Chapter 10

Focus On Me

“Look, I think we should film the choreography.” Donghae said.

“What? Why?” Yugyeom asked.

“I feel like something bad will happen soon and you won’t be able to dance at the end of the semester.”

“I don’t see what could happen. We’re only going to rehearse for the last few weeks left.” Yugyeom said.

“I think that we should listen to hyung.” Jaebum said. “I’ve had the same feeling for a few days.” He stated.

“What? Why didn’t you tell me anything?” Yugyeom asked.

“I didn’t want you to worry and I thought that it would pass soon but it didn’t. Let’s just do it, Gyeomie.”

“Okay. If you think that’s the best thing to do.”

“Great. Let’s do it next week? Is Wednesday at 3 alright with you?” Donghae asked.

“It works.” Jaebum answered.

Donghae bid them goodbye and left the room.

“Are you alright?” Yugyeom asked Jaebum, taking his hand.

“I am. Don’t worry baby.” The older answered, squeezing the younger’s hand.

“Baby?” Yugyeom asked, smiling.

“Yes.” Jaebum simply replied.

“I like that.” Yugyeom stated and Jaebum smiled.

“Let’s practice a few more times, baby.”

 

The next day, in the evening

“So, have you fixed the steps you were struggling with?” Jungkook asked Yugyeom as they were sitting in the kitchen.

“We did. The guys came today and they helped us. They’re so cool, I really don’t understand how they can be working with Austin.”

“I don’t know. Anyway, what are you going to do for the video?”

“What do you mean?”

“You have to choose an outfit right?”

“Yes. Donghae hyung said he would bring us clothes, he’s a real fashionista.” Yugyeom said, giggling. “And I talked with Bam at lunch and he gave me an idea.”

“Coming from Bam it can either be a really bad or a really good idea. Which one is it?” Jungkook asked, laughing.

“I don’t know to be honest. He wants me to dye my hair.”

“Which colour?”

“Grey. He thought it would be y.”

“In my opinion, it’s a very good idea. I think it’ll suit you. Better than the flashy blonde you did last year.” Jungkook said, earning a punch from Yugyeom.

“Stop reminding me! That’s why I don’t talk with you about everything related to hair. You always make fun of me.” Yugyeom said, pouting as Jungkook burst out laughing.

“Don’t try making me believe Bam didn’t make fun of you either.”

Yugyeom got up, leaving the kitchen as Jungkook laughed even more, bent over the table, unable to breathe.

When Jungkook calmed down, he went to apologize to Yugyeom and proposed to go to the hairdresser with him on Tuesday.

 

On Tuesday, around lunch

“I can’t walk you to your class. I’m sorry.” Yugyeom told Jaebum as they were leaving the cafeteria.

“Why?” the older asked.

“Jungkook needs help with something and it’s kinda urgent. But we’ll see each other tomorrow for the video, okay?” he said, and Jaebum nodded.

“I’ll miss you until tomorrow.” Jaebum said.

“You’re so cheesy!” Yugyeom said, giggling. “I’ll text you in the morning.” Yugyeom said, turning to leave but Jaebum caught him by his wrist, pulling him closer and kissing him.

“See you baby.”

“See you. I’ll miss you too.” Yugyeom said, kissing the older once more and walking away.

 

“Oh my god, I can’t believe I’m going to do this…” Yugyeom said, panicking.

“Calm down. You’re just going to dye your hair. You’re not getting a tattoo.” Jungkook said, trying to calm his friend down.

“I shouldn’t have come. I think we should just go back to the dorms.” Yugyeom said but Jungkook stopped him.

“Look. You’re going to go inside and get your hair dyed grey. You’re gonna look gorgeous for the video and for Jaebum too. And maybe you’ll get some action.” Jungkook said, wiggling his eyebrows at his last words.

“Shut the hell up. I’m going to dye my hair but only because you said I’m going to look gorgeous. If I don’t like it, you’ll have to do the chores for a whole month.”

“Deal. Now, let’s go in.” Jungkook said, pushing the door open and dragging Yugyeom behind him.

 

The next morning

“F*****ck I don’t wanna go out of this dorm.” Yugyeom whined, looking at himself in the mirror for the umpteenth time.

“You’re stunning, Yug. Come on let’s eat something. I’m starving and you can’t go to practice on an empty stomach.” Jungkook said, showing him two kinds of instant noodles.

“The less spicy one please. I’m already stressed enough, no need to sh*t myself because of spicy food.” Yugyeom said, making Jungkook burst out laughing.

“You’re looking awesome, idiot. But I’ll still give you the less spicy one because I’m craving spicy food.” Jungkook said, getting to work.

“Why? Are you pregnant?”

Jungkook gasped.

“How did you know?!”

“And I’m the idiot.” Yugyeom said, smiling.

 

The same day at 3P.M

“Sorry guys, I’m late-” Jaebum began as he entered the practice room.

He looked up and what he saw left him speechless. Yugyeom, wearing a red shirt and skinny black jeans. But that’s not what shocked him the most. Grey. Yugyeom's hair was grey, almost covering his eyes – wait, is that eyeliner? – and Jaebum thought that was it. He was dead. No way Yugyeom really dyed his hair, and no way Yugyeom could look both y and cute as he looked at him, smiling brightly.

“Hi!” he exclaimed, coming up to the older.

“H-Hi.” Jaebum answered, mesmerised.

“You’re late.” Yugyeom said, pouting.

Jaebum was internally dying.

“The prof didn’t wanna let us go.” He managed to say, adverting his eyes at the end of his sentence. Suddenly, he felt his hand grab Yugyeom's arm and his eyes go back to look into his.

“You look gorgeous. Absolutely stunning.” Jaebum whispered into his ear, making the younger blush madly.

“Thanks.” Yugyeom almost whispered.

“Jaebum-ah! Come here, we need to dress you.” Sungjin said, grabbing his arm and dragging him away from Yugyeom.

“You look cute together.” Hyuk said, startling Yugyeom.

“Hyung! You can’t just appear like that!”

“I walked right up to you but I think you were too busy looking at Jaebum to see me.” Hyuk said, giggling. “You look super close and it shows in the way you dance. You’re so in sync, it’s hard to do so. I’ve been working with those guys for a while now and it’s still hard to be in sync so I really admire your bond.”

“Thanks hyung.” Yugyeom said, looking at Jaebum then at Hyuk and finally looking down.

“You should tell him.” Hyuk said.

“What?”

“You should tell him that you love him. I’m sure he wants to tell you first but he’s afraid you don’t feel the same.”

“If he does think that, he’s really an idiot.” Yugyeom said, frowning.

“Maybe. But he’s your idiot.”

“Hyung!” Yugyeom whined, Hyuk laughing.

“Come on, we’ll soon start.” Hyuk said and walked to where Junho was talking with Sandeul.

Yugyeom thought a bit about what Hyuk had told him and smiled to himself. He would definitely let Jaebum do the first step.

“Come on Yugyeom, Jaebum is ready. We’ll rehearse first and then start the recording.” Donghae said. Yugyeom nodded and Jaebum walked to him.

It was the first time Yugyeom saw Jaebum dressed so casually outside of the bedroom. He wasn’t wearing jeans but sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt with a jacket. He looked soft in Yugyeom's eyes and he loved it. It reminded him of how he looked in the mornings, when they had nothing to do and Jaebum borrowed clothes from him.

“You look great, hyung.” Yugyeom said, coming closer to the older.

“Thank you. Let’s warm up, shall we?”

After they were all warmed up, Junho put the music on and they rehearsed a first time. Yugyeom wasn’t satisfied with his performance so he asked for a second rehearsal. Judging the second time was alright, Donghae said they were ready to record.

“Okay, don’t stress. If you stress, all the excitement and freedom disappear. You dance because you love it not because you’re passing an exam. And you both look stunning and stress doesn’t suit you.” He said, making everyone laugh. “Ready?” Everyone nodded. “Let’s go.”

Yugyeom and Jaebum looked at each other and smiled reassuringly. Donghae pressed play on the camera, put the music on and quickly got in position.

 

2 hours later

“Okay guys, I think we’ve got it! Thanks for all the hard work and I hope everything will go well!” Donghae said and everyone applauded.

“It was a pleasure to work with all of you.” Jaebum said.

“Yes. I learnt a lot from you and I’ll forever be grateful.” Yugyeom stated.

“Aww, you’re so cute!! Group hug!” exclaimed Sandeul, making everyone laugh.

Donghae told Jaebum that he would send him the video in two days when he would have chosen the best one before separating. The dancers went their own way while Yugyeom and Jaebum walked to the dorms.

“I’m so happy we’re finally done with this! I hope nothing will happen and we’ll be able to dance on stage but still, it’s better to anticipate.” Jaebum stated.

“You’re right, anything could happen.” Yugyeom said, nodding.

“You know, I wanted to talk to you about something…” Jaebum began, taking Yugyeom's hand and looking all embarrassed.

“What is it?”

“You know we’ve been together for like a month and a half and we haven’t gone on a date yet.”

“A date?” Yugyeom asked, surprised.

“Yes. Like a real one. Not just meeting in your room or mine to cuddle and watch a movie.” Jaebum explained, getting redder at every word.

“Okay.” Yugyeom said.

“What?”

“Okay. Let’s go on a date.” Yugyeom said, beaming at Jaebum.

“Okay! So, I-I will prepare everything! You don’t have to do anything I’ll just plan something that you’ll love!” Jaebum said, excited.

“That’s great. But when do you want out first date to take place?” Yugyeom asked, giggling.

“How does Saturday sound?”

“That’s fine. Will we meet for lunch or?”

“I’ll pick you up in the morning at around 11.”

“Alright. Now, come in my room and let’s cuddle.”