--TWELVE--

Tangled Webs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

__TWELVE__

 

On a rainy Saturday afternoon, Yoongi knocked on the door of his room, asking him if maybe, he would like to come to the studio for a recording session along with Jimin. He has a few demos he wants to test and play around with, and has previously handed him the lyrics without committing a time, saying dismissively that maybe he'll decide to throw them all to the garbage instead.

But as the rain platters heavy against the windows of their dorms, Yoongi finally made his decision it seems. And usually, Jungkook is happy to help his hyung out, really. But today, he wishes he'd ask Taehyung or Seokjin instead of him.

But Jungkook doesn't say any of this. He gives a positive answer to Yoongi, because in the end, saying no to Yoongi is impossible for him.

But still, he really wishes he could be anywhere else right now.

Or maybe just by himself. That would've been fine.

But Yoongi is a rather cunning man when he wants to be, and he knows that's what Jungkook wishes, and won't let him procrastinate and certainly not brood by himself. He most definitively planned this carefully, with skills only wield by Min Yoongi.

The rapper knows the air between the two vocalists has been tense for some time now and probably wants them to finally get over it once and for all.

What better opportunity to get them in the same place than inside the recording studio where they can't really ignore one another. And Yoongi gets some work done at the same time, a win-win situation for him.

Not so much for Jungkook because yes, he's been avoiding Jimin as much as possible while living and working alongside him, not always an easy task, especially since they've been constantly busy these past few months.

But he's gotten better at it. And has successfully parried all of s' attempts to reconcile their relationship.

Except for that time Taehyung invited the whole group to a karaoke evening and no one else but Jimin and Jungkook coincidentally showed up, leaving the two of them awkwardly alone inside the private room he'd rented for the night.

Before, it wouldn't have been an issue. They would've had a fun night filled with jokes and laughter. But now...

Now Jungkook has learned his lesson and doesn't trust Taehyung's polite invitations and friendly smiles anymore. And he wishes s wouldn't force them to work things out. He feels bad enough to have somehow ruined their impeccable teamwork, although he does think he's professional enough in his attitude whenever work is involved.

And professional he tries to be, with his polite face on as he steps inside Yoongi's studio, even if he wishes he could be somewhere else right now. And Jimin looks the same. Even with his poker face on, Jungkook knows him well enough to read behind the mask, to see how uncomfortable he actually is.

But that's not Jungkook's problem.

I can understand how hard it is for you, but don't be immature about this, Yoongi had warned him months ago, and Jungkook tries hard not to let his feelings affect their work, to follow his hyung's counsel.

"Jungkook? Are you ready?" Jimin asks, bringing back to his present situation. He looks at him, concerned, and always with a dose of apprehension in his eyes. It's ever so present these days whenever they're in the same room.

"Yeah." He nods at Yoongi sitting on the other side and the older man nods back.

They put their headphones on and when Yoongi judges them well in position, the music starts playing.

It starts well enough. Jungkook studied the lyrics for hours yesterday until they flew out of his mouth naturally, until he feels like he unearthed all of their secrets, although knowing Yoongi, he probably didn't. So when he starts to sing and goes through his verses, it sounds good, at least to his own ears.

Maybe that high note was too flat, maybe he could've held it longer. He might've not gone high enough at the end. Maybe he breathed too much in the middle. Things Yoongi will most definitively note, but that's okay, he'll do even better during the next take.

Jimin, on the other hand...messes up. A lot.

That's so unlike him that Jungkook momentarily forgets his resentment toward the older man as he stares at him with wide eyes. If maybe they're filled with a bit of worry, Jimin would never know since he's staring hard at his shoes. 

He steals a glance at Yoongi who's frowning. He's gently demanding that Jimin restart his part, but the following result is even worst than before.

Jungkook watches Yoongi gets up from his chair the moment Jimin stops singing, and he enters the recording room, almost hesitantly. Jimin immediately removes his headphone, speaking before Yoongi has the time to open his mouth. "I'm sorry. I know I messed up, I'm sorry."

"Are you...alright?"

"I'm fine... I'm sorry, I just... I messed up. Can we try again?"

"Of course."

Jimin turns his back to them, walks to the wall, hands fisted at his sides. He stands there for a moment, and Jungkook stares at the ground, giving him what little privacy he can. When he finally moves back in position, his eyes are clear, but his shoulders are slumped and it's with a dissatisfied sigh that he puts his headphone back on.

"Take your time," Yoongi calls through the microphone.

Several breaths later, Jimin finally nods toward Yoongi, and the music starts again.

The next try doesn't get worse at least, but there's no big improvement either. Yoongi is rubbing his fingers on his forehead, and Jungkook can only shuffle his feet as he listens to Jimin singing, uncomfortable.

The old Jungkook would've comforted Jimin, try to cheer him up with silly faces and bad jokes, maybe give him pointers. Now... now Jungkook can only watch as Jimin sings with no emotions, his voice so empty of feelings it hurts his heart.

That's not Jimin singing.

It's just the shell of Jimin's body going through the motions.

He stops mid-verse. Looks down, frowning at his shoes.

Yoongi stops the music, then gets up to join them inside the room once again. He carefully places a hand on Jimin's shoulder, but Jimin steps back with a shake of his head. "I'm sorry. You should ask Seokjin instead of me. I think he's free today."

And without waiting for a reply, he leaves. Without a look back, he leaves.

Jimin doesn't act this way, and Jungkook wishes he could stop caring, but he can't. Of course he can't. It's Jimin after all.

But he can't go after him either.

"Should I text hyung?" he asks instead, already reaching for his phone in his back pocket.

"Jungkook..."

"No? Okay, we can try again later, I don't mind."

"That's not the point here. I know things have been...estranged between you, and that's your business, but... hasn't he suffered enough? He misses you. He's hurting.

"I'm hurting too, hyung. I'm sorry, but I still can't look at him the same way. I want to get back to how things were, but that's not how it works."

With a tired smile, Yoongi beckons him to follow him out, hand massaging his temples.

Guilt once more rises up at the sight. He's worrying everyone and ruining their mood, but he's doing his best. Works hard every day to move forward with his life.

He hates seeing Jimin struggling, even if his feelings toward him are precarious.

He needs more time.

"You can replace me too if you want. I'd understand," he says softly as they enter the elevator to head down to the underground parking.

"I'm not replacing anyone. We're going to try another time, and we'll try as many times it takes until I'm satisfied. I chose both of you, it's going to be both of your voices on that damn demo."

The elevator dings as it reached its destination.

End of discussion.

Jungkook knows when he's being dismissed, so he grabs his bag and takes off, his manager scrambling to follow after him.

Once in the car, his manager asks him whether he's going to the dorm or his own place, and Jungkook is about to name the former when he pauses.

He grabs his phone and sends a quick text.

Today's been ty on so many levels, he just wants to forget about it all.

He doesn't need to wait too long for the answer.

Can't, we have a photo shoot.

His mood plummets down.

"My place."

If he can't see Chaeyoung, he isn't interested in being with anyone else that might be at the dorm right now. Jimin probably escaped somewhere else, but everyone will know by now that they were supposed to record today, and he's not interested in their questions.

Traffic is fluid so before long he's already there, thanking his manager before leaving, nodding to the security guard standing next to the elevator.

His apartment, when he enters, is silent.

He stands in the middle of his living room, and for a rare moment in his life, has no idea what to do.

It's a nice apartment, spacious with large windows and modern furniture, with paintings and decorations chosen by a professional that all fit well together.

There are personal touches, like some picture frames with his family, his friends, and s. But his games and music collection are all at the dorm, except a few stranglers he brought back the last time he was here.

He likes and hates it here.

He yearns for solitude sometimes, but wishes s were around when he's alone here.

He would sometimes invite Jimin over with him, and those were some of his favorite moments in this place.

Those days are long gone.

Unnerved, he reaches into the pocket of the jacket he hasn't even bothered to remove and takes his pack of cigarettes, lighting up one immediately.

The first drag is divine. He lets his head fall back on the couch's cushion, eyes closed.

If Seokjin could see him now, he would nag at him endlessly at how unhealthy this was, how stupid of him as a singer to smoke really. Just like his mother would.

But he's been so stressed lately, and usually drinking with his friends helps relieve some tension, but he can't always drink, so he started smoking.

Nicotine calms his mind, helps him relax.

Lately, Park Chaeyoung has been helping him relax too.

But now he's alone. Alone with his thoughts.

He sighs, closing his eyes to hide the view of his empty apartment, and tries to imagine himself elsewhere.

He shouldn't have come here.

But instead of leaving, he falls deeper on the couch and opens the TV on a random channel, lighting up a second cigarette when the first one is finished.

An American movie is playing and he decides to watch it because there's nothing else to do, and if he doesn't do something, he'll keep on thinking, and he doesn't want to think.

He just wants to forget.

 

<><><>

 

Over the course of the next month, the girls slowly start to become accustomed to Hoseok arriving at their dorm in the evening and eating breakfast with them the next morning. Sometimes he comes thrice a week, sometimes they don't see him for a whole week.

After enduring endless torture from her members, Jisoo finally confessed that she initiated a kiss during a dance coaching session, a rather impulsive action for her part as she admitted. But he reciprocated and then, she quoted, we couldn't keep our hands off each other after that. She insists that they're not dating, just enjoying each other's company in more than one way.

She said all this like it's no big deal, but in the six years they've lived together, it's still the first time she brought a boy back home. But her members don't confront her about it. Even Jennie is being supportive.

They have all grown to like Jung Hoseok. It's impossible not to after seeing him smile a few times. Maybe even after just once.

It's also always him who comes over, she's never been to his dorm. He says it's easier this way since she has her own room and he doesn't.

It's all very cute. And Jisoo, who is always a person who gives a smile easily, is definit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter