we're still the same as before, but just a little closer now.

Nothing's Changed

I will ing go down with this ship like the captain did with Titanic. I'm so soft for them.

 

Minnie’s eyes flutter open at the sound of an alarm clock going off beside her, and she stretches her arms up to the headboard while a yawn escapes her dry lips. She grabs her phone to shut off the blaring noise before slowly climbing out of bed to start her day, doing a few stretches this way and there now that she’s a little more awake.

 

In the hallway, Soyeon has also woken up and is already on her way to make coffee. The leader greets her unnie with a soft “morning” as she tiredly rubs the sleep from her groggy cat eyes.

 

“Soojin messaged me earlier. Said she and the others would be having breakfast here.” Soyeon informs Minnie when they pass each other.

 

“Alright. Is Yuqi awake?”

 

A shake of the head. “Still asleep. Apparently, she stayed up late playing PUBG with Shuhua and only stopped ‘cuz Miyeon-unnie dragged our maknae to bed. Even Soojin had a harder time waking her up this morning.”

 

Aish, these two kids…

 

Minnie rolls her eyes with a sigh, but she doesn’t suppress her amused grin. “They’ve been pretty busy all week, so we can let this slide for now. Those kids deserve it.” She chuckles. “I’ll go check on our little energy ball.”

 

Soyeon gives her a thumbs-up before slinking away to the kitchen for her daily caffeine fix. Minnie ventures down towards the Han girl’s room and carefully opens the door, peeking inside the dim room where she finds Yuqi. Fast asleep under the covers like expected. Quietly, the Thai tip-toes in and shuts the door behind her so she can seat herself on the edge of Yuqi’s bed with care. She wouldn’t want to disturb the girl’s beauty sleep, after all. Yuqi can get rather scary when that happens.

 

During moments like this, Minnie gets to truly appreciate the sleeping form of their second youngest in secret. Yuqi looks so content and peaceful in this resting state, curled up like a small cocoon and hugging her beloved giraffe plush in her arms. Pure, innocent, and downright wholesome. As she always is.

 

Cutie.

 

Gently, very gently, Minnie tucks a few strands of ginger-colored hair behind Yuqi’s ear and allows her fingertips to trail down the side of her dongsaeng’s precious doll face. She caresses Yuqi’s cheek with the knuckles of her fingers, then traces the length of her jawline in delicate of her thumb. Admiring the specks of gingerbread freckles that scatter along the highpoints of Yuqi’s marshmallow cheeks like stars in the galaxy.

 

Somehow, Minnie lets her fingertips go as far as to graze over those full lips the color of strawberry mochis that she adores very much. They feel so soft… and kissable. Just like she imagined them to be. On one too many occasions, for that matter.

 

(Yuqi doesn’t need to know about it, though.)

 

“Yuqi-ah…” She whispers, giving a light nudge to the young girl’s shoulder. “… it’s time to get up.”

 

Yuqi knits her eyebrows together into a slight frown. “Hmmm…?” She mumbles, hugging the giraffe closer to her as her face presses more into the pillow. For an energy pill, Yuqi can be quite lazy in the morning.

 

“Soyeon told me that the others are coming here for breakfast. You need to wake up now.”

 

The Beijing puppy only hums as a reply, far too sleepy to even open her eyes a crack. Minnie clicks her tongue lightly and decides to shake her awake, but a hand unexpectedly latches around her wrist and yanks the surprised Thai forward. A small yelp escapes her lips just as she lands right next to Yuqi with their faces leaning dangerously close to each other.

 

Minnie’s breath gets caught in as she stares with wide eyes. That all-too-familiar blush creeps into her cheeks at their sudden proximity, and it takes everything in her not to squeak in utter panic.

 

“Y-Yuqi…?”

 

The girl in question doesn’t say instead. Instead, she just tosses the giraffe plush behind her (much to the elder’s shock) and takes Minnie in its place. Yuqi’s arms find their way around Minnie’s torso and pull the stunned mouse to her chest. Engulfing her in the warmth and scent of peachy vanilla.

 

Holy .

 

With her heart pounding loudly in her chest, Minnie is thankful that Yuqi couldn’t hear it. But it sure as Hell feels like it was ready to burst through her ribcage any time soon. Especially when Yuqi tightens her embrace before burying her nose into Minnie’s inky-black hair.

 

“Your hair smells nice.” She mumbles over her scalp. “Sorta reminds me of cinnamon.”

 

Minnie hides her burning face in the hollow of Yuqi’s neck. “Thanks…”

 

Now, Minnie has always been an affectionate person. She isn’t the type to withhold herself from showering her members with love through hugs and hand-holding. Even the occasional cuddle. The same goes for Yuqi, although she tends to be a lot bolder in her actions towards Minnie. Such as the time that she openly kissed her cheek in front of Neverlands during the birthday VLive they did together for Minnie’s birthday. The older girl became really shy after that, and seeing Yuqi’s victorious grin didn’t help her case either.

 

“W-We still have to get up, you know?”

 

“Five more minutes, unnie. Just stay with me.” Yuqi tells her as she adjusts to a more comfortable position so they can snuggle better.

 

Minnie grows flustered at her request. “But what about the girls?” She murmurs into her neck, lips brushing softly against her skin from the action.

 

“They can go ahead, ‘is fine…”

 

Yuqi then proceeds to comb a hand through her long hair, fingers threading gingerly between the dark tresses as her other hand draws slow circles into her lower back. The gentle ministrations have Minnie feeling drowsy, and she can’t help but relax further under the soothing touches as she expels a pleased sigh. Blissfully unaware of the half-smile playing on Yuqi’s face from her reaction.

 

“Sleep, unnie. It seems like you still need it.” The Han girl encouraged while the back of her head and scratching it lightly with the ends of her nails. Yuqi is petting her. It feels rather strange but… oddly comforting. Something Minnie can definitely get used to.

 

I wouldn’t mind falling asleep like this every night.

 

“Okay.”

 

Minnie gets settled in right away, throwing her free arm over Yuqi’s waist and keeping the other one wrapped around her abdomen as she cuddles up to Yuqi before closing her eyes. The last thing she remembers at that moment is feeling a pair of lips kissing the top of her head and a soft voice whispering.

 

“Sweet dreams, unnie…”

 

 

Soyeon doesn’t know what the Hell happened to her two dormmates. All she knows then is that Minnie has left to wake Yuqi up, and now the both of them haven’t shown up for the past fifteen minutes already.

 

“What on Earth are they even doing in there?” The leader mutters to herself as she takes a small, scalding sip of her freshly-brewed coffee. Courtesy of the new Nespresso machine that their manager had gifted to them after they moved dorms, mainly to satiate Soyeon’s caffeine addiction that keeps her operating all day like a well-oiled machine.

 

Soojin would probably whack her on the head with a spatula or something as a consequence for drinking it without eating first.

 

“Drinking coffee on an empty stomach might give you indigestion, Soyeonnie! Are you trying to land yourself in the hospital?!” The dancer would chastise, stern but well-meaning. And, really, Soyeon does listen to Soojin. Sometimes.

 

Jinnie is only looking out for your health. You should be thankful.

 

Of course, she genuinely appreciates her partner’s concern and care for her own well-being. Soyeon just tends to be as painfully stubborn as Yuqi.

 

Speaking of, she should seriously check on those girls.

 

“Yah, what are you guys—Oh.”

 

Soyeon is shocked to find her two members sleeping together on Yuqi’s bed. All bundled up in the sheets and cuddling each other as Yuqi holds the Thai so intimately close in her arms while Minnie is resting peacefully in her embrace, head nestled underneath the young girl’s chin.

 

They both look so tranquil like this, it’d be a shame for her to just ruin the serenity this early in the morning. Well… if you still consider 10AM early, that is.

 

With a fond smile, Soyeon opts to leave them be and closes the door as gently as possible. She’ll just tell the others to save their share of the food for later when they do eventually wake up, and maybe keep a certain T&J duo from making too much noise with their playful bantering that might disturb the other two foreigners. The last thing Soyeon wants is for a grumpy Yuqi to be added into the already chaotic mix of just Shuhua and Miyeon being in one room together.

 

As the leader, she did promise their manager that they wouldn’t break another chair this time around.

 

 

Later in the afternoon, Yuqi finally wakes up and opens her eyes to see Minnie clinging onto her like a koala to a branch. One leg is draped over her own, and Minnie’s head is still slotted under her chin. Her soft snoring blows feather-light brushes of warm air against her neck that make her feel ticklish, but she dares not to squirm for the sleeping girl’s sake. Minnie looks so cute, Yuqi just doesn’t have the heart to wake her up.

 

Not that she needed to, anyway, because the older girl starts to rouse herself as she languidly peels away to rub at her bleary eyes.

 

“Morning, unnie.”

 

Minnie shudders at the faint rumble in . Yuqi’s voice is usually low and even, but the traces of sleep left it huskier than normal. It sounds deeper, calming too. The rough edge made her normal, velvety tenor voice even more attractive to her ears.

 

“Good morning.” Minnie smiles as she moves to stretch her limbs, only to pause a beat later once she realizes the compromising position they’re in. With a panicked squeak, she tries to put some distance between them in an effort to save face and would’ve fallen off the bed had Yuqi not grabbed her in time.

 

“Leaving so soon? And here, I thought we were getting closer.” Yuqi puts on that smug little smirk of hers as she raises a brow in jest. Minnie was torn between screaming inwardly or smacking Yuqi upside her stupidly adorable head.

 

“Don’t give me that, Song Yuqi. It’s way too early for your teasing right now.” Minnie grumbled, pouting. “And just so you know, I’m hungry.”

 

“Why didn’t you eat earlier then?”

 

“Because a certain someone was too clingy and wanted me to stay with her!”

 

A hearty laugh floats out from Yuqi’s smiling lips. “Right, right. My bad, unnie. We can still eat breakfast together, though. Come on.”

 

They clamber out of bed together, and Yuqi goes to stretch her arms over her head to work out the kinks in her joints and shoulders. Minnie tries not to gawk at the younger’s body when her shirt rides up from the action, flashing the contours of her well-toned stomach for a few good seconds before they disappear behind the cloth. Oh my…

 

“After you.” Yuqi gestures out the door of her room, holding it open as she gives an exaggerated bow.

 

Minnie chuckles at the valiant display. “Wow, such a gentlewoman.” She teased.

 

“Only for you, unnie.” The flirty wink Yuqi throws her way has Minnie’s heart skipping a beat, but she covers up her bashfulness by shaking her head as she smiles appreciatively.

 

While the members are nowhere to be seen, Soyeon had messaged Yuqi to inform the two about them leaving to go grocery shopping after Soojin cooked up everything in the Gashina dorm to satisfy Shuhua’s endless cravings. The other girls did save their breakfast share on the dining table and covered the plates with plastic lids to keep the food fresh for them. Today, it’s pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs (per Miyeon’s request), and a side of toast. A simple American-style breakfast.

 

The pair of them ate in relative silence, but with a bit of small talk and some laughing from both sides when Yuqi cracked a few jokes. Being around the second youngest was like standing in the presence of Sunshine personified, and it felt very refreshing. The atmosphere was always light and carefree, just like the person who initiated it. No wonder Yuqi is called the mood-maker of the group.

 

“You have some ketchup over here.” Minnie points at the little red stain on the corner of Yuqi’s (tempting) lips.

 

“Clean it for me?” The cheeky girl bats her eyelashes with feigned innocence, and Minnie almost stabs her with a fork. “Pretty please, unnie?”

 

“You’re lucky you’re cute.” Minnie scoffed, but she doesn’t hesitate to grab a piece of tissue and wipe the stain off. “This kid, I swear…”

 

“Oh, please. You love this kid.”

 

She’s totally not blushing right now. “Say what you want.” Minnie deflects with a mutter.

 

“Mhm. Love you too, unnie.”

 

Had Yuqi not looked away sooner, she would’ve noticed how Minnie flinched after hearing that.

 

I love you’s weren’t alien to them. They often relay it to each other as off-handed remarks from time to time. Something that just comes out of repetitive habit, but not lacking in its sentiment. Nowadays, they like to joke about hating one another and loving the other members more. But even then, they’re both still hyper-aware of the underlying meanings to their words. A mutual understanding that is exclusive only to them.

 

But why does Yuqi saying “I love you” now feel so… different?

 

Minnie shakes her mind free of those thoughts. Don’t dwell on it too much, Nicha. It’s not that deep.

 

A fork then comes into her view with a piece of syrup-covered pancake speared to it. She gazes to her left and finds Yuqi grinning at her as she motions at the food with her fork. “Say, ahhh.”

 

Rolling her eyes playfully, Minnie decides to entertain her silly dongsaeng and does what’s asked of her. The fluffy pancake seems to almost melt in , just like her heart when she’s rewarded with that precious eye-smile from a happy Yuqi.

 

From there, the Han girl would randomly feed the Thai parts of her own food in spite of Minnie having her perfectly fine breakfast in front of her. She was initially worried about eating off Yuqi’s plate, knowing very well that the latter ate almost as much as Shuhua does in one sitting. However, Yuqi insisted that it was fine and she wasn’t very hungry.

 

Heat creeps back into Minnie’s cheeks upon making eye contact with Yuqi’s stunning dark eyes that would stare at her like she’s the most interesting thing in that room. It feels flattering, really, but her nerves are growing restless under the sheer weight of Yuqi’s intensive gaze. But even so, Minnie couldn’t look away from them as Yuqi fed her the last slice of bacon on her plate.

 

What the heck is happening to me?

 

Maybe it’s because Minnie, for as much as she tries to deny it, has been harboring a crush on the Beijing puppy for quite some time now. She has yet to fully acknowledge it and accept the truth, mainly due to her fear of what it might entail. Liking Yuqi in that way didn’t scare her, but the idea of ruining their friendship did.

 

In all honesty, Minnie refuses to confront her feelings for Yuqi head-on. She’s inexperienced when it comes to romance and relationships, so the emotions that come with having a crush feel foreign to her. It wasn’t unwelcomed, rather, it was unnerving… and scary.

 

After finishing their meal, Minnie offers to clean the dishes (mostly to distract herself from her spinning thoughts) and puts Yuqi in charge of clearing the table. They go about their tasks diligently with Minnie humming a small tune while she works. As she’s scrubbing at a particularly stubborn stain, she suddenly feels a pair of lean arms circling her waist and a head propping itself on her shoulder. The tell-tale scent of peach and vanilla hits her, and the tips of her ears turn red almost instantly.

 

“Yuqi, what… what are you doing?” She stammered when Yuqi pressed their cheeks together.

 

“Dunno,” Minnie feels her shrug. “I just want to be close to you.”

 

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. “… Do you really expect me to wash the dishes like this?”

 

“Yup.”

 

Yuqi sounded so pleased with herself, Minnie chose to just let it slide (again) and not-so-begrudgingly resume her task with butterflies in her stomach. Dammit, she’s already full. Thanks a lot, Song Yuqi.

 

Even though her heart is running a mile a minute with how fast it’s beating, Minnie easily grows comfortable in Yuqi’s embrace. And how could she not, when the young girl is holding her so preciously, so protectively? Gentle and careful, but firm and secure? Minnie isn’t normally fond of being treated like a delicate shard of glass (she’s a strong, independent adult, thank you very much), but she also can’t oppose the fact that she feels so safe and at ease around Yuqi. Especially in this kind of position.

 

From an outsider’s perspective, perhaps they seem like an actual couple. Two sapphic girlfriends living their domestic lives together outside of their jobs as idols. Just another typical day in the household with one standing by the sink to do the dishes while the other stays behind to wrap their partner in a back hug.

 

The imagery of it makes her smile. That’s actually really nice.

 

But is Minnie ready to own up and confess her own feelings?

 

Before she could find her answer, Yuqi heaves out a sigh and leans further into her. “I miss this, unnie.” She quietly mumbles, tightening her arms around Minnie as she speaks. “We haven’t been spending much time together lately.”

 

Her tone bears a weight of longing in it, and Minnie is quick to set aside the rest of their dirty plates in order to give the second youngest her full attention. She turns to face Yuqi and feels her chest ache at the sight of those doll eyes staring back at her sadly.

 

Yuqi is the type of person to wear her heart on her sleeve and have her emotions out in the open, so reading her was like skimming through an open book.

 

She’s right, though. Moments like this were rare and far in-between because of their hectic schedules and solo activities. These past several months have been loaded with guest appearances, award show performances, fan meetings, and now the preparation of their upcoming world tour. There was barely any free time for the group to fully relax and unwind, even during the weekends. It’s only after seeing how fatigued the girls have become that their agency finally granted them a day-off to recuperate at last.

 

“Hey…” Minnie places her hands on Yuqi’s shoulders and musters up what she hopes is a reassuring smile. “I know we’ve been pretty busy these past few months. But once this is all over, we can hang out again and do whatever we want. No schedules, no practices, and no managers breathing down our necks. Okay?”

 

Thankfully, her words were enough to alleviate some of the baggage Yuqi carried around with her. Save for the frown marring her face. “Yeah, but… That isn’t what’s bothering me the most right now.”

 

The elder copies her expression. “What is it then?”

 

Minnie was not prepared for what Yuqi had to say next.

 

“We’re not as close as we used to be, unnie.”

 

Immediately, the Thai falls silent. Her voice seems to have left her as soon as she takes in the gravity of Yuqi’s quiet words and the somber expression that leaves a cracking imprint on her heart. Minnie isn’t used to seeing the bubbly girl acting so out of her element. Smile gone, and the spark in her eyes dying along with it.

 

The black-haired girl realizes then that she doesn’t like that look. Not one bit.

 

“Yuqi-ah…”

 

“Maybe I’m just overthinking it, you know? Like you said, we’ve been pretty busy.” Yuqi laughs, but it sounds hollow and void of any real humor. “But still, it feels as if we’ve gotten distant with each other. I know we have our personal lives outside of work and friends whom we spend time with outside of the group. We can’t always be around one another, and I get that. But…”

 

Her gaze suddenly shifts elsewhere, purposely avoiding Minnie’s eyes due to her own shame. It’s not an easy thing to feel or say, because it’s hard being vulnerable sometimes. And yet, Yuqi still pushes on.

 

“I missed the times when it was just us, unnie… We used to sneak out of the dorms together and get snacks or go shopping until we got tired from walking around all day. Sometimes, we’d even watch a movie by ourselves and treat each other to food right after. Then we’d go around Seoul taking pictures and exploring new places to the point that we forget how long we’ve been out. Everyone back home is wondering where we went, and Soyeon-unnie would go on a rant about how worried they all were and how we should tell them where we’re going next time just in case we go missing. Crazy stuff, but that’s her way of showing how much she cares.”

 

The absurdity in that last part has Yuqi smiling a little, which Minnie copies because it’s such a “Soyeon” thing to expect from their short but responsible leader. However, the memories of what things used to be back then made her feel melancholic. It’s been so long since they’ve last done those sorts of activities and tomfoolery together, yet it took Yuqi bringing the topic up for Minnie to actually see how much it’s eating away at the younger’s conscience.

 

Guilt weaves its way into her mind. Was Minnie really this ignorant not to have noticed Yuqi’s silent plights? Her longing, her desire to bring back the good, old times that were once filled with laughter and polaroid notes storing away secret messages and hidden feelings behind their joyful smiles?

 

Was Minnie that bad of a friend, of an unnie, to have turned the blind eye because she failed to see beyond that fabricated smile Yuqi would plaster on to cover up her emotions?

 

These musings left a sour taste in Minnie’s mouth.

 

“I miss all that. I miss us, and I miss you.” Yuqi continues from there, her voice turning as soft as her eyes when she utters that last word. “It sounds super freaking cheesy, I know, but it’s the truth… I-I don’t think I was ever this brutally honest with anyone before, and it’s kinda unnerving.”

 

The younger laughs again. This time, it’s a lot more forced in an effort to push away the impending awkwardness. “Ah, forget what I said… I probably sound really stupid and needy, now that I think about it. Sorry for dampening the mood, unnie. And for possibly coming off as selfish.”

 

“I don’t think you’re selfish.”

 

Minnie argues then, her tone set and unflinching. A resolute determination has settled over her features as she locks eyes with Yuqi, who almost shrinks back under the fierce intensity of her glare. She softens her gaze when the Han girl tenses up in her hold and loosens some of the grip that she has on her shoulders. There was no need to make Yuqi any more uncomfortable with the situation than she already is.

 

“Yuqi, I’m so sorry for not realizing this sooner. I just… I didn’t think that it actually bothered you this much, and I feel like such a horrible unnie for not looking after my dongsaeng well enough. I should’ve taken care of you better, and I’m sorry for that. I’m so used to seeing you happy and cheerful all the time, I forget that you’re also capable of feeling sad or lonely.”

 

Without missing a beat, Minnie gingerly cups Yuqi’s face between her hands. Gentle, but steady. She will not stand for Yuqi invalidating her own feelings in the way that she did and perceiving her troubles like they’re insignificant. Whatever affects her affects Minnie just as well.

 

“Didn’t we promise we’d tell these things to each other?”

 

The Beijing puppy gives a meek nod.

 

“We’re best friends, Yuqi. I don’t want you keeping all your problems to yourself just because you think that they’re stupid, because they’re not. And I don’t want you to think that what you’re feeling is insignificant or not worth being addressed at all. Your feelings, they… they matter to me. A lot.” Minnie stutters accidentally, and she swears at herself for letting that slip out loud.

 

Oh, screw it. This isn’t the time to chastise herself for that. Right now, Yuqi is her utmost priority.

 

“So, please don’t invalidate yourself. Alright?”

 

Her voice falters as she averts her gaze to the side, cheeks warming slightly after that small slip of the tongue. Dammit.

 

“Even though we haven’t spent much time together these past months, I still want you to know that you’re still so important and precious to me… and I don’t value you any less after this.”

 

Minnie concludes her speech and nervously awaits the response. Yuqi has been awfully quiet all throughout, so much so that the Thai grows increasingly anxious with every passing second in this pin-dropping silence. She’s about to retract her hands from the younger’s face—only to feel a smaller pair holding them in place.

 

“Thank you, unnie.” Came the simple but earnest reply from a smiling Yuqi, who is desperately trying to blink back her tears of relief as she stares at Minnie with such heartfelt appreciation and gratitude for everything that the older girl has said. It felt as if a huge weight was lifted off of her shoulders because of it, and she couldn’t be any more thankful for that.

 

This is exactly what Yuqi needed to hear. Reassurance and validation.

 

“Not just for understanding me, but for choosing to listen to whatever I have to say without any judgment. It’s hard for me to open up sometimes because I don’t want to seem petty or overly sensitive. But when I’m with you, I feel comfortable. I can speak my mind and not worry so much about how you’ll react, because I know you won’t treat me any less for it.”

 

Yuqi then presses her cheek further into one of Minnie’s bigger, much warmer hands that are still cradling her face. “You always know what to say in times like this, and I’m thankful to have you around for that. I mean it. Every time I have my doubts and insecurities, I can always rely on you to keep me grounded. I don’t think I would’ve made it this far without you, unnie… and the other members too, of course. And that’s what I adore about you.”

 

Minnie was at a loss for words. “Yuqi-ah, I…”

 

She can feel her own eyes watering at the honest sincerity in Yuqi’s voice while getting lost in those soft, brown pools that hold nothing else but pure, unadulterated love towards her.

 

Could it be, perhaps…?

 

“Sorry for being all mushy and senti-motional today. I’ve been wanting to say this for a long time, and now just feels like the right moment.” Yuqi rubs her nape as she musters a sheepish smile, her eyes disappearing into those adorable crescents that have Minnie’s heart floored.

 

“Yuqi.”

 

“Yeah, unnie?”

 

“I really want to kiss you right now.”

 

That’s when Yuqi laughs for real. Wholesome and straight from the chest. Genuine and filled with joyous mirth. She tugs Minnie forward by the waist and hugs her close until their faces are mere inches apart, their warm breaths fanning against each other as Yuqi’s eyelids flutter shut as she slowly leans in with bated anticipation. Minnie gladly follows suit and meets her halfway to finally lock their lips in a kiss that she only thought was possible in her dreams. (Indeed, she’s dreamt about this scenario one too many times for it to be healthy. But that doesn’t matter anymore.)

 

She immediately sighs into the Han girl’s mouth while latching her fingers onto the sides of her jaw to effectively hold Yuqi in place. The sweet and gratifying contact of their lips just moving together has Minnie melting like butter in her arms. And before they even knew it, they’ve already found a pace that feels right and natural for them. A steady, pleasant rhythm they can both keep up with easily. Not too insipid, but not too overwhelming either.

 

They plant a few tender pecks in the middle of their passionate exchange as Yuqi traps Minnie between her body and the countertop right behind. Kissing her deeply until they pull apart to catch their breath, panting against each other’s lips as their foreheads rest together. Curls of ginger lacing between curtains of black.

 

Minnie’s arms have found their way around Yuqi’s neck, her hands dangling in the air as she tries to find her voice. For all she knows, Yuqi must’ve stolen it right out of after kissing her senseless. Not that she’s complaining, though.

 

“That… That was…” Minnie attempts to speak, but she ends up failing because of how glazed over her brain has become.

 

“Mind-blowingly amazing?” Yuqi finishes on her behalf. That cocky, yet infuriatingly charming smirk weaseling its way back to her addictive lips.

 

“Don’t get ahead of yourself, Song.”

 

Minnie feigns indifference as she rolls her eyes half-heartedly. A mistake, it seems, because she couldn’t resist her infectious smile and her helpless giggling when Yuqi leans in again to bombard her pretty face with light smooches all over.

 

“Hey, wait! Don’t—!” She laughs in her (very) weak attempts to push Yuqi’s offending form away from her. Not that she put any real effort in doing so, honestly speaking. “Quit it, Yuqi! Y-Yah! Song Yuqi…!”

 

To her dismay—or delight, rather—Yuqi doesn’t relent on her kiss attack. “Not unless you say that you liked it!”

 

“Okay, okay! Fine! I liked it! Now, please stop!” Minnie wheezed as her eyes began to tear up mirthfully. She feels happy, elated, and fulfilled. But most of all, her heart is full.

 

Satisfied (mainly with herself), Yuqi gives her one last kiss on the tip of her nose and beams. All radiance and sunshine. The Thai almost squeals because of how utterly adorable she looks right now and does her best not to pinch her Beijing puppy’s cheeks until they turned red. How can someone be this physically cute?!

 

“See? Was that so hard, unnie?” Yuqi, this cheeky kid, simpers.

 

Minnie pokes the kitty curl on the corner of Yuqi’s mouth with her finger and pouts. “You’re such a brat sometimes…”

 

“Ah, yes. But I’m your brat.” Yuqi counters while tugging Minnie impossibly closer by the arms still belted around her waist. In response, Minnie pulls her gently by the neck to bring their faces forward for another kiss.

 

“My annoying, yet lovable brat.” She smiles, brushing their lips together in a way that drives Yuqi crazy. And it didn’t take long for the latter to dive in and capture those tantalizingly sweet lips between her own. Eagerly claiming them and Minnie as hers.

 

“So, what are we gonna tell the others when they come back?” Yuqi had to ask once they broke off the kiss, her voice coming out a little more breathless after going a bit harder this time. “Are we like… dating now? Girlfriends?”

 

The implication behind their current relationship status makes her heart flutter as a familiar warmth spread across her chest like sunlight in the early morning.

 

Girlfriends. Oh, Minnie loves the sound of that.

 

“Yeah. Girlfriends.” She confirms with a shy smile, blushing at the sight of Yuqi’s killer-white grin splitting across her face. God, this precious dork. “Let’s just keep it to ourselves for the meantime. I’m sure they’ll figure it out soon. And I doubt that it would take long for either Soojin or Shuhua to catch on, anyway.”

 

Yuqi hums in agreement. “Especially Shuhua. That kid can be pretty nosy whenever she wants to.”

 

“You’re just a few months older than her, Yuqi.”

 

“Excuse you. Those are very important months.”

 

Minnie rolls her eyes for the fourth time that morning. “Uh-huh, sure. Whatever boosts your ego, I guess.”

 

The two of them smile at each other before sharing one last kiss for a brief moment, and Minnie happily sinks into Yuqi’s strong embrace when the younger nibbles on her bottom lip like the damn tease she is.

 

And Minnie absolutely loves her.

 

“For now, let’s just enjoy ourselves while the girls aren’t home yet.” She murmurs against her lips. Yuqi complies with an all-too-eager nod and allows Minnie to finish cleaning up so they can relax in the living room right after.

 

Lounging side-by-side on the couch, Yuqi flips through the TV channels lazily as Minnie cuddles up to her side. Head nestled comfortably in the crook of Yuqi’s neck as the other girl drapes an arm around her shoulders. Minnie smiles unconsciously when she feels Yuqi distributing a few kisses along the top of her head. So soft and so loving, she could positively melt on the spot and just stay there forever.

 

It’s honestly no different from how they normally spend their time together. For them, it seems like another ordinary day in each other’s presence and company. Only this time, the connection between them has been reinforced with a much deeper and meaningful understanding of their mutual feelings for one another. Their relationship is now stronger, more intimate, and especially sentimental. Minnie isn’t scared anymore.

 

They’re still the same as before, but just a little bit closer.