The start of a plan

Shelter in Place

Yoojung came into the kitchen and started putting away the mahjong tiles. Elly busied herself with gathering all her ingredients and waiting for the table to be free. Once Yoojung had all the tiles put away, she called out to Elly, "Okay, the table's yours!"

"Thanks," Elly said. She put a cutting board down on the table and started slicing vegetables.

Yoojung picked up the mahjong case and headed out of the kitchen. In the doorway, she stopped and turned. "You know, Elly," she said, "I noticed you haven't dated anyone since you and Rina broke up." She held up her hands as if to fend off any interruptions from Elly. "Now I know you said that you broke up with her and that you were happier without her than you had been with her. But still, you know, you're my unnie and I want you to be happy."

Elly rolled her eyes and put down her knife. "What are you getting at, Yoojung? In case you haven't noticed, we're shut in here and the supply of single women is rather thin, bordering on non-existent."

"But you don't need a lot," Yoojung said. "You only need one if she's the right girl?"

Elly turned to face Yoojung. "Yoojung-ah, I see what you're doing, and I'm going to tell you right now it won't work."

"What?" Yoojung's face was a picture of innocence.

"You're trying to fix me up with Suyeon," Elly said, "and that's never going to happen."

Yoojung crossed the room to stand close to Elly. "But why not?" she asked. "You two would be perfect for each other. You're both so serious." She lowered her eyebrows and scowled to mime being serious. 'You're both totally into the business aspect of the band. Neither one of you would let your relationship drama - if you ever had any - affect the band. And I think you two would be so much happier with each other than you are alone. Not to mention-" Yoojung wiggled her eyebrows suggestively- "you already share a room."

Elly snorted. "Leave it to you to think of that aspect first," she said. She looked down at Yoojung, trying to assess how serious she was about this idea. "I'm not going to get any rest until I let you do something, am I?"

Yoojung shook her head.

Elly rolled her eyes. "Fine - set us up on a blind date, if she'll go for it, but after that, when we both say no, you drop this idea and leave it alone."

"Deal!" Yoojung exclaimed, as she turned and skipped out of the kitchen.

Elly picked up her knife and started chopping vegetables again. This crazy idea of Yoojung's should be good for a little entertainment, at least.

 


 

"Everything Sei told you was true," Suyeon said.

Lucy looked up from where she had her hands clasped in her lap. "So what do I do now?" she asked.

"That's for you to decide," Suyeon said.

"But what about you and Sei?" Lucy asked.

Suyeon waved dismissively. "'Me and Sei' is over - and was before she started dating you."

"But that's just it!" Lucy protested. "How can I date someone who'd be so mercentary about something like that?"

Suyeon shook her head. "I don't think she was being mercenary. When she broke up with me, she wasn't telling me anything she hadn't already told me dozens of times. But she finally reached a point where she just couldn't take it anymore."

"Like what?" Lucy asked.

"Like how I was never there for her when she needed me," Suyeon said sadly, "and how it only getting to act like my girlfriend a couple of minutes a day, and how she wanted someone she could date openly."

"It just doesn't make  any sense," Lucy said, shaking her head.

Suyeon knitted her brows. "What doesn't make sense?"

"She broke up with you to be with me," Lucy said, gesturing with her hands, "and when she and I start having problems, you're sitting here basically telling me to take her back."

Suyeon laughed. "Well, I guess if you put it like that, I does seem kind of weird." Her face grew serious as she went on. "But you're right, I do think you should take her back - she looked happy when she was with you. A lot happier than she had the last few months she was with me. No, me and Sei is definitely over, and I'd hate to be the reason that you two split up. Now if there's more you're not telling me, that's different, but based on what you've told me so far, I think your best option is to take her back."

Just then there was a knock on Suyeon's door.

"Hold that thought," Suyeon said. "I'll be right back." She got up and went to open the door. 

Lucy heard Sei's voice but couldn't make out what she was saying, then heard Suyeon say "Come on in, I definitely think you should talk about this-" Lucy whipped her head around just as Suyeon led Sei into the room- "but not with me."

Sei stopped suddenly, surprised to find Lucy there. "Oh, Lucy, I didn't know you were here talking to Suyeon," she managed to get out. "I'll come back later."

Suyeon grabbed Sei by the arm and kept her from leaving. "Oh no you don't. There are two people in this room who need to talk, and I'm not one of them," she said, pushing Sei toward the empty spot on the bed next to Lucy. "Now, Elly's busy fixing dinner, and I'm going to go see what's on TV, so you two have this room for about half an hour. I don't want you coming out until you've worked this out." And with that, Suyeon left and shut the door behind her.

Sei looked at Lucy. "Is it all right if I sit down?"

Lucy nodded. "You heard Suyeon. You've pretty much got to."

They both started to laugh, then the laughter died away.

"Lucy," Sei said. "I'm sorry I wasn't up front with you about everything. I certainly never meant to make you feel second best. I'm sorry." She looked down at her hands and began picking at a jagged piece of cuticle.

Lucy reached out and grabbed Sei's chin, lifting her head so that they were looking into each other's eyes. She sighed softly. "I don't know what to say," she said. "Part of me is still upset with you, and part of me wants to listen to Suyeon and take you back, if you even still want to date me, and I don't know which part to listen to you."

Sei's eye began to glisten. "Of course I still want to date you!" she said. "I don't know if that makes things easier or harder for you, but there it is." She reached up and took Lucy's hand, which Lucy made no attempt to reclaim.

Lucy nodded. "I suppose that does make it easier." She looked up, sighed, then looked back at Sei. "I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not, but this feels right, so here goes: I want to be your girlfriend, and I want you to be mine."

Sei leaped forward and wrapped her arms around Lucy's neck. "Yes! Absolutely, yes!" By the sound of her voice and the way she was shaking, Lucy could tell that Sei was crying. She wrapped Sei up in a hug and pulled her as close as she could. 

After several minutes, they'd regained their composure enough to leave Suyeon and Elly's room, even if they did both still have red eyes from crying so much. When they came out into the common room, Suyeon looked over at Lucy, who gave her a thumbs-up and reached out to take Sei's hand.

 


 

Rina was lying in her bed, tossing a stuff animal in the air and catching it, over and over. She stopped when she heard a knock at the door. "Come in," she called out. She looked over and saw Lua tentatively open the door and come in.

"Hey there," Lua said. "I know I'm not supposed to bother you while you're in here, but. . ."

Rina smiled and sat up. "Come on in, you big silly!"

Lua rushed into the room and sat down next to Rina, who immediately leaned forward and kissed her.

"How's your big project going?" Rina asked.

Lua shrugged. "I suppose it's going okay," she said. "Yoojung sort of took over everything. She says she'll need me for help later, and probably you as well, but for now she's got it under control."

"Ooh, that sounds mysterious!" Rina said. "Do you have any idea what she has planned?"

Lua shook her head. "Last I saw she was going into the kitchen to talk with Elly while Elly was cooking dinner."

Rina's eyes lit up. "Elly's cooking dinner tonight? She's such a good cook!"

Lua laughed. "Yes, she is, but that's hardly the point. The point is, Yoojung is trying to convince Elly to date Suyeon!"

Rina shook her head. "Do you really think this is going to work?"

"I don't know," Lua said with a shrug, "but I don't know what else we can do."

Just then, they heard Elly calling out from the kitchen: "Weki Meki! Dinner!"

"Yay!" Rina jumped up and rushed for the kitchen.

Lua laughed. "Well, I see where I rate in the grand scheme of things. She picked up Rina's stuffed animal from where it had fallen on the floor and then put it on the bed before heading for the kitchen. When she got to the kitchen, she saw that she was the last one to arrive. Elly was bustling around putting the finishing touches on dinner; everyone else was sitting at the table. 

"Oh Lua, you weren't here when I said before:" Elly began, "I put out name tags at each place because I didn't want the couples sitting next to each other and not talking to anyone else. So find your nametag and take your seat; dinner will be ready in just a moment.

Lua found her nametag at the end of one side of the table, next to Suyeon. There was a blank space for Elly next to Suyeon, then Yoojung. On the other side of the table it was Lucy across from Lua, then Doyeon, then Rina, then Sei.

"This should be interesting," Lua said.

"Well, we're all in here together all the time," Elly said as she start putting dishes on the table, "I figure if I deliberately shake up who's sitting next to who, it'll help keep things fresh.

"Good idea Elly," Lucy said. 

Lua couldn't help but notice that Elly's "keeping things fresh" had ended up with Elly and Suyeon sitting next to each other, with her and Yoojung on either side of them. "I think I see what she's up to," Lua thought. As they started eating, she worked on keeping Lucy and Doyeon engaged in conversation, hoping that Yoojung was doing the same with Rina and Sei. That would pretty much force Elly and Suyeon to talk to each other.

"Apparently Yoojung got Elly on board with this, somehow," Lua thought. "Now I just have to wait and see what's next in her plan."