Chapter 1-2

Alpha Couple

Kyungsoo conferred with one of the nurses outside examination room 109 as he was given a patient chart for Kim, Minseok.

Minseok was the patient referred by Dr. Moon. Jongin's rabid dislike of the doctor was understandable considering their past interaction, but Dr. Moon did refer patients accordingly. No matter his personal prejudice against 'unnatural' conception.

Kyungsoo glanced over the forms filled out by Minseok and the vitals the nurse had taken. Beta. Early twenties. Impregnated by an alpha. An estimated two months along. His own birth-parent suffered bouts of depression and gestational hypertension during pregnancy. The latter meant they were going to need to be very attentive to Minseok's blood pressure. He was underweight for his height, which was concerning at two months along.

He made a note he wanted complete blood work done to ensure there were no other health concerns. Then he knocked on the door and let himself into the examination room. "Hello, I'm Dr. Do," he said, flashing an awkward smile. "You're Minseok Kim?"

The beta was young and as nervous as Kyungsoo guessed he would be. "Yes," Minseok said, managing a wan smile as he kept bunching the front hem of the examination gown where it lay over his knees. His thin wrists said more about his weight loss being sudden than anything else.

He sat on the chair in the corner of the room instead of on the examination table. That was normal. The exam table was cold and clinical, with shifting panels and stirrups. To people ignorant of its function it looked like some kind of furniture, or so Kyungsoo had been informed more than once.

Omegas didn't blink twice. Due to their reproductive biology, every checkup involved the exam table. Betas only saw this kind of exam room in the case of a trouble pregnancy or if they were receiving fertility treatment. Alphas were the worst about it, of course. Jongin's reaction was to take one look and declare he was going to have his child in the woods, like a wolf, just as nature intended. It led to one of their few alpha 'pissing' matches. Kyungsoo hadn't felt good about winning, but considering that exam let them know Jongin wouldn't be able to deliver naturally and probably saved his and Soojin's lives, Kyungsoo couldn't regret being a stereotypical alpha bully.

Kyungsoo sat on a rolling stool a polite distance from his patient. "I was looking over your chart..."

They spent some time going over the information Minseok provided and discussing the vitals the nurse had taken. He admitted a tendency to be underweight, but the last few months his personal life had been stressful and he had no appetite.

"For both you and the fetus, eating regularly is important," Kyungsoo said as he made notes. "I'll have my nurse print out a diet plan to get your weight up healthily."

"Thank you," Minseok said.

"Would you mind having some blood drawn? I'd like to do a full panel to get a better idea of your overall health."

"Sure."

Kyungsoo tapped his pen against the chart. Minseok rubbed his hands together between his knees. He seemed an honest sort, but he wouldn't look at Kyungsoo for more than a moment without averting his eyes. Kyungsoo didn't need over ten years experience in the field of obstetrics to know his patient wasn't telling him everything Kyungsoo needed to know.

"Minseok," he said softly. "Is there something you want to let me know?"

Kyungsoo was very careful not to react when Minseok drew his shoulders up and ducked his head down. "It... might not be Jongdae's."

"Jongdae is your alpha partner?"

"Yes."

"Can you tell me about the other possible parent?" he asked.

Minseok silently stared at the ground.

Kyungsoo set the chart on the counter and folded his hands in his lap. Sometimes it put patients on edge to see him notating everything, or so Jongin said. "Minseok, I'm not here to judge you or your choice in partners or any other choice. My priority is to ensure you and your child are healthy. To do that, I need all the information that might affect how I treat you medically, okay?"

Minseok nodded and his lips. "I-I'm not cheating on Jongdae," he said firmly, "but it could be Luhan's. He's also our partner."

It would not be Kyungsoo's first patient to have multiple partners and be uncertain which impregnated them. "Is he also an alpha?" Kyungsoo asked. It was usually alphas having decided to share a mate in these cases.

"An omega."

Kyungsoo was glad for his stone face. That, honestly, was a new one on him. "Ah."

"He's also pregnant," Minseok said, still looking at his hands.

"Was he pregnant when you conceived?"

"No. Shortly after," Minseok said, lifting his gaze to look at Kyungsoo. "Why?"

"Due to the hormones of pregnancy, someone who is pregnant can't impregnate another. We could have ruled him out if he had been."

"Oh."

Kyungsoo managed a bit of a smile. The poor beta was clearly feeling overwhelmed and seemed to have a nervous personality besides. "Minseok, I promise I am here to help you. For now, let's assume your alpha... Jongdae? Let's assume he impregnated you, because omegas have a statistically minimal chance of it. But I will do some research and have more answers for you on that next time, all right?" Minseok nodded. "For today, I'd like to have that blood panel drawn and do a cursory physical exam."

Minseok's eyes made a nervous dart toward the exam table, and Kyungsoo kept talking to draw his attention back. "That will be necessary eventually, not today. I can tell you about what I do in a thorough exam first, and I invite you to bring you partners at that time." Not that Kyungsoo enjoyed having an alpha growling at him as he examined their mate in intimate places. He sympathized, of course. He hadn't realized he had a jealous streak until Jongin was pregnant and he was holding his mate's hand while some other alpha was touching him in the places only Kyungsoo felt entitled. But if it would make Minseok feel more comfortable to have his alpha or omega partners with him, Kyungsoo could handle it. "Or any of your appointments, so long as you are comfortable with them hearing about your personal medical information."

Minseok exhaled. "Okay."

They were getting somewhere now. Kyungsoo needed Minseok to trust him. It was incredibly important his patients trusted him. They were at his clinic because of factors causing their pregnancies to be or become high risk, and that meant trusting him to change their care plan rapidly. "For our next appointment. I want you to write a list of questions for me. I'm sure every one you had today has already flown out of your head."

This time Minseok actually managed a gummy smile. "I kind of forgot everything when the nurse was taking my blood pressure."

Kyungsoo smiled back. He didn't have the most comforting bedside manner like Boa and Hoseok, but Jongin promised, even if his mate had a clear bias, he had a feel of authoritative professionalism and a nice smile that made up for it. "But for now, let's talk about getting your weight up...“

--

Comments appreciated!