Are we dating? (Mitzu)

When in Doubt, Call Tzuyu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Didn’t fact check. This was only based off on what I learned in Grey’s Anatomy and we all know how accurate that show is.

This is also requested by Inisolation! Although the original prompt is workmates!Mitzu, with Mina having feelings for Tzuyu and not knowing how to confess so she asks her to join her to events, etc, etc.

Doctors AU of Twice!!

"Okay look, we can do this. We did not shed blood and tears to give up now! All those years of studying… and giving up our social life—" Dahyun, always the light in their darkest hour tried her best to put up optimism in the small tight on-call room where her friends are lying lifeless at the top and bottom bunks.

"I can't even feel my legs anymore." Chaeyoung says, her voice muffled in the pillow.

Dahyun pressed her lips in a thin line putting her hand on her hip. If Chaeyoung, the one who usually would leap at sight of a challenge is giving up now, then she may have a problem in her hands. She turns at the bottom bunk and decided to risk it. "Tzuyu? Thoughts?"

"No thoughts. Head empty." Tzuyu says monotonal as she stared off the wall, munching on her biscuit... Her lunch.

Disappointed, Dahyun whines. "Oh come on, guys!! This is not the time to be weak--"

 

"Okay, that's easy for you to say. You're in Doctor Hirai's service for a month. That's rainbows and sunshines over there at Peds, not to mention she’s a God-sent. I was at Doctor Minatozaki's service and I'm convinced she hates me," Chaeyoung groans.

"Oh..." Both Dahyun and Tzuyu said in unison, understanding their friend’s pain. Being in the Cardio Rotation is every intern’s dream… only Minatozaki Sana is a very hard person to please.

Chaeyoung continues to rant, "She asked why I was late for 2 minutes on Rounds, and I was gonna say someone vomited on my scrubs and I had to change but then she asked me to intubate and I couldn't do it without shaking my hands. I'm dead.” Dahyun and Tzuyu are sure Chaeyoung is already crying at this point, until she says, “Anyone wants to exchange with me?"

 

Dahyun and Tzuyu immediately replies, "No thanks."

 

The trio… had been friends ever since Med School.  Dahyun and Chaeyoung were tight buds, being in the same Pre-Med Course, until Tzuyu comes in Med School winning them over that they did not hesitate to include her in their little group. From then on, they had been bestfriends and relied on each other through thick and thin. Dahyun has the right attitude, the optimism, Chaeyoung has the guts, and Tzuyu has the brains. Together, they survived Med School.

 

But no one told them internship is another level of hardship that’s gonna destroy their morale. Sure, they are in one of the best teaching hospitals in the country. Sure, being on practice is different than having the safety of the walls of the classrooms. But no one told them, there would be days they’d be walking on the halls of the crowd-packed hospital, aimlessly, questioning their purpose in life. (Yes, that’s how draining it had been for them)

 

Dahyun sighs and continues to pace. She had always carried the group’s morale and she’s not gonna stop now. "Tzuyu, who's service are you at?"

Tzuyu sighs and then says, "I don't know. I go where my feet takes me."

 

Dahyun looks at her dumbfounded, "What? Tzuyu, are you okay?" Tzuyu has always been stoic, but once she warmed up to them she would joke around too. But now, she’s staring off to nowhere, looking like she’s having war flashbacks.

 

"Cut her some slack. She was at the ER with Doctor Park and there were multiple trauma this morning."

 

Beep beep

 

And just like that, the switch was flipped. The three of them panicked, grabbing onto their devices to see if the unlucky one was them. That sound already scarred them, making them feel like it’s their version of Kill Bill Siren.

 

The first to pass through is Chaeyoung, sighing in relief, even pumping her fists on the air. "Thank God, it's not me. I swear Minatozaki-nim just calls to cut my head off and to tell me I'm not cut out for this--"

Dahyun grimaces, "She's not that bad."

"You're biased 'cause she flirted with you on the bar yesterday."

"She flirted with everyone--"

"Right. How can she be so cheerful and funny off-hours and be the Devil reincarnate at work?!"

"Wait, if it's not us then--"

 

The unlucky one, Tzuyu groans, "Yeah. It's me."

Chaeyoung bends her body and hangs her head on the side, upside-down to look at Tzuyu, who’s now sitting up. "ER?"

Tzuyu shakes her head, grabbing her coat folded nicely at the drawer adjacent to the bed. "Nope. I wish it is.” She sighs and looks at them with sad eyes, “It's Doctor Myoui.”

Dahyun and Chaeyoung smile, but Tzuyu rolls her eyes and frowns, “Probably needs me to get her lunch or something."

"Tzuyu--"

 

Also there it is. Myoui Mina is their resident, in charge of the new interns, their captain, so to speak. She's not really as scary as the other doctors in the hospital. She's actually pretty approachable: answers your questions dutifully, and teaches you hands-on on procedures. She would even give them hacks on how to survive any attending's rotation. So really, the trio couldn’t ask for a better resident. They could actually feel like they can actually learn something from their seniors, and that there’s meaning to all of this after all.

 

But times like this, Tzuyu wants to bang her head on a wall or something. She would understand Doctor Minatozaki’s torture. She’s one of the most cheerful person in the hospital but is very professional at work. She’s very strict with time and work ethics. So Chaeyoung’s torture is warranted. But Doctor Myoui…

 

5 months in and the petite doctor has suddenly started ordering Tzuyu around. Tzuyu can swear Mina has a sixth sense on Tzuyu just laying around and resting. And before Tzuyu knows it, she's sprinting towards where Mina is... Only to find Mina stoically waiting for her and giving her trivial tasks...

It went from updating her charts,

Giving verbal summary of all her cases,

Asking textbook questions,

To… Getting her a meal.

Getting her coffee, a shake, a frozen yogurt, oatmeal bars, even just opening up a bottle of water for her (Tzuyu was about to lose it)

 

Things that aren't necessarily supposed to be Tzuyu's job. But Tzuyu can only sigh. First day of internship, they told them they were interns, bottom of the Surgical Chain, foundation of the Authority Totem Pole.

 

Mina could ask Tzuyu to go to the moon, and Tzuyu would say, ‘Sure. Do you want me to get you a souvenir?’

Mina would click her fingers and Tzuyu would happily wag her tail and follow her around. At least she’s nice to look at, right?

"So you're crushing on the intern?"

"Okay, before you get mad--"

"Who said I'm mad?"

"Uhmm... The angry swirls in your paper could be one indication."

Sana looks down sheepishly. But stopped swirling. She leans in and puts her face on the palm of her hand, smiling fondly at Mina. She laughs and says, "I mean... She's pretty cute I guess."

Mina glares at Sana and Sana just giggles. Sana taps her nose and pinches it in return.

"You guess?” Momo scoffs, throwing her grape towards Sana. “She's the talk at my Department. The pretty intern with the legs to die for, and is actually pretty handy. As Jihyo said: she's like a robot. You ask for something, anything, and she delivers." Momo gushes and then pats Mina’s back almost saying, ‘Good choice.’ "Can't wait ‘till I have her on my service. When does her rotation in the ER ends?"

Mina smiles at Momo shyly and then puts her hair behind her ear. Sana would raise her eyebrow at the gesture. Mina turns to Momo and shrugs, "Jihyo requested her for another week. She's been fond of her."

Momo pouts and whines, "What happens to quality teaching and diverse experience? Come on... Let me have her!"

Sana laughs and says, "Jihyo can get whatever she wants. Ever since she’s been head of Trauma, they rarely lose patients in there. Surgeons should keep up.” At Momo’s whine and protest, Sana turns to her teasingly, “Ehh. Maybe I should have her instead. I need someone handy. You can have Son. That kid is gonna her pants even before she gets inside an OR."

 

The two attendings laugh, but Mina just shakes her head. “Don’t be too harsh. She’s alright.”

The three of them were interrupted by someone clearing . Mina straightened her back, recognizing it.

 

A soft voice came flowing in, “Doctor Myoui, you paged?"

The trio had suddenly went quiet. Momo and Sana took a side-glance to Mina before turning their attention to the tall intern. Her brown hair is flowing at the side of her face and they took this time to admire her beauty. They know how stressful it could be, especially on their Post-Duty Shift… and Tzuyu for her part, looked like she just woke up from a beauty rest. Aside from her tired eyes, she looks like she’s just about ready to start a new cycle of shift.

 

Mina changed her expression. From having a soft and cheerful front, she now has a cold and reserved façade. She slowly looks up to Tzuyu and tried to calm her beating heart. She knew the girl has been busy on the ER and she wanted to congratulate her for a job well done. From a far, she can see Jihyo’s tired face, just now entering the Doctor’s Lounge, so she knew Tzuyu hasn’t eaten her lunch yet.

 

Calm down, Mina. You can do this.

 

She takes a sip from her drink, and Tzuyu would follow her movements with her eyes, hugging the pile of charts on her arms tightly. The stare of the two attendings is making her nervous.

 

Ask her to join you.

"Where are my charts?" Is what came out of Mina’s mouth.

 

Later she would reprimand herself, being the useless little bean that she is. And from the looks Momo and Sana are giving her, she knows they’ll be teasing her after this.

 

Tzuyu jumps a little on Mina’s snark. She hands the pile of charts to Mina slowly, careful not to drop anything. "Here...--"

Mina raises her eyebrow and looks at her, "Is this--"

Tzuyu nods, already knowing where this is going. "Yes. Organized from High-risk to Low-risk, just like you wanted. Are we doing rounds?"

Mina almost smiles, trying hard to mask being impressed, "We should. Have you reviewed them?"

"Yes... Do you want a verbal summary?"

"I'm eating my lunch... As you can see."

"Oh..." Tzuyu shifts her weight from one foot to another, not really sure why she's paged. Doctor Myoui looks like she doesn't really need her now. Actually, she felt like she just interrupted her private time, with the two attendings by her side, not hiding their smiles towards her. She looks at her resident's tray and realized she got a barely touched meal, a juice... And a banana. Uhm... Why else is she here? She shifts her weight from one food to another, and fidgets with her hands, "Do you need me to... Get you... Uhm... Dessert?"

 

Mina’s eyes widen, and Sana couldn’t stop herself from giggling. Tzuyu looks at them confused. Momo taps the table and says, "Tzuyu-ssi, have you eaten?"

Tzuyu would almost relax at Momo’s warm welcome. She always had the reputation of being the most approachable attending. Still, the presence of Sana in the table is making her nervous, having heard of Chaeyoung’s rant, so she stutters, "Y-yes, Doctor Hirai."

Momo side-eyes Mina’s dejected face and then turns to Tzuyu, looking at her amused, "Really? 'Cause I was gonna ask you to join us."

Tzuyu’s eyes widen. If she wasn’t busy panicking, she would’ve noticed Mina’s reaction as well and her kicking Momo under the table. "Oh uhm... That's very nice of you but I--"

Sana, amused with the situation decided to chime in. She was always Momo’s partner-in-crime and Mina had always been their baby. "Are you saying ‘No’ to your attending?"

Tzuyu gulps, "I mean... I can get some salad and a juice."

Sana raises her eyebrows at this.

Tzuyu just stood there and nods firmly, "Yes... I will! I'll be right back." She bows her head to her seniors and then started sprinting towards the cafeteria. Momo and Sana started laughing, with Mina glaring at them. And then Tzuyu stops, and then jogged back to them. As if on cue, the duo stopped laughing and Mina averted her eyes, suddenly finding her veggies interesting. Tzuyu bows again before speaking, "Do you want anything?"

Sana shrugs and takes a sip from her water. "Why don't you get us something? Go figure what we like. And I'll let you in on my surgery if you do get it right."

"W-what? Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm joking to you?"

Tzuyu’s eyes widen, recognizing Sana’s tone and then shakes her head profusely. "N-no!"

Sana smirks, enjoying Tzuyu’s reactions. She would admit she is adorable. She decides to mess with her more, "If you do get it wrong though...--" She narrows her eyes, looking darkly at Tzuyu and it made Tzuyu’s knees weak.

Thankfully, Momo intervenes, "Stop torturing the girl." No intern would survive without Momo. She turns to Tzuyu, "She's messing with you. Just get us what you're getting. And get Mina some--"

“Oatmeal bar with chocolate chips” Tzuyu answers, already memorized. Being Mina’s lap dog as Jeongyeon would , she almost had Mina figured out.

The three at the table look at her amused and she would blush, looking away.

Before Tzuyu could turn away, Sana regards her, “Chou, don’t run.”

Tzuyu looks at her confused, but nods anyway. She bows her head and then started walking away… slowly, feeling conscious that she has three pairs of eyes on to her.

 

As Tzuyu walks away, the three couldn’t help but stare at her back with Momo nodding and saying, "Even with those scrubs, she has a nice ."

Sana nods in agreement, training her eyes from the tall girl’s long neck down to her .

Mina rolls her eyes, and hits Momo's arm playfully. "You guys are mean."

 

"Oh, we're mean? You're the one paging her for no reason just so you can spend time with her."

"and stare at her ."

"I'm not--"

In unison, Momo and Sana say, "Really?"

 

Mina whines and pouts, "Okay, fine. But what am I supposed to do? You told me to find a way for us to spend time together."

Sana glares at Momo. And Momo raises her hands in surrender. "I meant outside work. You know... Like ask her out. Not order her around."

Mina’s eyes widen, clearly panicking, "I can't ask her out! I... I'm her resident. Isn't that against--"

Momo snorts and says jokingly, "Sana had slept with tons of interns. I'm actually surprised she hasn't started in this year’s batch."

Sana gasps and points at Momo accusingly, "Hey! You're one to talk, aren't you--"

Momo cracks up and winks, "Actually, it's why I'm waiting till I have your cute little errand girl on my service. I'll make my move then."

At that Mina whines at the blonde on her right, "Hey!"

Momo snickers, hugging Mina, "Kidding."

 

"But really. Just ask her out."

Sana snorts, "Where's the fun in that?"

Sana is watching Mina on her phone with curiosity. Having known to be clingy when she’s off-duty, she didn’t hesitate to go behind Mina and hug her from behind.

Mina jumps at the gesture but relaxed immediately when she recognized who it was. “Sana.”

Sana hums and puts her head over Mina’s shoulder, snaking her hand in the girl’s front. “What got you smiling?”

Mina laughs lightly and leans in to Sana’s touch. “So… I followed Momo’s advice… and asked Tzuyu out.”

Sana gasps and her eyes widen at the information. Excited, she was ready to gush with Mina. Before she can speak though, Mina lowers her head and took it back, “Okay not really.”

That was quick.

Sana pouts and look at her curiously.

Mina shrugs, and slowly turns to Sana, not getting away from her hug. “I mean… I waited till her shift is over and offered to drive her home… and then said that we should get some drinks.”

At that, Sana had the same reaction but twice as comical.

Reading Sana’s mind, Mina took it back again. “It’s not what you’re thinking! We really just had two drinks because I noticed she really was tired and then I drove her home!” She can’t help but mumble, “I mean I guess that’s progress, right? Now I know where she lives…"

The gears are turning in Sana’s head and before Mina knows it she was being pulled aside, away from possible gossipers. Sana looks at her dead in the eyes and then inhaled deeply. Mina looks at her confused and Sana would think the two of them are really two sides of the same coin. “Listen, Minari. I know you can barely flirt normally. I mean sure, there were times that you’re y, but…  the first step here is… really just to ask her out on a date. And maybe lose the authorative tone, so she wouldn’t think you’d kick her out of your service if she says no.”

Mina tilts her head and chews on her lip. She seems to think about it but creases her eyebrows, “Okay, but didn’t you say to be creative? I was thinking, maybe now, I can drive her home and we can spend time together… talking. I mean we talked last night, and I learned little things about her. Did you know she likes to jog in the morning to clear her head?”

Sana smiled at how cute Mina is being but clicks her tongue. This might work with Momo and they love Mina to the moon and back but she really is on the other side of the spectrum when it comes to this. “Yes, but she’s on her Cardio rotation… which means you don’t really have the same schedule. Later, she’ll catch on and realize you’re just waiting for her… You catch my drift?”

Mina shakes her head.

Sana sighs in frustration, “Some would think, you’re being a stalker and coming on to her a bit hard.”

When Mina pouts, Sana was already ready to grab Tzuyu and make her date Mina. But she decided against it and cleared her mind. As Spiderman’s Uncle Ben once said, “With great power comes great responsibility.”

 

Oh great. She’s quoting Marvel now. The DCU fan in her is seething.

 

“This is hopeless… I’m hopeless, right? Maybe it’s too soon for me.”

Sana’s eyes widen and shakes her head, now determined to console Mina. “Look, I’m 642% behind you on this, alright? If you think you’re ready for this, then you should go for it. Tzuyu is not her.”

Mina looks at her with sad eyes, not losing her pout. “Yes, but it’s wrong. She’s… She’s my intern. There has to be some rule? I’m already taking advantage of her… ordering her around and—”

Sana feels bad for Mina, now thinking them messing with her head has finally caught up to her. She squeezes Mina’s shoulder and then says, “If it’s consensual, then you’re not breaking any rule.” She hugs Mina and pats her head, making the resident lean into her. “I’m sure, if she gets to know you, she’d definitely fall for you. You’re amazing Mina, and you’re definitely anyone could ever ask for in a girlfriend. If Tzuyu can’t see it, then she’s not worth it.”

Mina looks up to Sana, saying softly, “That’s not what she said.”

Sana clenches her jaw, tightening her hold on Mina. She would blame the ex for ruining Mina’s self-confidence, for leaving them to put the pieces back together, for shattering Mina’s heart… for breaking Mina, their Mina… She can still remember on how devastated she is, on how she can barely function. So really no one can blame her if she’s ready to build a barricade around Mina and to stand on a post, ready to shoot fire on anyone trying to steal Mina’s heart. (Dramatic, she would agree, but Sana can be really protective of Mina)

 

It was a surprise for her when Mina told her she has a crush on someone… on an intern no less. Sana was delighted, ‘cause a year later and Mina has moved on! And the first thing Sana did was pull up Chou Tzuyu’s file and did a background check on her. If this is someone else, she would’ve been strict with the No Fraternizing Policy in the Hospital. But it has never caused an issue at the hospital. Most of the doctors had dated each other, really just going around to who’s available. So the next thing Sana did is pull strings to get Tzuyu on her service, and realized she really is what Park Jihyo claims her to be. Ace Tzuyu, is what they call her. The promising intern of this batch. It makes Sana more frustrated ‘cause she’s dead on set finding a hole to this girl’s façade.

 

The only hole she finds is Mina’s… way of flirting.

 

She’s not gonna blame the poor girl. In Mina’s past relationship, she was the one who was pursued, not the one pursuing. And with her and Momo as role models, she’s not really set off on a good start.

Chaeyoung puts her hand over Tzuyu’s shoulder as she peeks into Tzuyu’s post it. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say Doctor Myoui likes you.”

Dahyun snorts and threw her stress ball to the air. “You mean, likes to order her around.”

Chaeyoung half-shrugs and then points to Tzuyu, “She’d always buy you a drink when we’re out and has been driving you home. And now you’re communicating through post its.”

Tzuyu puts the post it in her pocket and then turns to her friend. “The post it literally says the patient’s dosage.”

Chaeyoung shrugs and mumbles, “There’s a heart on it.”

Tzuyu rolls her eyes, “’cause he’s a Cardio patient.”

Chaeyoung narrows her eyes at Tzuyu, “Okay, but admit… that she doesn’t order you around anymore. She’s actually been nicer to you.”

Dahyun laughs and switches from one hand to another. “Doctor Myoui had always been nice.”

“But not to me.”

“Eh. We just have our own match. Doctor Myoui for you. Doctor Minatozaki for me. Doctor Park for Dahyun. At least their certain traits can be masked by how good they look.”

Dahyun winced, “Please don’t remind me. Tzuyu forgot to tell me ER is not for the faint of heart.”

Tzuyu laughs, “Who’s match is Doctor Hirai?”

Chaeyoung nudges her and says, “She’s our savior, alright? She’s the one who’s gonna help us survive internship and our residency when it comes down to it.”

Panic.

Chaos.

Mess.

Blood.

 

Everything was fine until it wasn’t.

 

For the first time in months since Tzuyu started her internship in Mina’s service, she had paged her. She’s never paged her. She’d always come running to her.

Code Blue.

She knows it can be life or death in the hospital but she never thought it'll be this bad. When Mina got onto the patient’s room, the patient was breathing heavily, there were blood on the floor, and Tzuyu is standing over the patient, with blood all over her scrubs and her coat… it really looked like something out of a gore film.

 

Tzuyu is keeping pressure at the side of the patient’s neck and Mina had never seen Tzuyu that stressed. Tzuyu’s eyes brighten at the sight of her, and maybe if this doesn’t look very bad, Mina’s heart would leap. “His artery blew, Doctor Myoui.”

 

“It’s okay, I’m right here.” Is the first thing Mina said. And at that time, she’d finally say, “You’re doing great.”

Tzuyu shakes her head, her eyes glistening, “My… my hands slipped a couple of times. And he’s losing a lot of blood. But it’s okay… I paged Doctor Minatozaki. She’ll fix this right?”

Mina bit her lip, handing Tzuyu gauze, “There’s no OR, they’re cramped in there.”

Tzuyu nods and blinked fast, “Okay, but she’s coming right? She’ll fix thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter