Chapter 11

Focus On Me

On Saturday

Jaebum was waiting in front of Yugyeom's room, nervous. He was worried Yugyeom wouldn’t like what he had planned. He had a very precise idea of what the perfect date was for him and he wondered what was Yugyeom's.

Taking a deep breath, he finally knocked at the door. He heard some shuffling and the door opened, revealing Yugyeom, as beautiful as ever. He was wearing a black pullover with blue ripped jeans. His hair was still grey and Jaebum already knew he would never get over this.

“Hi baby.” Yugyeom said, pecking Jaebum’s lips softly.

“Hey. Are you ready?”

“Yes. Let’s go.” Yugyeom said, making sure he had his keys, phone and wallet and closing the door behind him before grabbing Jaebum’s hand. “Where are you taking me?”

“Well, you know, I have this ideal type of date. I’ve always wanted to do this with my partner but I never found someone that I liked as much as I like you so it’s a first for me.” Jaebum said, shy.

“What is it?” Yugyeom asked, caressing his hand with his thumb, trying to make him less shy.

“I think that walking as we hold hands and eating noodles at a convenience store is perfect. A simple moment spent with the person I like the most.”

“That’s cute. That’s perfect by me too. I mean, just being by your side is enough for me.” Yugyeom said, kissing Jaebum’s cheek.

“Great. I was kinda worried you would find it lame.”

“I’d never find something you like lame. If you like it, I like it too and that’s it. Even if you just wanted to spend the day in for our first date, I would have loved it.”

“Thanks, baby.” Jaebum said, stopping and kissing Yugyeom deeply.

When he broke the kiss, Yugyeom was as red as a tomato and Jaebum never found it so endearing he kissed him one more time.

When they were finally out of campus, Jaebum led Yugyeom to his car. Yugyeom was kind of excited to see Jaebum drive (he always found it hot for some reason) and Jaebum told him to stop smiling so widely as it was distracting. After some time, Jaebum parked his car near the Han river and rushed to open the door for Yugyeom making the younger laugh out loud. Jaebum took a blanket out of the truck and walked nearer to the river. He spread the blanket over the grass and gestured for Yugyeom to sit down.

“Here. Wait for me, I’m going to choose our noodles and bring it here. I know your favourite.” He said, winking and walked away towards the convenience store.

He firstly chose his favourite taro tea before going to the noodles’ section. There, he chose Yugyeom's favourite kimchi flavoured noodle and his own favourite seafood flavoured one. Before checking out, he also decided to buy a little box of kimchi and snacks. Getting snacks was harder than he expected because the section was full of teenagers who were apparently trying to buy everything in sight that looked like snacks.

When he finally checked out, he went outside to cook the noodles. He added an egg for extra flavour and when they were done, he quickly walked back to where Yugyeom was sitting.

“Hey. Take it, my hand is burning.” He said, handing Yugyeom's noodles and the latter quickly listened to the older.

“I should have come with you.” Yugyeom said, taking Jaebum’s hand and kissing it.

“Thanks. Here, do you wanna taste this?” Jaebum asked, handing his bottle of tea to the younger.

“What is it?”

“Taro tea. It’s very sweet and since it’s still cold it’s even tastier.”

“Okay.” Yugyeom said, taking the bottle, opening it and taking a little sip. “It’s really sweet! Maybe a little too much.” He said, giggling and handing the bottle back to Jaebum. “Let’s eat, I’m hungry!”

“Let’s eat!” Jaebum said, giggling at the younger’s cuteness.

They immediately began eating their noodles, humming contently as it was delicious. After some minutes, Jaebum put his chopsticks down, looking at Yugyeom eating. He reached for the kimchi and opened the box, putting it in front of the younger.

“Thanks, hyung.” Yugyeom said, taking a piece of kimchi right away. He looked at Jaebum and noticed that he was only staring at him, not eating. He swallowed and cleared his throat. “Why are you not eating?”

“Just looking at you eating makes me full. And you’re so beautiful, I was wondering how lucky I got to have you by my side.”

“Cheesy~ but you better eat because now you’re feeling full watching me eat but later you won’t feel the same. And your noodles are getting sad because they’re not being eaten.”

“Okay, I’ll eat them. But I won’t stop looking at you.”

“Let me make a pose then.” Yugyeom said, putting his arms behind him and laying back, exposing his neck and letting his hair fall back as well.

Jaebum laughed before focusing on eating. He was really going to die if he kept on looking at Yugyeom. He looked too hot and Jaebum felt himself blush when Yugyeom grabbed his face, forcing him to look at him.

“Why did you look away?” Yugyeom asked and Jaebum understood that he had done the pose on purpose. He smiled, wondering if he should lie or not. He decided to be honest.

“You looked too hot for my health. And it’s still daytime.”

“Oh, shut up.” Yugyeom muttered and Jaebum laughed.

They soon were done eating and just laying on the blanket, facing each other.

“I had a question. I hope it won’t make you mad or something but well… why did you hate me?” Jaebum asked, looking away from Yugyeom.

“I don’t know. I never really hated you. I was jealous of you at first.”

“Jealous? Why?”

“Because everyone liked you. Everyone wanted to be your friend and it made me feel even more lonely. I also had a lot of respect for you, I always heard that you were very hardworking.” Yugyeom said, pausing. “I have an interesting fact for you. Do you know when was the first time we met?” Yugyeom asked, smiling.

“First day of the second semester when we were paired up. I tried talking to you but you brushed me off.” Jaebum confidently answered.

“Wrong. We firstly met just before the first semester ended. You were dancing with Jimin hyung and Jungkook had come to fetch him and I somehow had been dragged along. When Jungkook opened the door, I followed him and you waved at me. As usual, I ignored you but when we walked away, you still said ‘Bye, Jungkook’s friend!’. I was surprised because it was the first time someone tried talking to me without knowing who I am.” Yugyeom explained.

“I remember it now! You were already so cute. Later on I learned that you were the famous Kim Yugyeom and wondered why were people so scared of you. You looked shy more than anything and I figured that’s why you didn’t answer me.” Jaebum said, taking Yugyeom's hand.

“I was shy. But not anymore. At least not as much as I was.”

“And that’s so endearing. Would you like to go to our next destination?” Jaebum asked, sitting up.

“There’s more?”

“Of course. I didn’t ask you on a date just to come here and eat instant noodles. I have something else planned.”

“Okay.” Yugyeom said, sitting up as well. “Let’s go. Are we going by car?”

“Yes.” Jaebum said as he got the rubbish as Yugyeom folded the blanket. “You really like seeing me drive, right?” Jaebum asked as they walked to the car.

“You look hot when you drive. You should roll your sleeves up, it’d be even hotter.” Yugyeom joked.

“Don’t joke like that or I may really roll my sleeves up.” Jaebum answered as they got in.

 

They drove for half an hour and arrived at an ice rink. The weather was kinda hot and what’s better than ice skating to cool off a bit?

“An ice rink?” Yugyeom asked as Jaebum opened the car’s door for him.

“Yeah. Do you not like it? We can go elsewhere if you’d like.”

“No, it’s okay. It’s just… I’ve never skated.” Yugyeom admitted.

“It’s really not a big deal. I’ll help you.” Jaebum said and they entered the building, going to rent ice skates.

“Okay, come on.” Jaebum said, holding his hand to Yugyeom as he was standing on the ice.

“I’m a bit scared.”

“You’re with me, don’t be scared. I’ll take care of you.”

Yugyeom grabbed his hand and stood on the ice.

“Okay, we’ll go slowly. Hold on tight.” Jaebum said and Yugyeom nodded, adjusting his hold on the older’s hands.

Jaebum began to skate backwards slowly, dragging Yugyeom with him. The younger was holding so tight on Jaebum’s hands that it was hurting but he didn’t say anything.

“Hyung.” Yugyeom said and Jaebum immediately stopped.

“Do you wanna go elsewhere?”

“No. I’m just taking a breath.” They waited for a few seconds. “Let’s go again.”

“Okay. Ready when you are.” Jaebum said and Yugyeom nodded.

 

An hour later, Yugyeom was ice skating almost as well as Jaebum.

“You really learn fast.”

“Of course. I got the best teacher.” Yugyeom said and after kissing Jaebum he skated away.

Suddenly, everything seemed to happen in slow motion. A guy was skating backwards, not looking where he was going, skating right towards Yugyeom. Jaebum reacted right away but before he could reach Yugyeom, the latter was lying on the ice with his arm angled in an odd way.

“Yugyeom… Yugyeom, please.” Jaebum said, touching his face. Yugyeom didn’t respond.

“C-call an ambulance. Right n-now.” Jaebum stuttered. He looked at all the people gathered around him and Yugyeom. He was searching for the guy who hit Yugyeom. “You! Get your ing phone out and call a damn ambulance! Right now!” he screamed. The guy jumped at Jaebum’s tone and nodded, taking his phone out and calling an ambulance.

 

“J-Jungkook… You need t-to come to the hospital… Yugyeom is-is hurt… come asap, seeya.” Jaebum told Jungkook as he was in the ambulance, holding on Yugyeom's hand.

“Don’t worry. He’ll be alright. He only broke an arm.” The ambulance man said after Jaebum had hung up.

“It’s a big deal. He’s a dancer, he can’t break an arm.” Jaebum aggressively retorted.

“Be thankful it wasn’t a leg.” The guy said and Jaebum decided not to answer.

 

“Where is he?” Jungkook asked as he entered the A&E, followed by Jimin.

“There, baby. That’s Jaebum.” Jimin said, gesturing towards someone who looked like Jaebum near a bed.

Jimin gently led the way for Jungkook.

“What happened?” Jungkook asked, on the verge of tears.

Jaebum turned around to look at Jungkook. His eyes and nose were red, he looked absolutely devastated.

“We were ice skating and that guy bumped into him because he wasn’t looking where he was going.” Jaebum quickly explained, his voice hoarse and cracking multiple times as he talked.

“And what’s gonna happen now?” Jimin quietly asked.

“They put his arm in a cast but he still hasn’t regained consciousness.”

“But it shouldn’t take too much time now.” A doctor suddenly said.

“You’re finally back.” Jaebum said, looking at the doctor.

“Your friend is fine. Fortunately his head wasn’t injured so he won’t have memory loss or anything. However, he won’t be able to use his left arm for about 6 or 8 weeks.” The doctor explained.

“But if his head wasn’t injured, why did he lose consciousness?” Jungkook asked, trying to calm down.

“The impact was still violent so due to the shock and the pain he felt when his arm broke, he lost consciousness. It can happen but it’s not serious. I have duties to fulfil so if you have any questions, you can tell the nurse and I’ll do my best to come as quickly as possible.” The doctor said and walked away.

A few minutes of silence between the three guys beside the bed took place. There were obviously unsaid things but no one wanted to talk, the situation was hard enough.

Just as Jungkook was about to talk, Yugyeom opened his eyes.

“Jaebum-ah…” he said, trying to sit up. He quickly noticed that he couldn’t use his left arm and looked around him.

“Y-Yugyeomie! Are you okay?” Jaebum asked.

“Where are we, hyung?” he asked and noticed Jungkook and Jimin. “Kook? Jimin hyung? What happened?”

“Yug, do you remember what happened?” Jungkook asked, getting closer to his friend.

“Well, we were ice skating…” he began, his eyebrows furrowed as he tried remembering. “This guy was skating and then I don’t remember anything.”

“This guy… he bumped into you. You broke your arm and lost consciousness. We’re at the hospital now.” Jaebum explained.

“My arm? But… I can’t dance if my arm is broken.” Yugyeom said, feeling tears gathering in his eyes.

“We filmed the choreo. Don’t worry. You’ll be able to heal and we’ll just submit the video.” Jaebum stated, taking Yugyeom's hand.

“You’re right. How long will it take for my arm to heal?”

“About 6 or 8 weeks.” Jaebum said.

Suddenly, Jungkook turned to Jaebum.

“An ice rink? Seriously?” he said, angry.

“Kookie, calm down.” Jimin started.

“Yugyeom doesn’t know how to ice skate! How could you bring him there without asking him?”

“Kook! I was totally fine.” Yugyeom intervened. “Hyung helped me to skate. It’s not his fault that guy bumped into me. And I’m fine, right? Nothing serious happened.”

“But it could have!” Jungkook exclaimed.

“But it didn’t!” Jaebum exclaimed in turn. “Do you think Yugyeom didn’t tell me he didn’t know how to skate? Do you think I didn’t suggest to go somewhere else? Yugyeom wanted to stay and I did my best to teach him how to skate. It’s not my fault at all if he broke his arm! You can say whatever you want but nor me or Yugyeom or even that guy are responsible!” Jaebum stood up, letting go of Yugyeom's hand and walking toward the exit.

“Kookie, Jaebum was shaken up as much you were, maybe even more.” Jimin said and as Jungkook was about to respond, he went on. “Surely more. He saw his boyfriend fall on the ground and getting his arm broken right in front of him and he wasn’t able to do anything. How do you think you’d feel if it were me?” Jimin asked and when Jungkook didn’t answer, he nodded. “Now, I’ll go check on him.” He added and kissed Jungkook before going behind Jaebum.

Jimin got outside and saw Jaebum sitting at a bus stop. He walked up to him and sat down.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“I don’t know. I feel angry because Jungkook accused me but I also feel guilty.” Jaebum answered.

“Why do you feel guilty?”

“Because I screamed at Jungkook. But also because even though I know it’s not my fault, I feel like it still is.”

“First of all, Jungkook was being a little so you did well by screaming at him.” Jimin said, making Jaebum smile a bit. “Secondly, it’s not your fault at all, like you said. I bet you thought ice skating with Yugyeom would be romantic, that’s why you brought him there, right?” Jaebum nodded. “Well, I’m sure that until the accident he loved every second he spent ice skating with you. He’s not mad at you and he doesn’t think you’re responsible. So stop feeling guilty now.” Jimin said, putting an arm around his shoulder.

“Thanks Jimin-ah.”

“You’re welcome. Now, let’s go back and see if Yugyeom can go out already.” Jimin said, getting up and dragging Jaebum back to the hospital.

 

The doctor allowed Yugyeom to go back to the dorms after prescribing him some painkillers for his arm. Just like Jimin had told Jaebum, Yugyeom wasn’t mad at all at the older and he was holding his hand as tight as before everything happened. Jungkook and Jimin had come by bus so Jaebum offered to drive them back to the dorms – after Jimin had forced Jungkook to apologise to Jaebum.

When they arrived, Jaebum asked Yugyeom if he wanted to hang out in his room since Jackson wasn’t there to which Yugyeom answered yes. They arrived to Jaebum’s room and immediately went to the kitchen so Jaebum could make some tea. As they were sitting down and drinking their tea, Jaebum spoke up.

“You know, that’s not how I wanted this day to go. I mean, I didn’t want you to get injured.” He began to say.

“I know. But I still enjoyed it a lot. It was the best date I’ve ever had. Stop beating yourself up for this.” Yugyeom said, taking Jaebum’s hand.

“It was supposed to be special.” Jaebum said and sighed. He looked up to Yugyeom and felt his heart burst at how soft Yugyeom was looking at him. “I love you.”

Jaebum had spoken so lowly that Yugyeom had almost missed it. It took him a few seconds to understand that it was real, that those three words were for him to hear, that Jaebum had meant them. He looked down, trying to hide his smile, in vain. When he looked up, he squeezed Jaebum’s hand who had been silent.

“I love you too, hyung.”

Jaebum leaned in, putting his hand on Yugyeom's cheek, almost making their lips touch. Yugyeom's closed his eyes, anticipating the kiss.

Now focus on me.” Jaebum whispered and kissed Yugyeom.