[5] - Forgotten Moments

Keep You Close || JENSOO

Chapter 5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Why do you look so terrified? Did something happen?"  Jisoo says with a calm tone and worried expressions.

 

Jennie stays silent for a seconds, looking at her shocked, until she becomes aware of herself and shakes her head as she turns her head to the side.

 

She can't look at her face.  Why did she have to hear that?

 

 "Okay."  Jisoo adds almost as whisper as she nods with understandment, to then she follows with a sleepy eyes. "I was on my way to go to my room, would you like to accompany me?"

 

Jennie nods as she looks up to her and when their eyes meet for a moment, Jennie quickly turns her eyes somewhere else.  Jisoo notices it but she doesn't dwell on it, she's exhausted and doesn't have the energy to think about anything right now.

 

 She walks towards the stairs as she trails Jennie, who was quietly following her.  As they were heading up, all Jennie had in her mind was what she heard from the maids in the kitchen.  She feels ashamed, as if she heard something that should not be heard.

 

And why is this?  Why does she feel guilty?  It's not like she heard it on purpose! 

 

She looks up towards Jisoo, seeing only her back and the way she walks; slowly and swaying a little.  Jennie was keeping her pace slow same as Jisoo's, so she wouldn't collide with her.

 

'She looks ... tired.' 

 

Why does she keep thinking about that?  She doesn't care at all!  Whether she is tired or not, her private life doesn't concern her.  She has to act as if she hasn't heard anything, she is only here until she finds another solution.  That is if she stayed.

 

They arrive at the wing and Jisoo enters first and heads to her room, and before she goes inside, she wishes Jennie a good night. Which Jennie reciprocates it with a nod and a smile. When Jisoo opens the door of her room, Jennie catches an inside glimpse before the door closes.

 

 

 ** "Ma'am ... we just got the secret code for the safe in your room, we can move the money in now."  **

 

Jennie remembers what Min Yoo said as she looks at Jisoo's closed door, sighs deeply and heads to her room.

 

'Really, What am I thinking?'

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

Kim Sehun was sitting in his office at his company's headquarters in Seoul, working on some reports, when the phone rang beside him.  He puts the file aside and then picks up  the phone.

 

/ "I apologize for the inconvenience, sir. I just wanted to let you know that Ms. Kim Eun Ji would like to see you. Will I allow her- ah .. wait a moment- Ma'am! You can't enter like this!  Ma'am"\

 

Sehun sighs helplessly and puts the phone back when he hears the door opening and closing forcefully, she's here. And he has an idea for what reason this might be.

 

Eun Ji walks in strides and fast steps, heading towards Sehun, looking very angry.

 

 "I can't believe you did this!"  She says in an angry tone, when she becomes close to his desk.  "How can you give her the mansion in Jeju Island? That mansion belongs to our father, how can you give it to her so simple?"

 

 "done?"  Sehun says calmly, as he gets up from the chair, making Eun Ji look at him with disbelief.

 

 "Good. The mansion was transformed by my father to me under my name long ago before he died."  Sehun states confidently.

 

 "What? What are you saying? You're lying. Why don't I have any knowledge of this?"  Eun Ji says in a stressed tone as she looks at him denouncing.

 

 "Because he simply knew that your reaction would be like this. Also, don't you think it's time for you to stop with your hate? Or rather, leave Jisoo out of it!"

 

 "Hate? What hate? All I'm asking for is fairness. You didn't even make that much of an effort in your life and my father gives you an entire mansion? You don't even stay there when you go to Jeju!" She says, moving her hands in the air, in great annoyance. "You must be kidding with me. As if the shame that you and your mistress brought to us is not enough, your daughter goes and dates the son of our competitor! And now you send her to entertain herself. Don't you think you've gone too far here?"

 

"Since you chose to leave the one you love to marry someone you don't even know, for the benefit of your company only, I don't expect you to understand." Sehun says with his hands on the desk, disappointed. 

 

 "All I ask of you, is that you leave Jisoo alone. She has been through enough."

 

shocked by what her brother just told her, she stays silent for a moment. All these years, she thought she kept it a secret but now..

 

 "What are you talking about? What nonsense are you talking about?"

 

"No need to pretend. I know everything." He says in a firm tone. "Now, please, if you allow me, I still have work to do."

 

She stands still, trying to absorb what is happening and when she does, she doesn't show any reaction that indicates annoyance or tension. She cannot, and her pride doesn't allow her to do so.

 

"You think you made some kind of point because you know this much?" She says in a ridicul tone, to then she  turns around and starts walking until she gets to the door and stops.

 

" Tell Jisoo to prepare for the party that will be held next month, it is better for her to prepare well. It's the only chance we have to regain our status among the families." She finishes her words without looking back and heads out, closing the door behind her forcefully.

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

"Okay, I know..we deserve it, but like..really? Cleaning the whole garden as a punishment is greatly exaggerated."

 

Lisa says to Jennie and Chaeyoung in a low voice as she tries not to move her lips, holding the water pipe while she's spraying water on different sides of the back garden. Chaeyoung was t the trees while Jennie was sitting, squatting, taking off the dead grass and putting it in the bag next to her. All of them were with their back facing the mansion and Lisa stealing looks from time to time to check if there's anyone around.

 

"You're literally just watering the plants!" Chaeyoung says in a whisper.

 

 "Ugh? Do you want me to work while my hand is like this? I'm hurt." Lisa says making a fake sad expression. 

 

She turns her head to take a look and sees Jisoo and Min Yoo standing behind the glass door of the hall, which is a distance away from their location, then she turns her head back.

 

 "They're just standing like that, talking, it has already been several minutes! Don't they get bored?" She's says squinting her eyes from the sun. "Do you think they are talking about us? Like are they suspecting us?"

 

"As for the old man, yes he does." Jennie answers in low tone, through almost closed lips, as she changes her position to another spot, carrying the bag with her.

 

"What? How did you know?" Chaeyoung says in an absurd tone.

 

"In your opinion, why would he mention such an important matter, like the safe, in front of us?" Jennie answers in a matter of fact. 

 

she wipes her forehead from sweat, starting to feel the heat from the sunny weather today, she closes her eyes and opens them repeatedly in an attempt to focus more while she is working.

 

 "Safe? What safe? I don't remember hearing him talking about any of that." Lisa says, confused.

 

"You literally were beside me yesterday at lunch when he mentioned it!" Jennie snaps through gritted teeth without looking at her. "Where was your mind? Oh wait..don't answer! I know where it was." She adds, deadpanning.

 

"Is he trying to test us? This doesn't make sense. Of course we won't try to steal the safe! huh ​​right?"

 

"Of course not!" Chaeyoung agrees while Jennie stays silent.

 

"Jennie?" Lisa asks in a suspicious tone. "You don't intend to steal it, right?"

 

"Of course not!" 

 

A little silence then.."Maybe?"

 

"Are you crazy? You opposed us because we broke into the mansion and now you are thinking of stealing their money. What is wrong with you?"

 

"I don't know! Okay? I don't know. I’m just thinking. We both know that we won't stay here forever and I cannot stay outside either. Regardless of any of this,  we cannot do it."

 

She’s a smart girl. If she really wants to steal her, she can. It will take a lot of time and plans, but she can..well, she'll do her best. What prevents her is that she rejects such actions in the first place.

 

"Right, since you mentioned it, when we first met you were running away from some men." Chaeyoung starts, calmly. "Why were they chasing after you, why can't you stay outside?"

 

"Hey..We are in this together. If you want to do something, you won't be able to do it alone. So it's better for you to let us know the full story." Lisa adds when Jennie stills and doesn't answer.

 

Jennie stays silent for another moments then she takes deep breath and starts talking.

 

 "They were chasing me because they think that I have their money."

 

"Money? What money?" Chaeyoung asks, getting more interested to hear the rest of the story.

 

"My father..stole ten million dollars from a mafia boss and after that he fled. And now they're looking after me and my father."

 

 Lisa and Chaeyoung, both freeze for a few moments, surprised by what they just heard. They exchange side looks to then they return to their assigned work.

 

"Forget it,  you're alone in this." Lisa says in serious tone, with a straight face. She takes a quick look at the mansion and squints her eyes as she turns her head back when she doesn't find them standing there anymore.

 

"We don't know you at all. Leave us out of this ." Chaeyoung adds, mirroring Lisa facial expressions and tone.

 

"It's not been minutes since you said you were with me! what's with this sudden change?"

 

"Sorry, but we still want to live another few years." 

 

"Damn you-  Shhh..silent, someone is coming."

Jennie digresses when she hears the sliding sound of the glass door, opening.

 

Jisoo walks towards them, crossing her arms and approaches Jennie while she's sitting, continuing pulling off the dead grass. Jisoo stretches her arm in front of Jennie's eyes and waves her hand to attract her attention. When Jennie notices her she immediately stands up.

 

 "You can stop now, go and rest a little inside."

 

She stares at Jisoo for her sudden request, then leaves what is in her hand and bows to Jisoo and then goes inside. Jisoo turns her eyes to Chaeyoung and asks her to do the same while Lisa is just standing, dumbfounded, watching them go. And she's wondering why she is the only one who she didn’t ask to take a break.

 

Jisoo waits for the girls to go inside and then she turns to look at Lisa and finds her smiling wide, apparently waiting for Jisoo to tell her to go and have a break, but she just turns back around and go.

 

'The ?'

 

She knows that all she's doing is just watering the plants, and she thinks they're gonna die soon from overwatering, but it's tiring too!

 

Jisoo heads to Min Yoo who was standing in front of the glass door and asks him to take her portraits off the walls.

 

 "Really? Why? They're beautiful, it's- okay, we will take them down right now." He digresses quickly when he sees Jisoo's straight expressions and rushes to the inside.

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 

Jennie and Chaeyoung get out of their rooms to complete their work.  As they're descending, Jennie notices that the maids are lifting the portraits off the walls and they are almost done.

 

She furrows as she keeps walking to the back garden, in wonder.

 

 Why does she feel like Jisoo has read her mind?

 

They go out and heads towards Lisa to find her sitting on the edge of the lane that surrounds the park with the water pipe in her hand, and she has closed it as she stares into the void.

 

 Lisa take notice of their arrival and stands up. 

 

 "Welcome back, traitors!"

 

 "Did you miss me?" Chaeyoung replies, teasing her.

 

"Yes, and this missed you more!" She says opening the tube and starts spraying the water at Chaeyoung's direction.

 

"Hey, what are you doing? Stop!" Chaeyoung exclaims as she escapes from one spot to another while Lisa chases her. 

 

 "Stop before someone comes! Chaeyoung! Stop laughing so loud, stop!"

 

 Jennie says in a low voice through gritted teeth as she tries to stop them but it's no use.

 

Lisa continues to mess around with Chaeyoung while Chaeyoung escapes from her, trying not to raise her voice, until she suddenly stops and turns toward Lisa with a revenge look on her face, making Lisa stop too, looking confused. With a surprising move, Chaeyoung starts chasing Lisa back, turning to Tom and Jerry the Korean version.

 

Looking at them, Jennie just gives up and goes back to her previous work ignoring the water drops that are falling on her.

 

. . . . . . . . . . 

 

Jisoo, who was working in her office, goes down to take a break and to check on them. She hears low sounds coming from the garden as she gets closer, sounds of laughters, she walks closer and looks from behind the glass, and sees Lisa and Chaeyoung playing with water. They had become completely wet, smiling widely. And she stares at them for moments.

 

Seeing them like this; laughing and playing around with each other, warms her heart and a weak smile forms on her face.

 

Something she never had.

 

. . . . . . . .

 

 

 "What are you doing?"

 

They suddenly stop when they hear Jisoo's voice, and Lisa just stills, staring at her with a caught-in-crime expression.

 

 'Damn! it's Jisoo! I hope our laughs weren't loud.'

 

 They were loud.

 

Thinking while exchanging looks with Chaeyoung, after both of them have calmed down, they stand looking down, under the mercy of Jisoo.

 

 "Who allowed you to play?" Jisoo says with a cold tone as she tries to look angry, but ending up looking cute instead. 

 

Silence lasts for a while until Lisa raises her head and raise the pipe in front Jisoo and waves her head a little to the side as if she asking her to play with them, this is what she thought of, to overthrow the strange atmosphere that prevailed between them. 

 

Shocked, Jisoo just Stares at her in disbelief. Is this really the best way out she could think of?

 

 "What? Play with you? Are you kidding me?"

 

Lisa lowers her head again and she seems frustrated when she hears Jisoo's response.  As for Jennie, who was quietly watching them, a  tremendous curiosity invades her to know what Jisoo might do if someone pressed her too much? if someone really got on her nerves. She's always nice and calm, but what does she really look like from the inside? 

 

And Jennie being Jennie, this's just how she is. She has a tendency to push people around her to the edge and see their reaction afterwards, see what their true colors are. Because no one is perfect and no one is really all sweet and kind.

 

She stands up and goes to snatch the water pipe from Lisa and stands in front of Jisoo, looking at her as if she is challenging her. To then she opens the pipe and sprays Jisoo with a bit amount of water. 

 

It was a surprising move and a fast one, which made Jisoo try to avoid the water with her hand as she turned her head.

 

Shocked by what Jennie just did, she turns her head back and looks at her with great amazement, while Jennie is still wearing the same expressions. She gestures to Jisoo as she tilts her chin with fast motion up as if to say 'What are you gonna do?', challenging.

 

She repeats it and throws Jisoo with water again, but this time, Jisoo doesn't show any reaction nor she tries to avoid it and lets herself receive the water, except that the way she looks has changed from amazement to..

 

  'You have chosen death.'

 

She starts walking closer to Jennie, at the same time Jennie starts to walk backwards, their eyes screaming that there's a war about to start, the intensity of the looks between them can roast a chicken. Lisa realizes that if she remains there she won't go out safe and so she nudges Chaeyoung to move away.

 

Suddenly, Jisoo speeds up, and Jennie does the same immediately, moving away from her, as Jisoo chases her while she continues to throw water up and backward, evading Jisoo so she won't be able to catch her. If Lisa and Chaeyoung were representing Tom and Jerry, these two are about to produce a WWE show.

 

And if Jennie tends to push people to the edge, Jisoo lives to teach them a lesson. And she’ll teach this cat eyed girl a good one.

 

As this continues, Jisoo forgets herself as she chases Jennie and begins to smile weakly groudly, as well as for Jennie. It even reaches the point where they fall and starts to fight ignoring the mud and whoever holds the pipe is the winner and gets to wash the other with water. Flipping over each other on the ground, once it's Jennie above Jisoo and the second after it's Jisoo and so on.

 

Their game is about to come to an end when Jisoo wins, sitting on the stomach of Jennie, pinning her arms on the ground above her, and for someone who looks fragile as her, she has a strong grip. Both of them are trying to catch their breath while they are staring at each other, with Jisoo’s smiling weakly at the corner of , proud of her victory.

 

 "Ahm! Ma'am.." Min Yoo cuts in ending whatever that was going on, drawing their attention. 

 

Jisoo freezes in her place, looking at him surprised, then she looks at Jennie as she returns to the reality slowly and quickly releases Jennie's arms and gets off of her. Embarrassed, she extends her hand to help Jennie get up and then turns her attention to Min Yoo.

 

 

 "I apologize for interrupting my lady.."

 

"Oh, umm- don't worry. It's a- did something happen?" Jisoo says as she wipes mud off her face, tiding her hair and clothes like nothing has happened, even though she has become wet and completely dirty. Getting back to her authoritative mode.

 

 "I just wanted to let you know that there's a guest, asking to meet you, ma'am."

 

"Oh well ... Mmm, would you please lead them to the guests’ lounge at the front side of the mansion and also, would you ask them to wait a little. As you can see I cannot meet them in this situation?" She says sheepishly.

 

 "Of course ma'am, take your time."

 

Min Yoo goes, leaving both Jisoo and Jennie standing still in their place, neither of them can look at the face of the other. Both of them removed the barrier between them for moments. The barrier that was supposed to remain standing because, simply, it shows a side of you that you don't want others to see. 

 

Jisoo tries to break the silence and says something but finds herself unable to, and all she was able to say was that she had to go to meet the guests. Jennie nods, and the silence returns between them again. Jisoo looks at Jennie a little and then turns her face away and goes as she paces in an accelerated steps inside.

 

Jennie breathes a sigh of relief and turns around and sees Lisa and Chaeyoung embracing each other forcefully, looking towards her terrified.

 

"Chae, let's not joke with them again."

 

Chaeyoung agrees with her by moving her head up and down quickly.

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

After taking a quick bath, Jisoo sits on the edge of the bed drying her hair, remembering what happened previously in the garden and smiling.  The more she repeats it in her mind, the more embarrassed she becomes, which makes her lie down on her back and covers her face with the towel, feeling giddy.

 

She can't believe it! She completely forgot herself! And what was that girl thinking? What made her think that she can just go and joke with her like that? She’s Kim Jisoo, goddammit!

 

She moves the towel away from her face and stares at the ceiling, stuck on this faint undesirable feeling.

 

It's been a long time since she last felt like this. Is she excited? Is she more at ease? And why? She really doesn't understand, all they did was spraying each other with water or rather they were fighting with water. So why? Why does she feel like this?  Why does she feel as if..

 

As if they became..closer? 

 

For a moment there, she felt like they were just like any other friends..having a good time together.

 

Is there a possibility that they might become-

 

God, what is she thinking? friends? How will they become friends? It has not been two days since she met her! And why would she become friends with that girl? She’s grumpy and insolent. Plus, she's here only because she needs to stay here! She will leave as soon as the situation becomes suitable for her outside. 

 

'You hear me, Jisoo? Keep that in your mind.'

 

She stills, staring at the empty space, then her eyes widens when she realizes she has a guest waiting for her, wanting to meet her.

 

A guest she totally forgot about. She have to hurry up!

 

 

 . . . . . . . 

 

 

'What am I doing here?'

 

Does he really have to do this?  Aah, were it not for that fool! 

 

They asked him to wait a little, but more than a fifteen minutes have passed and no one to be seen, except for the maid who came to offer hospitality. And he's tired from looking at the walls. He can tell how much of pain in the this man will be.

 

 Matthew, who was standing looking at the paintings on the wall, the sound of the door opening coming in from behind him, catches his attention.

 

Somebody is finally coming.

 

The moment he turns, he sees Min Yoo enters first and after him a few servants, his eyes focusing on the door, eager to see the owner of the mansion. His curiosity has increased since they returned his men to him, he was thinking what kind of man he could possibly be that he possesses such an audacity and confidence and who does he think himself to act like that?

 

His questions and doubts all evaporate as soon as his eyes falls on her.

 

 

 

————————————

To be continued 

————————————