Ten

Bending the Lines for You

Chapter 10

 

An Airbnb off Boulevard Saint-Martin

23:00 PM

 

“Herin, can you get a flashlight? I need to put the passcode for the lock” Mark asked as he struggles with the moonlight helping his vision.

 

“Yeah” Herin huffs a small exhale after climbing the stairs. She comes closer behind his shoulders and direct her phone’s flashlight to help him see the padlock.

 

The room Mark booked is located on the 3rd floor of the classic Parisian apartment.

 

“Okay, got it” Mark stated as the pad unlocks.

 

He looks back to look at Herin and froze when he is faced directly with her nose just a couple inches away from his own. He manages to crack a sheepish smile to avoid any awkwardness.

 

“Let’s go” he whispered.

 

He was about to turn the light on after they closed the door—

 

“Wait” Herin cuts him off.

 

Mark turns to look at her, she looks completely struck at the sight before them. He follows the direction of her eyes and was awed by the twinkling city lights of Paris. The darkness in the room completely contrasted the bright light so they could see them better. They could see the Eiffel Tower in a distance glistening white—the Eiffel Tower light show has started.

 

Herin approaches the big window across the room to take in the view and Mark follows right behind her. Setting himself next to her in front of the big window, they just stood there for a moment, astonished.

 

That moment, Mark felt extremely grateful that the universe allowed her to tag along in this rendezvous. He could not help but steal a glance of her as the moonlight shines on her delicate features, proudly showcasing her natural dimples.

 

It felt like destiny.

 

Herin looks back at him with the same smile that melted his heart in the first place, and Mark returns the gesture as he felt the corners of his lips curved into a genuine smile. It felt so easy to be with her, to smile with her—to feel safe and content.

 

 

Mark started to unpack the stuff from his duffle bag and set some clothes and essential stuff on the sofa, which sat diagonally from the big window.

 

“You’re unpacking right now?” Herin asked as she takes out her toiletries she bought earlier.

 

Mark hums as a response.

 

“You should get prepared for bed first, you must be tired” he added.

 

Herin nods, “I’ll be quick”

 

“It’s fine, take your time”

 

As he saw Herin disappearing into the bathroom, he placed a set of fresh loungewear on top of the bedroom bench, which rests on the foot of the twin-sized bed.

 

Mark took out his iPad and started browsing of the transportation and itinerary for the next few days. As soon as he hears the shower quieting down, he swiped his fingers across his iPad on notes and scribbled something quickly before exiting the room.

 

 

“I feel so replenished” Herin, now dressed in a bathrobe provided by the Airbnb, comes out of with steam escaping the bathroom after her hot shower.

 

She looks around but Mark was nowhere to be found, “Huh? Did he go out to get something?”

 

Herin proceed to pat dry her hair with a small towel, until she noticed a set of loungewear, folded neatly on top of the bedroom bench with an iPad on top of it.

 

She picked up the iPad and it lit up as it was unlocked.

 

They’ll be more comfortable. It’s cold outside

 

The note read.

 

Herin could not deny that her hear skipped as she read that.

 

“Did he just lend me pjs?” Herin internally asked herself, puzzled.

 

She unfolds the set and giggles as the shirt proudly showcases an animated young Simba from Lion King. Herin shook her head and proceed to go back to the bathroom to change into them.

 

 

After about 20 minutes, Mark knocks softly on the front door. He had been waiting in front of the unit, just in case she feels uncomfortable or she needed to change in the room.

 

The door was opened, revealing Herin, dressed in the loungewear that he had lent her and her damp hair framing her face.

 

“Who knocks to enter their own room?” She playfully asked as she lets him in.

 

“You know, just in case. I didn’t want to barge in” Mark responded.

 

“Thank you for the pjs” She smiles sweetly and gazing directly into his eyes.

 

“Yeah no problem” Mark choked out a response.

 

She looks so tiny and adorable in his clothes because they are oversized on her. She had rolled up the bottom of the pants a couple times, so they don’t drag across the floor when she walks.

 

“Okay so I’m gonna clean up now” Mark grabs his own set of loungewear and rushed into the bathroom before she realized how pink his face is.

 

He stops in front of the bathroom door, “Take the bed, I’ll take the sofa”

 

Then he goes inside that bathroom and closes its door before she could utter a response.

 

Herin raised her hand to protest, but he’s already in the shower as she could hear water droplets hitting the bathroom floor.

 

 

Herin sits on the small stool and rests her arms on the small coffee table as she types a text to update her friends.

 

“I’m in Paris, safe and sound” she messages the group.

 

After a couple of minutes, a response came as her phone vibrates.

 

“Girl, we’ve been dying to hear from you!” Lia’s message read.

 

“Where are you now?” Liam chimed in.

 

“Ohhh…” Liberty response read. Herin could have sworn she kinda heard her teasing voice.

 

“I’m staying in his apartment” Herin replies.

 

“GIRL U NOTY, I’m telling your sister” Liam responded like a dad.

“see, I told you”

 

“You owe me £10”

 

Herin gasped in disbelief and snorted, “you guys bet on me?!”

 

“Oops”

 

“Busted”

 

She was about to type in another response when she hears a click of the bathroom door unlocking, revealing Mark in slightly oversized, plain red shirt and black sweatpants. His jet-black hair is now damp, and some strands down, lightly covering his forehead.

 

“Oh hey, I thought you went to rest already”

 

“Oh um, I was just texting the group for a bit. Anyways, I’ll take the sofa” Herin grabs a pillow.

 

“No, take the bed” Mark argues.

 

“It’s really okay, I feel bad enough for crashing your apartment” she argues back.

 

Mark softly looks at her with affection in his eyes, before taking a step forward to her. Herin’s eyes widen as he placed both of his hands on both ends of her shoulders.

 

He turns her around and puts a light pressure on both ends of her shoulders, sitting down on the bed.

 

“Get some rest, Herin” He smiles reassuringly, grabs the pillow from her hands and turns around to walk towards the sofa.

 

“But—”

 

“I won’t be able to sleep if I hear your teeth gritting the entire night” he cracked a joke.

 

“What about you then?”

 

“This is good enough for me” Mark grabs some spare blankets from the top of the cabinet.

 

 

Herin is snuggled into the warm blanket, feeling cozy in his comfortable clothes.

 

Mark finally shuts down the light and heads to his “bed”.

 

“What’s the plan for tomorrow?” Herin asks.

 

“No plan is the best plan” Mark replies.

 

“And yet, you called me a mad woman” Herin joked sarcastically.

 

“Hey Mark”

 

“Hmm?”
 

“You have a peculiar taste in loungewear”

 

He laughs at the unexpected comment.

 

“Go to sleep Herin, maybe your brain is tired” he jokes.

 

“Good night, Mark” she sniffles a giggle.

 

“Good night, Herin”

 

Just like that, they closed the first day of their rendezvous. They both looked at the ceiling with an excited heart, looking forward to what tomorrow has in store for them.

 

______________________________________________________**********_______________________________________________