just having a disagreement, you know?"

"A disagreement?" Suyeon asked. "I looks more like you were rioting in here."

"It's nothing," Doyeon said, taking a step toward Yoojung.

"We were just coming to thank you for the blind date," Elly said, stepping forward and taking Suyeon's hand, "and we find you two fighting like this?"

"We're sorry," Yoojung said. Then her face brightened up. "But the blind date worked?"

Suyeon smiled and held up Elly's hand. "Apparently so."

"That's great!" Yoojung was jumping and down and clapping.

"And then we come in here and find you two fighting!" Suyeon scowled and glared, first at Yoojung, then at Doyeon.

"We're sorry, unnie," Doyeon said. "We didn't mean to cause drama."

"Well, you did," Suyeon said. "Elly and I are going to bed now. When we get up in the morning, you two need to have gotten back together or else broken up, but either way we want the drama over and this room cleaned up."

"Yes unnie," Doyeon and Yoojung said as one.

Suyeon and Elly left and went back to their room. 

"Well, that worked better than I expected," Elly said. "I had no idea it would be so easy to get the maknaes to stop meddling in our love lives."

"Yeah," Suyeon said distantly. She was standing in the middle of the room, rubbing one hand against the other. She turned to face Elly. "Your hands are so soft," she said.

Elly looked around. "It's just the two of us in here. You don't have to keep up the fake."

Suyeon stopped for a moment, then laughed briefly. "No, I was just going to ask what kind of hand lotion you use."

Elly picked up the tube of lotion from her nightstand. "It's this," she said. She tossed the tube to Suyeon. "You can keep that," she added, "I've got another tube in my closet."

"Thanks!" Suyeon said. She squirted some of the lotion onto her hands and started rubbing it in.

Elly laughed. "Yeah, if we start using the same cosmetics, the maknaes will definitely think we're a couple."

 


 

Lua yawned. "It's been a long day," she said. 'I want to go to bed."

They all listened for a moment.

"I don't hear any fighting next door," Rina said.

Lua leaned over and kissed Rina. "Then I'm heading to bed."

Sei turned to Lucy. "I'd better be heading to bed too." Before she had a chance to kiss Lucy, Lucy had grabbed her and kissed her.

"Well," Sei said, "if you're trying to convince me to stay here instead, you're doing a pretty good job."

Lucy laughed. "No, I know you need your sleep. I'm just still trying to get used to the fact that you're my girlfriend now and I can kiss you practically anytime."

Sei yawned, discreetly covering with her hand. "Well, right now you can kiss me tomorrow, because I've definitely got to get to bed." With another quick kiss, she was on her way.

When Sei got back to her bedroom, she saw that Doyeon was lying under her blanket, apparently asleep, and Yoojung was sitting on the edge of her bed. Lua was sitting next to Yoojung with her arm around her shoulders. Yoojung looked up at Sei, her face streaked with tears.

"She broke up with me," Yoojung said. "Just like that, she broke up with me. And the stupid part is, I don't even need to try to set up another blind date for the unnies because they got together. But- but Doyeon broke up with me. She said I'm irresponsible and immature and-" Yoojung collapsed against Lua, initating another round of weeping.

Sei came and sat down on Yoojung's other side, patting her shoulder awkwardly. "I'm sorry, Yoojung," she said. "Maybe tomorrow you'll be able to patch things up with her."

Yoojung sniffled and shook her head. "The things she said, and the things I said, I don't know if we can ever patch things up."

"Well, you've gotta try," Lua said. "You and Doyeon have been one of the few constants in Weki Meki. Maybe you can-"

Whatever Lua was about to suggest was drowned out by a snore from Yoojung.

"And just like that, she falls asleep," Lua said with a smile.

Sei rubbed Yoojung's shoulder. "She was probably wiped out. They were fighting for. . . what? Two hours?"

"Closer to three," Lua said with a nod. "Here, help me out with her."

Working together, Sei and Lua got Yoojung into her bed and covered with her duvet. Then they quietly got ready for bed themselves, the whole time talking quietly about the new changes around the apartment.

"So now Suyeon and Elly are together, but Yoojung and Doyeon are split up," Sei said, shaking her head.

"I know, right?" Lua agreed. "I never would have guessed either one of those. Doyeon and Yoojung have always been so devoted to each other it seemed like nothing could possibly split them up, and Suyeon's always been so devoted to Weki Meki it seemed like nobody could connect with her."

A look of recognition crossed over Sei's face. "What if nobody did?" she asked.

Lua looked confused. 'What are you talking about. Yoojung said she and Elly got together."

Sei nodded. "Which is exactly what Suyeon and Elly would want her to think, if they were just faking a relationship so that we'll all stop trying to get them together."

"What? That's crazy!" Lua said, shaking her head. "They'd never do that."

"Wouldn't they?" Sei asked, her eyebrows raised dramatically. "This sounds exactly like the sort of thing Suyeon would do if it would prevent drama in the group."

"But why would Elly go along?" Lua asked. "Elly always liked it whenever there was drama, because she always hoped things would get bad enough that somehow Suyeon would no long be our leader and she could be our leader instead."

Sei nodded thoughtfully. "There is that," she said after a long pause. "How can we tell? And does it matter if we can tell?"

Lua shook her head. "Short of bugging their bedroom, there's really no way we can tell. All we can do is let them play their little games, and do whatever we can to help Doyeon and Yoojung."

"That is going to be the problem, isn't it?" Sei asked "What can we possibly do about them?"

"Absolutely no idea," Lua said, reaching up and turning out her light. "I'm hoping some ideas will present themselves tomorrow."

Sei reached up and turned off her lamp, then laid back under her duvet. She was tired and wanted to go to sleep, but she couldn't get her thoughts to slow down enough to let her. If only she could go back in time to six hours ago, when everything seemed so much simpler.

 


 

The next afternoon, everyone was still trying to dance around the fact that Doyeon and Yoojung had broken up. Sei and Lucy were back in Lucy's room. Yoojung, Suyeon, Elly, and Lua were playing mahjong. Rina was lying on the couch playing Kart Rider. And Doyeon was sitting on the end of the couch reading a fashion magazine. The sounds of Doyeon turning pages and the clicks of the mahjong tiles were the only sounds. Suddenly, Doyeon said "Here's something interesting: When you're fighting with someone, fight only about what you're fighting about."

Yoojung snorted. "What does that even mean? What else would you be fighting about?"

Doyeon rolled her eyes. "It means you confine the fight to whatever's wrong right then, not use a fight as an excuse to dredge up everything the person has ever done wrong."

Yoojung silently played a tile, then looked across at Doyeon. 

Doyeon sat silently for several moments, waiting to see if Yoojung had anything else to say. When it appeared not, she said "Well, I think it's a good idea." She tossed the magazine down and left, headed for her bedroom.

After a couple of more turns, Suyeon looked at Yoojung. "You're on the verge of crying," she said. "Go talk to her. Maybe you can work things out, or if not work them out, at least get them to a better place than where they are now."

Yoojung flipped all her tiles face down then leaned forward over the table, holding her head in her hands. "I just don't know what to do," she said. "I don't know what to say." She looked up at Suyeon, her face haunted. "I'm afraid I said things last night we can't come back from."

Suyeon reached over and took Yoojung's hand. "There's only one way to find out," Suyeon said. "Go talk to her. Besides, this quarantine won't last forever, and the Ki-Lings will be able to tell if there's something wrong between you and Doyeon."

Yoojung listened carefully to this, then started off into the distance. "Maybe I should just leave the group. Some of the Ki-Lings already think Doyeon and I are going to be leaving soon anyway."

Suyeon squeezed Yoojung's hand tighter. "That's your fear talking. That's not you. The Yoojung I know would never run away from a situation like this," Suyeon said.

Yoojung looked down at the table. When she finally did talk, her voice was barely audible. "That's because the Yoojung you knew always had Doyeon at her side."

Suyeon looked fiercely at Yoojung. "Then you need to go try to get her back. Or if you can't, at least to break up better."

Yoojung stood up and smoothed out the wrinkles in her shirt. "You're right. I can do this." She headed down the hallway to find Doyeon.

Elly turned to Suyeon. "You think she can do it?"

Suyeon shrugged. "Who knows? It sounds like Doyeon was leaving an opening to try to patch things up between them. We'll just have to wait and see what happens." She checked the time on her phone. "It can't really be that late! I've got to get started fixing dinner.

"I'll put up the mahjong tiles," Lua said.

Elly stood up. "Then I'll just get out of your way," she said. Lua couldn't help but notice that she stopped and gave Suyeon a kiss on her way out of the kitchen, and smiled slightly to herself.