Of treaties and marriages

Of fire and wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twenty years – it has exactly been twenty years since the war between their kingdoms began. The decades-long rivalry of the two most influential nations in Domhan have resulted in numerous tragedies. Lives had been lost, lands had been destroyed, families tragically broken apart. Famine and disease had spread throughout, affecting not only the people but as well as the plants, animals, and the lands. Everything reeked of death.

It was heartbreaking; seeing the hopelessness during the battles he had faced – had led. It was honestly one of the worst things to witness for Seungcheol. The eventual death of hope and life in the eyes of the slain was a cross he’d forever have to carry in his heart. He had honestly seen too many dead bodies to last a lifetime.

The medals he had received for his courage and loyalty to his kingdom were of no value for Seungcheol. Even the generous rewards for his efforts during the war was nothing to him. Utterly nothing at all. There was something else more valuable, more important than the glory and prestige he had gained throughout the years. Something more worthwhile – more... precious. He was still unaware of what it was though.

His eyes then gazed at the scene unfolding in front of him.

The peace treaty – just a flimsy scrap of paper which should have been worthless for its materiality but in truth is the most invaluable thing in all of Domhan. That little piece of writing which was lying in the middle of the two most powerful people in their kingdoms was their future – his future.

With bated breath, Seungcheol watched as the Sovereign of Aer, Her Majesty the Queen, had flourished her pen and effortlessly signed on the dotted lines. She passed it forward to the man sitting in front of her, the Emperor of Teine. He gingerly took the paper and signed it with an air of indifference.

As the magic acknowledged the signatures, the tense atmosphere in the hall eventually lifted in ease.

After decades of stubbornness, finally, there would be peace.

 

**

His footsteps echoed through the hallways. They were deliberate and concise, a mirror to his own steadfast character as a general and as a person. The guards he passed by greeted him with a salute; he was the youngest and most well-known general in the empire after all. Yet he simply nodded at them and treaded on. Even with such power and prestige in his stripes, he knew his comrades still mock him behind his back.

A man with no origins – who would ever truly acknowledge that? He ruefully thought.

Seungcheol then entered the throne room. He kneeled in front of his sovereign and bowed down his head, not daring to even meet eyes with the latter. “This general greets Your Majesty,” he said, his voice filled with respect for the man in front of him.

The Emperor of Teine was an exceptionally powerful man in the vast lands of Domhan. Kim Jaejoong, most widely known as Chai Lang[1] or The Jackal, is one of the most acclaimed sovereigns in its history. He’s truly capable – smart and innovative with his ideals – yet at the same time, he was extremely vicious; just like his title.

Maddeningly vicious to be quite frank, he carefully mulled over.

There was no other word to best describe this monarch – utterly, viciously, and downright ruthless was the only one that comes to mind.

He had ruled Teine with a strong iron-grip since he had been crowned. Even before his reign he had shown great violence to his enemies, his hands stained with a vivid red from the numerous lives he had taken. Even some of his people were not spared from his ruthlessness.

Kim Jaejoong was cold-blooded indeed but he, as well, was surprisingly benevolent to the talented. He had spared Seungcheol’s life – spared an orphan of unknown roots, even granting him the honorable position of a general.

“You have been serving our empire since you were fifteen. Isn’t that right, general?” the Emperor asked him, his malevolent voice echoing throughout the throne room. Even though the emperor had voiced it out as a question, Seungcheol knew it was a mere confirmation of his services to Teine. Suddenly, a wave of uneasiness settled at the pits of his stomach. Nevertheless, he answered dutifully. “Yes, Your Majesty,” he replied.

Seungcheol then heard the faint sound of fingers tapping on something hard. Without looking up, he already knew what he would have been seeing. Tapping his fingers on his throne was a tick of the Emperor. The monarch was deeply thinking about something and it was obviously about him as well. He swallowed thickly, his nerves turning anxious.

“I have seen your file, General Choi. And quite frankly, I am impressed with your achievements,” his Emperor lazily drawled. “During training, you were number one among your legion and had the highest attainments for fire control. With a mere five years, you have climbed up the ranks and have become a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter