Chapter 2

Focus On Me

Yugyeom was in the subway, going back to the dorms when his phone vibrated.

Hi, it’s Im Jaebum. Jungkook gave me your number^^

 

Yugyeom groaned and decided to not answer. His phone vibrated again.

 

Don’t ignore me please, we really need to talk.

 

Yugyeom sighed, furrowing his eyebrows.

 

What the hell do you want?

We need to talk about the project.

 

Okay. What do you wanna do?

 

This is not gonna work, Yugyeom.

We need to talk face to face.

 

Let’s meet tomorrow at 10A.M in the practice room 3.

 

Okay, see you tomorrow!

 

Yugyeom was really getting annoyed, he really didn’t want to be acquainted with Jaebum but, apparently, the world had other plans for him. He put his phone back in his pocket and got out of the subway. He walked for about five minutes and finally arrived to the dorms. He was met with Jungkook texting and smiling at his phone like a dummy.

“Can you tell me why you gave my number to Im Jaebum?” he asked, closing the door behind him and throwing his bag to the floor.

“Hello to you too, Gyeom.” Jungkook said, putting his phone down. “He told me you got paired up, I just helped him.” He simply answered.

“You should help me, not him! I didn’t want him to have my number!” Yugyeom complained, going to sit beside Jungkook on their couch.

“You’re seriously annoying me!” Jungkook shouted, surprising Yugyeom. “Stop acting like a ing child, this is college, not kindergarten! You won’t always be able to work with people you like, are you aware of this?”

It was the first time Jungkook ever shouted at him since a long time ago. Yugyeom had forgotten how scary Jungkook looked when he was angry and instead of answering with words, he just nodded.

“Okay.” Jungkook said, sighing but still looking angry. “Jaebum is a nice guy. He’s friends with my Jiminie so he can only be a good guy.”

“I don’t understand how Jimin is dating you then. You’re such an assh*le.” Yugyeom said and Jungkook threw a pillow to his face.

 

The next day

Jaebum arrived early at the practice room. He was kinda excited for his meeting with Yugyeom. It would be the first time they’d actually talk face to face. He waited for about ten minutes when suddenly, the door opened, revealing a dishevelled Yugyeom.

“Hey.” Yugyeom greeted.

“Hi.” Jaebum replied.

“So, you said you wanted to talk? Let’s talk then.” Yugyeom said.

“Yeah. Well, have you thought a bit about what kind of song you’d like to dance to?” Jaebum asked.

“Yes. I’d like to dance to an R’n’B song.”

“Oh, you like R’n’B? Me too! Such a coincidence!” Jaebum exclaimed.

“Yeah. What about you?” Yugyeom asked, ignoring the older.

“R’n’B sounds fine to me. I didn’t think about anything anyway. Have you got a song in mind?” Jaebum asked, smiling.

“I thought of Jus2’s Focus On Me. It’s got an R’n’B feel to it and it’s a duet. Since there’s no official choreography, we can easily make one ourselves.” Yugyeom explained, showing how much he had thought about it.

Jaebum found that side of Yugyeom quite endearing, the side that was so passionate about dancing. He liked that way Yugyeom's eyes shined when he talked about dancing.

“That’s fine by me. I like their music.” Jaebum said. “Have you ever made a choreography by yourself?”

“I did when I was in high school. I won a contest.” Yugyeom said, a little smile appearing on his lips. It stayed some seconds before his lips formed a straight line once again.

“That’s so cool! You must be very talented too!” Jaebum excitedly said.

“I heard you’re also talented. Did you make choreography too?” Yugyeom asked, a bit shy but trying not to show it.

“Yeah. But it was quite a long time ago, when I was in high school as well. I didn’t win anything though, it was for a talent show.” Jaebum explained.

“I see.” Said Yugyeom.

“Oh, by the way. Would you like to perform with the dancers from 1million?”

“Um, I’d like to if it’s okay with you.” Yugyeom said, putting his hands in his back pockets and beginning to sway a bit.

“Of course! Do you have a preference?”

“I’m a big fan of Austin Pak. I really like his style and his choreographies.” Yugyeom said, pausing for a moment. “How about you?”

“Well, I really like Yoo Junsun. He’s a great choreographer and dancer.” Jaebum answered.

“Okay.”

Jaebum wasn’t fazed by the lukewarm response and smiled even wider.

“So, when do you wanna start?” he asked.

“I don’t know. When are you free?” asked Yugyeom.

“I’m free almost every afternoon plus weekends.”

“Me too except for Sundays. Let’s start on Wednesday, then?” Yugyeom said and Jaebum nodded. “Okay, see you. I gotta go.” Yugyeom said and immediately flew out of the room.

Jaebum giggled after the door closed behind Yugyeom.

“You’re such a cutie Kim Yugyeom. I saw what you tried to do there.” Jaebum whispered to himself. Then, his phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Jaebumie! How are you?”

“Oh, Jinyoung-ah! Wassup, why are you calling?” Jaebum asked, suddenly excited as he got out of the practice room.

“I’m in front of the campus, would you like to go grab something for lunch?”

“I’d love to! I missed you so much, gosh. I’m coming!” Jaebum said before hanging up and running to the entrance.

 

A bit later

“Hey, Kook.” Yugyeom said as he sat down beside Jungkook on the steps around the soccer field.

“Hey, Gyeom.” Jungkook answered, keeping his eyes on his boyfriend who was playing soccer.

“I wanted to ask you something…” Yugyeom began and Jungkook hummed. “Is Jaebum in a relationship?”

Jungkook suddenly turned to look at Yugyeom, his eyes wide in astonishment. He then smirked.

“Why do you wanna know? Are you beginning to like him?” he teased.

“Not at all! I’m just curious!” Yugyeom said, getting defensive.

“Calm down! You have the right to like him, are you aware of this?”

“I do NOT like him! Ugh, forget I ever asked you something.” Yugyeom said, getting ready to leave but Jungkook grabbed him and made him sit back down.

“Look, I don’t know if he’s in a relationship and I don’t care. If there’s something you wanna know about him, you better directly ask Jaebum. He’s the only one to know what goes on in his life.” Jungkook said in a sweet and reassuring voice.

“Okay. Thanks.” Yugyeom muttered.

“You’re welcome, buddy. Now, let’s wait for Jimin’s match to end and we’ll go grab something to eat, okay?”

 

In the meantime

“Jaebum-ah!” Jinyoung shouted as soon as he saw Jaebum.

Jaebum smiled and ran to Jinyoung, taking him in his arms for a few seconds.

“How are you?” Jinyoung asked, taking a good look at his best friend.

He hadn't changed, still so handsome but he had black hair instead of brown now.

“I’m fine, how about you? How was it in L.A? You went there for a movie, right?” Jaebum asked, a wide smile lightening up his face.

“It was for a drama but it was really cool, the weather was a tad too hot though. I don’t get the weather there. I’m glad to be back, I missed my bff.” Jinyoung said, ruffling Jaebum's hair.

“Let’s go eat, I’m hungry.” Jaebum said, grabbing Jinyoung's arm and dragging him away from the campus.

They walked to a little cosy restaurant that wasn’t too far of the campus and sat down, the waiter coming to give them the menu.

“So, what are you going to eat?” Jinyoung asked.

“I think I’ll take spicy cold noodles.” Jaebum answered after taking a quick look over the menu.

“I’ll take donkatsu and rice.”

“Are you still on a diet?” Jaebum asked, pouting a bit.

“Of course. The drama isn’t over but they gave us a few days off because the director got fed up with the main actress, she’s so rude. A true b*tch.” Jinyoung explained, rolling his eyes before calling the waiter and telling her their choices.

“Anyway, what have you been up to lately? The semester just started so I guess nothing much?”

“Yeah, nothing much. But the project this semester is to make a choreography and we all have a partner the teacher chose.” Jaebum answered.

“That’s cool! How’s your partner? Is it a boy?” the other asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Yes, it’s a boy, a very cute one but he’s cold as ice. It’s adorable to see him put a façade on, you should see it, it’s so entertaining.” Jaebum explained, giggling.

“Is he talented?”

“Very. He’s the most famous student in our year. Boys and girls are over him but he doesn’t like anyone. I think he hates me for some reason, I don’t get it but it doesn’t bother me.” Jaebum said, shrugging.

“You wanna befriend him?”

“Of course. We’re going to work together the whole semester, I should try my best and get close to him.” He paused. “And he’s hot, seriously, we would make a great couple.” He said, making Jinyoung laugh out loud.

“Still the same! Don’t scare the poor kid off. Not everyone's as easy-going as you are.”

“I know. I’m willing to break his walls step by step. I’m gonna take my time.”

“You better.” Jinyoung said and waiter came with their food.

Just as they began to eat, the door to the restaurant opened, three people entering.

“Jungkook, shut the up for god’s sake.”

Jaebum turned around, recognising Yugyeom's voice. He saw that he was in company of Jimin and Jungkook and waved to the couple before turning back to Jinyoung.

“The one with a black t-shirt is my partner. Kim Yugyeom.” Jaebum whispered.

“Oh, I see. He’s very handsome, indeed. He looks like a cute puppy too.” Jinyoung whispered back.

“Jaebum hyung!” Jimin said, going over to their table, followed by a smiling Jungkook and a frowning Yugyeom.

“Hi, Jimin-ah! How are you?”

“I’m fine! How come you’re eating here?”

“I wanted to get away from campus to eat with Jingyoungie.”

“Hello, Jinyoung hyung. It’s been a long time since I last saw you.” Jimin said, bowing to Jinyoung.

“Yes, I remember you. It was a few months ago in Everland, right?”

“Yes! Here’s my boyfriend, Jungkook, I don’t know if you remember him.”

“Yes, the one who was begging you to do the roller coaster.” Jinyoung said, smiling to Jungkook who seemed very embarrassed.

“Yes!” Jimin exclaimed, laughing. “Can we sit next to you?”

“Of course! Here, take this table and those chairs so we could all eat together.” Said Jinyoung, winking to Jaebum who rolled his eyes.

The waiter immediately came to take the three boys’ order when Jinyoung turned to Yugyeom who sat down, looking quite displeased.

“So, young man, who are you if I may ask?”

Jungkook had to kick Yugyeom under the table so the latter noticed that Jinyoung was talking to him.

“Oh, I’m Kim Yugyeom. I major in dance, second year.” He blatantly replied, not really looking at Jinyoung.

Kinda rude, I see why Jaebum likes him, thought Jinyoung.

“So, you’re in the same year as Bummie, here?” he asked.

Yugyeom suddenly looked at him then furtively at Jaebum and then back at him.

“Yeah.” He simply replied, frowning a bit.

Just then, the waiter arrived with the boys’ orders and they began to eat, chatting about this and that.

Yugyeom felt a bit left out but he didn’t really care because he didn’t wanna talk with Jinyoung anyway. As he ate in silence, his mind was elsewhere, thinking about what was the relationship between Jinyoung and Jaebum. They were a bit too touchy, almost as much as Jimin and Jungkook were but Yugyeom didn’t care, right? Right. Why would he care? He didn’t like Jaebum at all so he shouldn’t care about him. He wasn’t in the slightest bit curious about his life, his whereabouts and who was Jinyoung for him.

Yugyeom suddenly looked at Jinyoung, feeling very annoyed. He groaned, put his spoon down, gave money for the food to Jungkook and got out of the restaurant, not even looking back once.

Jungkook was surprised by his friend’s behaviour but Jimin voiced out his thoughts.

“The hell is wrong with him? That’s so rude of him!” he said, annoyed.

“It’s okay, don’t worry.” Jinyoung said. “I think it’s better if he takes some fresh air for the time being.”

“What do you mean?” asked Jaebum.

“He was scowling at me the whole time, thinking I didn’t notice him. It was fun.” Jinyoung said, smiling and winking discreetly at Jaebum.

“What?” Jaebum asked, confused.

“I think he was jealous.” Jinyoung said, making Jaebum look at him with wide eyes.

“I don’t think so. He hates me.”

“He doesn’t hate you.” Jungkook stated, making everyone look at him. “He envies you and wish he could be like you.”

“Don’t make me laugh, Jungkook.” Jaebum said.

“I’m serious. No one knows Yugyeom better than I do. Trust me when I tell you that he doesn’t hate you.”

Jaebum sighed.

“I don’t know what to think anymore.” He stood up. “I’m sorry Jinyoungie, but I think I need to talk with my dance partner. I’ll call you tonight. See you around guys.” He said and got out of the restaurant, starting to search for Yugyeom.

He began to walk slowly, looking all around him. Jaebum wanted to find Yugyeom but he didn’t know what he would do if he did find him. They weren’t close, they weren’t even acquaintances. It was saddening him that Yugyeom didn’t want to be his friend at all. It was already hard for Jaebum to make friends because of his age and he wanted to make new friends through this project.

Just then, he spotted Yugyeom sitting down on a bench in front of the college’s entrance. He sighed and walked to him. When he was about to sit down next to the younger, the latter made a move to go away.

“Stop. Sit with me for a while.” Jaebum said. Yugyeom ignored his words and took a step when Jaebum grabbed him. Yugyeom turned towards him, shocked to see Jaebum scowling.

“Sit the hell down, right now.” Jaebum coldly said. To his surprise, Yugyeom listened to him.

“Look. We’re going to spend a whole semester together. We need to get along, whether you like it or not. So, let’s make a deal.”

“A deal?” Yugyeom asked, surprised.

“Yes.”

“And what makes you think that I’ll agree?”

“I think that you know that you have no choice.”

Yugyeom stared at Jaebum for a while and he understood that, indeed, he didn’t have a choice.

“What kinda deal do you wanna make?”

Jaebum smiled.

“One truth for one truth. If I ask you a question, you have to answer me truthfully and the same goes for me.” Jaebum explained.

Yugyeom thought about it for a second and extended his hand.

“Deal.” He said.

“Deal.” Said Jaebum, taking Yugyeom’s hand.