One

Bending the Lines for You

Vancouver, BC

02.06.2020

 

Mark let out a big breath as he jogged down the stage stairs towards the backstage, a mix of gratefulness and satisfaction.

SuperM has officially concluded their Vancouver stop. Working nonstop from NCT to SuperM has been physically tiring, but his ambitions gets the best of him. He has always felt his fatigue and stress being washed away whenever he performs on stage and meet their fans on the stadium, surrounding them like millions of stars. For Mark, that is his happiest moment and he would not trade anything for it.

 

“Bro, what the hell it’s upside down! Let’s flip it, 1,2,3”

 

“Now, where are the balloons?”

 

Mark paused in front of the changing room as he heard ruckus from the inside. He was sure no one would be inside because they were all gathering for the whole crew’s final brief.

 

Hesitantly, he turned the doorknob and saw two familiar figures he had not seen in ages.

 

“WELCOME HOME MARK LEE” The sign read.

 

Calvin and Elliot have undoubtedly grown taller and more mature, but so has he. Mark could not hold back as his grin crept up his face.

 

“YOOOOOOOO… when did you get here?”, Mark chuckles and jogs towards his two childhood best friends to give them a big hug.

 

“Hey, superstar”, Calvin excitedly pats his back in return.

 

“Wow what happened to skinny Mark, you’re all buff now”, Elliot chimed in.

 

Mark flashed his signature smirk and changed his stage jacket to a warmer one, “Let’s save the chitchat over dinner, shall we? I’m starving”.

 

The three bestfriends went to get their usual dinner place, Happy Valley Dim sum as it opens until late, catching up the time they spent apart. Sure, they have kept in contact through emails and occasional phone calls during Mark’s training period. But those were kept short as the time difference and scheduling conflict came in the way.

 

Both Calvin and Elliot are currently enrolled in UBC, as Political Science and Business students respectively. Mark is enrolled in an online university to accommodate his schedule. Despite everything, he still values education and his curiosity of the world doesn’t stop him from staying up late to catch up on college’s assignments. Afterall, his childhood dream was to be a writer.

 

“Soooo...any girl who has successfully stolen Mark’s heart?” Elliot blurted as he munched on his hakao.

 

“Shhh! Someone might hear you” Calvin warned. He has always been very cautious about Mark’s celebrity status, but that’s only because he cares deeply.

 

Mark lets out hearty laugh, “Nah, no one at the moment”

 

Elliot’s eyebrow twitched as he continues to investigate, “Not at the moment? That means you had someone special and did not update us. What are you not telling us?”, he raised his chopsticks accusingly.

 

Mark decided to play along and makes them even more curious.

 

“Yeah, I had a lot of girlfriends. We all trained together when I was a trainee”

 

“A LOT OF GIRLFRIENDS?!”, Calvin choked and the two gave him a look before Mark passes him a glass of water.

 

“I meant girl friends, friends who are biologically female”, Mark explained.

 

“I bet one of them was special to you”, Elliot insisted.

 

Mark thought for a second as the two paused with their eyes popping out.

 

“I guess you could say that”

 

“Tell us everything!”, Calvin shrieked.

 

“Remember how my Korean back then?”, the two nodded impatiently.

 

“There was this British girl I quickly became friends with, as both of our Koreans .”, Mark continued, “it was just so easy to talk to her about everything. We are both global trotters and have no fear of the future”

 

“Is she an idol now? Red Velvet?”, Elliot cuts him off.

 

“Nope”

 

“Still in the company?”, Calvin added.

 

“Nope”

 

“THEN WHERE IS SHE--”

“She left the company 4 years ago, didn’t exactly tell me why she quit nor tell me she was leaving at all”

 

Elliot drank his water furiously as he’s so immersed in the story, “Can I have more water please?”, he asked the waiter as he signaled Mark to continue.

 

“Was that the last time you saw her?”, Calvin’s shoulders slumped.

 

“Actually, no”

 

Their eyes light up again as they bring their chairs closer.

 

“I saw her on TV 2 years ago”

 

“OHMYGOD”, the duo shirked a couple pitches higher than their normal range as they punch each other excitedly.

 

“It was a survival show, but she did not make it into the final team. So, I haven’t heard more from her since then”

 

“The amount of emotional rollercoaster you took us—” Calvin jabs on his gyoza and munched on the last one.

 

The three proceeds to get Taiyaki for dessert and walk around the pier.

 

“How long are you staying here this time?”, Elliot asked.

 

“’Till tomorrow. Then, I’m flying out to the Europe for my 2 weeks off”, Mark answered as his gaze fell on the stars.

 

“THAT MEANS---”, Calvin’s eyes widened.

 

“There’s a possibility that you might see her”, Elliot continues.

 

Mark just shrugged casually, “I don’t even know where she lives nor her contact”

 

Calvin and Elliot just slapped Mark’s back at the same time, “If you see her, then it’s meant to be. AND WE WON’T FORGIVE YOU IF YOU DON’T TELL US THIS TIME”

 

Mark chuckles as he looks down to his black boots.

 

‘Yeah, maybe’

 

Although he did not say it out loud, deep down, Mark wished he would see her deep dimples, hear her innocent giggles, and share her sun-like aura again.

 

___***___