Two

Bending the Lines for You

Manchester, UK

02.08.2020

 

“Serin, did you borrow my red stripes adidas socks?”  Herin hollered across the living room.

 

“Umm… did I? Oops I think I’m wearing them,” Serin looked down and shrugged.

 

“Ooooh…I’m so going to kill you” Herin sprinted towards her older sister who’s eating her pancakes, “you know how I need them for good luck today!”

 

Serin grinned as she hurriedly collected her bags and ran towards the door, “I’m leaving now, Mom, Dad. Goodluck with your finals, sis!”

 

“Oh gosh, Serin, YOU”, Herin stomped her right foot and blew a raspberry, “Will I do well today?”, she messed her own hair in frustration.

 

16:30 PM

University of Manchester

 

“Did you do well?”, Lia nudged Herin’s shoulder as she sighed.

 

“I don’t know,” Herin slipped her pencil case into her bag and slumped, “whatever, tomorrow’s Spring break!”

 

The two best friends automatically did a little celebratory dance.

 

“Let’s go to London and picnic at the park tomorrow, it’ll be so fun!”, Lia jumped, “and bring your cute bathing suit, just in case!”

 

The two giggled, “The yellow one?”

“Jinx!”

 

 

Heathrow International Airport

19:00 PM

 

“Air Canada 287873 has safely landed”, the announcement was heard all across the airport.

 

Mark rubbed his eyes and wiggled in his seat.

 

‘I’m gonna have the most relaxing time for the next two weeks’, he told himself as he hopped off the plane and inhaled London air.

 

Mark his phone as he wait for his luggage to come on the belt.

*One new message*

 

Yeri: “Heard you’ll be in London for a bit! Have you landed safely?”

 

Mark raised his right eyebrow and typed his reply.

 

“Yeah, how did you know I’ll be here?”

 

Yeri: “I have my sources”

 

Mark chuckled and typed, “there’s really no privacy in SM, is there? What are you doing in London?”

 

Yeri: “You know it. I just finished some photoshoots, wanna grab dinner tonight?”

 

Mark spotted his bag on the belt, “sure”, he quickly typed.

 

A restaurant in Battersee, London

21:00 PM

 

Mark raised his hand as he saw Yeri already sitting in her seat, munching some complimentary bread and butter.

 

“Look who’s here” Yeri gave Mark a fist bump as he approached.

 

They both sat down and proceeded to order.

 

“Finally time to breathe, huh? What’s your plan?”

 

Mark gulped his water, “Nothing much, I think I’m just going to explore the city and maybe hop on the train to nearby places. Everything will be impromptu, all I have is my return ticket to Seoul”

 

“I envy you; I have shoots until the end of the week and then I’ll be going home with all the crew”, Yeri replied, “It’s so lonely you know”

 

Mark nodded understandingly as he, too, knows how that feels.

 

The two long-time friends caught up on each other’s life as they eat the warm meal. Even though they are in the same company, they don’t get to just chill and talk like the old days as their schedules hardly ever match with all the overseas promotions and tours.

 

“Did you know that boss invaded our vlive without even realizing it? The coordi noona had to run and grab him!”, Mark shared.

 

Yeri laughed heartily, “You’re kidding!”

 

Mark laughed along and made the ‘I swear’ sign with his fingers.

 

“Oh, remember Herin?”

 

Mark stopped cutting on his steak and looked up.

 

“Herin?”, the way her name rolled on his tongue is unfamiliar—he missed the way he used to call her every day.

 

“Yeah, Seo Herin. She used to train with us back in SMRookies days,” Yeri answered as she chewed on her steak, “apparently, she’s back in England”

 

Mark looks at Yeri as if waiting for her to continue.

 

“I just sent her an IG DM and asked if she wants to meet up. You should join us if you want!”, Yeri continued.

 

Mark nodded absent-mindedly, “Yeah, just keep me updated”

 

Mark could not taste the rest of his meal that night as he was clouded by all the possibilities that he might actually meet her.

 

 

02.08.2020

Tube

 

Herin checked her Instagram as she has not been able to for the past week due to her finals.

 

One DM request:

 

“Herin, this is Yerim! We used to train together in SM. I heard you’re back in England, I’m in London for a shoot. Do you want to meet up sometime? I haven’t seen you in so long.”

 

Herin’s heart grew warm as Yerim’s young self came on her memory, she immediately typed a reply.

 

“Yerim, it’s so nice to hear from you! I am actually on a tube to London right now and staying for a couple days. Would you be able to meet maybe tonight or tomorrow?”

 

Hyde Park

14:00 PM

 

“Lia, could you take out the plates from the basket?”, Herin asked as she sets up the picnic mat on the grass.

 

“Coming right away”, Lia scooted over to their picnic basket under the shade of a big tree.

 

“Herin, did you pack some of your legendary brownies again?”, Liberty asked as she hops off her bike with her boyfriend, Liam.

 

“Sure did!”, Herin missed Liberty and Liam, the couple were her childhood friends, and they are currently studying in London after high school. So, Lia and her always try to meet them whenever they visit London.

 

Herin smiled contently as her dimples are proudly showing under the warm sun, she turned around as a fluffy ball of fur approached her.

 

“Come here, you sweet thing”, she opened her arms to welcome the ball of joy.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry”, she heard a little kid said in the distance.

 

Herin’s eyes caught a somewhat familiar figure strolling around the park in his dark washed jeans, white jean jacket, and a pair of sneakers; his jet-black hair is casually pushed back. She couldn’t fully see his face because a pair of sunglasses was sitting on top of his nose bridge.

 

He crouched down to grab the kid’s frisbee and hands it to him, “No problem kiddo” she heard him say as he messed the kid’s hair affectionately.

 

Herin narrowed her eyes to get a better look as a part of her is strangely gravitated to this man, she could clearly see how his strong jawline shaped a genuine smile. A small gasp escaped .

 

‘It can’t be...’

.

.

.

___***___