Chapter 4

Focus On Me

The next morning, Jaebum woke up happy. He had a practice with Yugyeom in the afternoon and he was more excited today because the younger had become nicer with him. He didn’t know what changed but he was still glad.

“Jaebum-ah! Do you have practice today?” Jaebum’s roommate, Jackson, asked.

“Yeah. Why?”

“I wanted to spend some time with you tonight. But it’s okay, another time.”

“Sorry, man. But I just began getting along with my partner and this project is really important for him.”

“Yeah, Kim Yugyeom. I don’t get how you’re not scared of him to be honest. He looks scary as , even I am afraid of him.

“But that’s because you’re a scaredy-cat.” Jaebum said, chuckling. “Anyway, I gotta go, I have a class to attend. See you later!” Jaebum exclaimed, going out of the door.

On the way to the class, he met Jungkook and Jimin, being grossly cute in front of the classroom.

“Get a room you two!” he jokingly scolded the couple.

“You’re just jealous because you’re alone.” Jimin replied, sticking his tongue out and Jaebum pouted.

“No need to remind me.”

“Hey, don’t be sad, Yugyeom will surely come around.” Jungkook said before turning back to Jimin and pecking him once more on the lips. “I’ll see you later baby. Have fun with your mom.”

“Thanks baby. See you later Jaebum hyung!” Jimin said and went away.

Jungkook and Jaebum entered the classroom and went to sit at the very back.

“So, how did it go with Yugyeom?” Jungkook asked.

“I’m sure you already know how it went.” Jaebum replied, smiling.

“Yes. But I’d like to have your point of view too.”

“Well, I didn’t know what to expect when I chased after him. He was very reluctant to speak to me at first but I kinda managed to make him talk. Then, we went to practice and he was actually so nice, it was fun to practice with him.” Jaebum explained, a little smile on his lips.

“What about the deal? Why did you want to make a deal with him?”

“That’s just in case he acts up again. If I need to know what’s up, he’ll have to tell me the truth.”

“He could still lie to you.”

“I know. But we need to rely on each other or this whole project won’t work. I’m sure he knows this but I want him to prove it to me.”

“Okay. You’re teaching him a lesson. But don’t use this deal too much to your advantage. Yugyeom isn’t as strong as he shows. He went through and I really don’t want to see him so broken ever again. So be careful.”

“I will, don’t worry.”

 

Later, in the practice room

Yugyeom was sitting in the practice room 15, alone, eating his kimbap moodily. The class he was supposed to have this morning was postponed because the teacher was sick. What a , thought Yugyeom. Before coming here, he went to nap at the library but was woken up by the librarian because the library was apparently not made for sleeping. After this, Yugyeom thought of going back to the dorms but he was afraid that he would be too lazy to come back out so he went to the practice room. He coincidentally met BamBam and spent about a whole hour with him before the latter had to go to the cafeteria. It was nice spending time with BamBam, Yugyeom always liked his company, especially when he needed to think about non-serious business.

Anyway, Yugyeom was sitting on the floor, facing the mirror, his back to the wall when the door opened. He slowly turned his head towards it and saw Jaebum entering. Yugyeom was pleased that the older had come a bit earlier because he was getting seriously depressed waiting on his own.

“Yugyeom? What are you doing?” Jaebum asked when he finally noticed the younger.

“I’m eating lunch. Did you eat?” Yugyeom asked, adverting his gaze.

“Not yet. I was going to leave my stuff here and go to the cafeteria-”

“I have some for you.” Yugyeom said, blushing a bit.

“What?”

“I made kimbaps for you. I hope you like it.” Yugyeom repeated, handing a box to the older.

Jaebum approached the younger and sat down next to him, taking the box and opening it. There was about 20 pieces of sliced kimbap and they looked delicious. He smiled.

“Thanks. I’m super hungry.” Jaebum said, grabbing the chopsticks Yugyeom was handing him and diving in.

“How is it?” Yugyeom shyly asked, looking at Jaebum expectantly.

“It’s delicious! Did you really make them?”

“Yeah. Jungkookie helped me too because I was too slow but it’s all hand-made.”

“That’s really delicious. Of course, there’s nothing better than hand-made food.”

They both kept on eating their lunch in silent, both stealing glances from time to time until they were done. Yugyeom took Jaebum’s now empty box and shoved it in his bag along with his own box before turning to the older.

“So, have you tried coming up with other dance moves?”

“Yeah, I worked a great part of the night and I came up with some moves that I think you’ll like. It’s the part just before the chorus.” Jaebum said, smiling.

“Okay, show me that.”

Yugyeom prepared the song to start at 1:00 and waited for Jaebum’s signal to press play. The music started and Jaebum began to hit every beat with his body. His shoulders, his hips, his arms, even his fingers, everything was so in sync with the music, it was y and graceful at the same time. When the part ended, Jaebum stopped, looking expectantly towards Yugyeom.

“What do you think?” he asked, short on breath because of the nervousness.

“You were right. I liked it a lot. And the way you linked your last move with the first of the chorus is simple but great. I particularly like the way you hit every beat with your shoulders.” Yugyeom stated, trying to hide his excitement. He was glad Jaebum was a talented dancer.

“Okay. That’s a lot of compliment.” Jaebum said, beaming.

“I should be honest when I see something that I like. Your moves are sharp and cool.” Yugyeom said, rolling his eyes as his cheeks dusted with pink.

“Thanks. So, ready to learn?” Jaebum asked and Yugyeom nodded, walking to stand just beside him, facing the mirror.

 

The next day

“So, how’s it going guys?” Jungkook asked as he sat down on BamBam’s couch beside the latter, grabbing a beer.

The three best friends were gathered in BamBam’s room for their weekly movie night. Each week they switched rooms between BamBam’s and Jungkook and Yugyeom's shared room. They chose a movie from the website Rotten Tomatoes, the only criteria being the worst percentage of recommendation.

“We were waiting for you to begin. We chose Ghost Rider.” BamBam said as Yugyeom sat down too.

“Okay. After the movie we’ll talk. We skipped last week’s night because of my baby Gyeommie and I don’t have any idea of what happened to my other baby Bammie.”

“Okay dad, but let’s watch this now, please.” BamBam said and Jungkook stuck his tongue out before Yugyeom finally pressed play, rolling his eyes in faked annoyance.

 

“Okay, that movie was absolute . I don’t see any use of the plot.” Yugyeom stated as the credits rolled out.

“I didn’t understand a single thing.” Jungkook added.

“Same here. But that might be because I drank too many beers.” BamBam said, making his two friends burst out laughing.

“So, are y’all ready for our bro-talk?” Jungkook asked, tidying the coffee table up.

“What do you wanna know?” BamBam asked.

“How’s it going with Momo?” Jungkook and Yugyeom asked at the same time.

“It’s going well. She’s so amazing, I swear I’m so lucky to be her partner. You know it’s my first time choreographing a dance so she’s done most of the work for now but she doesn’t complain at all! She’s patient with me and I’m so grateful. I tried to come up with some dance moves and she told me they were cool even though we had to polish them a bit. By the way, I forgot to tell you but we chose God Is A Woman by Ariana Grande.” BamBam explained, smiling widely.  [I chose Chungha’s choreo just imagine it’s Momo and Bam plz]

“How about you Jungkook? How are you lately?” Yugyeom asked.

“I’m doing fine. Still writing the song, half-way done with the lyrics and I began working on the music. Jimin and I are still going strong too, I love him so much. I really wish for the both of you to find your Jimin too.” Jungkook answered, radiating happiness.

“That’s cool guys, I’m so happy for you.” Yugyeom said, smiling to his friends. “And I’m sorry I’m so moody lately and I’m not spending enough time with the both of you.” He added.

“It’s okay, Yug. Seriously, I get you – we get you. No need to apologize.” BamBam said, hugging Yugyeom.

“He’s right. But we wish you were a bit more honest with yourself though. Convincing yourself that you’re feeling things you aren’t isn’t healthy at all.” Jungkook stated.

“I know. But it’s hard. I’m trying to be a little more myself lately but I just can’t stop thinking about… her.” Yugyeom said, suddenly feeling overwhelmed.

“Hey hey hey.” Jungkook began, getting closer to the youngest. “Don’t think about her. She doesn’t deserve you anyway. She never did.”

“Yeah. You’re the best person I’ve ever met Yug, don’t let her mess with your head. You’re precious to a lot of people.” BamBam said, kissing Yugyeom's forehead.

“Thanks guys. I love you.”

“We love you too.” The two other boys said at the same time.

“But… how is it going with Jaebum?” Jungkook cautiously asked.

“It’s going okay I think. I gave him the kimbap we made yesterday, he liked it. It made me happy. And we’re both working hard on the choreo. We are done with the chorus and the pre-chorus and we started back from the beginning yesterday, trying to come up with something cool. I find it so fun and exhilarating to work with someone for once. I never realised how lonely I felt dancing alone in the past.” He paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. “To be honest, I don’t want the semester to end. I don’t wanna dance by myself anymore. I know that you’re both here to dance with me but…” he trailed off, not finding it in himself to finish his sentence.

“We’re not Jaebum.” Jungkook finished for him. Yugyeom slowly nodded, almost unable to talk or breathe.

“It’s okay, Yug. You like him and it’s totally okay. Don’t overthink it.” BamBam said, drying his friend’s tears.

“Let’s hug guys, I’m emo.” Jungkook said, making his friends chuckle before jumping on them.

Yugyeom knew it was going to be hard but he didn’t care. He had his friends.