Fourteen

Bending the Lines for You

Chapter 14

 

Mark and Herin lay on a bed of green grass, talking about everything as hours passed and only a quarter left in their wine bottle.

 

Herin thought it was impossible to know someone deeper than what they already know of each other. He never fails to surprise her with his unique perspective on the world, his flaming ambition and positivity, but also his ability to convey his concerns and how he deals with insecurities.

 

In this cut-throat Korean entertainment industry, it is extremely hard to stay grounded all the time. Mark knows what he was going into when he first signed up for SM audition. No matter what comes his way, he will be there to conquer them.

 

To be honest, Mark went on this vacation because he felt like he was doing his best at everything, but something was missing. He could not feel pure happiness nor sadness, it was like everything was automated, calculated, yet it left him numb.

 

He could not pinpoint what it was, but he knew he needed a change, a fresh breath of air to lead him back to his original goal.

 

“You know, everyone kept telling me I was doing well. In my head, I know I did my best. But in here, I felt…” Mark struggles to find the word he’s trying to express as he looks down to his left chest where his heart is. He then sits up to take a sip of his wine, “…empty”.

 

Herin doesn’t say anything but he knows she’s listening attentively.

 

“I always feel like I’m not doing enough contribution to the team, I’m not doing enough to make the fans happy. I should’ve improved even more and be even better” He hung his head low, frustrated to why he was feeling this way, how his mind and heart is conflicting.

 

Herin looks at him, he never felt so small to her. He was always a confident figure, the one who takes care of her when no one realizes she needed help. Her heart breaks for him, she could empathize with him, but she knew she could never feel exactly what he’s feeling.

 

Knowing that, she sits up next to him. She wanted to be strong for him, to reassure him. She raised her right hand before she gently pats his upper back.

 

He slowly looks up to meet her eyes, he’s not crying but his eyes look like he could break at the lightest touch.

 

Herin cups both of his cheeks, “It’s amazing that you always wanted to improve, everyone should learn that from you”, a faint smile decorating her face.

 

“But you should know this”, she squeezed his cheeks, finally getting a small chuckle from him as a response.

 

“Mark Lee, you are enough.”

 

He sits there, stunned. She circles both of her arms around his neck, enveloping him in a warm hug.

 

“You are the best version of yourself” she continues.

 

He rests his forehead on her shoulder before raising an arm to hug her waist, feeling extremely secure. What she said was exactly what he needed. It’s a simple act of reassurance, but Mark felt like all his worries just disappeared with the night air. He trusts her, his heart knows he could. Mark feels like he could take on anything and nothing will scare him.

 

“Okay?” she asks. He could just feel that she’s smiling even though he could not see it. Mark decided to nod against her shoulder instead of replying.

 

“Come on, say it.” She gives him a slight shake with a hint of playfulness in her voice.

 

“Okay.” He finally replies in a tiny voice, and it really felt like everything was going to be okay.

 

He doesn’t let her go for a while, enjoying her comfort and warmth.

 

“Oh look, the white Eiffel is starting!” a young voice behind them excitedly announced to his family.

 

Herin and Mark looks up to the Eiffel Tower which is now glistening in white, and it will only last for a couple minutes. It’s magnificent and unforgettable.

 

The pair looks at the White Eiffel, savoring the moment to their memory. The whole experience is surreal. Deep down, it reminds them of their trip.

 

Rare, unexpected, short, but shines the brightest.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Paris, France

08:00 AM

 

Sounds of birds chirping seems to be their alarm here in Paris. Mark stretches in his sofabed before opening his eyes. The morning sun escapes through the cracks of the window blinds, indicating the start of a new day.

 

He carefully gets out of his warm blanket, not knocking his shin on the coffee table this time, before heading to the washroom to brush his teeth and wash his face.

 

Mark heads to the kitchen area to brew coffee for them. It was only their third day but if felt like this is their life together, making coffee for each other, enjoying each other’s company in the morning, and getting ready to start the day together. He proceeds to open the blinds to let the sunlight fills the room.

 

Herin is hidden under the covers on her bed in a fetal position, only her hair and left shoulder are showing on top of the blanket. Mark sits on the edge of the bed, carefully poking on her shoulder to wake her up.

 

“Hmm” she turns to the other side, now facing him, still not waking up.

Mark smiles at her cute antics, he gently removes the hair covering her face, and nudge her shoulder again.

 

“Herin” he calls this time.

 

Her eyelids slowly flutter open, before squinting slightly at the bright light. It was not shocking, and her eyes quickly adjusted thanks to a shadow covering the direct sunlight.

 

“Hey, sleepyhead” he greets her.

 

“Hey” she croaks a response, taking in the sight of him with sunlight hitting his back.

 

“Sleep well?”

 

“Clearly” she chuckles.

 

“Good. Come on, we need to watch the train in a couple hours” He looks at her calmly.

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“We’re going to Amsterdam” he announces.

 

“What?!” She jolts up.

 

“We are” Mark laughs at her response.

“For a day trip, didn’t you say you wanted poffertjes?”

 

____________________________________________________*************________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: 

 

Oooh finally a change in scenery!