Chapter 1-4

Alpha Couple

The ride to his mother and stepmother's apartment felt like an eternity.

Kyungsoo tapped his fingers on the door as Jongin drove. He stared out the window at the city scenery passing and attempted not to fret. Not only for Soojin's health, but for his mother. Mihi was an omega with an irregularly weak immune system and too much heart not to tend her ailing grandchild. Hopefully Eunjung would intercede, she was an alpha and had that adult alpha immune system to protect her.

He let out a sigh as he leaned his head against the headrest and turned to look at Jongin's perfect profile, at that straight nose and pretty lips. "Is there something you want to talk to me about?" he asked to distract himself.

Jongin straightened and didn't take his eyes off the road, pursing those pretty lips. "What makes you ask?"

Kyungsoo let out a snort. "Because I know you. You have a specific approach when you want to talk to me about something difficult."

"You mean I try to you first," Jongin said with a smirk, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Pretty much," Kyungsoo replied, though it wasn't quite that simple. There was a whole dance to it, and usually ended in him giving in.

Jongin laughed, but his amusement faded away quickly. "I'm... just waiting for the right moment."

"Is it health related?" Kyungsoo asked. Jongin had gone in for a physical a couple weeks ago.

He shook his head. "No, no. I'm in fantastic health. And it's nothing bad," he said with a shake of his head. Then he between his lips. "At least I don't think it is. I... want the right moment to talk to you about it."

Kyungsoo was not a fan of surprises and secrets, but he let it drop with a sigh.

For now.

Partly because he knew he couldn't badger Jongin into telling him if the other alpha had his mind set on a 'perfect' moment. Getting engaged had been a nightmare. Jongin kept showing every sign of wanting to be formal mates and the intention to ask and then not asking and not asking and not asking, and eventually Kyungsoo asked him. They had a huge fight because Jongin was waiting for a 'perfect' moment and Kyungsoo had gone and ruined it.

Partly because they were pulling into the garage under his mother and Eunjung's apartment building. Kyungsoo got out of the car as soon as it was stopped; he barely remembered to hold the elevator for Jongin.

The door of the apartment opened when they were walking down the outside hallway. His mother must have been watching the monitor, and Kyungsoo was glad to see the omega had taken the precaution of wearing a medical mask. "How is Soojin?" Kyungsoo asked as he stepped into the apartment.

"Feverish," she answered, waving for him to go to Soojin. "In the guest room. She got sick again and Eunjung is trying to settle her."

"I'll go get her," Kyungsoo said, heading for the guest room as Jongin stepped into the apartment.

"Radiant as ever, Mihi," Jongin said, charmingly flirtatious. "I like the look. You might start a new fashion trend."

"Oh, you!" Mihi laughed, slapping his shoulder. "I doubt old omega in a mask will be the hot look next season or however you tell time in fashion."

Kyungsoo was already turning the corner when he heard his mother ask Jongin, "Did you get to ask him yet?" and Jongin reply, "Not yet." Sometimes it felt like his mother and mate were plotting against him. Of course, they probably were. In the most loving manner possible.

He made his way to his old bedroom, redone in purple for when Soojin stayed over. Kyungsoo knocked as he opened the door and found Eunjung sitting on the bed, rocking Soojin as the little alpha sniffled and whined she was sorry. There was an acid scent of vomit in the air and Kyungsoo quickly figured out Soojin was apologizing because she had just gotten sick again on Eunjung's shoulder.

"Glad you're here. Little Soo has a pretty high fever," Eunjung said as Kyungsoo came over. "It came on all of a sudden after dinner."

"Soojin, sweetie," Kyungsoo said, running hand over his daughter's back.

"I got sick," Soojin said as she turned to look at him with teary eyes. Her face was flush. "I got sick a lot."

"I know. It's okay," he said as he took her from Eunjung. She twisted in his arms to wrap all her limbs around him and hid her face in the collar of his jacket. She was radiating heat. "Daddy and I are here to take you home."

"Can I sleep in your bed?" she asked, sniffling.

"All right," Kyungsoo said, bouncing her in his arm. That was not going to be Jongin's favorite parenting decision, but Jongin would answer the same if she asked him first. "We'll get some medicine and your bunny, and if you're not feeling better in the morning, we'll go see a doctor."

"You're a doctor."

"I'm a doctor for babies and people going to have babies," he said, kissing her temple, "and you're not a baby, you're a young lady."

Soojin bobbed her head at his accurate assessment as she hiccupped and squeezed her limbs around him. "Dad, I want to go see the flowers tomorrow. I don't wanna be sick..."

It took Kyungsoo a moment to remember his mother and Eunjung had been planning to take Soojin to botanical gardens. "I'm sure grandma and Eunnie will have you over again to take you to see the flowers."

"That's right," Eunjung said, standing up and shrugging out of the sweater Soojin had been sick on. "We'll go when you feel better."

Kyungsoo smiled appreciatively at Eunjung and whispered, "Thanks."

Kyungsoo was grateful his mother met such a kind, loving alpha after the dissolution agreement with his alpha-father. He had been a brat of a fifteen year old at the time, protective of his frail omega mother, and unsure about having another alpha be a part of her life. Eunjung handled him well. She asked for his permission to take his mom as a mate. It made him feel involved. As an adult, he knew it had really been none of his business.

Eunjung started putting Soojin's stuff in her backpack while Kyungsoo carried his daughter out to where Jongin and his mother were still idling by the door. Their looks of concern matched as they stopped whatever conversation they were having and turned to him.

"Is she going to be all right?" his mother asked worriedly, clasping her hands and pushing up on her toes in that nervous way she did.

Jongin stepped forward and motioned he could carry Soojin, but Kyungsoo shook his head as he rubbed their daughter's back. She had a stranglehold on him, and both her little fists balled in the collar of his coat to make sure he didn't set her down. Mostly she was a good child, but sometimes she was clingy, especially with him. The first day of school had been a nightmare of tears and attempts to grab hold so Kyungsoo and Jongin couldn't leave. Hopefully she grew out of it before her alpha strength began to develop.

"She'll be all right," Kyungsoo said to his mother. "She's at that age where alpha children are most susceptible to illness."

Mihi shook her head and reached up to pat his cheek. "You say it like everyone knows alpha children get sick lots before their immune systems develop." She pinched his cheek. "I was so sure I'd done something wrong when you were a boy. My little alpha, always getting sick." Kyungsoo smiled.

"But look how well he turned out," Jongin said. "A handsome doctor with a gorgeous mate and cute daughter. Excellent work, Mihi."

Kyungsoo gave Jongin a loving glance over Soojin's head. It made him adore his mate all the more for how nice Jongin could be to his mother. Mihi deserved praised for raising him alone, if only for putting up with his obnoxious teenage alpha phase. That couldn't have been easy as an omega.

Eunjung came out with Soojin's backpack and jacket, handing them to Jongin before putting her arm around Mihi's shoulder. "Call us in the morning and let us know how Soojin is doing," she said, bumping her head against her mate's. "Or this one will worry herself sick."

"I will," Kyungsoo promised. Soojin started coughing and nearly gagged, clutching at him. "Shh, it's okay, Soo."

"Come on," Jongin said, draping Soojin's jacket over her for warmth. "Let's get you home.“

--

Thanks for comments! I appreciate them!