Attracted.

One round.

“This baby is so pretty.... I want to keep him mom... I want to put him in my pocket dad...”, 5yr old SungKyung said to her parents as she played with the baby’s tiny f*ingers. Her parents smiled warmly at their only daughter. “His name is HyoSeop ah SungKyung... You’ll look after him like a big sister, right? He’s too big to fit into your pocket silly girl.”, her dad patted her head and carried her in his arms. The Lee family has been friends with the Ahn since many many years. “SungKyung ah... come over and play with our HyoSeop ok? Be his bestfriend! Just like uncle and your father.”, the baby’s father fondled her chubby cheeks. “How I wish my kid got those eyes... I can melt in these jems... SungKyung ah... kiss kiss! Give uncle a kiss please.......?” The toddler leaned forward willingly, plastered a wet kiss on the older man’s cheek and giggled out. “Uncle is funny!”, she said out. The adults laughed.

 

Lee SungMin has been friends with Ahn HyoJoon since junior school. Although their background are vastly different, they clicked. Even when HyoJoon went oversea for studies after his high school, the boys remained in contact. HyoJoon’s parents discouraged their only son to mingle with SungMin, saying the boy is poor and uneducated. But HyoJoon didn’t care and their friendship lasted to date. Due to bad times, he assisted his friend financially. “I’m not gonna take free money.”, SungMin was unwilling. “Fine. How about you be my driver then? While SooJung can help out the meals since she’s a great cook? Better? Must we be so calculative?”, HyoJoon complained. “That should be the way... Thanks man. You know I really appreciate everything....”, SungMin hugged his bestfriend. The family of three moved into the underground space of the Ahn’s to facilitate the work they were given. However, they are always at the main floor together with the house owner. Laughter always run throughout the night.

 

HyoJoon has all along been strict and stern towards his only son, HyoSeop. “Can’t you be a little more gentle? Treat him half of how you treat SungKyung. I know he’s a boy but it’s unfair no matter how I see it as a mother.”, MinHee nagged at her husband. “He’s my only son. You pampered him enough. No son of mine is going to be some spoilt brat! SungKyung is so pretty...... how can you compare them together!”, HyoJoon continued singing praises of the little girl who is now 10.

 

“Go away! I don’t wanna play with girls! Especially you!”, 5 yr old HyoSeop pushed 10yr old SungKyung away roughly. “Let me join! Don’t treat me as a girl then! Hn? Ok?”, she pestered. HyoSeop’s group of friends kept pressurizing him to get the game going. He had no choice but let the older girl join as long she’s not in his team. “Wow! Noona! Here! Here! Yea!!!!!!!”, RoWoon shouted at their team’s victory. The boys on HyoSeop’s team joined in too although they’ve lost,”Noona! You’re so good in this! Join our team the next time please!” SungKyung gave them a V-sign cheekily. HyoSeop looked at her with anger. He didn’t want her in his team when she wanted to join his. His team lost because of her. He hated her. Eversince he old enough to know what’s going on, she’s been his pebble stone. His father loves her more than him. He stomped his feet and disregard the game. He cried in his room. SungKyung saw his expression and know very well that he’s upset. She followed him. She knocked on his door lightly and entered even he said he does not want to be disturbed.

 

“HyoSeop ah... what’s wrong? It’s just a game. Didn’t you have fun? Win or lose shouldn’t be important...” The tears in his eyes stopped flowing when he heard her voice. It irritates him. “Why are you here! Get out! It’s my room! You’re not welcome here! Not in my room, not in my house! I don’t want to see you! Go away Lee SungKyung!”, He got up from his bed and pushed her roughly til she’s out of his room. He slammed the door at her face. “Ouch!” He heard but ignored thinking she’s lying. “Serve you right!”, He shouted out from inside. SungKyung walked away, her head hanging low. They had all the fun together for a few years. But as he grow older, he started disliking her when she still likes him a lot.

 

“SungKyung ah!!!!!!”, her mom shouted out in panic when she saw a car knocked her daughter down. HyoSeop stumbled to the ground when he saw the amount of blood on the floor from the girl he hates. “What did you do Ahn HyoSeop?! I told you not to run about on the road! What have you done!”, his father shouted at him. He has never seen him this angry and dissappointed at him. “HyoJoon... it’s an accident. It’s not the boy’s fault...”, SungMin held his friend back when he saw him punishing the young boy. “How’s SungKyung?! Is she alright? I’m sorry SungMin! It’s all HyoSeop’a fault! I saw the video! He pushed her! He saw the car coming and pushed her!”, HyoJoon went from worried to anger as he pointed his f*inger at his son. SungMin pressed his hand down. “She’s fine. So, no harm done. My daughter said she wasn’t careful herself. She’s at fault, not HyoSeop...”, SungMin explained. He knows his daughter has a soft spot for the young kid since birth. As she grew older, the feelings remain the same. He’s out of idea what to do with her precious daughter.

 

“Her likeness towards the boy only makes her life in danger!”, his wife spoke up. The doctor told him there’s no danger. But the accident left a 10cm scar on SungKyung’s back due to the stitch. “My daughter’s precious skin! It’s enough! How much hurt does she has to go through? She’s only 15!”, his wife continued as she weep. He felt the pain seeing the long scar on his daughter’s back. But he knows blaming HyoSeop will make SungKyung even more upset. “You know our daughter best. She wouldn’t want us to make things difficult than how it is already, right?”, he consoled her. She reluctantly agreed.

 

Since then SungKyung never once looked up for HyoSeop. Their time spent together stopped when he’s 11 and she’s 16. She realised her presence brings HyoSeop nothing but anger and unhappiness. She avoided him since but has been secretly peeking at him when he doesn’t notice. He grew up well, happier and became even more handsome. Her heart pumped at his smiling face. She turned away and went back to her room.

 

“Where’s the pretty noona? Haven’t seen her awhile... She moved?”, Jackson asked. HyoSeop looked at his friend,”Who?” He frowned knowing which nonna his friend was referring to. Since that incident, she vanished. Their family still live under them but she no longer appears at his sight. All he saw was her back view. It’s been a few years and he hasn’t had the courage to apologize to her personally. “Was her name SungKyung? Yea! I saw her earlier on! She’s even more pretty now! And so tall! 20yr old girls really starts to mature...”, RoWoon added. HyoSeop didn’t answer. His friends saw her so easily. “She’s just some poor girl. Why bother.”, he answered. “I guess u need some glasses. Pretty isn’t link to poor or not brother!”, JiYong rebutted him. HyoSeop rolled his eyes at his close friends.

 

After high school, his parents sent him to Canada for university. His group of friends joined him. They left aboard when they were 18yrs old. SungKyung hid behind the pillar at the airport when he took off. She teared heavily those few nights. Every year he comes back during Christmas. She saw his growth, he has become a young adult. “SungKyung ah, ask your dad to join me for a drink... I’m lonely....”, the elder man pleaded like a kid. HyoSeop heard the familiar name. “Ok!!!” He heard her voice. When he tried to catch a glimpse of her, she’s gone. He only managed to catch her side view. His eyes never left the spot. “Dont you think it’s too late to see her as a beautiful girl now? She’s no longer yours son... stop looking. Ungrateful brat. How I wish she’s my daughter in law...”, his father said out loud. There’s a weird emotion in him on his dad’s words. “I didn’t say anything about her being pretty or what. She’s older than me. Not even near my type.”, HyoSeop told him off. “Son. Get this right. You are not her type. Not the other way round... Ah!!! SungMin! You’re here! Let’s go buddy! Drinks!”, his father changed the topic when the girl’s dad appeared. “Oh, hi HyoSeop! How’s things? I see American food did you well! Have fun while you’re around yea! Look... Your old man is already drunk before drinking! Coming back for good next year I heard? That’s good..” He was pulled away by his father. HyoSeop bowed with respect towards his father’s old friend.

 

“What’s with dad? After so long.. still fangirling over his BFF’s daughter? I mean she’s already 25 right?”, HyoSeop asked his mother. The graceful lady smiled lovingly at his son. “You can’t blame him. He wanted a daughter all along. And SungKyung grew up really fine. She’s a florist now. After graduating from university, she worked for a big company. They wanted to send her abroad. But she declined knowing her parents couldn’t bare it and instead open her own business. She now has her own shop. Capable isn’t it? All by herself... I heard from aunt SooJung that guys are buying her flowers for her. She’s such a pretty and kind hearted one... I wonder whose the lucky one in future to marry her..”, his mom shared with him. “What? Mother, even you have been bewitched? Are you lesbian or what?”, HyoSeop jokes. “Language boy. You haven’t seen her right? Take a look...”, his mom took out her phone and showed him the photo album in it. “Pretty isn’t she?”, she asked. HyoSeop eyes widen at the girl in the photos. Every single one in it has her. She towered over many in terms of height. Her smiles and eyes shined. Her hair tied up differently but mostly in braids. It looks right on her. He stood up abruptly and headed to his room. That night, his dream was filled with the girl.

 

HyoSeop graduated with excellent results. He came back to Korea and started working at his father’s company. He increased his frequency back to Korea at his last year of study. He’s been wanting to see her mostly. She’s been on his mind since then. But not once he saw her. “Uncle SungMin moved? Haven’t seen him and the family..”, HyoSeop asked subtly when he’s having breakfast with his parents. “My best friend is going to stay with me forever! Don’t you dare chase them away...”, his dad announced. His mother rolled her eyes. “SungKyung recently moved to a bigger shop. They are helping her out today.. Her business gets better every year isn’t it hubby? I wonder when will she settle down... She’s coming 28...” HyoSeop took in everything as his parents conversed. “The Q is long... SungMin shared with me there’s a potential one. He’s a dentist. Young man. Older than our SungKyung by 2yrs? There goes my daughter in law...”, his father eyed at him. “I don’t even like her.”, HyoSeop declared but his heart tightened at the news. “Oh really. She don’t like you either! You don’t deserve her anyway! She can cook so well, sing so well, dress so well, everything about her is so so well....”, his father continued on. Both father and son stared at one another.