Catfish (MiChaeng/Mitzu/Chaeyu

When in Doubt, Call Tzuyu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lmao, this was supposed to be fullblast Michaeng but ended up with a big gray area of the trio. Sorry!! TT

Tzuyu looks at the 'smol' girl in front of her and wondered what the hell she was thinking. She has been loving (yes... That much. Present perfect progressive. Always has been, happening now, and will continue to do so) Chaeyoung with every fiber of her being. But moments like this, she's convinced this midget likes to push her limit.

 

"Let me get this straight.... You made a dating profile with my picture, my name... Has been talking to strangers, most probably serial killers... Giving my pictures... And somehow you expect me to go on a date with this random girl??? In what scenario did you think I would agree to this?"

 

"In all scenarios, Tzuyu. You've never said No to her."

 

"Not the time, unnie." Tzuyu says as she kicks Jeongyeon’s sheen under the table. The short-haired girl is clearly having the best time watching everything unfold in front of her.

 

"Just saying." She says as she winces in pain, throwing her fries towards Tzuyu, which the tall girl snaps away in reflex.

 

Chaeyoung reaches for Tzuyu’s hand across the table, "I will admit, it was supposed to be just a prank! Just to see how many pm’s you can get in a day. Mina was just kind of unexpected…?”

 

When Tzuyu just narrows her eyes, Chaeyoung continues, “Tzuyu, please. I really like this girl. She's so cool and so pretty--"

 

"I couldn't care less what she's like." She ignores the pained look Chaeyoung gave her, "If you really like her, then send her your picture! And go on a date with her!"

 

Chaeyoung pouts, not giving up, "But... She saw your picture! She said you were really pretty--."

 

Tzuyu looks at her aghast and convinced all common sense had left her. "And really, you thought I'll be flattered? I'm feeling creeped out... And to be honest, a bit used."

 

"She's not a creep, Tzuyu. She's really decent. She works at that Dev Company in the Main Street. She also likes to play video games! Ooh, ooh! She’s a foreigner just like you!--"

 

Tzuyu heaved a sigh… There’s so many things that are wrong with this… But Chaeyoung… is so excited.

 

"--And honestly, I think you'll like her."

 

“On the right circumstance… maybe. But not with this. Definitely not with this!” Tzuyu sighs. She looks down on Chaeyoung’s phone to scroll briefly on her message thread with… Minari37. "You've been talking to her for almost two months on a daily basis. She must be thinking about my face, but she has obviously liked your personality." Tzuyu tried to reason with Chaeyoung. Try being the operative word.

 

"We wouldn't even match if she didn't see your pictures."

 

Tzuyu grimaces when she accidentally closes the thread and saw countless of messages on Tzuyoda25’s inbox.

 

Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon had always been in the same wavelength of humor, something Tzuyu will never get. So when Jeongyeon said it would be ‘funny’ to make a dating profile for Tzuyu, Chaeyoung didn’t even think twice before pulling out her phone. Both of them has tons of pictures of Tzuyu; she has been their muse in photography and portraits, and Chaeyoung knows Tzuyu better than the tall girl herself, so her profile was a bit spot on.

 

Chaeyoung just didn’t expect to actually like this particular girl. She was mindlessly looking at those who messaged Tzuyu (which was really a lot), when she saw the girl’s picture.

 

One thing led to another and before Chaeyoung could stop it, she had managed to score a date with Mina.

 

But seeing as Tzuyu is not even an ounce interested, Chaeyoung starts feeling hopeless. All the what could have been’s will never see the light as she gives in, "You know what? Fine. Forget it. I'm sorry I did this to you. I was being inconsiderate.” She starts putting her things in her bag, didn’t even care her food is untouched. She starts feeling her eyes well up in tears, but she’ll be damned if she cries in front of Tzuyu and Jeongyeon.

 

She’s never felt like this before. Always looking forward to chatting with Mina, always nervous yet excited talking to her. Now, she can never talk to her again. It's weird feeling like this for someone else.

 

“It’s not like she’s ever gonna like me anyway.” Her voice cracked, and she’s sure her eyes are watering right now. Damn it. She was supposed to hold it in.

 

No. Don’t. Tzuyu, just look away. You’re in the right this time… Just look away… You’ll get pass this…

 

But Tzuyu feels her chest tightening, hearing those words from Chaeyoung as she watches her bestfriend struggle to put everything in her bag. The pages on her sketchbook are getting folded, and the girl right in front of her doesn’t even care.

 

So she relents, “Okay, fine. Just one date.”

 

.

 

Chaeyoung’s face brightens up. Tzuyu can suddenly breathe again. “Really?” Chaeyoung says, her voice small, her eyebrows almost joining.

 

She gave you an out. Just ing take it.

 

Tzuyu bites her lip before saying, “Just one. And then you tell her the truth.”

 

Here we go again...

 

“Oh my God! I love you so much! So so much, Tzuyu! You’re the best! Have I told you that?” Chaeyoung runs to her from the other side of the table, hugging her tight. Kissing the side of her face multiple times while jumping in her spot. Tzuyu just sighs.

 

Idiot. Idiot. Idiot.

 

Chaeyoung quickly grabs the phone from Tzuyu’s hand. Probably going to Minari’s thread and sending her a message about the date. Tzuyu just watches her, still wondering what’s going on in her head.

 

“You’re so whipped.” Jeongyeon teases her.

 

“Shut up.”

 

“I mean… Nayeon would look like an amateur in spoiling her next to you.”

 

“Just… can we not talk about this? Like ever?”

 

Instead, Jeongyeon singsongs, “Tzuyu got a date~~”

 

Idiot.

Tzuyoda25: The amount of erts in these app is insane. They should have a separate app for booty calls and a separate app for getting to know people and stuff.

Minari37: Lol. Someone bothering you?

Tzuyoda25: I really just ignore everyone else’s messages esp when it notifies that they’ve sent a picture.

Minari37: Ugh. Some men are trash.

Minari37: You can just block them.

Tzuyoda25: It’s fine. I don’t read them. I only open your messages. 😊

Tzuyoda25: Just sometimes, I accidentally click on their notifications and see what I shouldn’t see and I’m scarred for life.

Minari37: Awww poor baby.

Minari37: I… can give you my number and we can text instead?

Minari37: I wouldn’t spam you or call you or anything if that’s what you’re worried about.

Minari37: Though… it would be nice to finally hear your voice 😊 Momo is teasing me you’re not a real person and that I’m actually about to date a total creep. I defended your honor, don’t worry. 😉

Minari37: I… didn’t make this weird, right?

Tzuyoda25: No… No! Yeah, sure, we can text. I mean… We’re going on a date really soon. It’s about time, right?

Tzuyoda25: We can… facetime as well.

Minari37: Really?

Tzuyoda25: Yeah… I mean not right now, ‘cause I’m busy. Maybe later tonight? I’ll call you?

Minari37: I can’t wait 😊

Minari37: Is 7 okay?

As if, reviewing their chat thread isn’t enough…

 

“You have got to be kidding me.” Tzuyu growls.

 

“Please! Her friends are a little skeptical that a pretty girl like you would go on a date with her.”

 

“With the right reasons, I would assume...” Tzuyu mumbles under her breath.

 

“Tzuyu, just this once please. I’ve never asked anything from you.”

 

“Do you want me to start from last week’s list? Or this month’s? If you give me time, I can pull up this year’s too.”

 

“Tzuyu, come on…. You would never understand how much of a big deal this is for me. You’ve always been pretty. ‘Didn’t even hit that awkward phase of puberty. Always had other people wrapped around your fingers… please. I’ve never had this.”

 

‘You have me.’ Is all Tzuyu can think about. Instead she chuckles bitterly.

 

She’s sure she’s about to have an aneurism just listening to Chaeyoung. And she’s about ready to rebut everything she had just heard. She had never liked it when Chaeyoung puts herself down. She looks at her and wonder why can’t Chaeyoung see herself the way Tzuyu sees her?

 

She also hates it when people see her for her looks… Only for her looks. Which is what she’s feeling right now. But Chaeyoung is her bestfriend, and she knows she doesn’t mean any harm.

 

So again, she relents, “What am I supposed to say?”

 

“I’ll be behind the screen the whole time, guiding you on what to say”

 

A video call… is a point of no return, buddy. You do it and she’ll realize you’re a real person. Just say N-O.

 

“I’m not… very good at this, Chae.”

 

Okay, so close. Now tell her NO. 

 

But Chaeyoung is relentless. She comes to Tzuyu's side quickly and puts her arms around Tzuyu, “No, no! just be positive! I’ll be right here.”

 

For ’s sake Tzuyu… Ignore the face. Ignore the pout. Ignore the ey--

 

“Okay.”

 

What’s the point of having an inside voice if you’re not listening??

 

Minari37: Have you ever felt like being in a crowded room yet you’re so… lonely?

Tzuyoda25:  Hmmm… sometimes.

Tzuyoda25: Wanna tell me what happened?

Minari37: I don’t want to dampen your mood ☹

Minari37: I’ll be fine. I usually let this pass.

Tzuyoda25: You can tell me anything.

Tzuyoda25: I mean, I know it’s not always gonna be rainbows and sunshine.

Minari37: Rainbows and sunshine?

Tzuyoda25: I said what I said. Haha

Minari37: Alright.

Minari37: I’m just… sometimes I hate it when we need to smile /all the time/, and be polite and just /not/ sulk, you know?

Minari37: Deep inside, I’m all angry, sad, and confused. I just don't wanna be this big disappointment to anyone.

Minari37: I just want acceptance, someone to love, someone I can trust, someone who just understands and doesn’t push me out of this ‘darkness’. Someone who will wait for me in the dark and hold my hand and doesn’t force things to be ‘okay’. Someone who doesn't fix me.

Minari37: And I hate ranting to my friends. They're very nice people! But I don't want to keep on bothering them about this and ruining the mood?? Idek what 'this' is. It's just there... inside me... making me feel sad.

Tzuyoda25: First of all… you are Not a disappointment! You’re really intelligent and someone I look up to!

Tzuyoda25: Second, Idk your friends but from what you have told me, they care about you very much and would listen to your rants. And it’s not a burden! I mean, we’ve known each other for 2 months and I don’t mind reading about your rants.

Tzuyoda25: Third, I’m sorry to hear about this. I really don’t like knowing you’re upset. And I know my words can only do so much. I wish I can hug you and whisper you all the things you need to hear. Or even tell you that things will get better. I really hope you hang on tight… until the day comes that you can actually feel better.

 Minari37: You... actually make me feel better. :)

Minari37: Just knowing you're there...

Tzuyu has read their chat a countless times already, she was sure she’s ready to gag at how sweet they are. It's weird for her... to see Chaeyoung talk like that. Like Mina has taken over her life. Like it was so easy for Mina to just get Chaeyoung. (When it took Tzuyu about 6 months or so to even say hi) 

 

“You just have to smile and wave.” Is what Chaeyoung has told her.

 

And make small talks.

 

And then fake an emergency that she has to go… So Chaeyoung can take over in chat. As simple as that.

 

Chaeyoung is also at the back of the laptop, sitting across her, jumping on her seat with a bright smile in her face, looking expectantly at her. Right now, she’s making doodles in her sketchbook, ready to give Tzuyu hints.

 

Now, how will Tzuyu find it in herself to disappoint?

 

She hears the ding that signals the call has been connected. She straightens her body, ready to put up her act.

 

When the screen changes, two blondes had appeared from the other side, smiling brightly at her. Tzuyu’s eyes widen in confusion. Chaeyoung had showed her a picture of Mina and none of her is on the other line. She looks from one person to another, almost mistaking them as twins, wondering who they are. She’s about to laugh, thinking Minari37 has also used someone else’s photo, when the other one with the more prominent cheeks, gasp and shouts, “Oh my gosh, she’s so pretty, Minari. I can’t believe she really is so pretty.”

 

The other one leans her face closer to the camera that zoomed in her round eyes, “Ahh~~ She’s real, Minari. She’s real.”

 

Tzuyu let them squabble in front of the camera and then she looks back at Chaeyoung still lost, wondering what on Earth she had put her through. She’s laughing and putting her thumbs up. And all Tzuyu can think of is how she actually wants to punch her in the face.

 

She writes on her paper and then turns it to Tzuyu:

MOMO AND SANA -> Mina’s roommates

 

She waves her hand, urging Tzuyu to say hi.

 

Tzuyu clears , only to realize it scratches because it has been dried. She should have gotten some water or something. She her lips before saying, “Konnichi wa.” Then she smiles, hoping it doesn’t look forced.

 

Both of them stops talking and puts their hands in their mouths in sync. Tzuyu is convinced they are twins.

 

“Uhhh… Tzuyu! Konnichi wa!” Chuu-iih

 

Tzuyu fought herself from rolling her eyes. Another nickname from your new Japanese friends!

 

Instead she waves a little.

 

"Kawaii~~ She's so cute! Omo!"

“Her voice is so soft! Kyah!~~”

 

This is what she’s worried about. She’s not really good at making conversations with strangers, and she mostly takes her social cues from around her. And the fast switching from Japanese and Korean is making her dizzy.

 

They introduce themselves almost comically. Tzuyu giggles at their antics. Both of them swoons when (Tzuyu would assume) her dimple decided to show itself.

 

Thankfully, another girl came in and pushed herself in the middle of the two.

 

Myoui Mina, hey you.

 

Tzuyu finally saw her. Her wavy hair, flowing at the side of her shoulders, her bangs covering a bit of her eyes (which she consciously fixes). Tzuyu can also see a bit of makeup, a light blush-on, and her eyebrows drawn angled, there’s also a slight tinge of pink lipstick on her lips.

 

Tzuyu suddenly felt conscious; ‘didn’t even bothered to put something in her face.

 

Well, you didn’t say you were bringing your A game.

 

Chaeyoung motions for her to talk, but she’s struggling with what.

 

Tzuyu continues to look at Mina, which isn’t that hard. The two of her roommates were talking about something, arguing more like it, while Mina is sitting still staring at the camera, probably doing that same thing Tzuyu is doing: observing.

 

Tzuyu concludes Chaeyoung has good taste. Which is not a surprise to her, to be honest. Artists always have good taste.

 

 "Hi... I didn't think you'd really call." Mina whispers.

 

It was soft, but Tzuyu heard it. Momo and Sana stop talking and look at her with a teasing smile. It somehow reminded Tzuyu of Nayeon and Jeongyeon.

 

From across her, she saw Chaeyoung smile at the sound of Mina's voice. And for a second, Tzuyu thought this is all worth it.

 

She sees Mina tilts her head on the side, “Hmm. You changed your hair?”

 

Tzuyu consciously brings her hand to her hair. “I… yeah? I dyed it last week.”

 

“It suits you. You look really beautiful. I can’t wait to see you in person.”

 

Whoop. There it is.

 

Tzuyu presses her lips in a thin line. Nodding slightly, swallowing the guilt. She had watched enough movies to tell her this wouldn’t end on a good note.

 

“Me too.” She manages to say. "You look really pretty as well.” Without thinking she says, “I keep thinking about this... What your voice would sound like... And it's.... different..?"

 

WHY?? You could have put a nice adjective in there and be done with it, but noooo…. You settled with the vague 'different'....???????

 

Chaeyoung's smile quickly drops and slaps her forehead with her palm. Mina's smile also drops and the three of them looks at her in confusion. Chaeyoung moves her hand in loop, urging her to continue.

 

Recover... QUICKLY. You don’t have to lie… Just choose your truths…

 

"I meant... Talking to you is making me nervous..." Tzuyu smiles shyly. When in doubt, just smile.

 

The trio on the other line looks at Tzuyu, each of them plastering different smiles.

 

 "What... did you expect?"

 

Okay... Another window. Just breathe... You can do this.

 

Tzuyu.. Did breathe... And remembers what their conversations were about. It's usually casual conversations. But more of Chaeyoung rambling, and Mina organizing her thoughts and leading.

 

From there Tzuyu had known Mina can take charge. But she wouldn't force the wheel into her hands, no. She will let you drive and guide you accordingly. (Why she is using this as an example... is a mystery to her)

 

Great. You're so screwed. Your bestfriend will die alone because you can't even flirt properly. Great.

 

Shut the up, Tzuyu almost whispers. Chaeyoung should have used Jeongyeon's picture. Jeongyeon would know what to say.

 

"Uhm... “

 

Well to be fair, Tzuyu doesn't know where she's going with this.

 

Mina waits for Tzuyu patiently, her lips almost turning upwards. It’s small but Tzuyu sees it.

  

Tzuyu knows what Chaeyoung would say. She would gush at how soft, gentle and warm (whatever that is) Mina’s voice is. It was staring right in front of her… Chaeyoung had written it out, ready to help her out. But the words were stuck in .

 

Maybe, because Tzuyu thinks, behind the pretty face and the reserved smile, a confident girl lies beneath. Someone who knows what she wants. Someone just waiting, and observing. Someone testing.

 

She’s a ballerina… The Black Swan, Tzuyu remembers reading. It’s one of those rare occasions, Mina had shared something about herself. What a tragic love story, Tzuyu thinks.

 

It means she’s deliberate, measured, and calm.

 

Tzuyu swallows the lump in , barely grazing a bit of wetness, “It’s more of what it made me feel…”

 

Chaeyoung is now looking at her furious. She encircles the words she had written, but Tzuyu ignores.

 

“I was excited, nervous, and a bit…” She looks at Chaeyoung one more time before settling, “All over the place.” Tzuyu enjoys it a bit when she sees Chaeyoung’s frown. She sighs, and then speaks softly, “And then I heard your voice… and it’s like… Oh. It’s you. This… is finally happening”

 

It’s the most Tzuyu had expressed something. But she keeps in mind… it’s not about showing herself. It’s about who Chaeyoung is.

 

Because just as Chaeyoung know who Tzuyu is, Tzuyu can say the same about Chaeyoung.

 

“I thought… it would make me feel collected and sure. Now, I’m just feeling everything at once.” Tzuyu smiles, almost genuine. Almost.

 

Tzuyu is nervous. That’s nowhere near as any pickup line Nayeon would’ve made. Or a joke, Jeongyeon would’ve cracked.

 

But it’s gotta be close to what Chaeyoung is feeling.

 

Mina keeps her lower lip in between her teeth, still looking at the camera. Momo was looking at Mina, waiting for a reply. Sana still has her eyes on the screen.

 

“She’s a mature one, isn’t she?” Sana says, her face now anchored in the palm of her hand. There’s also something in her tone Tzuyu couldn’t figure out. But she’s smiling fondly at the screen, which Tzuyu took as a good sign?

 

If Chaeyoung had told her, this video call would have been a personality test she had to pass, then she would have never agreed to it.

 

Lol. I’m so done with this . Chaeyoung would’ve asked you for one of your kidneys, and you would’ve given her both, no questions asked.

 

Mina parts her lips slightly, and Tzuyu holds a breath in anticipation.

 

“And she’s mine.”

 

The great thing about having the twins, as Tzuyu would refer Sana and Momo, is that even though Mina can say stuff like that with the infuriating smirk, claiming her like a damn item, they would laugh afterwards and gang up on her. So really there was no time for the tension to even exist, and for Tzuyu to overthink.

 

She quickly changes the topic, showing one of Chaeyoung’s sketches. And then drops to the more familiar topics: like Mina’s taste in music, or Chaeyoung’s new-found inspiration in art. She lets Chaeyoung lead, not even bothering to put any of her input.

“What are you doing here?” Tzuyu groans. She looks at the time and it’s barely 7am.

 

“I need to send a picture of you waking up so I can tell her good morning” Chaeyoung says as she dips into the bed, getting a good angle of Tzuyu.

 

“Okay…”

 

Realizing what she had just heard, she opens her eyes quickly and turns to Chaeyoung, “Wait… what the ?”

 

“Tzuyu no! Augh. This picture is a bit blurry because you moved!” Chaeyoung said, now looking at her phone.

 

Tzuyu grabs Chaeyoung’s phone, getting her attention, “What did you just say??”

 

“It’s blurry. Now we have to do it ag--“

 

“No, Chaeyoung. No point in doing this! We'll go on a date later... But you'll tell her the truth, right?”

 

Chaeyoung bites lower lip, which is never a good sign. “Maybe… I’m not ready?”

 

“We’ve talked about this Chaeyoung!! One date and then the truth!”

 

“But you didn’t see what she was saying… She likes how you laugh! She even wanted to call last night just to hear your voice!”

 

“Chaeyoung… do you not realize that we can’t keep doing this? The more we prolong this… the more hurt she’ll be when you tell her the truth.”

 

Chaeyoung starts sulking, “I know. I just don’t know what to say”

 

“I’ll help you. How about, ‘hey. This would really sting and you’d feel betrayed… but I’m really not Tzuyu. I'm Chaeyoung. So can we start over—'”

 

“That’s not gonna work.”

 

“Would you rather I’d be a total to her? And then you come and fix her broken heart? Which I don't know how will work 'cause I'm your bestfriend. And if you’re gonna be dating her, we would have to learn how to co-exist!”

 

“Tzuyu, please don’t be a to her”

 

“Then tell her the truth. It’s the only way, Chaeng. If you actually want to date Mina… then you have to.”

 

Tzuyu can't believe her eyes that Chaeyoung is actually feeling bad when Tzuyu was the one who's forced to go on a date with Mina. Sure, Mina is pretty. Sure she made her nervous. But Tzuyu has every right to not even put up with this.

 

Chaeyoung pouts, now fidgeting at her phone looking down. She's mumbling something about how loving Mina is way different than what she had ever felt. That it's scary for her. That the fear of rejection has consumed her.

 

Tzuyu groans in frustration and she genuinely hates herself for not taking her own advice. How hard is it ignore Chaeyoung? Chaeyoung's lips start turning down and Tzuyu starts panicking. Chaeyoung starts ignoring her and Tzuyu starts getting anxiety.

 

Same old … I’m not even gonna bother--

 

Tzuyu sighs, then grabs the phone from her sulking friend. She buries her head in her pillow, putting her blanket up her chin. She puts up the phone a little bit above her eye level, then puts up a smile before she takes a picture while looking up. Satisfied with the picture, Tzuyu throws her phone back to Chaeyoung, then quickly turns around.

 

I’m guessing, this is a rough morning, eh?

If Tzuyu wasn’t thinking she’ll puke every 5 minutes… the date was actually going smoothly as planned. Which is way better than what Tzuyu was initially thinking.

 

 In Tzuyu’s 20 years of existence, she had only been on 4 dates. (Well, none. Because all of those she wasn’t aware that it was a romantic date. But shhh. Another topic for another time)

 

Now that she knows, and worse… pretending to be someone else, her mind is filled with how everything can go wrong, and how she’s gonna end up hurting this sweet girl who’s currently holding her hand (which is flashing a red flag in Tzuyu’s min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter