Chapter 4-2

Alpha Couple

Normally, when Jongin suspected he was about to do something stupid, he checked in with Kyungsoo. His mate was not shy about telling him if he had a terrible idea. Though, usually in a gentle manner. For obvious reasons, he could not talk to Kyungsoo about going behind his back to give money to his ty alpha-father.

Jongin felt nauseous as he got off the plane and made arrangements for his luggage to be delivered home tomorrow. It was past ten at night and he didn’t want to accidentally wake up Soojin when he got home. She’d never go back to sleep until she found out what he brought her and at least two of the suitcases were new clothes for her.

His nerves felt raw as he took a taxi to meet his mother’s secretary to pick up the money. He hadn’t liked calling his mother, but she agreed to help, once and only once, after he explained the situation. Well, no. She agreed to help him only once with money. If he ever wanted to consider a more final solution, Kyungri Kim knew people, and she did not want that kind of influence around her only grandchild. Jongin didn’t bother telling her she needn’t worry, Hyoen had no interest in his grandchild.

It was nearly midnight when Jongin arrived at a bar called Limelight where he agreed to meet Hyoen. The place was a dive that Jongin wouldn’t have spent time in even in his wildest days. The sort of place were alphas gathered and violence simmered under the surface just waiting for a reason to explode. If he got a black eye... He didn’t know who he would be in more trouble with, Kyungsoo or his agency. He kept on his sunglasses as he went inside, which drew some attention since it was night and dim in the bar, but hopefully covered enough of his face no one would recognize him.

It took all of Kai’s confidence to walk in like he was supposed to be there, scanning the room. As he expected, the customers were all alphas, and the betas providing service looked nervous. To his left was an empty DJ station and rows of pool tables. And he would have sworn he saw Sehun lining up a shot at one of them, not that Jongin had time to be neighborly and say hi. To his right were booths and a bunch of tables on what looked like it could be cleared to be a dance floor, and a bar, which Hyoen was belly up to.

Jongin wanted to dislike so much as the sight of Hyoen, but it was hard with how much the alpha looked like Kyungsoo. Or at least Kyungsoo in another twenty-five years. Though Jongin suspected Kyungsoo would have more worry lines around his eyes and less of an extended gut, and not be on the outs of a second mating.

Hyoen must have felt him approaching, because he looked over his shoulder. Disgust flashed in his eyes, but he plastered on that phony smile of his as he raised his glass in salute to Jongin. His eyes were glossy with intoxication, meaning dealing with him was going to be even more of a trial. “Wasn’t sure if a fancy fella like you would show in this part of the city,” he said as he emptied the glass and slammed it down on the bar, making the beta bartender jump. “Have a drink?”

Then why suggest it as a meeting place, Jongin would have asked anyone else, but he just wanted to have this done, be out of Hyoeon’s company, and at home with his family. “Let’s do this outside,” he said, nodding over his shoulder at the entrance.

“Not sure it’s safe to go out into the dark with you, Kai,” Hyoen said with a nasty chuckle, like Jongin didn’t know what he was insinuating.

Jongin flashed one of his seductive smiles as he leaned in close and put an arm around Hyoen. He felt the other alpha’s shoulders stiffen as he nearly choked on the fake pheromone cologne favored by alphas of a certain age. Now there was a fad Jongin was glad he missed. “Listen, doll,” he said, not lowering his voice. Several sets of eyes flashed toward them. “You’re the one who wants something good from me, aren’t you? You coming outside or not?”

Hyoen shoved his arm off and a challenge virtually radiated from him. Jongin hoped Kyungsoo’s father called him out. If a fight started, it wouldn’t be the first punch he’d ever thrown, but it would likely be the most satisfying. However, the need for money outweighed Hyoen’s alpha pride as he stifled his rage and followed Jongin out of the bar. People watched, and now Jongin was sure one of the alphas at the pool tables was Sehun. He didn’t have time to wonder if Sehun recognized him.

It was drizzling as they walked outside and far enough away from the bar Jongin was sure no one followed them.

“Don’t bother Kyungsoo any more,” Jongin said as he handed over cash and a prepaid credit card. “Pay your debts and try not to lose the rest.”

“This is going to give me a new start,” Hyoen said with a gleam in his eyes, and Jongin wouldn’t be surprised if he lost it all tonight.

“Good luck,” he said, grudgingly meaning it, if only for Kyungsoo’s sake.

Jongin watched Hyoen pocket the cash and card as he headed back to the bar. He hoped to feel relieved when it was over and done, but Hyoen’s company and the smell of cologne clinging to him made Jongin feel slimy. He couldn’t shake the guilt of doing something like that without telling Kyungsoo. Hopefully a good night sleep would fix it. He shook his head and walked a little further to catch a taxi.

It was just after one in the morning when he arrived at their building and made it upstairs. He snorted that the infamous Kai was tired so early in an evening as he tossed his sunglasses and jacket on the couch and went to look in on Soojin. His baby girl was flipped the wrong way on her bed in a nest of stuffed animals. When his luggage arrived tomorrow, she’d have a new friend.

Jongin felt a twitch in his cheek. Hyoen hadn’t even asked about her.

He shut the door of her room and headed toward his own, surprised and delighted to see a light streaming under the door. “Bad dream, Soo?” came Kyungsoo’s rich voice as Jongin pushed the door open.

“Nope. Out like a light,” Jongin said, stepping inside.

Kyungsoo was reading on the chair in the corner and jerked his head up, eyes wide. Then he smiled, plush lips pulling wide and corners of his eyes crinkling. “Jongin,” he said, setting his book down and getting up. “Thought you weren’t back until tomorrow.”

“Took an earlier flight,” Jongin said as he flashed a rakish grin and shut the door.

“How many new suitcases do we own?” Kyungsoo asked with a smirk.

“You’ll find out when my luggage is delivered. One of them has new clothes for you,” Jongin informed him, feeling so much better after seeing his mate.

“I wish you’d give up trying to make me a fashion plate when I’m a doctor,” Kyungsoo said as he walked over. “But I appreciate your effort.”

“Say that when my luggage shows up.”

Kyungsoo chuckled as he gave Jongin a kiss, his lips soft and warm, a hint of his tongue on Jongin’s lower lip. Then his nose crinkled and he pulled back, sniffing the front of Jongin’s shirt.

“What is it?” Jongin asked, feeling his heart start to pound.

“That... scent,” Kyungsoo said with a grimace, shaking his head as he drew away. He covered his nose. “Sorry. It’s the same smell my alpha-father always wears.”

Jongin was sure the pounding of his heart was audible. He considered lying about someone one the plane, but he felt guilty enough without lying to his mate’s face. “I’ll jump in the shower,” he said instead, immediately starting to strip. “Be right back.”

He barely managed to keep from running to their bathroom, throwing his clothes into the shower first and wringing them out before he washed himself. Jongin mentally cursed Hyoen and his damn cologne as he shampooed his hair a second time and slathered himself with body wash for a third. By the time he got out he couldn’t smell anything other than shampoo, soap, and body wash, and he hoped Kyungsoo wouldn’t either.

The lights were out in their bedroom when Jongin reemerged with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. So much for his entrance. His eyes took a moment to adjust, but the curtains were open and city light was enough to see by. Kyungsoo had changed out of the striped pajamas he was wearing when Jongin arrived and was lying on the bed with an arm over his face. Jongin felt a twinge of guilt.

“Did I give you a headache?” he asked.

“Not your fault,” Kyungsoo said, not knowing it was, which made it all worse. He gave Jongin a smile as he patted the bed next to him. “That scent is... triggering.”

Jongin climbed onto the bed next to his mate and kissed Kyungsoo’s forehead. “I’m sorry,” he said with feeling as he lay on his hip and cuddled against Kyunsoo’s side. Kyungsoo had changed into the black silk pajamas, which, if Kyungsoo were going to have clothes on in bed, were Jongin’s favorite. “Do I smell better?”

Kyungsoo took a sniff and smiled. “Rose body wash and you, much better.”

Jongin let out a breath. “I know we texted everyday, but how were things while I was gone?” he asked as he ran a hand over his mate’s stomach.

“Soojin’s been having bad dreams, she’s sure a monster is in her room, and work’s been hectic,” Kyungsoo said, resting his hand over Jongin’s. “I’m over-stressed and may need one of those vacations you talk about.”

“Where do you want to go?” Jongin said as he nuzzled Kyungsoo’s neck. “What’s the fantasy destination?”

“Somewhere warm. Maybe Hawaii.”

“We just found out we were pregnant with Soojin before our last trip,” Jongin said, his heart pounding as he thought about reliving that. “It was a nice way to celebrate.”

“Mm, I wonder if that same rental is still available. Soojin would love playing on the beach.”

“Kyungsoo?”

“Hm?”

“Have you ever thought about... wondered if we...”

“If we?” Kyungsoo prompted.

Jongin flexed his fingers against Kyungsoo’s stomach. The moment wasn’t perfect, but he could be spontaneous. He his lips as he lifted his head and shifted so he was over Kyungsoo, his chest on top of Kyungsoo’s. His mate’s eyes widened and his lips parted. “Kyungsoo,” Jongin said, putting all the feeling he could into his lover’s name. “There’s something I want.”

“What?” Kyungsoo asked, breathless, quiet, and looking a little... scared?

The room was eerily silent as Jongin fumbled for the words, opening his mouth and then pursing his lips. He took a deep breath, but before he could say a word there was a creak in the hallway followed by the door swinging open. “Dad, I had a bad dream again,” Soojin said with a sniffle as Jongin pushed to a sitting position, grabbing a hold on the towel to keep it around his waist. She blinked and then her eyes lit up. “Daddy! Your’re back!”

Their daughter leapt onto the bed and bounced into his chest. Jongin caught her with one arm as Kyungsoo chuckled, reaching over to help secure the towel so Jongin could give Soojin a squeeze with both arms. “Hey baby-Soo, did you have a not nice dream?” he asked, nuzzling her cheek. He wasn’t sure if he was upset or relieved she interrupted them.

She nodded as she looked up at him with big wide eyes that looked so much like Kyungsoo’s. “Something was in my room and it scared me. And the door was shut!”

“That was me, baby,” Jongin said. “I looked in on you and shut it.”

“Nothing is in your room, Soo,” Kyungsoo said as he sat up and let Jongin pass her over. “We’ll go search while Daddy finishes getting ready for bed.”

“Can’t I sleep here?” Soojin asked in a whine, holding onto Kyungsoo tight.

“You’re a big girl. You need to learn to sleep in your own bed,” Kyungsoo said as he glanced questioningly at Jongin, who had retreated off the bed and nearly to the closet. “What do you think?”

Jongin met his mate’s eyes and was fairly sure this wasn’t one of those moments where Kyungsoo was asking him to back up a parenting decision. “Your Dad is right,” he said as he slipped into the walk-in closet and out of sight, dropping his towel and grabbing a pair of shorts. He pulled on a T-shirt as he came back out. “But tonight is a special night, since I just got home.” Soojin eyes were big and excited and Kyungsoo didn’t look surprised. “So, as long as you promise to stay in your bed tomorrow night, you can sleep here, okay?”

“Okay,” Soojin said with a grin, and then looking up at Kyungsoo. “Can we make sure nothing is in there tomorrow, too?”

“Of course,” Kyungsoo said, her hair. “Every night, if you need.”

Soojin wiggled out of Kyungsoo’s arms and crawled under the blankets in the center of the bed to claim her spot. Her eyes started drifting shut almost as soon as her head touched the pillow. “Welcome home,” Kyungsoo said as they settled in on either side of her, and Jongin realized he was an idiot because this meant he would not be holding his mate tonight. Kyungsoo smirked as he leaned over their dozing child and kissed the side of Jongin’s neck. “Just figured the logistical problem, didn’t you?”

“You have a headache anyway,” Jongin grumbled as he pulled the blanket up over Soojin’s shoulder.

“I’m glad you’re home,” Kyungsoo said with a yawn. “I missed you.”

“I wasn’t even gone for a week,” Jongin said, frowning. Maybe it was tiredness, but he would have sworn there was something off in Kyungsoo’s voice. “Soo?”

“Sleep,” Soojin mumbled between them. “Shhh.”

“She’s right. Good night, Jongin,” Kyungsoo said in a hushed voice, leaving Jongin to stare into the dark and wonder if there had been something or if it was his guilt.

---

Comments appreciated. ^_^