001: Chapter 1

The Thriller Series: Book 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day was seasonably chilly and the clouds were promising rain all day, though they had yet to do so. However, at the prestigious and well known Brilliant Art Academy and Valliant Tech. Institute, the busy students hadn't seemed to notice the lousy weather but were instead cramming in last minute research and projects before the long weekend ahead of them began. The holiday was to be filled with food, family and a much needed break from the stress of their final projects that were to be due the next spring.

 

In classroom 222, four boys were actively working on the senior project that almost every student in the two schools were talking about. They were some of the most popular boys in the school since the first day of their first year and their senior project was expected to be of mind-blowing proportion compared to all the others senior projects. Knowingly, the boys had months before their project was due, but being so well known among students and staff, they wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than visually stunning and creatively unique. So the boys seemed to work harder and longer than anyone else.

 

“Ok, lets go again from the top.” Seo Eunkwang, the oldest among the small group, gave a friendly smile to his friends that were spread around the room. He gave a quick shake of his arms and legs, trying to keep them loose and prepared for the tough routine in store for them. He then turned slightly, the look on his face promising an attempt at a funny joke that he never could seem to resist from spilling to the rest of his friends. Closest to him, Lee Minhyuk, was the second in command of their small pack and he was returning Eunkwang's look with one of warning. This quickly sobered Eunkwang in returning to his starting position, staring at the wall sized mirror in front of them.

 

“Hyunsik, focus!” Minhyuk scolded the younger man, though they obviously weren't much different in age. Im Hyunsik usually was a quiet, stoic boy but tended to day dream. He was very much obsessed with outer-space, planets and spaceships, and it was a running joke that his mind was often in space. With a sheepish grin, Hyunsik replied to Minhyuk's demand with a bedazzling eye-smile and a quick jump to shake out his body.

 

Not far from Hyunsik stood Ilhoon, who composed the songs and usually his own rapping parts to them. He was quietly going over his lyrics, ignoring everything else around him while he stared at his own reflection in the large mirror in front of him and on occasion brush his bangs back into place behind his bandana.

 

After clearing his throat, and also checking his hair was in place, Minhyuk once again called for them to start from the top and almost instantly they fell into step, working on the dance routine that they had created; or rather Minhyuk had created several months prior. They were just about to get to the killing part of the dance, when the door to their studio popped open and in fell a petite man. Somehow, he managed to cradle a flask in one hand and a large, iced coffee in the other which survived his ungraceful entrance into the room.

 

The boys, who had worked so diligently at practicing, were suddenly unable to continue as their bodies racked with heaving spasms of laughter. They knew Lee Changsub to be quite helpless as he was always stumbling or creating messes. However, he was never weary about providing a strong cup of coffee or concoction of his own creation and usually had a treat or two to share with his closest companions.

Once regaining their composure, each of the boys turned towards Lee Changsub as he was finally regaining his footing. He didn't seem to mind that he had just been laughed at unabashedly, but smiled widely and his eyes shown with enthusiasm. Neither did he seem to mind that the eyes of many admiring female students were staring at him through the small window of the only entrance to the studio.

 

“You totally messed up our killing part!” Minhyuk huffed, pretending to be angrier than he was as he watched Changsub speed towards them. Changsub grinned, slightly aloof to his transgression upon his friends.

 

“Sorry! Sorry, but I just needed to come see all of you. I've done it!”

 

“Done what?” The softer voice made all five of the boys quickly look around the small room, eyeing each other as if asking if they had made the inquiry. It seemed that their eyes all found the culprit at the same time, finding that their friend, Peniel, was sitting in the corner of the room on a tiny bench looking as if he had been there for hours.

 

“How do you do that?” Ilhoon murmured, his eyes narrowing at the intruder. Peniel, slowly lifting his eyes from the camera he had been playing with, gave a slight tilt of his head and gave his friend a questioning look. “You always seem to appear out of no where.”

 

Shrugging and returning his attention to the camera in his hands, Peniel didn't seem it necessary to answer the question. He always felt as though most of his actions went unnoticed so believed his friends tended to oversee his coming and going, but thought it was best not to voice his opinion out loud in case he were to bring about an unneeded argument. Shin Peniel was the son of two Korean emigrants and had grown up in the United States of America for most of his life. Now that he had been attending school in Korea, he had found friends that now seemed like home to him, though he still kept his reservations. He worried about his conversational skills and that forced him to keep quiet most o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter