Chapter 2-2

Alpha Couple

The television was blaring some children's show when Jongin returned to their apartment. He ran a hand through his sweat damp hair as he walked into the living room and found Soojin curled up on the couch, surrounded by a harem of her stuffed animals. She had Fred hugged to her chest and a blanket wrapped around her shoulders as she looked at him. Kyungsoo was nowhere in sight.

"Hey, baby-Soo," Jongin said as he moved Hunter, a beta panda, and Sunmi, an alpha kitten, out of the way and sat down next to her. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," she said as she looked up at him. "My nose is running and my tummy still hurts. But I don't think I'm gonna get sick anymore."

"Glad to hear it," Jongin said as he the messy hair away from her face.

Her brows knit and she stuck out her lower lip as she met his eyes. "I'm sorry I messed up your special time with Dad."

So was Jongin.

He made himself smile as he tucked a few strands of hair behind one ear. "It's not your fault, sweetie, but thank you for caring," he said as he made an exaggerated look around, as if just noticing Kyungsoo's absence. "Where is your dad?"

"He's taking a shower," she said, sniffling and trying to clear her nose. She crinkled her nose. "You should shower too, Daddy. You stink."

"That's not nice to say," Jongin informed her, even as the corners of his mouth lifted.

"It's true," she said. She was at that charming age of being contrary, where civil little lies were beyond her comprehension.

"How can you tell?" Jongin demanded, pinching her nose. "You're all stuffed up."

She swatted at his hand and giggled before flashing him a huge smile, dark eyes glittering. She was going to be gorgeous when she grew up. Of course, both her parents were, so Jongin figured it was genetic destiny. Kyungsoo would have said he was vain. "Because you smell really, really bad, Daddy," Soojin said, waving her hand like she was batting the scent away.

"You know, your dad likes how I smell," Jongin informed her.

"He has to," Soojin said with the age old wisdom of her five years. "Because you're mates."

It was definitely too early to try and explain scent was how a lot of people found mates, so he leaned over and gave her a kiss on the head. "You're so right. Dad has to love how stinky I am."

Soojin laughed and then started coughing. Jongin gave her a tissue and rubbed her back through the blanket; he heard her stomach gurgle. "Do you want to try and eat something?"

She produced one of her old sippy cups from inside the blanket to show him. She'd outgrown them, but Kyungsoo kept them around for times like this, when she was sick and prone to spilling regular glasses. "Dad says he'll make something tasty and nut-nutritious for me and Fred after his shower," she said, squeezing the bunny to her. "If I don't get throw up my water."

Jongin smiled. "He used to do the same for me when I was sick, way, way back before you were born." Of course, for him it hadn't been sickness, but frequent hangovers from too much partying. Those hangovers felt worth it when his head was pounding and resting on one of Kyungsoo's strong thighs, Kyungsoo rubbing his back. "Will you be okay for a little bit if I go shower, too?"

Soojin nodded distractedly, something on the television having stolen her attention. "You should tell Dad to wash you so you're not so gross and sweaty anymore."

Jongin smiled because that sounded like a fantastic idea. "I'll let him know you said so."

---

Hope everyone is safe and healthy! Comments are appreciated.