Chapter 3

Focus On Me

Jaebum and Yugyeom were now sitting next to each other on the bench.

“So, can I ask you a question?” Yugyeom asked, not looking at Jaebum but at his own hands instead.

“Go ahead.”

“Are you…” Yugyeom began, hesitating. “Are you in a relationship with that guy from earlier?” Yugyeom asked, his voice so quiet Jaebum almost didn’t hear it.

“Jinyoungie?” Jaebum asked, not noticing the way Yugyeom frowned at the nickname. “Are you asking if we’re together?” he carefully asked. Yugyeom nodded and he laughed. “No. we’re best friends.”

Yugyeom released a breath he didn’t know he was holding at that. He was feeling a tiny bit happier, his heart was a little lighter and he suddenly found everything surrounding him a bit more beautiful.

“Oh.” He said, a little grin gracing his lips.

“So, do you have something to do right now?” Jaebum asked.

“No.”

“Would you like to go to the practice room and begin to brainstorm with some ideas for the choreography?”

“Okay.” Yugyeom said, immediately getting up. Jaebum did the same and they began to walk side to side, in a comfortable silence.

When they arrived to the building, all the rooms were occupied but one.

“Oh no.” Yugyeom sighed.

“What?”

“It’s the practice room 15.” Yugyeom muttered, entering the room and turning the lights on.

Jaebum entered too and looked around. It wasn’t different from the other rooms. There was a mirror, a computer, speakers, somewhere to sit. The only extra thing was the shower in the back of the room.

“What’s with it?” Jaebum asked.

“You don’t know about this room?”

“Should I?”

Yugyeom sighed again, going towards the speakers and connected his phone.

“It’s time for me to tell you a story then. I guess you don’t know but teacher Boa was part of the 1Million studio in the past. She was recruited after she covered the choreography for Lee Hyori’s Chitty Chitty Bang Bang during her third year here.” Yugyeom made a short pause before resuming his story. “She entered the studio and it was the first time someone entered it while they were still a student. She quickly kinda overshadowed everyone else and was hired to become a choreographer after one year in the studio. She created her first choreography in this practice room.”

“That’s so cool!” Jaebum exclaimed.

“No, it’s not.” Yugyeom gravely said.

“Why? Maybe we’ll have the same chance as she did! It’s a legendary practice room.”

“Why do you think no one is ever here? It’s cursed. Every single person who used this room after teacher Boa either never graduated or never became a choreographer or pro dancer.” Yugyeom explained.

“Are you serious?” Jaebum scoffed.

Just then, the door opened, revealing teacher Boa.

“That’s right.” She said and the boys bowed to her.

“How did you know we were here, teacher?” Yugyeom asked.

“I didn’t know. I was just passing by to see who was already working and who wasn’t. But I’m glad I found you two.”

“Why?” Jaebum asked.

“Because I’m expecting an awesome choreography from the two of you. You’re the best students this year and that’s why I paired you two up.”

“That’s not pressuring at all.” Yugyeom muttered.

“I never said I didn’t want to pressure you.” Boa said, smiling gently at Yugyeom before turning to Jaebum. “The story Yugyeom just told you is true, by the way. I hope you’ll be able to break the curse.”

“We’ll do our best!” Jaebum said, excited.

Boa smiled and got out of the room.

“Okay, let’s begin.” Yugyeom said. He walked to the centre of the room, facing the mirror. “I’ve thought about the choreography all night and I came up with a killing part if I can say. Can you play the music so I can show you?” he asked Jaebum.

“Which part?” Jaebum asked as he was standing in front of the speakers.

“Begin at 1:08, it’s the chorus I’ve been working on.” Yugyeom said and Jaebum nodded, playing the music from 1:08.

Yugyeom got ready as the music played and began dancing when the chorus started. His movements were sharp but precise, it was kinda seductive in a way, manly but y. The chorus ended and Jaebum stopped the music. Yugyeom turned to him, looking a bit shy under Jaebum’s gaze.

“So? What do you think?”

“It’s great. I liked it a lot. That’s definitely a killing part.” Jaebum answered, smiling.

“I’m glad you liked it. It’s nothing much but that’s what I could come up with in such a short time.” Yugyeom said, blushing a bit.

“It’s really good. Let’s warm up so you can teach me.” Jaebum said, walking up to Yugyeom.

“Okay. Do you have a warming up routine?”

“No, I just stretch and stuff. Do you have one?”

“When I warm up with BamBam we usually do a dance battle. It gets us more energized. We can try it if you want.” Yugyeom explained.

“Yeah, why not? I’m used to dance alone, it could be interesting to stretch with you.” Jaebum said, coming closer to Yugyeom.

Yugyeom was a bit sad to hear that Jaebum is used to dance alone. He remembered when he was like this in high school, until he met Jungkook and BamBam. He smiled to himself and walked to the speakers.

“I’ll put any music on and you can go first, if you want.”

“Okay. Let’s do this!”

Yugyeom played an upbeat song with a lot of bass, waiting to see how good Jaebum was exactly. He saw him growing to the music at first, getting ready and when he did start, Yugyeom's jaw dropped. Jaebum started b-boying out of nowhere, as if it was as simple as saying ‘hello’. His steps became quicker as the music went on and then he spun on his hands before getting up, his hair a mess and his face all red.

“What do you think?” Jaebum asked, smiling widely.

Yugyeom couldn’t answer right away, he was too shocked to utter one word – and his heart skipped a beat at Jaebum’s smile, but he would never admit it. When he finally came back to himself, he stopped the music, staring at Jaebum.

“It was great. I really didn’t expect this but it was a good surprise. My turn now.” He said, walking to the centre of the practice room as Jaebum chuckled while going to the speakers.

Yugyeom looked at his reflection, getting himself together and trying not to think of Jaebum’s sculpted torso. Chris Brown’s ‘Discover’ began playing and Yugyeom smirked, immediately beginning to dance. Chris Brown has always been Yugyeom's favourite singer and he loved dancing to his songs, no matter when or where. At some point in the song, he made a sign for Jaebum to join him, which he did. They began dancing side to side, letting the music control their bodies. When the song ended, they were both out of breath but happy.

Yugyeom went to stop the music and looked at Jaebum.

“Now that we’re warmed up, let me teach you the killing part of our choreo.”

 

In the evening

“You’re coming in late today.” Yugyeom said as the door of his shared room with Jungkook opened.

“I spent the whole afternoon with Jiminie, I didn’t see the time pass until the sky went black.” Jungkook answered, plopping down on their couch. “But what are you doing in the kitchen?”

“I’m cooking.” Yugyeom simply answered.

“Cooking? What, instant noodles?” Jungkook asked, laughing.

“Haha, very funny. No, I’m trying to make kimbap.”

“Why?” Jungkook asked, walking to stand next to Yugyeom.

“Because tomorrow I won’t have time to eat before the practice and I’m tired of waiting in line at the cafeteria to eat sh*t.”

“Talking about the practice… how did it go with Jaebum hyung?”

“It went okay. We just began to create the choreo.” Yugyeom said, trying to roll the kimbap and failing miserably.

“What happened at lunch? Why were you so rude? Jinyoung hyung is very nice and funny, we had a lot of fun.”

“I don’t care. And I don’t wanna talk to you about it.” Yugyeom said, trying once again to roll the kimbap and failing.

“Is it about Jaebum hyung? You thought they were a couple and became jealous?”

“Would you shut up? I’m trying to make kimbaps here! If you’re not gonna help, go the away!” Yugyeom shouted, surprising Jungkook.

“So that’s it. You thought Jinyoung hyung was Jaebum’s boyfriend.” Jungkook calmly said and Yugyeom sighed.

“Yes, I thought they were a couple and yes, I was jealous. But don’t ask me why because I don’t know myself. I just know that after I asked him about it and he told me that they were only friends, I felt relieved.” Yugyeom admitted, finally succeeding in rolling the kimbap.

“What? You asked him about it?”

“Yes. We made a deal. If he asks me a question, I have to answer truthfully and vice-versa.” Yugyeom explained, carefully slicing his kimbap.

“Aren’t you afraid he’ll ask a personal question?”

“If he does I can tell him that I’m not comfortable with answering him, he will surely understand. And the same goes for him.” Yugyeom said, making another kimbap.

“If you say so.” Jungkook said before rolling his sleeves up and washing his hands. “Let me help you. Jimin taught me how to make kimbaps ages ago so I’m better at it than you.”

“Shut up, assh*le.” Yugyeom said, elbowing Jungkook in the ribs but smiling anyway.

“But seriously though. Why are you making kimbaps?” Jungkook asked, getting to work.

“I told you.” Yugyeom said, not looking at Jungkook.

“Yugyeom. I’m asking for the real reason. You know you can trust me, right? Even if it’s a stupid reason, I won’t make fun of you.” Jungkook said, getting on cutting the kimbap.

“It’s just… Jaebum hyung was so nice today and I felt super bad about how I treated him so I just wanted to thank him by bringing him lunch. But I also don’t want to eat at the cafeteria.” Yugyeom admitted, succeeding in rolling a kimbap and beginning to cut.

“It’s very interesting that you chose to make him kimbap.”

“I know. It was the first thing that came to mind.” Yugyeom deeply sighed.

“It’s okay, you know. You’re allowed to think of her.” Jungkook stated, looking warily at his best friend.

“I know. But I don’t want to. It’s upsetting.”

Both friends fell silent after that and when they were done with the kimbaps they went to sit in front of the TV, watching reruns of whatever drama, forgetting about the talk had earlier.