Confessing to You

The One Thing I Didn't Count On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was not a surprise that Donghae and Hyukjae only got closer after the roof-top incident. Donghae kept his word to Hyukjae and didn't go after Heewon or Jieun but Donghae made sure that Kyuhyun made no such promise. Hyukjae was still a little weery that Donghae might change his mind and push him away at any moment but was still ecstatic that the latter was more or less acting the same around him. Although, he did wish that Donghae would stop, or at least lessen his physical contact with him. Just so his heart's not going a thousand beats per minute because every time the latter would squeeze him and look at him with those sparkly eyes, Hyukjae would just melt inside while he tries his best not to have a heart attack. 

"Aish! Donghae-ah, let me go." Hyukjae complained and tried to get Donghae's arms off his waist. He made sure to keep the scowl on his face though just so he could hide the way his cheeks heat up with embarrasment. 

"But Hyukkiiee~, why not?"

"Because I don't do dances, ok?"

"No. Not okay!" Hyukjae rolled his eyes at the childlike tantrum Donghae was showing him. "It won't be any fun without you there."

"Hae, you have to go because you won prom king." Hyukjae then pointed a finger at himself and shook his head for emphasis, "I don't need to be there."

Donghae scrunched up his face in disappointment. "You're not gonna watch me get crowned?"

"I voted for you, didn't I?" Hyukjae joked but Donghae was not satisfied with his answer. The latter jumped on him again and buried his face on Hyukjae's neck as he whined his way into having Hyukjae give in to his will. 

Students walking past them was starting to give them looks and Hyukjae could hear the whisper. He suddenly felt very self-conscious and mustered up enough strength to push Donghae away; effectively startling the other. It took Donghae a second but upon seeing Hyukjae's uncomfortable state and his eyes wandering around the halls, it didn't take him a long time to deduce what was bothering his best friend. 

"I-I'm sorry, Hae," Hyukjae apologized meekly. Hyukjae knows that Donghae would probably scold him again for prioritizing how others perceived them over what they actually are, but he couldn't help himself. It was just reflex for him at this point as he still tries his best to protect Donghae as much as he can. "Let's go to class. We'll be late."

Donghae didn't bother to say anything further and just followed after Hyukjae. He was a little disappointed to be pushed away like that and he should've scolded Hyukjae for it. However, according the his brother and Heechul hyung, that would dampen the plan they had put together. 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Hyukjae and Donghae met up with their friends at a nearby arcade after school. The incident from earlier was long forgotten and Donghae was back to his clingy self and still pestering Hyukjae to go to their prom dance with him. Hyukjae just rolled his eyes and opted to ignore Donghae by now as he repeated a mantra in his head that Donghae's asking him to go hang out with him and not to go with him.  

Donghae was starting to get frustrated with Hyukjae's constant refusal to attend prom since it would damage his plans big time, and so, he decided that it was time to take out the big guns. 

"Heechul hyung~! Hyukkie said he's not going to Prom with us!" Donghae tattled like a two year old. 

"Yah!" Hyukjae immediately hit him over the head as everyone else in their group looked at him with a curious brow. 

"What? But Hyuk, you gotta go!" Leeteuk said. "It's my last year here with you guys and we gotta make the most of it."

"Yeah, and if you don't go, it'll ruin our plan to- ow!" Yesung's monologue was interrupted by Heechul hitting him over the head. 

Heechul just tsked at him before directing his gaze at Hyukjae. The latter froze against Heechul's sharp cat-like gaze staring right at him and he knew that whatever he was going to say, there was nothing and no way he would be able to refuse it (unless he had a death wish, which he doesn't.)

"You're going," Heechul said with a tone of finality. "Now, let's go. I'm starving."

Hyukjae gaped at him and he opened and closed his mouth like a fish trying to figure out how to reject Heechul in the nicest way possible. His mind was conflicted. On the one hand, he really really  doesn't want to go but also he really really really  doesn't want to die. Donghae seeing the internal conflict on Hyukjae's face almost felt bad. Just almost. He patted Hyukjae's shoulder as a sign of comfort only to let out a cheeky smile when Hyukjae glared at him. 

"Come on, Hyukkie. You wouldn't want to get hyung upset, now would you?"

Hyukjae pursed his lips together as he tried not to choke his so-called best friend to death. Unfortunately for him, he fell in love with a guy who's charms basically worked on everyone. Donghae ignored Hyukjae's pout (and strongly resisted the urge to pinch his cheeks) and dragged the latter with him to join their group. He felt giddy inside as the big day approaches. 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Hyukjae was waiting for Yesung and Siwon to come pick him up in front of his front porch. Heechul had given him strict orders to pick out a great outfit that wouldn't embarass him at their prom dance which meant he had to have said bodyguards accompany him. Hyukjae pouted and wished that something better would come up for Yesung and Siwon to do today. However, upon seeing Siwon's black lexus pull up nearby with Yesung's hand waving out to him by the passenger side, Hyukjae knew his hope was futile. 

"Don't look so glum, chum," Yesung cheekily greeted. 

Hyukjae just made a grimaced face at him as he opened the back door of Siwon's car and got in half-heartedly. 

"Where are we even going? I don't understand why I can't just wear one of the suits I already have."

"Because, monkey," Yesung chuckled when he saw the glare Hyukjae sent his way through the car's side mirror, "Heechul hyung said so."

"I don't have the money for this~" Hyukjae whined as he really didn't want to spend his hard earned pocket money on an outfit he would only wear once in his life. "Why can't I just not go?"

Siwon raised a high brow at Hyukjae's question. "Hyuk-ah, you have to. This might be the last year we're all together like this for a long time." Siwon pulled up in front of a customize suit and tailor shop with a giant glass window displaying five different mannequins with well-fitted suits and tuxedos. Hyukjae gulped as he sweatdropped thinking about how much money he was about to waste here. Siwon just laughed internally seeing his reaction. "Don't worry about it," he said effectively grabbing Hyukjae's attention. "There's a reason why I'm here."

It took a second for Hyukjae to realize what Siwon was trying to say, but as soon as it sunk in, he let out a huge gummy smile and all his worries went out the window.

"Well, why didn't you say so? Let's go!"

Yesung got out of the car shaking his head in disbelief at how quickly Hyukjae's mood changed. 

The shop was filled with with rows and rows of different dress shirts, slacks, ties, socks, and many more accessories that Hyukjae didn't know where to begin. Lucky for him, he wasn't the one who would decide what to match. 

"Key! Hey, long time no see, dude." Yesung greeted one of the tailors, Hyukjae assumed, in the shop. Hyukjae watched Siwon give the man a firm hand shake and pat on the back. Then, he saw Key's eyes land on him and the look of intrigue and interest in his eyes caught him off guard. 

"So, this is our little Cinderella of the night." Hyukjae sweatdropped seeing the sly look on Key's face as the man approached him. "Hi! I'm Key; I'll be your fairygodmother for today." 

Hyukjae didn't understand why he kept making Cinderella references but shook his hand nonetheless. "Uhh-- Hello...," Hyukjae cautiously greeted back as he looked over towards Siwon and Yesung who was failing at trying to hide their laughter. 

"Let's not waster any more time." Key grabbed Hyukjae's hand from behind and sent a wink to Siwon and Yesung's way. "Shall we?"

Hyukjae didn't have any time to protest as he was dragged towards one of the dressing rooms while Si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter