Apart.

One round.

SooHyuk cycled to school from home since high school. He continued so when he entered university. He met her then. A careless motorcyclist made him lost control and crashed. “Are you okay? You’re bleeding!”, a voice above him exclaimed. “I’m ok...”, he was stunned by the beauty before him when he looked up at the concern voice. Her chestnut coloured eyes so clear under the sunlight. He almost thought she’s a foreigner if she’s not speaking in their language. “No! You’re not ok! Can you stand? I’ll help!”, she hurriedly took his bag, his bicycle and his arm. He can’t help but laughed out. She looked at him weirdly. “I’m sorry. It’s just that you seems so familiar with accidents... the way you handled me... I’m impressed.... Sorry, where’s my manners. I’m Lee SooHyuk. 3rd year dentistry student.” SooHyuk introduced himself. She giggled out. “Ah... does it make you feel uncomfortable? It’s a habitual thing since young... bothersome isn’t it?, her eyes wandered off for a moment thinking back to the times she had with a certain young boy. “No! I’m more than appreciative! Your name...?”, SooHyuk brought her back to earth. “Ah! Sorry! I get drifted away easily... I’m Lee SungKyung. 1st yr student of agriculture sunbae-nim.” Her anxious reaction cracked him up. She was in his mind since then. He’ll find excuses to bump into her. Her pure eyes always shines when he aid her in fending off guys. She’s pretty. Only she disagree on that.

 

[Why arnt you dating sunbae-nim?] SungKyung passed him a hand written note when they met up at the library for some studying. He lied to her saying he needs someone to wake him up if he accidently falls asleep. She naively agreed. [Because no one likes me!] Her eyes widen and she m*outhed mutely,”Are you blind?! What are these notes for then!!!! Women or maybe even men flood my locker with these!!! Not for me, but you!!” He laughed in silent as she rolled her eyes and threw him more than twenty notes asking about his relationship view and status. [Are you single?] [Whats your ideal type?] Similar questions written on the papers. He then wrote down the answers for her to give back. [I’m single, not dating anyone. I like girls with pure eyes, nice smile, worries for nothing, excites over little things, strong willed, generous heart, bickering m*outh, soft for animals, stand up for the weak and I’m still observing.] SungKyung looked at him weirdly and m*outhed,”What a weird taste in woman... bless you.” He cracked up. She’s oblivious to his feelings. He decided to keep it that way. His presence already made a handful of guys backed off. Afterall, he’s one who has a non-friendly face and exterior. Above all, he stood even taller than the girl and most others.

 

As he continued on with his dentistry studies, she joined a well known landscape company and started her career path the way she wanted. They meet up once awhile to catch up. And each time he has to wipe off the dirt on her face. “Why do you like plants so much? The thoughts of those creepy crawlers..... Look! My hair are standing!”, SooHyuk complained. She laughed. “They won’t hurt you...”, her simple answer warms him yet somehow he felt she has other pains in that statement. He hasn’t dare to ask. They celebrated when he’s officially a dentist. By then, she has moved on and opened her first ever tiniest flower shop. She’s been well paid yet she gave up all those and started her own business. “What’s wrong with that? If I’m good, business will come! Isn’t that so?”, she explained. He couldn’t argue with her. She’s right somehow. “But what’s with ‘I’m a florist’?! Dosent sound like a shop name!”, SooHyuk asked her frustratedly at her choice. She giggled. “What do you call a person who sell flowers?”, SungKyung popped this question to him. “Florist.”, he answered logically. “See! I’m a florist! Don’t you think it matches me?”, she laughed out loud. He rolled his eyes at her nonsensical logic but has to give it to her. She puts in all her effort even though it’s a small shop. Whenever he pops by secretly after his work, she’s still in her shop. He saw the vast improvement in her business. Her hard work paid off. She’s a successful boss at 28. But he has only started working not long. He can’t confess yet. Not when he has got nothing to provide her. He looked back, they have known each other for coming 10years.

 

“Don’t worry uncle HyoJoon! Leave it to me! I’ll take care of it until grandpa Gong comes back from his holiday. It’s such small matter!” HyoSeop yawned as he walked down the stairs to the kitchen where he heard conversations early in the morning. “You’re the best SungKyungggg!!! Uncle love you!!!!! I’ll pay you double for the trouble! So you can use it for taxi fare to open your shop on time?” She giggled. “There’s no need! I’ll just skieve a little from work then!” The elder laughed at her easy going nature. Just then he saw HyoSeop walking down. “Ah! I’ll get HyoSeop to send you since he’ll be heading to work late! It’s on the way! Did you hear that Ahn HyoSeop?” Her eyes widened at the name. Her heart started racing. Before she turned to say hello, his voice she heard first. “Why should I? Didn’t you pay her for that portion already? I’m not doing it. None of my business.” SungKyung let of a soft sigh thinking he’s still the same, disliking her as usual. But she turned to him still. “Hello HyoSeop. Haven’t seen you since you’re back. Don’t worry. I won’t trouble you for that. Oh. Welcome back.” She smiled again at him gently before turning back to the older man,”I’ll go take a look outside. Breakfast is ready. I made something new... feedback please?” She pleaded cutely which melts the old man’s heart. She excused herself. Strangely, HyoSeop didn’t like how distant she was towards him. Her smiles are not like those in the pictures he remembered. Her eyes does not sparkle at him like when she’s talking to his father. “Ohhh.... my SungKyung made breakfast! So lucky lucky....”, his dad sang and took a m*outhful of the steam egg. “Yummmmmilicious!!!!!! Why isn’t she a Chef instead?”, his father called out. “Arnt you exaggerating father?”, HyoSeop said and took a spoon of it. “Your face tells the truth.”, his father watched him with a sly look. It’s delicious, HyoSeop can’t deny that.

 

As he gets prepared for work, he saw her managing their large courtyard. She looks so happy watering the plants. He wondered what’s so great about it. His eyes softens as he watched her. ‘Too pretty for her own sake... fcuk. Ahn HyoSeop what the hell did you just say! She ain’t pretty. Just a old hag.’ He moved away from his window. His feet stopped when he saw her still working on the plants. “You want a lift?” He wanted slapped himself. His m*outh moved faster than his mind. “Ah. It’s ok. I’ll head off in awhile. You go ahead. Thanks for asking.” She rejected his offer. He felt sour. Since young she hasn’t said no to him. “Fine then! Suit yourself.”, he said arrogantly. He missed her sad eyes looking at his distancing back. ‘It’s been years. Get over it Lee SungKyung. The boy is not into you. You’re older than him by 5 yrs! How desperate are you?’ She slapped her cheeks to wake herself up.

 

HyoSeop wasn’t having a good day at work since he got rejected earlier on. He talked to no one and showed his cold face to all. Female staffs in the company finds that even more handsome. His looks, education and family background attracted many. Feeling frustrated, he drove out during lunch. His memory didn’t fail as he remembered the name of her shop his father told him before. He looked through the internet and found the address. He drove to her shop. She’s there already. Hair braided to the side, green apron. She definitely looks like a florist. He smirked at the signboard of her shop. “Suits her perfectly...”, he muttered. He looked at his watch. She’s alone. “Where’s her lunch?” Delivery man came one after another. She barely stopped working in that 1.5hrs when he’s there. He realised he’d watched her that Long that his stomach growled. Turning off his car engine, he went to the nearby convenience stall and packed different food. He angrily walked into her shop. “Welcome... how can I.......help you... HyoSeop? Why are you here?” SungKyung was surprised by the customer.

 

“My dad made me come. He say you probably missed breakfast for our family. This is lunch.” He lied expertly. She looked at him suspiciously,“Huh?” “Just eat. I’m hungry.”, HyoSeop said. “Oh, you haven’t eaten? Is this what you’ll eat too? But you don’t like such food..”, she fussed. Every word she said irritates him. As if back to younger days where she knows his likes and dislike at her f*inger tips. “Stop talking. And eat.”, he stopped her. She nodded. She didn’t want to provoke him further. She laid out the food and gave him the chopsticks. The air was awkward. He’s not talking. She’s not too. She looked away throughout knowing he’s uncomfortable. He’s angry for some reason that she’s avoiding his presence. He kept stealing glances at her and caught her smiling. ‘Simple food makes her this happy?’ He smiled too. Her phone rang. “Yes oppa... im eating. I didn’t miss my lunch. What about you? How’s the crowd? Made more kids cry?” She giggled out. HyoSeop felt he’s been cut off from her sight.

‘Is that caller that person...?’ He wondered as their conversation seems close. She smiles so generously to a caller. She hasn’t given him such service when he bought her food. SungKyung felt eyes on her as SooHyuk chatted with her during his break. HyoSeop eyes penetrated her soul. She looked away instantly, not wanting to be swallowed by him. HyoSeop’s anger toppled when she acknowledged his presence but continued her phone chat. He took over her phone rudely and spoke to the caller,”You are hindering her lunch time. Please be more considerate. You do not need to eat dosent mean she has to follow you.” He hung up her call. SungKyung looked at him in puzzled. SooHyuk called back immediately,”Who’s that? Are you ok? I’m sorry I should have let u eat. I’ll call you later?” SungKyung smiled at his worriedness for her. “He’s waiting for his bouquet. I was distracted by your call. No worries. Have a good meal. We’ll will talk later alright...” She hung up.

 

“You need to learn some manners HyoSeop...”, SungKyung ticked him off. “What did I do wrong? I made sure you eat and not talk to someone unrelated.” She sighed,“Never mind. Hurry up and finish. Your lunch break should be long over, isnt it?” She warned him. He rolled his eyes at her. Feeling pissed, he stood up and went off. She watched him cross the road and drove up recklessly. She shook her head at the young adult. Fending off the unnecessarily emotions from lunch, HyoSeop put his mind at work. “Manager Ahn? It’s 9pm already. If there’s nothing else, I’ll make a move first?”, his secretary informed him through the phone. He looked at his watch, not knowing it’s this late already. He asked her to leave. Packing up his stuffs, he went to his car. His engine running as he looked out of his window. The middle size shop still has lights on. There’s still delivery man and regular customers at this timing.

It’s 9 already. “Does she skips dinner too?!” He said out to no one. Everyone who steps into her shop, she smiles like there’s no tomorrow. His watch clicked 10 when she started bringing in the standing boards outside the shop. ‘Finally she’s closing?’ He turned off the car engine. Before he stepped out, a cyclist stopped by. He’s dressed formally. They greeted one another. He brought her food. Her face lights up when he appeared. HyoSeop hand tightens at the car handle. ‘Who is he.... the caller in the afternoon?’ He watched them eat. She’s laughing so beautifully. He recalled this smile was only to him when they were much younger. He recalled how he hated her smile back then. Now, he hated it more when she’s smiling like that to others. Their dinner lasted more than an hour. HyoSeop followed them in his car. The cyclist walked her to the busstop and only left the spot when she got up the bus. One look, HyoSeop knows that man likes SungKyung. He reeved up his car’s engine and speed home.