Telling You

The One Thing I Didn't Count On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae was pleasantly surprised at how quickly he and Hyukjae's friendship developed over the course of a few days. He wasn't expecting for the two of them to be as close as they were now but he was more than happy to have the other by his side. For the first time in a long while, he has someone he can truly call his best friend. Someone he knows he can rely on when things get tough or someone to call when he just doesn't want to be alone.

Donghae has been so comfortable around Hyukjae that in the short amount of time that they've known each other, he had already spilled secrets to Hyukjae that not even Kyuhyun or Donghwa knows. He just hoped that Hyukjae would do the same with him. 

"Come on! Tell me already," Donghae begged for the fourth time that afternoon. 

Hyukjae shrugged him off his shoulder as he continued to pack his things inside his bag. "I told you already, Hae. It's nothing."

"It's not nothing!" Donghae pouted then crossed his arms across his chest in further protest. "I didn't punch Jihyun in the face for it to not be anything."

Hyukjae couldn't help the chuckle that came out of him at the memory of Jihyun's horrified face but then remembered that he was supposed to be reprimanding Donghae for such callous behavior. It took him a good three seconds to regain his composure and give Donghae a scolding look. 

"And like I told you before, don't do it again. To anyone"

"Well, then tell me why!"

"There's nothing to tell!"

"Yes, there is," Donghae urged slightly getting annoyed that Hyukjae refuses to share his secret-but-not-secret with him.

"Look, Donghae, they're just a bunch of idiots who thinks they know something when they don't, so just drop it, ok?"

Donghae's stubborn side wouldn't let him. 

"Fine! If you won't tell me then I'll just go ask Jihyun myself." Donghae turned around and headed for the door. He knew he was just frustrated and had no actual plans to talk to someone he just assaulted himself but Hyukjae didn't know that. In fact, it surprised Donghae when he suddenly felt a tight grip on his arm as Hyukjae grabbed him with both hands and yanked him back in place.

He looked back and was surprised to see the distress and panic on his best friend's face. "Hae, Don't." He vaguely heard Hyukjae mumble. Donghae's resolve started to waiver.

 Always the sensitive one, and just seeing Hyukjae like that, his face covered with panic and distress, hurt him. Donghae could tell that whatever it was that Jihyun had on the other,, must really be worth the punch he gave to the other if it scared Hyukjae this much.. He took a deep breath and sighed slowly knowing that he would have to disregard that itch in his brain to know Hyukjae's secret and give in to the other. 

"Fine," Donghae said and he physically saw Hyukjae's relief, "But!" Hyukjae looked up at Donghae's follow up condition. "You have to promise to tell me later, okay?"

Hyukjae bit his bottom lip but nevertheless nodded his head. Donghae smiled and immediately changed his tone back to his old cheery self as he grabbed his things and dragged Hyukjae to the cafeteria with him. Neither one said anything about it anymore even though in the back of their minds the issue remained. Donghae urged himself to wait patiently for Hyukjae to directly tell him whatever it was he thinks he needed to hide from everyone.

 Hyukjae dreaded how he was gonna tell Donghae about his past and greatly worried that once the truth was exposed,, there was no way he would not lose him in the process. 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Hyukjae was changing out of his P.E. uniform in the locker room when three boys walked up to him. He immediately backed himself up against his locker which was a bad move considering they now have him cornered. 

"So, you're the new homo kid everyone's been talking about."

Hyukjae tried not to flinch at his insult as he figured out a way to escape. 

"You know Donghae used to be cool before he started hanging around you," another student sneered as he leaned his arm on top of Hyukjae's head and got too close in his personal space. "You trying to get him in bed or something?"

"N-No..." Hyukjae started as he held his clothes tightly in his hand and opted to just close his eyes. He figured at least he won't see the punch coming if they decided to beat him up then and there. Before any of them could put a hand on Hyukjae, someone had come in the locker room shouting his name. 

"Hyukkie~ Are you not done yet? Hurry up! Let's go!"

Donghae's voice echoed in the locker room which immediately darkened the mood of the three boys. The middle one took a step closer to Hyukjae which put the latter in immediate high alert. 

"You better watch yourself. We won't let you bring Donghae down with you."

That was the last thing the three boys did before taking the other exit in the back. Hyukjae was still frozen in fear when Donghae came in sight to check on him.

"Yah, Lee Hyukjae," Donghae called but his annoyed expression immediately change to a worried one when he saw his best friend white as a ghost. "Hyuk? What happened? Are you ok?"

Hyukjae looked at Donghae and seeing a genuine concern plastered on his face, he immediately felt tears b in his eyes. It reminded him of that day when Donghae introduced himself to him and showed him that smile. That stupid alluring smile that made has haunted Hyukjae's mind ever since. He looked down on the floor and quickly wiped his tears away so Donghae won't see. Hyukjae turned around and sniffed twice as he composed himself before turning back to look at Donghae and smiled at him as though he wasn't just approached by three bullies two minutes ago. 

"I'm fine, Hae. Come on, let's go home." 

Donghae knew something was wrong but he also knew that Hyukjae was doing his best to show that he was ok. It bothered him that he doesn't know what was wrong with Hyukjae but Donghae opted to not say anything at the moment. Hopefully, showing Hyukjae that his efforts were not gone to waste would alleviate at least a little of what's been bothering him. 

Weeks went by with Donghae and Hyukjae going back and forth between being the best of friend to giving the other the silent treatment. It was very frustrating, specially for Donghae as he felt more helpless with each passing day. He could see the distress on Hyukjae's face every time he thinks he's not looking at him or when he's approaching him from a corner. It was like every time Hyukjae was haunted by something but whenever he would bring it up, Hyukjae would find a way to change the topic or just completely shutdown on him until he doesn't - and then the cycle repeats itself. 

Hyukjae knows he's being unfair but he also knows he was being selfish. Selfish for keeping Donghae by his side when he should've avoided him in the beginning. Selfish because even now, when he knows he should absolutely stay away from him before the bullies turn against him, he still couldn't bring himself to stay completely away from the latter. It was wrong and unfair of him to fall in love with Donghae when he knows that the latter was just being nice and a good friend to him.

Luckily for the both of them, it seemed as though fate has dec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter