Unforeseen problems

catfishing gone wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cafe's interiors were probably the first thing Seungwan was elevated to see that afternoon. It was well-known fact in their circle about Yeri's fascination on beautiful and breathtaking scenes and stuff, which included coffee shops like this one. 

The youngest was definitely the type to go to top 10 coffee shops in Seoul in less than a week. What's odd was that they almost didn't make it to the cafe. Seulgi and Joy were both not in the mood all of a sudden, the travel time from Seungwan's apartment was almost an hour and the known traffic on the way there didn't help as well. However, Yeri wasn't having any of it, she dragged the two unwilling girls out of the mattress and opened the showers for them in the restroom. And as much as Seungwan hated driving more than anyone else, no one else besides her have any license. She was stuck with children and Yeri, no matter how irritating she can be, Seungwan will never have the heart to say no to the youngest. 

The smell of coffee breeze and newly-baked pastries engulfed their senses as soon as they set their foot inside. The grand yet homelike features were enough to send them scrambling all over the place, grinning to one another while admiring and pointing with regards to a bunch of paintings pinned on the light plum walls with less art to nothing. The whole interior details were kept to minimal yet classy. The four of them took in the whole place, with mouths gaping and eyes sparkling. Their notable stares depicted to each other were giveaways that this place is indeed a good location to take new pictures. 

With little known gestures, the four of them gathered at the middle, to sit and pose while Seungwan held her phone up to take pictures of them together, of course, never forgetting to take separate shots of the three girls and the cafe together with its interior. A whole 10 minutes had passed and they finally settled into a table at the corner. 

Not at all dulled by each passing minute, Joy was the first one to speak. "No offense, but the pictures in the web didn't do this cafe any justice, no ." 

"Hey, language." Seulgi softly reprimanded, chuckling anyway at the overly excited Joy. The youngest only grinned, taking and suggesting everyone's orders before she went to the counter herself and not before surprising everyone it's her treat. 

When the orders came Joy squealed in excitement as she sipped on her iced latte, suggested by the youngest. Her eyes widen surprisingly before she sipped again. "This cafe and Yeri? Absolutely no words." 

Seulgi, on the other hand, was smiling from ear to ear, munching on her food happily, while making tiny baby noises every now and then indicating she was pretty much having the time of her life with her iced choco and all these good-looking sweets laid down in front of her. 

Yeri ordered her own lemonade smoothie, which she quickly concluded the best smoothie in the world. She even wanted to try Joy's drink but the older girl shoved her hand away from her drink before they ended up in a friendly bicker. 

"I brought you here and even treated you and this is how you repay me?" 

"Then please do the honor and treat yourself with another iced latte." 

"I never said I wanted another order! I'm just merely curious with how good it is!" 

"Then try it some other time cause this drink is mine." Joy responded for the last time, sticking her tongue out like a kid before dragging her drink further out of Yeri's reach. 

Seungwan watched softly, practically smiling like a mom who just went out to fetch her kids after class so she could treat them with their favorite meals as reward. Seulgi who was just as fascinated, leaned closer to her friend. "How are we friends with them again?" She half-asked and half-whispered, enough for the two youngest to snap their heads in the direction of their unnies.

Seungwan laughed heartily, covering in response. "Seulgi-ah, you're not one to talk here, honestly."

Joy grinned, "Uhuh, not when you make baby noises when you're eating... That's so adult of you, really."

Seulgi went red from the sudden attack from her friends. She opened to rebut but found no words coming out, except with her small "I don't." 

"See?" Joy's grin was wider, pulling Seulgi closer to her so she could pinch both of her stuffed cheeks. The oldest was all sorts of bright red that she can't even protect her cheeks from the excessive harassment Joy was doing. 

Everything was going well for the four of them, they talked a lot about how their week went and Seungwan was the first one to whine about Yeri, how bland and unexciting it was compared to Seulgi and Joy's. Yeri was even in the conversation completely, making faces to each statement directed towards her. 

"That's classic Yeri for you." Seulgi commented, telling her shared week with Yeri as well. "I swear all Yeri does nowadays is stick her face on her phone." 

"She probably has a boyfriend now." Joy laughed and Yeri almost choked on her drink, earning herself a victorious grin from Joy. 

As if on cue, someone entered the shop accompanied by a small ring coming from the door.

A woman showed up and it would've been nothing out of the ordinary if Yeri didn't choke on her drink for real this time. Seulgi had to pat her back several times, asking her if she's fine but her eyes remained glued to the woman and from the looks of it, it was almost like she had seen an unwanted ghost. 

Seungwan caught the intense reaction which made her look over her shoulder to see who was the cause of it. 

And there stood, Saeron, overlooking the menu at the top of the counter. She was wearing plaid shirt and ripped up jeans. The girl wasn't even trying and yet she's out here looking like an actress in her normal day. 

Seungwan glanced almost furiously back to her friend, her mind gearing for a second and it finally clicked, dawning to her like a speed train running her over, quick and harsh.

The friend Yeri was talking about was Saeron. 

All the efforts on Yeri's end finally made sense, no wonder she went extra mile to go here, even hassling the three of them just so she could try the drink Saeron probably suggested to her. 

"I-I think... I need to go to the restroom." Yeri announced to no one, she didn't even wait for a reply before she advanced to where the restroom was. Leaving the rest of the girls dumbfounded by her sudden shift of behavior. 

Seungwan, like a caught mouse, shifted on her seat uncomfortably, something about seeing Saeron today stirred her insides. She didn't want to think about it, nor the possibilities of it happening but she can't ignore it either. All she knew for the moment was they need to go at once when Yeri comes back. As much as her curiosity was fighting against the idea of leaving too soon, her own mind was already in fight or flight dilemma. 

Joy who was unusually attentive the whole time, stared at her friend suspiciously . Something about their reactions' timing raised her already forming doubts.

"What's up with that?" 

"H-Huh?" Seungwan responded with a tiny squeak all the more proving Joy's suspicions. The oldest was nervous out of nowhere. 

"I said, what's up with that? Why is Yeri acting weird now?" 

"What do you mean?" Seulgi butted in quietly, totally at lost by the sudden strange of atmosphere. 

"I don't know." Seungwan lied. 

"Really? Then why did she have to go somewhere else as soon as she saw her? Does she know that wom-" 

Joy pointed accusingly at Saeron's back. Seungwan jumped out of impulse from her seat, slapping Joy's hand down in response before she covered the younger's mouth using her other hand. 

"Please don't do that." She whispered quietly on Joy's ear. The taller woman quit struggling when she heard the strain in Seungwan's voice, she reluctantly raised both of her hands in surrender and Seungwan eventually let her go.

Seungwan fused herself back to her seat with shaky legs while Seulgi remained wordless all throughout, a part of her was trying to figure out something from last night. Joy stopped butting in, but she had this "i'm not done with you" look, her arms crossed like she can't wait for them to go home and have Seungwan or Yeri explained the whole situation to her.

It was understandable and reasonable in this case knowing well enough how the tall girl easily gets triggered by secrets and confidentiality. Joy was explicit and frank about her likes and dislikes. She, herself, had said it many times in several occasions that secrets and friendship don't go too well as far as Seungwan can remember. 

Yeri came back shortly, looking so tight. Her features were rigid including her small apologetic smile flashing across her features when she sat down.

Tongue-tied and lost for words, Seungwan discreetly tapped Yeri's thigh under the table and like two caught mice, they both stared

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter