003: Chapter 3

The Thriller Series: Book 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ken stood outside the studio. Even though he had just banished himself from the room, his eyes were wide with wonder. Glancing down, he flexed his fingers and stared at them as if they weren't his own. As if he were feeling them for the first time. Life seemed to tingle throughout his entire being and for the first time he felt his smile push across his face. Why did it feel like he was glowing? Or was it that everything around him was glowing?

After a moment, he turned back to the studio door, staring at it as though it would turn into his personal gateway. It had already been one of his favorite places but now there was a specific reason for him to like it so much. He leaped back, however; there had been a sudden crash against the door and he could here the smile groans of pain on the other side of the door. He laughed silently in the hallway as he was only able to imagine what was going on inside. He pushed his ear to the door wondering if he could hear his friends and their shenanigans.

"I locked the door after Ken's departure. I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, we could get some practice done. Would you please allow us to do that?" Minhyuk's voice was stern, but Ken just knew he was trying to remain focused. The end of the year would be upon them fast and they all wanted their final projects to be finished and perfect as soon as possible. 

"Where are you going?" There had been small, light footsteps as someone walked towards the door. Ken was ready to push away and make a run for it when the footsteps stopped. Ilhoon's words had stopped whoever it had been in his tracks.

"We will need more film since I'm almost out. I just need to run to the dark room and I'll be right back." Peniel answered back politely, but his voice was the hardest to make out through the thick wooden door.

"Alright, that will buy us just enough time to get a practice run in. Into position!" Minhyuk ordered. and the small pitter-patter of footsteps continued. Ken, then, pushed himself away from the door and sprinted down the hallway till he assumed he was safe. It was then he redirected himself towards the technology school which was directly connected to the art institute.

"Hello." The voice was so unexpected that Ken froze mid-step. It was strange he hadn't noticed someone within such a close proximity to him. How could he be accompanied with someone and not notice it? Out of the corner of his eye, he found that the young woman had to peel herself away from the wall of the the conjoined hallway. The woman then began to stride in his direction which he turned his body to face her straight on. His eyes then narrowed as he recognized the woman. "Sorry for interrupting, but it seems that you are close to Yook Sungjae. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Ma HyoJi."

Ken stared at the woman though his own thoughts ran wild. He believed that his relationship with Yook Sungjae couldn't really be considered close. He barely even noticed the woman's dip of her head and the extension of her hand towards him; he was so completely lost in his own thoughts. Ignoring her actions, Ken turned and continued on his way. Ken didn't like her, there was something not quite right about her.

"Wait!" The woman, Ma Hyoji, commanded to his backside.

"I'm not yours to command!"

For the first time in his life, Ken had the strength to disobey and feel the fire within side of him to do his own will.

"You're similar to him! All I want is to know him, know more about him." Ma Hyoji was a whole head smaller than Ken, but she kept up without seeming to labored. When Ken made a sudden stop, she was only centimeters from bumping into him but quickly paced a step back. Ken slowly, and deliberately, turned in her direction and studied her face. She was attractive in her own way and with a blemish-free face. It was easy to tell that she was used to getting her way.

"You need to leave Ma-, Yook Sungjae alone." Ken snapped his jaw closed, as he was sure if he didn't he'd say something he wasn't supposed to. He needed to recompose himself before saying anything else. "If you really want to get to know Yook Sungjae, then I suggest you try not to take anything by force or for granted. Only when you are sincere in wanting to know his personality and his likes versus dislikes, that is when he will let you in."

Snapping his head in the direction of where he was headed, Ken missed the unbelieving and blistering look on Ma HyoJi's face. When there was no answer from her, he began on his way once again. He felt a moment of uncontrolled anger which he could never recall having before. The feeling almost made him pause his speed walking down the familiar hallway. However, he felt that Ma HyoJi was still tailing him closely. She wasn't willing to give up so quickly.

"Stop following me!"

"No!"

Their paces sped up until they were both running, almost childishly, down the hallways and taking sharp turns to cut through the corridor. It was the corridor that marked the difference between the Art Academy and the Technology Institute. By this time, Ken was fuming with anger as he slid to a stop. He had to bend over to regain his composure and only when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter