005: Chapter 5

The Thriller Series: Book 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the day turned to night, foul weather seemed to darken the sky as well as Lim Hyunsik's mood. He felt as though his vacation was fading just as the daylight was. Why had he assumed that he would be home hours ago? He could have been fighting over food with his brother and starting to celebrate the holiday weekend with his family.

Bitterness welled up inside of him at the thought his younger brother would already be eating the feast without him. Would his family call him and beg him to return quickly? His mom had certainly slaved over and gone through many lengths to prepare them a meal. His father was probably anxious for him to arrive home so they could talk over music and politics.

"Enough day dreaming. Let's practice once more." Lim Hyunsik slowly swiveled his head around; his body turned slowly, obviously reluctant to do his bidding. He even thought about how unwilling he was to do his hyung's bidding. Beside him, his best friend, Jung Ilhoon complained loudly about what he was already thinking. They were all sweaty, tired and Hyunsik imagined that they were all as hungry as he was.

"Why is it practice again? Where is Peniel?" Ilhoon rose to his feet with the intention of fighting against practice. Hyunsik looked up at him while silently rooting for him. Maybe his friends could be persuaded to film another day. Perhaps after they returned from their holiday break.

"I don't know what is taking him so long, but what is wrong with practicing once more?"

"My feet are about to fall off, that is what is wrong." Ilhoon complained; Minhyuk squared up to him as he was ready to argue back.

"Eh! There is no need to fight, ok?"

Eunkwang was especially good at diffusing tense moments between the friends. He was often silly, making jokes and funny faces, to easily dry up uneasy moments. Hyunsik looked up to him for guidance and for the many moments he was able to deflect any hurt feelings into something easily laughable. Because of Eunkwang, stress and constant company didn't seem to interfere with their close friendship.

"Let's practice just once more, then we can go find Peniel. Hm?" Minhyuk suggested once more, a hopeful smile was rising on his face. Hyunsik watched as Ilhoon huffed once but nodded an agreement.Hyunsik gave one last longing look out the window and towards the darkening clouds, but moments later he was following suit by getting into the position that could only belong to him.

Ten minutes later, after they finished a run through their routine and a small discussion, Minhyuk finally allowed them to take a break. Hyunsik, though tired, offered his famous eye smile. He had retrieved his wallet from the seat he had occupied before, hoping that he could prolong his walk through the school to find a working vending machine. If he wasn't going to have a feast, the least he could do was find a snack.

"I'll go find Peniel!"

Ilhoon clambered towards him, eyeing the wal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter