Meeting You

The One Thing I Didn't Count On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae was a simple man. He knew what he wanted and what made him happy. Ever since he was young he knew that he wanted to be a father. He wanted to be like his Dad and give the same happy childhood to his future children and achieve the same love and happiness for his family just like what he grew up in. It was the closest thing he could think of to keep and honor the memory of his father. 

Donghae knew what he wanted his future to be like. He knew he wanted to have a son whom he can teach how to play soccer and have a daughter whom he can teach and pass on his mother's secret recipes. He knew he wanted to live in a modest home with the love of his life. However, what he did not know was the the person that he would love the most in the world and cherish the most in his life would walk right through his classroom door. 

"Annyeonghaseyo," the student greeted. "My name is Lee Hyukjae. Please take care of me."

It was a normal greeting. Everyone does the same greeting on their first day but somehow, for some reason, Donghae heard his introduction in slow motion. It was as though time stood still as he kept his eyes on Hyukjae. He vaguely heard his teacher tell Hyukjae to sit next to the vacant chair available next to Sungmin, who was three chairs away from his right and two seats upfront. 

Donghae tried his best. He really did. But, for some reason, whenever he would try to keep his eyes away from Hyukjae, his mind would go into panic mode until his eyes would connect to that side profile and assure him that no, he was not imagining his existence at all. It was at that moment that Donghe knew he wanted to be friends with the new student. He looked up at the clock and saw that it was 45 minutes until lunch time. 45 minutes until he could get his chance to introduce himself. 

It was less than an hour away and yet it felt like an eternity to Donghae. However, once the bell finally rang, Donghae immediately stood up and tried to make his way .towards Hyukjae but was stopped by a girl he vaguely recognized from his art class.

"U-Um, Donghae oppa...can I have a minute with you?"

Donghae looked at her and immediately noticed the envelope she was trying to hide on her hand. He glanced behind her to where Hyukjae was but all he saw was his retreating figure following Sungmin out the classroom. He sighed and knew that he missed his chance this time as he heard the girl out and prepared his speech of gentle rejection. 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Donghae didn't have much luck when it came to introducing himself to Hyukjae. Not that he needed to. Anyone who had eyes around the campus would know who he is if it wasn't for the hormone driven girls that's created a fan club for him. His chance finally came one day, when Sungmin fell ill and their teacher decided that day that he would assign them a project that would require them to work with a partner. As soon as the teacher let them loose to pick their partners and start their project, Donghae was the first one out of his seat and walking to where Hyukjae was sitting. He had completely ignored the calls of his friends from behind. 

"Hi!" Donghae greeted. "I'm Donghae."

"Uh- Hi...Donghae-ssi," Hyukjae greeted cautiously. 

"Can you be my partner for the project?" Donghae asked directly which took Hyukjae by surprise. 

"Wh-What?" 

"You don't have a partner yet, right?"

"Um-..uh, actually," Hyukjae looked away hesitantly as he thought about his excuse, "-I was thinking that maybe Sungmin hyung would be my partner."

Donghae frowned as he took Sungmin's empty seat as an attempt to get closer to Hyukjae. "But he's not here."

"Well, yeah...that's- that's why I want to partner up with him." Hyukjae didn't try to look at Donghae as he felt himself suddenly get nervous around him. "I don't want him to fall behind."

"Donghae!"

The two of them were interrupted when one of Donghae's friends started making his way to him and grabbed a random seat nearby.

"Oh. Hey, Kyu."

"What the hell, man!? I told you I hate working on team projects. I barely tolerate you as it is and you're going to leave me with those goldfish."

"Sorry, Kyu," Donghae laughed not meaning his apology at all. It was then, at that moment that Donghae's brain suddenly hatched an idea. "Well, say, Kyu, I think I have the solution to your problem!"

"Yeah?"

"Well, why don't you partner up with Sungmin!"

"Who?"

"Lee Sungmin," Donghae repeated slowly. "He's absent today and probably will be gone for the rest of the week, which means you get to do your project all by yourself,"

"And how do you know this?"

"Well, I don't. Not really BUT what I do know is at least you won't have to worry about him fawning all over you while you do your work together," Donghae smiled at him half hoping that he would fall for it and the other half that his charm would work on his friend. 

Kyuhyun could only scoff and laugh at his friend. He glanced behind him and saw Hyukjae making his best effort not to glance their way, well, Donghae's way at least. Then, he looked at Donghae and rolled his eyes at the look his best friend was sending his way. They didn't call him a genius if he couldn't figure out a simple 1+1 problem. 

"Whatever," was all Kyuhyun said before he stood out from his seat and left the classroom. 

Donghae cheered as he looked back at Hyukjae expectantly. The latter bit his lower lip as his only excuse seemed to have been taken care of. Donghae cheered out loud as soon as h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter